• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Infection

Arceus200

Fanfic writer in training.
Years
If you have the time, can you please read this and post your thoughts on it? thanks XD

The Infection Part 1
It was a bright day in the Sinnoh Region. Rick woke up with the sun beaming through the window, casting a shadow on almost everything in his room. He was suspecting the usual wakeup call, but he didn't hear it. He got his regular clothes on and went downstairs to see what was happening. When he got down, he said,"Hello? Anyone down here? Mom? Dad?" Then, after a minute, he figured that they went over to say hi to the new neighbors. The new neighbors, or the Smith family, were very nice to his family, or the Jones family. The greatest thing about their family, though, was probably their son, Mark, who was Rick's best friend.

Mark and Rick almost look alike, but Mark is shorter than Rick. Rick also had brown hair, while Mark had black hair. They were both skinny and loved the color blue. Rick usually wore blue jeans, and Mark liked sweatpants. Their hangout was a nearby lake, Verity Lake. Although they weren't always the only ones there, they usually fished in those waters.

After breakfast, he went to go see Mark. He walked outside. The sun was shining on the trees, creating a lustrous effect from the dew on the leaves. The houses, although seeming dormant, had people inside them, eating breakfast and talking to each other about different things. Twinleaf Town wasn't big like Jubilife. The scenery there in Twinleaf was beautiful; many greens were sprouting acrossed the Town. There were women hanging clothes on the clothesline outside their doors. There were kids playing with pokemon and some pokemon, wandering around aimlessly, although not harmful, somehow scaring those kids.

Rick pushed the doorbell, and while waiting for an answer, called over a Shinx and petted it. It must have wandered from nearby Jubilife town, about a mile away. Rick sent it away, and Mark answered the door. "Hey, Rick! How's it going?" "Not too bad, I hope. Have you seen my parents?" asked Rick. "Yeah, they're inside. Wanna go to Verity Lake?" "Sure!"

Verity Lake is a very popular lake for most locals. It is a gleaming fortress of light with a strange cave in the middle. Rick and Mark once tried to swim to it, but the pokemon in the lake were too obtrusive for their sight. A pokemon once attacked Rick, and they never tried to swim in it again. The Lake had many trees surrounding it. The brush along it was greener than any of the surrounding. That cave in the middle had a strange aura emmiting from it, if you looked at it for long enough, like Rick and Mark did.

"Man, I wish we had a boat," said Mark. Rick nodded respectfully and with pondering thoughts.
"I hope it doesn't rain today. This would be the perfect day to go fishing," said Rick. "Yeah."
"I cannot believe we are going to be trainers tomorrow. It's so exciting!" exclaimed Mark. "I just want this day to end, Mark. I want to become a pokemon trainer!" Mark picked up a rock and threw it into the glistening water, where it probably skipped a good 10 times. When it landed, there was a rustling noise appearing behind them. A pokemon was there!

It came out of the brush. It was a little transparent, but it was floating. It had a light-blue body, and a pinkish head and hair, if that's what that was. It floated off into the cavern in the middle of the lake, just as fast as it came. "What was that?!" questioned Rick. "I don't know. Maybe we should go to the Canalave City library to read more about it."

Just then, a scream sounded from inside of Twinleaf Town. "C'mon, let's go check it out!" They came up past the trees, which seemed to be lifeless, for some apparant reason. They rushed back into town, and they saw a crowd of people right by someone's yard.
"What happened?" questioned Rick. "We aren't sure. Someone says that their pokemon was...." "Was what?"
"Killed."

A few hours later, a Nurse from the Jubilife City Pokecenter showed up and said,"I'm terribly sorry. He isn't going to make it." "What caused it?" asked Mark. "We're not sure yet, but there is many possible causes. It could have been attacked by another pokemon, but we're not sure yet. I'm very sorry." They drove away, only leaving behind a note to the mourner.

"What do you think might have happened?" asked Mark, on the way to Canalave. "Maybe she was right. Maybe another pokemon attacked it. We never got a close look at the neck, or anything elso on the body," replied Rick. They were almost there, they just had to get acrossed the waterbed between Canalave and Route 218. They hopped acrossed the shiny rocks, watching pokemon swim by in the clear, blue water. Many people were watchin them cross, trying to make sure they didn't fall. When they were acrossed, they saw some people waving. Sailors, visitors, and other trainers. There was a building they had to go through before they could enter. The police man "OK"ed them and said,"Thank you! See you later!" They left the building and ran all the way to the library, which really wasn't that far. They passed the Canalave Pokecenter, some houses, and made it arossed the drawbridge. They burst into the library and the librarians just rolled their eyes. They got to one of the librarians and asked,"Where could we find out about the Three Lakes of the Sinnoh Region?" She pointed to the stairs and nudged her head towards the stairs, too.

They looked through books for hours and hours on, but could not find a single book on the transparent pokemon they saw. They were about done when Mark said,"Found one!" The librarians all said,"Shhhh!" They nodded and continued. "There were once three spirits living in all three lakes... yeah! This is right!" They continued to read about Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf. Azelf had Blue all over it's body, Uxie had yellow all over it's body, and Mesprit had a pink head and light blue body. "Do you think that one of these things might have been the thing on the lake?" questioned Mark. "Maybe," said Rick. "Hey, Mark. It's getting late. let's go home. We want to get some good rest for the day we become trainers!" "Yeah! Let's go home." said Mark. Then, as if on cue, the librarians all said,"SHHH!"

