• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thank you, Sycamore! [Kanto Starters]

Which Kanto starter did you choose?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Charmander

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Upon arriving in Professor Sycamore's laboratory located in Lumiose you will, after some quick dialogue showing the Professor's excitement with meeting you, be challenged to a battle against his party of a lv. 10 Bulbasaur, Chamander, and Squirtle. Once you've defeated him he will offer to give you one of these very popular Kanto starters to add to your team! How fun.

Who did you choose? Did you use them in your party?

bulbasaur.gif
    charmander.gif
    squirtle.gif

Years
  • Of all the times I did this, I only recall using the Kanto starter twice - both times it was Squirtle, and in 2013. The first was in my second play of the games (a normal run of Y), and the second was that disaster of a Pokémon Center restrictions Wedlocke.

Actually I may have used Venusaur in my Poison Monotype, but it wasn't part of my final team.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I went with Charmander. It paired well with my Froakie and Charizard is my favorite of the Kanto starters.
    inb4 hate about charizard winning #fpt

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Even though I picked Chespin as my starter, I ended up breaking my own policy by choosing a second Grass-type, Bulbasaur (which happens to be my favorite Pokémon). Bulbasaur was the only one that stayed on my team at all times, and I found myself not using Chespin too often.

When I first played Pokémon Y, I honestly couldn't believe that we could have our own Kanto starters that early in the game, and I guess I viewed it as a godsend, haha.

Years
  • I picked Charmander, despite my past distaste of Charizard. But in the end, it did have good synergy with my Greninja so I guess it's not all that bad.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • Charmander! I almost gave Bulbasaur a chance because he's cute and I've never tried out a grass type before but Charmander still got me. I used him on my party because I love Charizard and I wanted to try out Mega Charizard X. He was especially useful since I didn't have a fire type on my team to begin with since I started out with Froakie.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I always go for Charmander. Even so, I really dislike all of the Kanto starters, so after picking one of them up, I either Wonder Trade it or dump it in the PC. Because of that, I never used a Kanto Starter in X/Y, and I don't really plan to.

Years
  • Lots of votes for Charmander, as expected. o: I went with Squirtle because I'm a hugehuge fan of Wartortle. Ended up keeping mine in its Wartortle form forever because I love it that much, aha! Blastoise just doesn't appeal to me.

In my next playthrough I'll more than likely be using Bulbasaur. Can't wait to make that new file.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    In X back when it came out, I went with squirtle, because I started chespin, and had the event torchic, so a water type to balance it out. It stayed with me till the end of the game, blaziken got to enjoy the PC though, I didn't want another fighting type after Lucario.

In Y, I went bulbasaur, because I went with squirtle in x. And it was used for a bit then stuck in my box, but now that my Rosellia died, I might pull it back out.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    This will sound crazy, but I trade to get all of them and have Pikachu because that's my favorite group of Pokemon (Pikachu, Charizard, Bulbasaur and Squirtle). Love 'em.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    i'm one of the guys whose favourite pokemon is bulbasaur, so..., it wasn't a tough decission hahaha, but, i have to say that with mega char x, i thought of giving charmander a chance, but no xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In my first run, I wound up choosing Squirtle, if I remember correctly, and I did not regret it a bit!

Although I'm already quite familiar with Blastoise and understand its battling capabilities (which, to be frank, aren't that great in comparison to the likes of Charizard), I still wanted to give it a shot, as I had no idea as to how good or bad its mega-evolution might be. Thankfully, however, I was rather surprised; Mega-Blastoise seemed to have been pretty powerful. While battling against a friend online, it had once managed to withstand three Thunderbolt attacks in a row, which the Pokémon is super-effective against. This is saying something, haha.

In my second play-through, I decided to go with Charmander. I've tried both its mega-forms at one point, but personally, I'm much bigger of a fan of its Y form. When it comes to competitive, I believe they are equally as good, in some way, but appearance-wise, I feel Mega-Charizard Y looks slightly more natural due to its coloring. If X had different color-scheme, however, it probably would have been a tie.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Charmander. I needed a fire type and someone who can learn fly on my team.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I chose Bulbasaur being my favourite of the three, but it didn't really matter since I kinda knew I was sticking to a full team of Kalos Pokemon at the time.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I chose charmander because i generally choose the fire types and it had 2 Megas and the other Megas really didnt interest me but i just put him in the PC and used my talonflame instead nor did i use my Kalos starter lol

Back