The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Chronic
Off for the Ultimate Victory!

Nature: Adamant
Hey there...

Today, I'm going to present ya a game project which has taken two years of strict planning and polishing, as well as the invaluable help of my collaborators, which helped me give it the last touches to the story and several inputs to this project, reason for which I give them full credit.

Well, without further ado, let me present ya... Pokemon Azurite:

Quote:
Welcome to the land of Sihma

Spoiler:

In this adventure, you'll travel though the Sihma region, a large, island region home to many unknown species and ancient secrets buried in the sand. The region itself is so large it is divided in three sections:

Uniga, the first island and where your adventure begins, is a large, mountainous island with large, underground cave networks. Its mountains are also rich in valuable objects.

Diiga, a glacier world, is an icy group of two long islands close to each other. It is partially covered with snow because of the glaciers which still shape it's valleys. Snowfall is common in this place all year long.

Remains Islands, a small group of nearby islands which, as legends tell, were once a large area which was ravaged by devastation, leaving only remains of it's former glory.

The large sea routes that connect the different sections are the only way to travel throughout the region. It's seas are full of ancient ruins and treasures, and it's shores and valleys are marked by a dark legend which, if repeating itself, would mean the end of the world as we know it...
Story
Your story begins in Salwood Town, a small town in Uniga, home of the region’s Pokemon Lab and Professor Lily, which is an expert on Pokemon adaptation. You are an enthusiast who helps Professor Lily with her investigations in her Lab. You have always wanted your own Pokemon, but because of multiple reasons, you haven’t been able to get yours... until now.

You wake up from a nightmare. The same dream has been haunting you since a week now and you wonder what it is. You then check your clock… you’re late to the Lab. You were supposed to be there an hour ago. You rush to the Lab and find out the Professor went out for something yet unknown. You go outside to look for her, and before you get outside, she enters the Lab.

She bugs you with your delay and then says you you’re going with her to Route 601 to search for Pokemon. Once there, the Professor tells you she's searching for one of three specific Pokemon (starters). You choose anyone of them and go on searching until you spot it, then it runs away. You follow the fleeing Pokemon until you reach a small clearing. The small Pokemon can no longer run and you catch it with ease.

Now, you then decide to go back to the Lab when you are attacked by a wild Pokemon. You must then battle the attacking Pokemon with the only Pokemon you’ve got. You win, or so you thought… The Pokemon recovers and tries to attack you again. Your Pokemon is tired and can’t battle any longer. Then, someone appears and captures the attacker Pokemon. He then helps you and together return to the Lab.

You are received by the Professor, who then introduces you Jack (the guy who saved you earlier), and tells you he just moved in town today so she went to meet him. Then Jack talks about your battle and how outstanding you were, in spite of the near-defeat. The Professor then decides to give you the Pokemon you just caught as a gift. Now that you have a Pokemon, you decide to go on in your journey through the world.

As your story unfolds, you'll find out about the region's dark past, and will acknowledge there are some who wish to use it for their own convenience, and, without you even noticing, you'll be dragged into this plot, becoming witness and actor of this struggle between factions as they struggle to achieve their plans... plans no one wishes to be accomplished.
Features
Throughout the game, you'll find several new stuff and some comebacks to really test the player in his/her quest for the Championship. I'll now be enlisting some of the features to be expected in this game:
  • New characters
  • + nearly 100 new Pokemon species with new type matchups
  • New abilities, moves and items
  • Two new, more passionately evil teams
  • New Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Champion
  • More fierce, complex battle system
  • Extended Day/Night System with changing Weather and Seasons
  • Real-time Clock for coordination with the real world
  • Soul World and Close Space make an appearance (special, rule-breaking places like Distortion World)
  • + much more...
Join the Team...
The project runs fine right now. We've got up to the first city mapped... and still growing. Any help would be welcome. Below you'll find the most important positions to be filled:

Spoiler:

Coders -> The project is rather ambitious, so it is intended to be in Flash or RPG Maker while no Actionscript coder is found. Anyone capable of coding in any of this two platforms is welcome.

Musicians -> The music and sounds for this game are intended to be special and unique.

Tiler -> Although I can develop most of the graphics, I'm unable to tile well. Help in this area will be welcome.

Testers -> To try out any release for the game, to help with the debug and user experience. Anyone is welcome to apply.

To apply, just leave me a PM or VM with the basic stuff: name, area to apply, previous work, preferred method of contact, and so on...

