Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 25th, 2014 (09:57 AM).
Sheep
pretty princess

Nature: Timid
We need to revive some of these threads. ; -;

Which starter did you choose in FR/LG in your first playthrough, if you remember? Did you make new files to use the other starters? Which was your favorite to use? What do you think of the Kanto starters overall?

da best | family | my star | twin
Old December 25th, 2014 (10:35 AM).
AmourPearlShipper
All aboard the failboat

Nature: Adamant
Bulbasaur is probably the best one in-game, since it has advantage over Brock and Misty and Venusaur is probably the best against Gary. However, I don't really have a favourite. Charizard is definitely the best one competitively, though.

"<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | lol ubers spam (Peaked #13)
nobody likes Rhyperior ;_;
Old December 25th, 2014 (01:33 PM).
Sven
Pure Power

Nature: Relaxed
Charmander. It reminds of both games and anime so I always go with it. Yes, it does have trouble beating Brock if it doesnt have Metal Claw but other than that it's pretty awesome :D

Starters are awesome, design and balance wise, in my opinion. Even with nostalgia excluded, they are still my favorite set of starters :D

"The future you see is the future you get."
Old December 25th, 2014 (08:41 PM).
Ayselipera
===========

My nostalgia glasses see flawlessness.

It's funny because I began with loving Charmander and always choosing it as the starter. I've really lost my excitement for that Pokemon and so I almost always go with Squirtle or Bulbasaur.
Old December 26th, 2014 (04:13 AM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

I wound up picking all three, haha.

In my first run of FireRed version, I chose Charmander. Back then, I used to be obsessed with fire-types, generally, which was one of the reasons to my decision. Next is that Charizard was the game's mascot, so it seemed to have been sort of fitting for me to go with that.

Second run—when it came to selecting starters, I picked Squirtle. I would have chosen Charmander again, but heavily leaned on not doing so, as I had already done it in my previous play-through. As for third run, it was Bulbasaur, all due to similar reasons.
Old December 26th, 2014 (04:41 AM).
Spartacus
There's always a choice
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Squirtle. I always choose Squirtle. I like how cute he is and I think the "Squartle Squad" from the anime made me think of him in a cute and kick-ass way. I love turtle's (or tortoise's) in general. Plus, water-type starters are the way for me.
Old December 26th, 2014 (05:45 AM).
Galmar
Banned

Nature: Naive
Bulbasaur, him being chosen makes the first 2 gyms easy to beat.
Old December 26th, 2014 (02:58 PM). Edited December 26th, 2014 by Revise Librarian.
Revise Librarian
Freesia of Desire
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Bulbasaur is my absolute favorite Pokémon of all time. However, I picked Squirtle during my very first playthrough because my sister already had a good Bulbasaur that she was willing to trade me. Of course, I ended up picking Bulbasaur in all of my subsequent playthroughs.

While I'm not that fond of the Kanto region as a whole, the Kanto starters have always been my favorite starter trio (though I really like the others, as well).

"Clustering bonds will illuminate a new miracle...
Become the path that lights the way!"

Project: Nexus | Club Yu-Gi-Oh!
Old December 26th, 2014 (05:07 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I picked Charmander for my very first run through FireRed, and had so much fun that I pretty much always pick Charmander. While I have used the other starters, it just feels wrong to play FireRed/LeafGreen without starting with Charmander.
Old December 27th, 2014 (09:33 AM).
Espurr_Kawaii
Pokemon Trainer Coordinator

Nature: Hardy
SQUIRTLE, its my first choose when im started to play on fr/lg . Its energetic and when i so it the series, i love the episode when the squirtle squad got a mission.. haha ! Squirtle! Squirtle! Squirtle!

♥ Pokemon Contest Challenger♥
♥ Water & Psychic Trainer ♥
Old December 29th, 2014 (01:45 AM).
CoffeeDrink
GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD

Nature: Bold
I chose Squirtle. I chose Squirtle at the very beginning starting with Pokemon Blue Version, so it felt fitting to start with Squirtle once again. He's at level 82 and I still have him somewhere in Pokemon Bank.
Old December 30th, 2014 (11:31 AM).
Toshiro.
Community Supporter

I chose Bulbasuar. I love Bulbasuar. I think the whole Charmander and Charizard thing is overrated. I chose Squirtile in my other version. The two of them help loads with Brock and Misty!
Old December 30th, 2014 (06:33 PM).
Red1530

I picked Charmander for my first playthrough. The fact that it had metal claw made Brock easier to beat.

