• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

JEPE - Game Engine

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Not strictly speaking a game, btu I'll try to meet thread requirements anyway. I was going to post this on the forum above this but decided this was safer.

Site: http://jepe.ptreasures.net
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge. net/projects/jepe-engine
Latest Screenshot: http://wikidex.ptreasures.net/index.php/Image:Latest.png
Demo: http://jepe.ptreasures.net/demo.php

JEPE, as you'll see if you visit the site, is a game engine designed specifically for pokémon games. It's made with Java and XML, and some parts will be C# (map maker) and possibly Objective-C (depending on OS). It's still in the baby stages, so we're willing to hire any coders who know Java, or another language and are willing to learn Java.

JEPE will include all the basic pokémon functionality (battle, contests, plot, pokédex, and so on) as well as some more advanced stuff, such as trading online, an email-like system, battling over the internet, and eventually seeing other players walking around the overworld (this will be optional, of course).
There is also the possibility for global connectivity (between games). You should be able to trade pokémon between games, sent emails even further, perhaps even battle. Obviously there are hurdles to work out here, such as new types and the somewhat mysterious Light-type which is in most fangames but seldom with the same type relations. Some games might even allow players to export previous characters to new settings.

So far we are working in Advance generation styles, but we'll be adding weather and times of day to this. We'll be converting to DS gen when it's been out for a few months and we can work out the newer stuff.

We're trying to make it as easy as possible for clients to make games using the engine; all that will be needed for a basic game will be knowledge of XML, which by most coding standards isn't terribly difficult to learn. Admins will also have control of how extensively the online functionality works; if the client hosts the game's online functions on their own servers, they will lose connectivity with other JEPE games (at least, that how it's looking now).

The reason I've posted here is to try and drum up sone interested coders; with the 3/4 we have now we can get the engine done, sure, but not quickly. The more coders, the faster it'll go. So, if you're interested (see the requirements above for hiring) please let us know here or post in our forums. Thanks!

Last edited:

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
honestly, i have to say that this is very impressive, i went to the site, and looked at the features, and a lot of it sounds promising, as long as this is one of the few projects that actually get completed ;)

either way, keep it up, i'd LOVE to see this finished :)

Years
Very nice, but I have some things to ask.

1.) Are you replacing all of Remy's graphics with ripped ones from the games? (If so, stick with one style. If you want to use R/S/E as your main style, then convert FR/LG graphics to the style, and vice versa)

2.) Are the contests going to be R/S/E style or D/P style?

Also, one suggestion: you should also include some templates for Pokémon, items, attacks, etc.

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
Years
I think it should be packaged with different resources. Like if you want to download one with D/P graphics, you get the D/P version.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Thanks for all the positive feedback :D

1.) Are you replacing all of Remy's graphics with ripped ones from the games? (If so, stick with one style. If you want to use R/S/E as your main style, then convert FR/LG graphics to the style, and vice versa)
Well, the screenshot was from Pokémon Treasures, a game using the engine (actually most of us were coders at PT and we decided to join forces with the Pokémon Topaz guy to make this engine for both to use).
Anyway. I'd say it's not really up to me but I guess it is. We won't be replacing all of REMY's sprites, but using them sparingly; I dunno if you go to the PT forums but REMY posted versions of the maps we'd got so far and they looked a bit off, and not really pokémon-styled, when all of his sprites were put together. However, used sparingly, the really make the maps look fantastic.
Mixing styles doesn't seem like a problem to me personally, but I guess some people mind. With the JEPE system images are easily replaceable, I guess we'll just see how it goes.

2.) Are the contests going to be R/S/E style or D/P style?
Everything will be Advanced-generation style until at least the first release. 3D stuff is programming headache, so at the moment we're going to aim for what we can reasonably achieve. The other thing is that three out of our four coders live in Europe, which won't see DP till July (*shakes fist at NOE*).

Also, one suggestion: you should also include some templates for Pokémon, items, attacks, etc.
Yeah, good idea. I think all of Nintendo's pokémon will come with the developer package, then they can pick which ones they use or don't use within the route/trainer settings. Likewise -most- moves (although since most fangames have a Light-type Solarbeam might be out) and -most- items (probably common ones between FRLG and RSE).

I think it should be packaged with different resources. Like if you want to download one with D/P graphics, you get the D/P version.
DP is tricky because bits of it are in 3D (or so we've gathered from screenshots, see earlier fist-shaking). If it's possible to package with different resources I'm sure we will, but that won't be until after most of the engine is done.

Thanks again, I'll be happy to answer any questions (or I'll try to anyway).

