• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever been in an online relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • It was never an official relationship, but I had a mutual "thing" - for want of a better word - with a girl that lived like five hours away a few years ago. We'd met through mutual contacts and really hit it off. A little while later we became attracted to one another, we had really deep and emotional (and yes sexual) conversations online all the time. We used to stay up hours upon hours talking and the first thing we did every time we got home from somewhere was talk. One day however she deleted me and randomly stopped talking to me. From what I hear she's turned into a bit of a slut and is currently dating an idiot.

Honestly, I wish I still had her friendship. However I'm glad what we had never did progress any further because if it had I might not have ended up with my current SO and she is the most amazing person I have ever met.

Honestly, I need physical interaction. So any online relationship I would have would be a train wreck. If I ended up single again (which I sincerely hope never happens) I don't think I'd try anything online. I'm not trusting enough and these days I really need the physical contact. I think that online relationships can and do work out extremely well, the proof is everywhere on PC. However they aren't for me and not for a lot of people either. I'm certainly never going to say bad things about the people who try it though, best of luck to them.

Edit: Sorry for going into my hole life story, but for some reason I felt it was necessary.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Pardon me for suddenly intruding, but please tell me that this is some sort of a joke. It seems unhealthily narcissistic of you to say that someone considered you as some sort of omniscient being. I am sure you know your ex-girlfriend better than I but that still does not give you the right to speak in her place, especially on the topic of what she thought of you. Judging by your other posts in this thread, I am not particularly surprised why you do not know the reason why she left you. Perhaps instead of putting words in her mouth, you should analyze yourself and ponder if you ever went out of line.

I spent months doing that. A long time of painful analysis with no help of explanation... it is not a joke. And no, I do not mean she literally saw me as a God - but she gave me reverence near that. Before you come crashing down on my ego keep in mind she's psychotic as well - when she first met me she gravitated rather heavily around my arrogance then. I saw that. Loves men in uniform, was totally beyond submissive to me at every point... she had her idea of me. I doubt it's some erroneous failure on my part.

Time after time when I try to reconcile, I end up returning to the words someone shared with me a while ago: "You we're just too much, and some people can't handle that. It seems she had a lot of problems herself."

After parting in our relationship she'd always argue it wasn't me... and with how suddenly and randomly she left I don't understand how it could have been anyway. I had a minor beef with another friend and she was scrambling to mend things - it seems she was very bipolar emotionally. The words she told me are "I don't have the emotional capacity to reciprocate the love you gave me."

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Part of me kind of wants to do it, just to see if I'd like it. Having someone to talk to and imagine yourself with. That's really interesting to me.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I've had stupid flings online (and not many, I think only one or two). It was stupid and something I'd like to forget. As for future opportunities, I'd rather not. I can't deal with online relationships that are solely online. If we meet together often enough (which is like a couple times every month), I'd manage. But less so? No. It's different if we've already been dating and need to go online, though, like I move away to a different college or something. There's a chance of us seeing each other, and I'll probably legitimately like the person enough to want to try to stay with them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    There's only one person I ever considered for what I would call "a long distance relationship". I don't really believe in starting relationships online, I would always need to meet the person first. In the case of that one person, I would have probably tried to maintain it using the internet, but in saying that I would probably spend most of my cash trying to see them. So I suppose I put aside any such thoughts, we're not in the same place any more either anyway.

I see pursuing online relationships in the same way I see buying a t-shirt online shopping - it's exciting while I'm clicking the right buttons but I could immediately regret it once I get them into my bedroom.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    There's only one person I ever considered for what I would call "a long distance relationship". I don't really believe in starting relationships online, I would always need to meet the person first. In the case of that one person, I would have probably tried to maintain it using the internet, but in saying that I would probably spend most of my cash trying to see them. So I suppose I put aside any such thoughts, we're not in the same place any more either anyway.

I see pursuing online relationships in the same way I see buying a t-shirt online shopping - it's exciting while I'm clicking the right buttons but I could immediately regret it once I get them into my bedroom.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • There's only one person I ever considered for what I would call "a long distance relationship". I don't really believe in starting relationships online, I would always need to meet the person first. In the case of that one person, I would have probably tried to maintain it using the internet, but in saying that I would probably spend most of my cash trying to see them. So I suppose I put aside any such thoughts, we're not in the same place any more either anyway.