Apart from this, any ideas for new moves, abilities, items or Pokemons will be welcome. Critics are also received...
Members
Chronic -> General graphics, Plot, Idealist and Direction S1
Maky -> Coding, Plot, Idealist and Direction S2
pokekingkian -> Spriter, Idealist and Beta Testing
RataHack -> Tiling
agent destroyer -> Coding
divine.murder -> Story, Idealist and Beta Testing
Credits
Nintendo; for the Pokemon general idea, some resources and structure.
DarkKay and Maky; for giving me the final touches and motivation to take the project to the next step.
Blazers; for the support banners.
Kyledove; for tiles.
poccil; for Starter Kit.
Support

Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=187896"][IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/dnj9c0.png[/IMG][/URL]

Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=187896"][IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/34qmflw.png[/IMG][/URL]

Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=187896"][IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/25smqme.png[/IMG][/URL]

Read ya later...

Last edited by Chronic; September 13th, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Chronic

Well... I guess it didn't hit hard enough. Is anyone interested..?
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

I think you are not going to get many people to code flash for you. Unless you are good at it, or are using more familiar programs (like RMXP) you'll be stuck in the planning phase a bit longer. Why not try to use the starter kit if you are unable to begin development and once you are better with scripting and have a larger team, you could start with coding it to some other platform. Personally I would like to help, but I'm terrible at spriting, and even worse with flash.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

Nature: Quirky
hey im intrested the storyline is cool just wondering what are the starters? or dont you want 2 reveal? just wondering can i test for bugs

thanks

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,
Please visit his Fusion thread.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Chronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
I think you are not going to get many people to code flash for you. Unless you are good at it, or are using more familiar programs (like RMXP) you'll be stuck in the planning phase a bit longer. Why not try to use the starter kit if you are unable to begin development and once you are better with scripting and have a larger team, you could start with coding it to some other platform. Personally I would like to help, but I'm terrible at spriting, and even worse with flash.
We decided it would be better in Flash partly because it's very similar to the programming languages we know and partly because we wanted a higher challenge (can be summarized as "we wanted to struggle with the "scratch engine" problems")...

Any help is welcome... The ones I posted are the most urgent ones, but anyone is welcome to help in whatever they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekingkian View Post
hey im intrested the storyline is cool just wondering what are the starters? or dont you want 2 reveal? just wondering can i test for bugs

thanks

~kian
Well, the Starters will be explained shortly... Of course you may check for bugs... I'll contact you when we have something for you to test.

Well, a small spoiler for the game:

Starters
The Starters for the game are as follows:

Ailambu, the Tiny Panda Pokemon

For this species, agility is life. This Pokemon is naturally quick and swift, relying mostly on speedy moves and super effective hits. It becomes Dark-type when evolving.

Waxan, the Wax Pokemon

This Pokemon is mischievous and playful, and becomes more active in the night, when it haunts wanderers in old buildings. It becomes Ghost-type when evolving.

Corya, the Sponge Pokemon

This Pokemon has troubles walking on land, as it is adapted to the sea. It's anatomy makes it slow but very resistant. It furthers its resistance by becoming Steel-type when evolving.

Last edited by Chronic; July 29th, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

cool thanks for the info im looking fowerd to this good luck just pm me when you need me

thanks

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Chronic

Well, more updates to the plot (and more spoilers as well) This time, a little background info for the evil teams in the game, team Vita and team Necro:

Quote:
Spoilers ahead...

Spoiler:

Evil Teams' story:

Team Vita: Team Vita began as an organization dedicated to rare Pokemon traffic, stealing and reselling rare Pokemons from the vast region. But, because of their lack of an effective leadership, the team soon broke up. Even though, a man later reunited the team and became it's leader.

Team Necro: Team Necro was formed as a response to team Vita. They were rival organizations, which competed for almost everything, and because of this constant competition, most of their jobs became screwed up. This affected both teams, especially Team Vita, which lost enormous amounts of money, but still was the most powerful one. The competition ended when the leader of Team Vita seized control of Team Necro and made it "an extention of the greatest evil organization in the whole world". How did Team Vita managed to annex Team Necro...? It's still a mystery, even for the team members.

Nowadays, the two organizations have the complete control of Sihma's criminal world. The two teams are directed by an unpredictable yet cold and meticulous character known only as Clement.

