• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide to editing overworld sprites in Pokemon Platinum US

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2009
sorry for my bad english i'm vietnamese
where can i download the pokeTEXT tools for pokemon platinum
i want this tools

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2009
Can someone post a working link to poketex? I downloaded it, and whenever i click on a sprite from the drop down menu after opening my rom it stops responding, any ideas?

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
Did you download the .txt file and replace the old one with it?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2012
i need help

i successfully changed hero to goku super syan 4
but i need to change it when hes on a bike to but the off sets different can some one please help me out on it i would be wiling to give you the goku.poke file i made its actually really good for my first try i have the goku bike in bmp already and thanks

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2010
not all hero heroine sprite sheets use 13300 =/ like the bike one for example

Septfox

Questionable Individual
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2010
*copies and pastes from the other copy of this tutorial*
Good evening, gentlemen. And any ladies that might be lurking around.
It's been a long time since I've bothered doing anything with this thread (or anything Pokemon in general), but I've come back to answer the questions that have cropped up...even though the original askers might not be around :\

I don't know if this tutorial is obsolete at this point; I imagine that better tools have come out since I wrote it. If so, GG, it was great to be helpful while I could be, if not, you people are bloody lazy :v
I'll look around a little more after I get done with this post, if this method of sprite replacement is obsolete then I'll note it in the original post and give a link pointing to whatever new information I might have found.

septfox really needs to check this forum more.

He does, the lazy bugger. Someone should tie him up and flog him a bit.

Can someone post a working link to poketex? I downloaded it, and whenever i click on a sprite from the drop down menu after opening my rom it stops responding, any ideas?

Either the ROM you got wasn't a true US copy, it's been trimmed/tweaked/fondled/whatever, or you didn't replace the offset list that Poketex comes with by default. Either one of those will lock the program up; the former because the US offset list points to data that Poketex can't process, the latter because Poketex comes with an offset list for...one of the JAP ROMS I think, in any case it points to data in the US ROM that Poketex can't process. Make sure all your ducks are in a row and try again~

not all hero heroine sprite sheets use 13300 =/ like the bike one for example

Of course not; sheets like the biking ones are different sizes.
An oversight on my part. *cough*
Probably never caught it because I never went past replacing walking/running animations. So yea, "my bad" as all the kewl kids say~
For now, see if the other numbers provided work; 6708 and 8244. I don't recall off the top of my head if those sheets are the same size or not.
Keep in mind that correct coloring in Tile Molester doesn't actually DO anything as long as you don't change any of the colors that it loads. The reason being, as long as Poketex itself can load the correct palette (as evidenced by the sheet looking normal in its viewer), you shouldn't have to bother anywhere else.
As long as, once importing a sheet into Poketex, you change the palette colors to the ones that your sheet actually uses (Poketex will probably load the sheet's original palette assuming you didn't change any colors), your sprite should come out fine.
(I assume this is the same problem as the guy replacing his stuff with DBZ things had.)

Should you change any colors without finding the proper palette number, you'll probably corrupt the file, since Tile Molester will probably save the colors to the wrong location. Yes, I use probably a lot; again, I never delved into editing the secondary sheets. I'll go do it after I eat something, and get back to you~

Mr. Magius

  
Years
You said once I was done editing my sprite, I should import the finished .poke file to PokeTEX...but I never edited a .poke file, I edited a BMP file.

EDIT:
I managed to edit the palettes just fine, but I've no way of editing the actual sprite as I said above:

examplegreenheropt.png

Last edited:

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
Everything worked fine, but... Since you can't open trimmed Roms, does that mean I can't edit my 'Rom Hack'?

How to edit sprites in my trimmed rom, then...? ;_;

Years
  • Seen Feb 14, 2011
Hey Septfox,

Thanks for the tutorial, but I'm trying to edit the heroine's overworld sprite in hg and when I click "Unk. 1" I get a message box with "?????????????????". Could you help me with this?

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
Hey Septfox,

Thanks for the tutorial, but I'm trying to edit the heroine's overworld sprite in hg and when I click "Unk. 1" I get a message box with "?????????????????". Could you help me with this?

The Rom you're using should be untrimmed / unedited...

Be sure to have the correct list.txt file in the same folder as well.

Still need an answer to my question though;
how can I edit overworld sprites in my Rom Hack if I already edited some things?

So, in fact, if you want to edit overworlds, you can only do that at the beginning of your Rom Hacking Project?

Back