To continue this analogy, I think the selection is a lot different too! Some things are more out-front than others and still certain aspects are a gamble in person. I shop on Amazon exclusively so I guess it fits for me lol.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'm in one right now. X3 It can be hard, but I'm really committed to my boyfriend though. We both love each other, and we have fun goofing off a lot. He's also sweet and very understand too. He doesn't mind that I'm a fangirl since he tends to be somewhat of a fanboy. :P

Thing is, I found it easier for me because I'm not so big on physical affection. I don't know why. Perhaps, it's because of me having autism. I've always preferred having online relationships because I don't have to be in direct contact with the person.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I met two people online here on PC. The first was very unexpected for me, but it felt real. He and I just clicked. We enjoyed the same things, and matched each other perfectly. We did end up separating and we became distant, and now I haven't spoken to him for several years.

The second person I met is a fantastic person, though she doesn't know it. We got along great, still do, but it did end up being less of a relationship and just friendship after a while. If I had the choice, I would probably go back to it, but there are things I would change. For instance, I would make sure we had the opportunity to meet in real life. Because while we were at school it was rather impossible for us to meet. I feel it started as I attempted to support her, and ended up saving her from an outright decent into depression.

Both times it felt real (the second still does, when we speak), and I don't regret it. I do feel however that it is extremely hard. It takes a certain person to dedicate themselves to someone they've never met in the flesh, and I'm not that honourable. I can't do it, I know now, after my long-distance relationship went south. So yeah.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I have had four online relationships. The first one was when I was 16 and I really don't count it as it was a one month fling.

The latest online relationship ended August 2013...

...And was reborn as a physical meat world relationship.

The relationship happened in the strangest manner. I haven't told the story here yet, so I think I will summarize it. It was quite the ride.

We met on a My Little Pony forum when I had another online relationship at the time. Then we got to talking a bit, but of course, that first online relationship I had tanked into the ground. I had to break up with the person because they were simply too immature for me (there was quite the age difference) and disregarded my needs. The autism they had probably didn't help either. Honestly, looking back, I am not sure why I started that with that person. I suppose I was just extremely depressed because of the rest of my life before that - with several of my internet friends who once kept me sane getting into fights with me or disappearing off the face of the earth period. Needed someone to console me.

But the story doesn't end there. You see, I technically cheated on who we will refer to as Guy A with Guy B, who was a mutual friend of my current relationship man. (who will be known as Lunaris) Guy B was tempting me far too much and I couldn't resist. I needed someone who would fulfill my needs, and he was more than willing. We spoke everyday, and we became the best of friends as I became more and more detached to Guy A. It led me just not caring anymore and going for it.

I broke up with Guy A directly after that occurred, as I could not live with the guilt. Guy A didn't really have much dignity for this action, sadly. He begged me to stay with him even if I cheated, and told me he didn't care. That only convinced me more that I made the right decision. By the way, this relationship lasted exactly one year.

After that, Guy B kept pressing me. I couldn't resist myself and against my better judgement, I started a relationship with him only a few days after I broke that one off. The two of us seemed like we might be happy, but there is so much more to this crazy story.

You see, several months prior to my relationship with Guy B, Lunaris had also been in a relationship with him. They were experimenting with homosexuality. It was something I didn't understand, because neither of them seemed like they were interested in men. Guy B ended it with Lunaris after he realized that I was right about this, and ended up hurting him immensely. After that, those two had a very rocky relationship. The sad part about all of this is that they knew each other before I even met either of them.

I had been speaking with Lunaris in a more personal manner at this point, and I was kind of cold with him, as I am naturally to most people. Due to all of the turmoil I was going through, it was very difficult for me to concentrate on his problems or even on him in general, and that was why I blatantly disregarded his pain and went out with his former best friend. He continued to speak to me because whilst he was angry at Guy B for all of the bad things he had put him through, I was really all he had left, and he did not begrudge my unfortunate actions.

At the very least, I can say this about myself: I tried to be as considerate as possible, and I did console him through that messy breakup several months prior, telling him that I would try to be there for him even if my coldness didn't allow me to feel much of anything for him. But I also warned him a bit later on that he would have to work hard and earn my friendship at this point, to help me feel the feelings of caring I find difficult to obtain for others.

