• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Crystal Onyx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
  • Pokemon Crystal Onyx

Pokemon Crystal Onyx

Hey I'm Curt_09. I doubt anyone knows me, but hopefully they will soon.
    This is my current hack I'm working on. I've been learning to hack and trying to plan
    a hack for over a month. After a complete restart and a lot of frustration, I'm finally
    getting the hang of this. So read on, and I hope you'll be playing this someday!
    BTW, this is a hack of FireRed (but what isn't these days?)​

Story
    You begin the game as a new graduate from the local Pokemon Academy.
    Going downstairs, you meet up with your rival and go see Director Gavin to get your very first Pokemon.
    You set on a journey to achieve the dream you and your rival both share; to become an
    elite trainer in the Pokemon League Circuit. Along the way you'll run into Team Rocket (who are always up to no good),
    rival circuit trainers, and many new events and places to explore.
    Can you stop the Rockets' schemes to capture rare Pokemon and become the trainer of your childhood dreams?​

Features
    New Hero and Heroine
    Yay, new sprites and OWs!
    New Starters
    Finally, it's time to break away from traditional starter Pokemon. You don't have just
    one choice, and you won't be getting the usual Fire-Water-Grass triangle either.
    Introducing: Baltoy, Cacnea, and Croagunk!
    With slightly modified movesets and stats, they are pretty much even. Plus, their
    secondary types further strengthen the triangle. Never had that before.
    No Gym Leaders
    That's right! While it may not be as unique as it once was, you won't be battling eight
    gyms and the elite four. Instead, you'll travel around battling in local Pokemon League
    Tournaments. Bigger tournaments yield bigger prizes, and the more prestigious ones
    give you badges (I had to make use of that somehow.)
    New Region
    Enter the wonderfully diverse new Gimni Region! Not entirely sure just how diverse
    yet, but it surely beats the heck out of Kanto.
    New Evolution
    Mostly with traded Pokemon, but I'm gonna change it for Espeon and Umbreon to
    Sun Stone and Moon Stone respectively (yeah, real original, I know.) I'm also gonna
    change up Feebas.
    Sinnoh Pokemon
    Yes, a few Sinnoh Pokemon have been included, and a few more may find their way in.
    So far I have Croagunk and Toxicroak, all pre-evos except Mime Jr. and Bonsly,
    and Roserade (use a Leaf Stone with Roselia.)
    Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to work PokeCry, so...
    Croagunk and Toxicroak have Sentret and Furret's cries, and the rest have some weird
    noise (which I think is Unown, but I haven't checked up on yet.)
    Edited Pallets
    I changed up the greens of the grass tiles because I personally hated the old colors.
    Pokemon Crystal Onyx
    Pokemon Crystal Onyx

Let me know if you like it!
    More to come...

Sprites

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Videos

Spoiler:

Region Info

Okay, I decided I'm gonna reveal I little bit about the region

(what I've made so far, anyway...)
    Ahem... The Gimni Region is a fairly ordinary region, and it's natural history lacks
    any major wars, legendary clashes, or epic battles. What it is known for, however, is
    its world famous PokeAcademy and Pokemon League. The PokeAcademy is centered
    in the sprawling Reol City. But education should be spread to all corners, and the Academy
    directors know that not everyone can afford to journey to the big city for a proper trainer
    education. So they funded offshoots to four regional branches, and numerous smaller
    PokeSchools. Schools teach the basics (kind of like grade school), and Academies are
    more specialized in the finer points of battling.
    Why the focus on learning young trainers? Well, almost everyone dreams of competing
    at the highest levels in the Pokemon League. The Pokemon League in Gimni is as it
    should be: a tournament. Or rather, it is an entire league of tournaments. Just about
    every town has its own, and for most it's their city's pride. The more prestigious the town/city,
    the better the tournament. Bigger tournaments attract more trainers, which
    makes the area more desirable to live in. (Similar to how everyone wants to live in Beverly Hills
    next door to a movie star.)
    Even more important to a town are the trainers it yields. Many towns have become famous
    simply because a tournament champion originated there. So every young boy or girl
    dreams of making their family, their friends, and their city proud by becoming the greatest trainer.​

World Map

Pokemon Crystal Onyx

Feedback is appreciated!

Help Wanted!
    That's right, you get to influence the making of this game, and you even get a
    nice shiny spot in the credits section. I've tried these things myself, but
    I don't really have any more time or patience to deal with them.
    I'm in dire need of the following;
    Tilemapper - someone who can do the titlescreen and world map
    An OW spriter - The hero OW's look a little funky in some poses, and I would have
    liked to do the Muk scene a little differently.
    Tilemaker/inserter - really, I can insert myself if need be
    Spriter - Not so urgent, but it would me nice if I could change up some of the trainers, especially the Rockets.
    I'll make a thread in the team discussions later.
    You may also post here (if the mods don't mind)or send me a PM.
    I'm looking for people who can do these things because I'm not great at them.

Credits

All of the awesome tool makers and tutorial writers!

My most commonly used are:
    AdvanceMap
    XSE
    Pokemon Editor Pro and YAPE
    Hacked UnLz
    DiegoisAwesome's Mega Huge XSE Scripting Tutorial
    RaiRaikun's XSE Scripting Tutorial​

Downloads

Okay, well the first Alpha 2 had a few minor bugs. I've fixed those

up and uploaded the new patch. For those of you who have already
    downloaded it... Sorry. If you don't mind the bugs, keep on going.
    I have re-attached the Alpha 2! Try it out and tell me what you think.
    It ends once you get to your hometown, Caldera Town.
    A few little things... There are a few signposts without scripts (a door, and
    two computers in the hydroelectric plant.)​

I'm leaving up the first Alpha for a little while, to see if more people download​

the second one.​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2009
    Hey Curt_09!

