• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scientists Map Woolly Mammoth DNA - a step closer to possible "Jurassic Park"

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • [ source ]

tl;dr warning. :D
    Spoiler:

It's pretty big for science to have the possibility of recreating extinct creatures from 100,000 years ago in a decade or two. A couple things that came to mind when I read this... The outside reaction, think about it, there will be many people that would say "It's not our place to recreate failed species, or create life of anything even." But the way I see it, it's giving a species a second chance at life on Earth. Oh and my other reaction: "Aww, no raptors or dinosaurs. ):"

Still an amazing read and a major scientific achievement.

If we are able to recreate these extinct creatures (Such as the Sabertooth Tiger, Woolly Mammoth, and friends) in the future, do you think we should? What do you think about this article & step forward overall?

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I've heard about this type of thing before, and I think it's absolutely fascinating. It's a great step forward for science as a whole...If it were actually possible to do correctly, I'm all for it! Seeing some of these extinct species in real life would be quite a feat ^_^

Phixum

Little presence of insanity
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Sep 23, 2012
    I think this is impossible to achieve. As a religious person, I believe only God can induce life into inanimate "things". As a scientist, I think it is empirically impossible to have such a huge jump since no one could ever create a single cell, let alone synthesizing a dinosaur.

Regardless of that, I find it absolutely fascinating, as Aurafire puts it. It is where science and art come together, in my opinion. I find it difficult to emphasize more, probably because I'm overwhelmed by the idea.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I think that is absolutely astonishing but the fact remains that I don't think recreating it would be wise.
    The mammoth will not have adapted to present day conditions and was adapted to living in icy and snowy conditions. Brining it to life, may be successful, but there is a good chance it may very well fail. I still think they should try recreating these prehistoric beings, but maybe starting with something smaller (literally and metaphorically) would be a wise move. Number 1 because it would probably be easier to recreate, and secondly, it would be easier to contain as a Wooly Mammoth on the loose can only equal havoc.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • It's absolutely outstanding. I never thought that someday, a prehistoric organism can be recreated. It's like inserting a bovine egg to a bison, the mammoth egg will be placed in an elephant's womb. Then you know what will happen next...

Soren.K

Viking
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    First things that comes to my mind: Can we tame a Wooly Mammoth? Because I want one!

But seriously, I think it may be possible. I mean, it would take some smart people and alot of them would probably argue about what is and isn't the right action to take....but imagine if we were all in a cafe' about 60 or 70 years ago and talked about the possibilities of someone creating the internet, or better yet forums like these! Some people would say it's possible and others would say not a chance. Only time will tell I suppose.

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
  • I heard this on the news! If this would be successful, it will be a big hit to Biology. Also if this happens, it will lead to cloning. Which ignorant Catholics hates it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They'd make productive livestock animals, assuming they don't take too long to grow. Beyond this however their use runs out, and if re-introduced would just die out a second time given this global warming.

Also if this happens, it will lead to cloning.
    Cloning is already possible and has been for over ten years, go read some about Dolly the sheep.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • This is crazy awesome! I wonder if my Anthro teacher knows..I bet she'd be excited. I would love to see a real life wooly mammoth, how exciting. Also, I love how when articles like this are typed, they often say "scientists are doing this, experts say they can do it." Experts?..Aren't..the scientists themselves the experts? XD It's like they're being experts on scientists.

Years
  • Hmm...This I've heard a couple of days ago....I think it would be a great leap forward (XD) if recreating extinct species is possible through DNA samples. As we all know our great disregard for the environment since the start of the Industrial Revolution has led to the extinction of many fascinating species of plants and animals. ^_^

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • Hmm...This I've heard a couple of days ago....I think it would be a great leap forward (XD) if recreating extinct species is possible through DNA samples. As we all know our great disregard for the environment since the start of the Industrial Revolution has led to the extinction of many fascinating species of plants and animals. ^_^

Mhm, we studied that in Anthropology. Over something like 80% of the species that existed on Earth are extinct. I don't know about sabertooth tigers though, do we want those jumping in front of our cars on mountain roads? :P

Emii

I'll Keep Orbiting For You★
    Years
  • Oh wow.. this would really be interesting. =) Some people I know argue with everything that it's just not right, and that's how monsters are made. But me, being a scientific person, I think it would be rather interesting. ^^

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I heard about this a couple of years ago in a childrens magazine. O.o
    Or maybe it was just a warning.

But anyway, I'd like the idea of woolly mammoths and extinct flying squirrels roaming Antartica. Why Antartica? because, wooly mammoths would be screwed if they tried to live in Australia, considering the heatstroke and all. So yeah, keep them in an enviroment that supports them.

IF THEY EXIST.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I heard about this a couple of years ago in a childrens magazine. O.o
    Or maybe it was just a warning.

But anyway, I'd like the idea of woolly mammoths and extinct flying squirrels roaming Antartica. Why Antartica? because, wooly mammoths would be screwed if they tried to live in Australia, considering the heatstroke and all. So yeah, keep them in an enviroment that supports them.

IF THEY EXIST.
    The entire project started some time ago, although this news happened the other day. (Nov. 19th)

But I don't think environment would be a problem, regardless of global warming. An example being Sea World, here in Florida, they keep their pure cold animals in perfectly maintained and chilly environments. However, establishing the new animal and getting things off on the correct foot would probably be challenging. I'm not going to rule this out at all, I know they don't have definite science to recreate, but we could easily have it in the future. The advancements & technology are so fast. Anything's possible.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • As much as I love it when scientist make monumental discoveries, I have to say that I disagree with the recreating of any extinct species, especially if that species died out by natural causes and not modern human interference (in other words, I don't mind storing away some polar bear DNA because it's our fault they're dying). I'm simply tired of humans trying to play God. Anything even resembling life that is created artificially shouldn't even be called life, but rather artificial intelligence. Seriously, man's absolute need to control everything will be our downfall.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The entire project started some time ago, although this news happened the other day. (Nov. 19th)
    EXPLAIN PLZ
    But I don't think environment would be a problem, regardless of global warming. An example being Sea World, here in Florida, they keep their pure cold animals in perfectly maintained and chilly environments. However, establishing the new animal and getting things off on the correct foot would probably be challenging. I'm not going to rule this out at all, I know they don't have definite science to recreate, but we could easily have it in the future. The advancements & technology are so fast. Anything's possible.
    So basicaly, in the time of the Jetsons, you say that there could be mammoths in the wild, sabertooth tiger guard dogs and so forth?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • EXPLAIN PLZ.

So basicaly, in the time of the Jetsons, you say that there could be mammoths in the wild, sabertooth tiger guard dogs and so forth?
    To clarify, the new about this (overall breaking down the code 'n' so forth) came out in the news two days ago. Yet people have known about the overall project for some time now.

And uh, no, I don't think that'll happen. o_o; I mean, in captivity sure, but let free out in the world to roam would take a good amount of time, at least that's what I think. Ehhhhh.

Back