He was determined to earn my friendship, and he worked hard. I was always a bit blunt with him, but my honesty did help things out. (Like when I told him that if he wanted to be friends with me, he would have to continuously speak. Not go silent in an IM conversation like most people. I don't say that typically)

What I wanted during the point when I was with Guy B was for all of us to be a trio of close friends, a fantasy that I've had for years and years. It was not meant to be, as Guy B was set on ignoring Lunaris, who was trying his best to get through his anger at him for my sake.

Yet cracks already were starting to form, and they weren't just from my failed trio idea. I have a special story series that I have been creating for 10+ years, you see. It's something that I don't speak about in-depth with most people, as I fear their criticism. I don't trust that they'll care about all of these detailed thoughts I have about my worlds. And I'm usually right. But... every blue moon... there will be a person who has the right "quality." I can't tell you exactly what that quality IS. I just know it's there because I start babbling freely about my story.

I had already told Lunaris a lot of other things. Shared many personal things, and definitely there was a lot of TMI in there. But I throw my personal life around for everyone to see, so it wasn't a big deal to me to just tell some random friend on the internet about stuff that was going on. Especially one who seemed to not have much of a reaction to anything I could throw at them.

One could suppose that's part of the reason why I revealed that side of me. The side of my creativity. It is a huge deal. My creativity is a lot of who I am.

When we set out on this part of me, Guy B started to become jealous. I would not share as much of my story with him and he would often come back from work to find me babbling cheerfully about how Lunaris and I created some new concepts for my story. When I attempted to as he requested, he began to criticize the concepts and did not seem to understand. It made me reluctant and I knew he did not have the quality.

After about a month, my relationship with Guy B came to an abrupt stop... when he essentially talked me into breaking up with him out of nowhere on Christmas Eve. He told me basically that he pined for me whilst I was with Guy A, but now that he had me, it wasn't exciting anymore. And also that he wasn't willing to make the commitment to visit me and it was highly unlikely that we would ever meet. (I had no resources at the time to meet him. Essentially, I was jobless and living with my parents, in a very similar situation to a teenager.) At least with Guy A, I could meet him several times throughout the year because he lived in the same state. Not so here.

It shattered me into many pieces and I hit an all-time low. Guy B broke me into one of the worst depressions I've had since.

There was one person who was still steadfastedly there. Lunaris, the man who had become my roleplay buddy and creative partner. He was the only one who consoled me. Guy A was still on speaking terms with me, and he tried to as well. But his words felt empty. And at first, so did Lunaris'.

Until he backed them up. I told him I needed money to go to the therapist and my mother wasn't willing to pay. So he said he would send me some money. I didn't quite know how much "some" was... I thought it was only enough for one session. As it turns out, he sent me enough for FOUR sessions. Each session is $60. Yeah.

I had never received so much money all at once in my life. And never from a human being as a gift. I can still remember my reaction to when I saw all those 20's in the envelope. My brain could not understand what it was looking at.

When I told my therapist about it, he said memorable words to me. He told me that this person was a true friend for sending me all that money, and that I would do best not to lose track of him. These words hit me hard, and from then on, I endeavored to care more. To melt that cold demeanor of mine.

Over those few months, I eventually got over my depression. Why? Because he was so damn funny. His sense of humor overlapped mine perfectly, and it only got funnier when he and I obtained the ability to have regular voice chats. Everyday, we would talk. Hearing his voice had much more of an impact than just text. Because that voice is memorable. That voice says everything in a tone that makes everything just hilarious. And he knows exactly how and what to say to make me laugh. The text was just holding him back. I swear, if I had heard him earlier...

But I digress. We played games mutually together, we talked, we had troubles, and we got close. Two months from then, we were already in an unofficial relationship status. It was turned official when he visited me for the first time for a week and things went quite splendidly. In real life, things only got better, and we had a blast together. After that, he saved up the money for several agonizing months and he moved into my parents' house with me. We've been here ever since.

Things have been a bit rocky over the year, adjusting to living with someone, and we still have a lot to learn. In retrospect, I did a lot of stupid things, and I made a lot of stupid mistakes. Nowadays, I still do largely the same thing. And we don't know everything about each other. It's not perfect, and it's no fairytale. Just because we got the happy ending of Chapter 1, doesn't mean the story's over. There's still the rest of our lives together. Luckily, loads of improvements have been made though and I feel a lot better than when he first moved in here. We're steadily learning more about ourselves and our relationship to improvement.