Nice looking hack you have there. I like your sprites, they look tidy. Your maps look ok. Some really nice ideas too. I always like the change to the original starters and type-triangle. I also like the idea of there being no Gym Leader or Elite Four. I'll be interested to see how this hack progresses. Anyway, great start and I'll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Looks like you've been working hard, can't wait to play! If you need a beta tester, I'm your man!

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Hey Curt_09!

Nice looking hack you have there. I like your sprites, they look tidy. Your maps look ok. Some really nice ideas too. I always like the change to the original starters and type-triangle. I also like the idea of there being no Gym Leader or Elite Four. I'll be interested to see how this hack progresses. Anyway, great start and I'll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks, I'm doing my best. Hopefully this will progress quickly. It'll probably go as fast as I can make up the story.

manga_meijin2 said:
    Looks like you've been working hard, can't wait to play! If you need a beta tester, I'm your man!

Thanks, but so far I'm testing it myself. Whenever it gets longer and more complex I'll probably need help finding bugs though.

alo123

Munchlax Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2019
    Great looking screen shots cant wait to play and I also like croagunk as a starter

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
    Years
  • Looks fine and neater than my hack ;)
    Craogunk isn't really my type but i love to have a baltoy :D

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • I like your Idea of making Croagunk your starter ;)
    alo123 said:
    Great looking screen shots cant wait to play and I also like croagunk as a starter
    pokedialga said:
    Looks fine and neater than my hack ;)
    Craogunk isn't really my type but i love to have a baltoy :D

Thank you all. I personally love all three starters. I may be partial to Cacnea and Croagunk myself... But that doesn't mean that they'll gain any kind of advantage. They're just more offense-oriented, which I like.

Update: I have completely finished the PokeAcademy North Branch (where you start), and now all I have to do is a little NPC editing in Rumblerock City and script the tourney to complete the Alpha.
    In the first post I added screenshots of all three starters.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    At a guess, you are going for the Ground-Poison-Grass triangle. Interesting, but the choice could be better, as Baltoy has a major disadvantage over Cacnea when it becomes Cacturne (Grass Dark... doesn't work with the Psychic of Claydol...) and Toxicroak has a major disadvantage over Claydol (Psychic doe 4x more damage...), and Cacturne is fine in the middle... I'd change the choice just a little bit for all of them to have a fair chance, bu that is just me. I look forward to this.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Master_Z said:
    Interesting. Good luck with your hack. :)

Thanks man, I'll need it.

At a guess, you are going for the Ground-Poison-Grass triangle. Interesting, but the choice could be better, as Baltoy has a major disadvantage over Cacnea when it becomes Cacturne (Grass Dark... doesn't work with the Psychic of Claydol...) and Toxicroak has a major disadvantage over Claydol (Psychic doe 4x more damage...), and Cacturne is fine in the middle... I'd change the choice just a little bit for all of them to have a fair chance, bu that is just me. I look forward to this.

The triangle is supposed to be double strong. Since most people are more than likely going to choose Croagunk, it seems only fair to the other starters to make people rethink that choice. Plus, I like a higher degree of difficulty for all of the starters with their secondary types when fighting the rival. This game will be a little tougher than Nintendo (but not overly so.)
    Thanks, I have a preview for you that will have you looking forward to future Betas. :D

UPDATE: A short Alpha is out. It is the beginning of the actual game, and lets you choose your starter and get your first taste of tournament action. Rather than try to make videos, I'll let this speak for my scripting skills. Enjoy!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Hang on, a double triangle doesn't work either. Claydo can't do anything to Cacturne Psychic-wise, so that isn't a triangle.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Hang on, a double triangle doesn't work either. Claydo can't do anything to Cacturne Psychic-wise, so that isn't a triangle.

Well, it's not a perfect double triangle. It's really just a single triangle on roids. Some things get bigger, some get smaller.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • The alpha is good and I like the tourney

Thanks. I'll try to finish the next one sometime this week.

Update: I've added a little bit of backstory to the region. Hopefully this will explain the purpose and motivation behind your character.

alo123

Munchlax Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2019
    if your game has bad guys they could be trying to mine what they think is rare crystals but its really a crystal onix which gets it mad and it goes on a rampage or crystal onix was an experiment that went terribly wrong just a thought

By the way looking forward to the next release

Last edited:

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • if your game has bad guys they could be trying to mine what they think is rare crystals but its really a crystal onix which gets it mad and it goes on a rampage or crystal onix was an experiment that went terribly wrong just a thought

By the way looking forward to the next release

I had something similar in mind...
    The "bad guys" are Team Rocket. They are, as usual, searching out and stealing rare and valuable pokemon, as well as regular money-making schemes (such as mining all of the crystals.) Along the storyline, you'll cross paths with them on their many minor and unrelated missions. It's not all leading up to some great climax of eminent world domination or anything. You just stop them whenever you can. I will say, there will be a "Crystalix" (because Crystal Onix is more than 10 characters) in the game. The rest I'm leaving a mystery for now...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back