The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet Need help on your technology problems, whether your computer is malfunctioning, or you need help removing a virus? Perhaps you also want to chill and talk about the internet as a whole, too! Looks like you've come to the right place then!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Saltare.
Brain bangin'

Nature: Naive
Send a message via AIM to Saltare. Send a message via Yahoo to Saltare.
Okay. So my computer is being really lagging and taking forever to load. And the cursor stalls and drags across the screen.

Fix?

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
.little monster
Donator Tier 4

1. Clean out the mouse.
2. Clean the mouse pad.
3. Run a registry cleaner (Ccleaner is recommended)
4. Run a virus scan through a virus scanner with a large database. AVG, Avira..google.
5. Cleaning out the dust inside might help.

Hello, hello baby you called but I can't hear a thing.

Old July 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
SMGKururu
Beginning Trainer

^Like He said, clean the stuff, or consider a new mouse/new mouse pad. If you're a gamer and have been eying some gaming mouse/keyboard for a long time, now's your chance. (Just for the record, SteelSeries has the best stuff.)

Check up on what programs are running in the background, and try closing them. These include instant messengers (AIM, ICQ, GTalk, XFire, MSN Messenger, ETC), Torrent Programs such as MuTorrent, and usually AntiVirus.

Lots of those programs run when you start the computer, so go in the options and shut that off. Those put a significant drag on boot time.

Also, running too many applications at a time, like having three firefox windows (not tabs) open or having an emulator, maplestory and firefox running, or any number of applications usually isn't smart.

Run CCleaner and AVG (Google them.) Run Windows Defender (which came with your PC). Run Windows Updater.

If all else fails, you've got two options:

-Buy More Ram or a better processor

or

-Re-Install the OS/Upgrade/Downgrade. If you're changing the OS do NOT change to Vista, try XP. But if you already have vista then it's ok to keep it.

Also, are you on a laptop, a netbook (mini-laptop), or a Desktop?

I did despise my low, undeserved rep at first, but now I'm infamous, and in my book that's kick***
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Zet

Nature: Jolly
How much space is free left on the harddrive? it may be time for some spring cleaning
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Godot17
The Skeptical Scepter

Nature: Serious
My dear girl, sometimes your strange gender gets into the internet too much and downloads so much junk into the temporary folder it makes the other junk in your trunk look like a scrap of dust bunnies inside a Texas Enhanced Bill Gates Mansion.

So what I recommend is getting a system cleaner of some sort, like the System Mechanic from Iolo. That one works like a charm even in the free version.

Or get your dad to buy an extra Truckload of RAM. If you mess up with 2GB then oh my....
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
twocows
Penguin

Nature: Lax
Maybe your mouse settings are turned down? Control Panel --> Mouse --> Pointer Options; adjust pointer speed until it feels right and click OK.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.

Nature: Modest
I'm assuming that you have XP, because it seems to get more run down like that. The XP registry corrupts easily, so I'd suggest you take the above advice and get a registry cleaner as well as doing a Virus Scan. I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned Defragmenting yet, but Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defrag can't hurt if you're able to leave it defragging for 1-2 hours.

Just out of curiosity, it's worth checking Control Panel>Mouse and Pointers>Pointer: Show cursor trail. If I remember the path right and make sure it's not set to show your cursor trail, which make it look laggy.

Sometimes you need to do a reinstall of XP. Over time, the installation becomes a mess and you'll never get it quite right. If you know what you're doing, it's worth a try, but don't otherwise. Just stick with the tools mentioned above.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon

Nature: Lax
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Make sure there is no dirt in the Mouse.
Have you ran a computer cleaner like CCleaner on it?
There might just be a lot of rubbish in your HDD.

Try defragging it.

Sponsored Links