I am afraid to voice my exact feelings about him and don't understand them. Saying words like "love" still makes me uncomfortable, doubtful. But I can say that I have no interest in any other human and I think my feelings show in my unconscious actions more than my words. Really, I don't know what I would do with myself without him. He liberated me from being stuck as a teenager into my twenties, from my horrible neglectful family who never taught me anything about how to be a person. He's more than a mere boyfriend. This guy is my mentor, and I need him so that I can crawl out of the hell that I have been spawned in. Therefore, I will marry him at some point.

It goes to show that sometimes, you can hit the jackpot in the weirdest of circumstances. Online or not.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I've been in a couple of online relationships that were all back before I ever actually had my first real relationship. I'd say having a relationship with someone online is just about like trying to have a relationship over a long distance, literally it's the same thing. One relationship I had with someone online actually started when I was in 8th grade and we still talk to each other sometimes to this day. We skyped a lot and there were a lot of pictures, we'd put aside time to talk to each other every night for at least a couple of hours, and usually we would fall asleep together with skype on. It was going alright as things usually do but then there would be times when we didn't talk for a day or two and thoughts of jealousy and ya know 'what are you really doing when we're not together' would arise from both of us and then in the end it just ended. Her parents were too strict and mine thought I was going to get raped or something and it just didn't work out, not to mention she lives about 16 hours away in Canada. But even still we tried getting back together every now and then and we'll talk and mess around a bit over skype and then talk about what's going on and trying to figure out if we'll ever actually get to hold each other. It just gets really depressing and in the end I unadded her on my skype and it's been about 8 or 9 months since we last talked. I just don't know that things would ever work out in online relationships, but I see it happen quite a bit so I don't know. For the few moments that we would talk I was happy but before and after there was just sadness and loneliness. My grades suffered and my social life suffered since I sat in front of my computer every day after I got home just waiting to see her again.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I kind of was and kind of wasn't. We never made the full commitment to making it an official boyfriend/girlfriend kind of thing, but considering how long our endearment was, I still count it when it comes down to it. I had never really had someone grab my heart like he did.

Years
  • It's harder for gay guys to meet in person and date.

There is a guy at work who may/may not be interested, I am usually not that person that has "fun" without dating. It happened and now we say hi and wave and we don't really talk about it. But this is the first time I met a person in real life, and not online.

I am thinking of pursuing it a bit further before I do the whole online thing again, because online dating sites feel bizarre and usually I just end up quitting the site all together before meeting anyone in person because the conversations are awful/weird. But, it might just be the whole online aspect.

Years
  • Nope. I am not against it, but I would just rather meet someone in person and build a relationship off of that. Plus, I don't think I can do a long distance relationship. I would want that person to be near me :3

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    Not at all. After leaving she still repented that she loved me, but for seemingly unknown reasons she can't be with me. The confusion was less than helpful in my shock.

What I mean by poison replacing me is... naturally my absence would leave a massive hole in her psyche, since she did not part ways for a reason that you'd normally conjure. Ergo, she did not part out of detachment! I fear that maybe she may have let something unhealthy or even deathly fill the void she pushed me out of over psychosis... and that it will further damage her. That's what I think.

Yeah, and that's the risk we all take by going after women. I've been dumped by a girl I had been hanging out with since August sometime in October, and thankfully she wasn't as close to me as a girlfriend would be. Regardless, it still made me feel pretty bad. Since then I've given up on women.

Sometimes it's best not to worry too much about what she would be doing in your absence. Did she give you any hints whatsoever on what happened? Or did she just leave you in the dark?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Yeah, and that's the risk we all take by going after women. I've been dumped by a girl I had been hanging out with since August sometime in October, and thankfully she wasn't as close to me as a girlfriend would be. Regardless, it still made me feel pretty bad. Since then I've given up on women.

Sometimes it's best not to worry too much about what she would be doing in your absence. Did she give you any hints whatsoever on what happened? Or did she just leave you in the dark?

I suppose that's right. She had a lot of mental issues as well which I conjure compounded matters...

she left me a big, long string of IMs (that's how we'd usually talk) detailing the dump. IIRC it was 108 messages, on July 12, 2014, from about 3:18 to 3:56 in the afternoon Mountain Daylight Time. I was in the ER for a panic attack over something else and got home at about 5:42 and saw it. My heart (as in the organ) was in so much pain.