Platinum FC: 1849 2675 2234
HeartGold FC: 2579 5430 9434
Old January 1st, 2015 (11:46 AM).
Flipii

I picked Bulbasaur because of the first 3 gyms and he was a monster. I loved him in that generation. I made so many files I wanted to text all of their abilities and they all did great. I won the game with Bulbasaur. #Memories
Old January 1st, 2015 (12:11 PM).
Mega XinZhao
Champion of Demacia League

Nature: Adamant
Picked Bulbasaur in FRLG since I picked Squirtle in R/B

The game wasn't kidding on how things would start out for the starters (Oak saying Bulbasaur is easy to raise, Squirtle being more on the medium side of things, Charmander being the hardest to raise)

Quote:
I picked Charmander for my first playthrough. The fact that it had metal claw made Brock easier to beat.
Good point. They knew it had to be done in the remakes.
Old January 1st, 2015 (11:11 PM).
Flourish
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I have always preferred Charmander over the other two, but it already made the game so dull.
I went with Bulbasaur and had fun, so Bulbasaur wins.
Old January 2nd, 2015 (08:35 PM).
Mara
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
I've always gone with Bulbasaur. It made the game easier for me when it evolved into Venusaur. That thing was a beast. xD And I loved it.
Old January 2nd, 2015 (09:13 PM).
AbsolKnight

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Skype™ to AbsolKnight
I always choose Squirtle, since it has an advantage over Charizard and Venusaur, when it becomes a blastoise. Surf & Ice beam with a quick claw. Yea
Old January 2nd, 2015 (09:24 PM).
Warspirit
be nice to nice ♡

Nature: Brave
I always go with Charmander when it's this lot. I restarted my game in FR because I had an unbalanced team and still went with Charmander.

My friend that had gifted the cartridge to me picked a Bulbasaur though. Never used it (I moved it to HG) but heard good things about Venasaur.
Old January 3rd, 2015 (03:49 PM).
Dragon
enbu rengekiha

Nature: Modest
Squirtle!

Just to quote myself from the starter trio thread:

Quote originally posted by Dragon:
I remember for my first run-through of pokemon Blue, I've picked Squirtle. it was because it was a really simple, yet pretty cool pokemon! It was very handy as a water type and it fit well with the team that I was planning at the time - Vileplume, Clefable, Alakazam, etc. I dunno, it's simple design appealed to me, which, while Charmander and Bulbasaur was also really cool, Squirtle just held something pretty dear to me~!
Another partial the reason was when I was playing pokemon Yellow, I used to hate fighting rock type pokemon, especially the first gym. That's because there wasn't much opportunities to get moves that were super effective against Brock's Rock-type pokemon, so, I had to spend a lot of time training my Nidoran♀ to learn double kick. Training a Butterfree didn't really help me at all because of those Rock-type moves, and using Pikachu to beat them just took too long. Plus, Nidoran♀ wasn't exactly a foolproof plan to beat Brock since his Onix had Bide and there was a chance that Nidoran♀ couldn't OHKO is pokemon, so, yeah~!

There was also that dang Rock Tunnel, you know, with all the Hikers and their Ground and Rock pokemon.. ugh, I regretted not training my Bulbasaur or Squirtle that I've gotten on Pokémon Yellow, and those Rock Pokémon were really tough to beat, especially the ones with Self-Destruct that OHKO'd my Pikachu. So there fore, Squirtle was just my way of saying 'REVENGE' to all those ground pokemon in Pokemon LeafGreen, and so that I could breeze through the game much easier! (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

“唯一無二 is easy. You’re irreplaceable. The one and the only. There is only one you in the entire world, nobody else can take your place, the world is diminished if you’re gone.”

Moderator of Video Games
Moderator of The Welcome Lounge
Online Gaming Schedule
Square-Enix Death Battle
Fire Emblem Club
Ask-Me-Anything!
Eeveelution Club
Pocky Sibling!
Fire Emblem One
Old January 4th, 2015 (03:31 AM).
jazzykurl

I personally tend to favour Squirtle, he was my first ever starter and will always have a place in my heart~! Though I did go through part of the game with charmander once, and that was a fun experience.
Old January 6th, 2015 (03:10 PM).
p!kachu

Ah, a hard decision it can be. But I think Squirtle has most often been my favorite.
Old January 8th, 2015 (03:18 PM).
Wraithe

Nature: Careful
I am all about Bulbasaur though I love all three. This is probably the only gen until X and Y that I truly love all three starters. That being said, I cannot stand the design of Blastoise, I really dislike the cannons. Always felt like one artist on the team was really pushing for a mech warrior in the line-up. Shame on that person.
Old January 19th, 2015 (11:43 AM).
TaintedBeing

Squirtle, because Water types are useful when paired with a good Defense stat.

Inhumaine.

Old January 21st, 2015 (07:04 AM).
slim spazzy
Kik: spazzyda59

Nature: Lonely
I recall choosing squirtle because of ice beama nd water attacks XP.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links