The next morning, they ran over to Prof. Rowan's Lab to get their pokemon. Their first pokemon. "This is awesome!" Rick said. They entered the lab and greeted Prof. Rowan. "How are you boys?" he asked. "Great!" they both said. The Prof. gave them three choices: Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup. Rick chose Chimchar, and Mark chose Turtwig. A girl came in and said,"Hi, Prof. Rowan! I'm ready for my pokemon!" She got the last one, Piplup. "Now, do any of you want to battle?" said Prof. Rowan. Almost immediately, the girl said,"Sure! Any of you boys wanna battle me?" No one replied. "Okay! goodbye!" The girl left.
"Who was that?" asked Mark. "That was Amy. She is an overachieving- well, was an overachieving student.

They left and went home. As they were close to getting home, they stopped and saw something. It was that thing again! This time, it just watched them. Mark started to walk over, when Rick said in a quiet voice,"No! you'll scare it!" Then, after a while, it sort of signaled for them to follow. They walked with it until it started to go over the Lake. "We can't go in!" Rick shouted. Then, suddenly, the Pokemon dissapeared into the cavern once again.
Later that night, Rick pondered that transparent pokemon. He tried to stay awake on that cold, Autumn night, but soon, the voices in his head turned to whispers, and then, he was lulled to sleep.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I'm not going to shut down your fic when it breaks a rule. You get a chance to fix it and allow it to follow the rules.

And one thing you need to do is change the font back to the forum default. Take out the font tags to make your font less blinding.

And just as a note: Hit Enter twice to make a new paragraph, so there's a line between each paragraph. This also makes it more readable.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
Hi there, Arceus200! I'll be delighted to give your fic a once over!

It was a bright day in the Sinnoh Region.

Bright? It might just be me, but I think "sunny" or "bright and sunny" works better

He was suspecting the usual wakeup call

In my opinion, "expecting" would work better

He got his regular clothes on

try and give us a bit more information about what his "regular clothes" are

The new neighbors, or the Smith family, were very nice to his family, or the Jones family.

Smith and Jones? Come up with something a little bit more orignial than that!

Mark and Rick almost look alike, but Mark is shorter than Rick. Rick also had brown hair, while Mark had black hair.

Flicking between past and present tense here, as well as in a few other places. Try to be consistent. Also, "look almost alike" sounds better than "almost look alike"

After breakfast, he went to go see Mark.

This is a little bit too colloquial for a fic, i.e. this is how you speak, not how you write.

He walked outside.

Short sentences are great for building suspense, but when you don't want suspense, they're annoying.

Mark answered the door. "Hey, Rick! How's it going?" "Not too bad, I hope. Have you seen my parents?" asked Rick. "Yeah, they're inside. Wanna go to Verity Lake?" "Sure!"

Remember, a new line for each new speaker.

Rick and Mark once tried to swim to it, but the pokemon in the lake were too obtrusive for their sight.

For their sight? to say that they were "too obtrusive for their liking" might work better

"Man, I wish we had a boat," said Mark. Rick nodded respectfully and with pondering thoughts.

Respectfully? Maybe just "in agreement"?

When it landed, there was a rustling noise appearing behind them.

You're kind of mixing the two tenses in one sentence here and it doesn't really work very well. Also, the word "appearing" is unnecessary

It was a little transparent, but it was floating.

floating and transparent aren't opposites, so you wouldn't use "but" here

Just then, a scream sounded from inside of Twinleaf Town.

"inside of" is unnecessary

"C'mon, let's go check it out!" They came up past the trees, which seemed to be lifeless, for some apparant reason.

apparent means obvious. Is there an obvious reason for the trees looking lifeless?

"Maybe she was right. Maybe another pokemon attacked it. We never got a close look at the neck, or anything else on the body," replied Rick.

maybe you should have told us this already? up until now, I thought that they'd seen this unfortunate pokemon. And why focus on the neck?

They passed the Canalave Pokecenter, some houses, and made it arossed the drawbridge.

across

"Hey, Mark. It's getting late. let's go home.

Try using commas, if you speak like you've written, you sound like a robot.

Rick chose Chimchar, and Mark chose Turtwig. A girl came in and said,"Hi, Prof. Rowan! I'm ready for my pokemon!" She got the last one, Piplup. "Now, do any of you want to battle?" said Prof. Rowan. Almost immediately, the girl said,"Sure! Any of you boys wanna battle me?" No one replied. "Okay! goodbye!" The girl left.
"Who was that?" asked Mark. "That was Amy. She is an overachieving- well, was an overachieving student.

you've pretty much skipped over two important events - choosing their pokemon and meeting Amy. I don't know, but I'm guessing that she'll reappear at some point

As they were close to getting home, they stopped and saw something. It was that thing again!

you might want to mention its name, or it sounds like Rick and Mark still don't know what it is.

Okay,so my once-over didn't make your fic look brilliant,but trust me, as long as you get your grammar and punctuation down, you could be a brilliant author, so just keep writing and keep posting your work here!

Arceus200

Fanfic writer in training.
Years
Don't worry; thanks for the tips, and this is my first, so I'm probably going to make a lot of mistakes on this fanfiction! thanks for posting!

also, I'll try to fix up the second, so it's muck better than the first.

Back