Dudedude

I am the Johto Man
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2007
This programme sounds cool! Really!
I really wish you the best of luck!

Can you give us statistics on how far you are into the project?

Oh and one more thing:
Would it be possible to add a function that allows you to take the default characters sprite and using tools on the programme customise the trainer for each game? That would be cool as then we wont see the same sprites in every game.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Thanks ^_^

Can you give us statistics on how far you are into the project?
Like I said, we're in the baby stages:
The overworld is a basic map-parser (it changes the XML files and images into maps you can walk around on). You can bump into things but not interact with them; wildgrass and other tile actions will come next, and then objects. Currently maps join by warping rather than walking across from one to the other.
There are plans for allowing pokémon to follow trainers in the overwordld, and work is being done on a caterpillar system, but that's only around 10%. Overworld itself, I'd say... 40%.
There's a small draft battle simulator, and the real one is being worked on currently, I'd say that's about 40% done (we've got to allow for new types and abilities). I'm not the one working on it, so don't hold me to that XD
No work on contests yet.
Some pokémon and moves have been put into XML templates for us to test - battle animations are controlled by XML. There's a working pokédex, but it needs some work, because it was written before this project. ~70%
No plot implementation yet, and only basic menu systems. Menus are easy though. Overall, I'd say this project is 20-30% done, but we're working on a curve; as more work gets done, the whole thing gets easier. We're on the hard part right now, which is writing the stuff from scratch.

Would it be possible to add a function that allows you to take the default characters sprite and using tools on the programme customise the trainer for each game?
If you mean like the default trainer for each game, definitely :D If you mean a trainer for each player, I would say probably, but there are some online hassles with that. But it's very likely.

Dudedude

I am the Johto Man
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2007
Wow...that would be a cool feature...

I wish you all the best with yr game!

its the most promising thing I have ever seen!

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Thanks a lot :D

Big news! We will be releasing a demo soon. It will be pre-compiled for Windows, Mac and Linux systems. Nothing really fantastic, just so people can see what we're up to. We'll be doing that when we've done the animation for when the player walks on wild grass. Hopefully this will be within the month (by which I mean four weeks, not the rest of May XD)

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
We've hit a few setbacks, but JEPE is still moving forward:
Wildgrass now interacts with the player, and the update includes a template for other actiontiles.
Maps now join smoothly together.

However, the update also went a little backwards; we have yet to put back the tile fills and objectsets, so our maps are looking a little sparse.

The demo will not be compiled, but instead will come with a run script (we've been having troubles compiling but not running). That should be out, objectsets or not, as soon as I see the head coder online and get the scripts from him.

Linkies: (I've been having some trouble accessing PT's server, I hope if doesn't last :/)
ht tp:// wikidex.ptreasures.net/index.php/Image:Latest.png - Latest Screenshot
ht tp:// ptreasures.net/xfiles/bonzairob/PT-demo.swf - 10MB SWF video

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
They should be working now :/ I think the server was down for maintenance. You need to remove the spaces of course.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Yeah its working now. Bloody hell, that video is really impressive! As I said i nan earlier post, I was looking foward to seeing it in action. I wasn't disapointed. Looks like alot of work has been done.
Good job.

Pkmn_knight

A Knight Of Pokemon
Years
Nice, Will it work on windows?
I will look forward to this engine.
I might be able to the game i have always wanted on it.

Years
It should be multiplatform, because it is in Java (So it will work in Windows).

Anyway, going by what Neo-Dragon says, this is going to be good. Can't wait to see the video (Sorry, I have dial-up. I'll have to watch the video at the library).

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
I'm glad the video went down so well :D
- It will definitely work in Windows. Windows, Mac, and Linux are our target OSes, and anyone who wants to compile it for another system is free to do so.
- We've discussed zooming in, there's a lot of differing opinions about it. I think we'll make it an option, if we can. Personally I'd rather the pixels were 1:1, but I agree that 640 x 480 is quite a big window size. Right now the window can be resized to whatever size the game maker wants, but we were also thinking of putting like a speed bar around the edge - a quick way to get to your team's info or your bag, for instance.
The goal is to be as flexible as possible of course, so all of the above could be implemented. I'm really glad so many people liked the video :D

The screenshot was taken after the video, so the lower route and city look more filled out now; we recently rewrote a bit to get maps to join one another instead of warping between them, and that stopped part of the object loading working. You can group objects into sets to make it easier to write the map code, which is in XML. Nice and easy for beginner coders, but potentially powerful if you know what you're doing.

Thanks again for the positive feedback :D

Back