Near as I could tell the reason was that she can't bear continuing with how fervent and dedicated I am without her reciprocating, that she lacks emotional capacity, that she's been feeling increasingly immense guilt and feels like a taker over our Union, etc. Out of agitation I tried to pry further into her logic but got nothing, and she'd avoid contact with me entirely. I recall seeing her on the PC Supporter Skype Chat actively until leaving literally the moment I got on. It didn't make a lot of sense and only compounded my pain in each instance. I don't get it, and still don't. She says it wasn't it, but blame it on the schizophrenia maybe, I dunno. >_>

All in all there was a lot of self-deprecation on her part in her leaving. I don't know how my reaction couldn't have spelled out anything but how immensely valuable she was to me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I guess, technically. I had feelings for someone who I met online and we hadn't met in person yet when I developed those feelings. I confessed them to her, she said she felt the same way, and we were "together" for maybe two years? I don't really remember. We broke up after she told me that the distance was getting to her and she had feelings for someone at school and wanted to actually kiss before she turned 18 years old. I understood, and I sort of felt the same way about the distance getting to me. So we ended it, pretty mutually.

A couple of years later, her boyfriend and her broke up and I had a steady income. We continued to talk throughout the time that they were in a relationship, and we decided we would meet and hang out as friends. So I flew out over there, and my feelings for her were still there. We agreed nothing would happen, especially at that time, because she was still getting over her ex and I didn't want to make it complicated. We were similar in a lot of ways and hit it off, in a way.

I came back and we had a talk about our feelings. She felt we were too similar and that was a problem for her. Thinking back, I wish I would have done some things differently, but the fact remains that we were really similar and her parents had the same problem and their relationship ended in rocky terms, so that was what she knew. A few weeks later, she got into a relationship with one of her friends' brothers. We text, but very rarely. And when we do, it's usually for a quick question and answer.

I still care deeply about her, and I hope she feels the same way towards me. She told me she worries about me, but that doesn't really make me feel any better about being single.

So that said, I don't really count my online relationship with her as a relationship, or even an online relationship. I don't support online relationships because of that, and will not pursue another one. I don't discount the feelings that people who have never met have for one another, but I do discount their label of being "in a relationship." I do however use the internet as a tool to easily find local people who are single and either looking for a relationship, or for something more physical, though I haven't engaged in any casual sex before in my life it isn't off the table for me.

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    I suppose that's right. She had a lot of mental issues as well which I conjure compounded matters...

she left me a big, long string of IMs (that's how we'd usually talk) detailing the dump. IIRC it was 108 messages, on July 12, 2014, from about 3:18 to 3:56 in the afternoon Mountain Daylight Time. I was in the ER for a panic attack over something else and got home at about 5:42 and saw it. My heart (as in the organ) was in so much pain.

Near as I could tell the reason was that she can't bear continuing with how fervent and dedicated I am without her reciprocating, that she lacks emotional capacity, that she's been feeling increasingly immense guilt and feels like a taker over our Union, etc. Out of agitation I tried to pry further into her logic but got nothing, and she'd avoid contact with me entirely. I recall seeing her on the PC Supporter Skype Chat actively until leaving literally the moment I got on. It didn't make a lot of sense and only compounded my pain in each instance. I don't get it, and still don't. She says it wasn't it, but blame it on the schizophrenia maybe, I dunno. >_>

All in all there was a lot of self-deprecation on her part in her leaving. I don't know how my reaction couldn't have spelled out anything but how immensely valuable she was to me.

Yikes... it sounds like you were going through a lot during that day. And when you say self-deprecation, did she just think that she wasn't good enough for you? I always get that way about my ex, and I still get upset about the thought of her ending up going out with this really douchey guy from the same forum. Either way, in your case, unfortunately, we're probably never going to know what really happened. All that we both can do is just somehow move on from it.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Yikes... it sounds like you were going through a lot during that day. And when you say self-deprecation, did she just think that she wasn't good enough for you? I always get that way about my ex, and I still get upset about the thought of her ending up going out with this really douchey guy from the same forum. Either way, in your case, unfortunately, we're probably never going to know what really happened. All that we both can do is just somehow move on from it.

I think that's about it. Gender dysphoria, bullying, and schizophrenia altogether can weigh someone down. When I decided to be with her I thought I could remedy that, but I guess she was already shoved into the ground. The voices she had really liked to play devil's advocate with her decision making and I fathom they may have egged on any worries she had about our relationship.

Funnily enough they brought her to both start and end the relationship through those means. She wouldn't have otherwise had the courage to approach me in a loving way, and vice versa. It's strange, isn't it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back