Clement's previous story is unknown, probably arrived at Sihma as an immigrant and saw a huge opportunity on the criminal world which was hosted in the Sihma region. He managed to take control of Team Vita first, and then seized Team Necro. The methods he used are still a mystery. Nowadays, he makes millions of dollars every year from any kind of illegal activity which may exist, as he "gets bored of monotony very easily" and "never likes to do the same stuff more than once, unless necessary".

Clement is a master of the Dark and Ghost-type Pokemon, having as his favorite Pokemon Mismagius, Umbreon, Adamasword (the only non Dark or Ghost-type Pokemon in his team), Kingrazz and Candela.

Unlike most of the games, neither Team Vita nor Team Necro knows about the region's legend from the start, mostly because Clement doesn't. Even though, as soon as Clement gets to know the legend of the region, he changes all the Teams' activities to pursue the newly created plan: obtain the power from the legendaries to rule the world...
Well, this is the summarized story of the Teams... This Teams, as random as they are, are sure to be very passionate and eager to their doings. They are harsh and always seek to get the work done, so there's no "I'll go to do some things first, then this", 'cause they never wait too long.

Every mission in which you compete against them is a time issue. You are given a certain amount of time, after which they execute their doing and blow the place. If you delay too long, you will not be able to return to that place until the world becomes restored (explained later...)

The clock only runs outside of battle and when not interacting with anything. If you happen to fail, you'll be defeated and will be taken to the last healing spot, without money and some random items (Key Items are never lost, that's for sure) The more items you've got, the more you loose, so it's better for the player to try to get the things done...

Read ya later...
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

well ive TRYED lol to make a fanbar but the writing on it sucks but here it is hope you dont mind

ill just make the water one in a non animated one because that fits in better here it is:

im new to fan bars so they're not 2 good well good luck with the rest of te project

thanks

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Chronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekingkian View Post
well ive TRYED lol to make a fanbar but the writing on it sucks but here it is hope you dont mind

ill just make the water one in a non animated one because that fits in better here it is:

im new to fan bars so they're not 2 good well good luck with the rest of te project

thanks

~kian
Thanks for the support. It's really helpful... Although I can barely see the letters, it's still a nice try. Maybe I'll upload some official art soon.

Also, I think I'll be changing from Flash to RPG Maker again, to start the development right the way and to allow me to get better with Actionscript, which has dealt me lots of troubles up to now.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
Thanks for the support. It's really helpful... Although I can barely see the letters, it's still a nice try. Maybe I'll upload some official art soon.

Also, I think I'll be changing from Flash to RPG Maker again, to start the development right the way and to allow me to get better with Actionscript, which has dealt me lots of troubles up to now.
If you need any scripting help in RMXP, you can always contact me through PM. I'll be glad to help.
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Chronic

Thanks for all the support... Now, it's time for some small updates. This time, I'll be covering some of the improvements for the maps, as well as one of the most special characteristics of this game: random weather and seasons...

Quote:
Spoilers ahead (once more...)

Spoiler:
Map improvements:

The map system is planned to be expanded as much as possible (one of the advantages Flash had was that: additional terrain tag support, but I guess it's just a matter of trial and mistake) with the implementation and reinstauration of terrain obstacles (Diving Spots, Cut Trees, and similar) Throughout the Sihma region, you'll find not only the already present Cut Trees, Strenght Boulders, Rock Smash Rocks, Rocky Cliffs and Waterfalls; but you'll also find special, unique or restored obstacles. These obstacles include:

Hover Spots
Freeze Paths
Diving Spots
Whirlpools
Quicksands
and more...

These obstacles can be either in the outside or in the inside, being some of them Gym Traps. The use of these moves is not limited, except for the HM moves, and can be easily obtained, by learning or by TM. These moves are useful in battle and in the field, so it's convenient to have some Pokemon learn these moves.

Apart from this, two other factors come in play when in battle or in maps, as the geography can suddenly transform: Weather and Seasons...

Weather and Seasons:

Climate in this game is random, being rainy one day and sunny the next one. Although the different climate changes change with the player's actual position. The climate changes can be easily tracked by TV or by the Pokepalm, a special device similar to the Pokegear or the Poketch.

Once every day, normally at the earliest hours, the normal TV broadcast shows the Weather Bulletin, which allows the player to easily track the weather in the nearby places.

The climate also got improved, having extra additions:

Snow
Windy
Stormy
and others...

Seasons work in a similar way, except they are actually real-time, changing the entire tiling, overworld appearance, weather patterns and Pokemon appearance. There are certain events which work with these season changes and are required to unlock certain places, people, and similar.

