Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Reload this Page RSE Emerald's Champion, Wallace

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old March 23rd, 2015 (04:12 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
In Emerald, you probably thought you'd see Steven again as he was the champion in the originals, Ruby/Sapphire. But it's not him this time! The champion is now someone who's a familiar face in the originals!

Yep! It's him, it's Wallace! He's back, and more fabulous then ever! His team is composed of Water Types, unlike Steven, and he's not just got his original team from R/S. He's got an updated team, and his annoying Milotic is still there! You won't meet him as much as Steven, but he's still a pretty important character in the game, as you meet him in the Cave of Origin first.

So, what's your opinion on Wallace? Are you happy that he replaced Steven in Emerald as the champion? Or would you have preferred Steven to stay as the champion? Did you find his battle difficult, and how would you compare it Steven's battle?

Post below! <3
Old March 24th, 2015 (06:39 PM).
I r8 8/8 no h8 m8.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
I thought his character was regal and fitting for a Champion demeanor, as some of his dialogue talked about elegance and beauty, which admittedly while not an intimidating one it's still something.

As for his Water-types, I don't think he's quite as easy as people make him out to be. Part of the reason I say that is because a lot of his Pokémon have relatively high Special Defense stats, especially his Milotic, which has both its weaknesses on that note, making it quite a bit harder than the rest of his team. It was nice that they gave his Champion team a re-appearance in the Delta Episode in ORAS.
Old March 26th, 2015 (02:56 PM).
Administrator
CS

Nature: Timid
I didn't like him much. He had a nice design but I highly preferred Steven and felt that Wallace didn't at all have the champion demeanor to him, plus his team was obnoxiously easy to take out. Only Pokemon I had to "watch out" for was Whiscash since it was immune to electric attacks but even then its 4x grass weakness made it very easy to take out.

Sorry, Wallace. Only thing good about you being champion was that Steven ended up as the final boss with high-leveled Pokemon. Glad they included him. :)
Old March 27th, 2015 (06:26 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Ugh. Cool character but worst champion ever. How did he get past all the other elite members?!
Lets just put it this way, He was all water, and my strongest or one of the strongest Pokemon was Manectric. You do the math.
I dont understand why they put him as a champion, but oh well, made it easier for me.

"The future you see is the future you get."
Old March 27th, 2015 (11:05 AM).
Red vs. Blue like Magma vs. Aqua

Location: That place called... Wait, what was it called again?
Nature: Calm
I prefer Steven, because of his more varied team, but nevertheless it's team is based on ancient and steel Pokémon, still making them fit together quite well. Other thing, maybe the most important one, is that just before the Elite Four another water expert had to be faced. This gives a high chance one of your best Pokémon is strong against water and can easily face the Champion as well later on.
Old March 29th, 2015 (03:10 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by H.A.N.:
I prefer Steven, because of his more varied team, but nevertheless it's team is based on ancient and steel Pokémon, still making them fit together quite well. Other thing, maybe the most important one, is that just before the Elite Four another water expert had to be faced. This gives a high chance one of your best Pokémon is strong against water and can easily face the Champion as well later on.
Oh, I forgot about Steven. Now when I think of it, he might have been just a bit harder to beat.
I mean, having a steel and rock team in the region with 99% water? How does that happen lol.
Anyway, I always had a strong water type Pokemon and probably an electric type as well so he wasnt a big deal either lol.

"The future you see is the future you get."
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:38 PM).
"Smell ya later!"

Nature: Quirky
Nah, I don't really like Wallace, because I think he's more suited for Pokemon Contests than battling and that's partially of his sexy ORAS design.

But I never played R/S so I don't what Steven is like. But he is pretty hot (>.<)

........Gawd, I should really stop judging people by hawtness.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (01:01 AM).
CS

Nature: Naive
I like Wallace, but only as gym leader. I much preferred Steven to be the champion, it was much more rewarding, somehow. In the manga, they do it well however, having Wallace be the old, "true" champion whom Steven recently just beat. Idk if there's some kind of story like that in the games, maybe the other way around since Wallace/Emerald comes after Steven/RS?
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:29 AM).
Champion of Demacia League

Nature: Adamant
I remember in my first playthrough of Emerald, I was actually surprised by Wallace being the champion in the game. I thought i was going to Sweep through most of the champion's lineup with Blaziken as I did the same back in Ruby, but i was wrong.

Contrary to what most would say, I liked Wallace as the champion in Hoenn for one reason: Hoenn is a very aquatic region and Wallace's type specialty is pretty much a great representation of region "too much water". He represented being Hoenn's champion better than Steven did as far as being a symbol is concerned. As far as the in-game things go, I liked how his lineup did its best to actually fight away certain weaknesses or threats such as his pokemon having ice type moves to obviously take care of Grass and Dragon types, and his Gyarados having the awesome Quake-Dance (earthquake + Dragon dance) set up to defeat electric types. I even remember his Ludicolo being the most annoying member on his team because if left unchecked, it would just spam Double Team and take advantage of its fantastic typing and moves. Wallace is the true monotype challenger and he did succeed in being a good monotype trainer.

Him being easier than Steven? Well i couldn't argue with that seeing that I've swept Wallace with my Agility Sceptile in a past playthrough, but as I said before, his lineup in Emerald is still quite competent enough to fight off their weaknesses and checks so i did get caught off-guard but not necessarily lose in my first playthrough.

Coming as soon as i learn how to basic:

Metal Slug style Sol Badguy and Saber Sprite edits done by yours truly.
Old 1 Day Ago (03:30 PM).
One less, one less problem~
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I prefer Steven as the champion, to be honest. As someone else said, Wallace makes for a better gym leader, in my opinion. I do like his character a lot, but not as the champion. Plus, a Steel type champion is just epic.

Pair~
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links