Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase
Reload this Page Blue Pokémon Blue with Japanese Graphics

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2010 (09:32 AM).
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
When Pokémon first came out in Japan, they were known as Pokémon Red & Green. Several months later, the first third version came out, called Pokémon Blue. In the Japanese Pokémon Blue, the sprites were different, the wild Pokémon were changed, the in-game trades were changed, the Cerulean Cave layout was changed, and the tileset graphics were changed. When they decided to localize Pokémon, rather than translating Pokemon Red & Green, they decided to translate Pokémon Blue, and keep the graphics of Pokémon Blue, but use the wild Pokémon and in-game trades from Pokémon Red & Green. Do you know what this means? Not very many people know what Kanto originally looked like! And I'm not talking about Pokémon Red & Blue that you've all played, I'm talking about the original originals!

Did that not make sense? Well, imagine it like this: Let's pretend Pokémon Diamond & Pearl was never released in America, and Pokémon Platinum already came out in Japan. Then let's pretend they finally decide to release Pokémon Diamond & Pearl in America, so they take Pokémon Platinum, change the wild Pokémon to the Diamond/Pearl ones, and then release it as Diamond & Pearl, even though it's actually Platinum. That's exactly what happened in Gen I!

Believe it or not, my first Pokémon game was the Japanese Red & Green versions. Not going to explain why or how, but anyways, when I got the English Red & Blue, I was kinda confused as to why the graphics are so different.

On the left side is what the Japanese Pokémon Blue, and the International Pokémon Red & Blue looks like, on the right side is what the Japanese Pokémon Red & Green looks like.

I made this a few months ago, but anyways, here's a patch for Pokémon Blue that will make the graphics look like Pokémon Red & Green. The Pokémon sprites have not been changed! I recommend playing through it just once, so you should know how Kanto originally looked like (I have not changed Cerulean Cave back though).
Attached Files
File Type: ips PokemonBlueNewGraphics.ips‎ (1.1 KB, 1201 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old September 4th, 2010 (12:53 PM).
Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
Wow loooks Really goood :D

Played it :D
Old September 5th, 2010 (12:40 AM).
The Legendary Trio

I don't really see what's the big deal with the graphics. :/
Oh well, if others like it then maybe I will too.

Let's get down to it!
Old September 6th, 2010 (08:08 AM).
the better journalist
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
It seems pretty tough to tell the difference between the graphics, but I guess this is good.
Old October 22nd, 2010 (07:34 PM).

Eh, not bad. sprites could use a change though
Old November 4th, 2010 (01:04 PM).
A nobody, just like you.

Much softer on the eyes. Thanks!
Old November 4th, 2010 (10:51 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
Please, don't post in threads over a month old.
Closed~

This one's called 'Blue', and it's very Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)