The first beta release will only have two seasons: summer and winter. The final game will have all.

The weather and climate transform the mapping, making some sections of the map open or close, or changing the obstacles in the map, as well as the people. Also, some evolution methods require an special weather or season to occur.
The next update might have some screenshots, as I'll get even busier from now on...

Best of lucks for everyone and read ya later...

Edit: Development begins this Saturday, and, as a right-foot start, new images will be available...
Anyone interested in joining the development group is welcome to apply at any time.

Read ya tomorrow... A new age of adventures and dreams is about to unfold...

Last edited by Chronic; August 15th, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Chronic

Quote:
Official Art for the Starters:

Well, you've already seen my li'l freaks... So, I present them once more, V2.

Spoiler:

Ailambu, the Tiny panda Pokemon

Spoiler:

Waxan, the Wax Pokemon

Spoiler:

Corya, the Sponge Pokemon

To give your opinion about any of the pictures, click on the picture or leave it in here (although I'll prefer the first option, but it's up to you)

These will become the base for the sprites of the Starters
I'll be bringing ya some screenshots as soon as the first map is complete (which I expect will occur for next Saturday or probably this Sunday)

I'll begin using (temporarily) Kyledove's tiles, then I'll substitute them with my own. I'll give him credit once I start posting the screens.

It's Time for Step 3...

Be happy, be nice and read ya later...

Last edited by Chronic; August 16th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

do u need any help with this ideas/beta tester/begginer mapper?

i just really like this idea

thanks

~kian

'tyranilacegon'
Made By The Mystery Egg,
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Chronic

Yeah... Any help is very valuable. Just send me the required PM or VM. It must contain username*, area(s) to apply*, any previous work, prefered method of contact* and additional info. (items without * are optional, previous work is preferred but optional)

Read ya later...
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Do you have any screens you could show us?
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Chronic

Unfortunately, no... The PC in which I have the project's files isn't this one... This is my "portable office"... I'll try to post some screens next Saturday, as this week will also be certainly busy.

I expect that by next week I'll be able to post some actual game material, apart from more concept art and a li'l surprise included in the game...

Read ya later...
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Chronic

Well, posting to tell ya we're not dead yet, nor we intend to be...

We have finally gathered and begun the mapping process... I'll be posting some maps soon. Recall we're using Kyledove's tiles, so you may guess the current style.

In other news, the region map is being redone with a hybrid style based on a HGSS Style for the routes and places but using a completely different focus for land and sea. Wait more soon...

Read ya later...
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Kyle dove, good choice.
Now will the maps be done in Kyledove HG/SS tiles or just the region map?
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Chronic

Kyledove's style will be present only in the overworld map, the region map is done in my style and will soon be resprited in a brand new style. We try to be as unique as possible but also try to use all the resources we may have in hand until we develop our own resources... and what better resources for maps than Kyle's?

Last edited by Chronic; August 28th, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Chronic

New region map style has been created. Critics are welcome... Check the first post.
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
I have to say, I like the style of the new map quite a bit. Original and it has a good feel to it.

Old August 31st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Birdybot
-insert witty phrase here-

Nature: Jolly
I could probably do some testing for you when it gets to that stage.

Old August 31st, 2009, 03:42 AM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

That's one big map.
I'm sure the adventure will be great!
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Chronic

Well, we've been developing a little bit since my last update, so I'll comment on the latest updates so far:

At last, the 102 New Pokemon list is finished... I may be posting the entire Pokedex, so be sure to check it...

More artwork will be added soon, featuring some early encounters in the game...

Mapping up to the first city, Meadowburg City, has been completed. I'll post the info for each town or city so far... Watch it, as some maps may be huge. Be sure to check it...

Quote:
Spoiler:

Salwood Town, the very first town you'll see in the game, is a relatively small place, only noted because of the Pokemon Lab it holds (big house at the top-right corner).

Spoiler:

Canevile Town, the crossroads town, is the access point to all the rest of the island. You may need to cross by here more than once.

Spoiler:

Meadowburg City, the first city, has very little attractive, except from the first Gym in the island. The Leader, Grace, is a user of Grass-type Pokemon, but may carry on a small surprise, so be prepared. Once you beat her, she'll give you the Petal Badge, which will allow you to use Cut. (Click to view large one)

Read ya later...
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Look real sharp.
I was waitin for an update.
When are you moving this into the showcase?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links