• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tunnel-Vision or Open-Minded?

Years
  • I'm asking simply: Are you tunnel-visioned, like do you think one way only, no matter what? Or are you open minded, always trying new things, and never think the same way?

Speak truthfully to the following questions!

1. Are You Tunnel-Visioned?

2. Are You Open-Minded?

3. Do you know anybody who is Open-Minded/Tunnel-Visioned?

4. Are You Annoyed When Someone Is Tunnel-Visioned/Open-Minded?

5. Do You Ever Wish You Were The Opposite?

6. If You Are Tunnel-Minded, What Do You Think Like?(Leave blank if not)

7. If You Are Open-Minded, What Do You Think Like?(Leave blank if not)

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • 1. Are You Tunnel-Visioned?
    No

2. Are You Open-Minded?
    Yes

My Mother.

Occasionally, but I'm not bothered most of the times.

Nope.

________

Like a frag-grenade.
    Figure that out for yourself. ;D

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I am in the middle. I am not too tunnel minded where I can't see the truth, but I am also not to upon minded to the point where my brain falls out.

Ayselipera

No

2. Are You Open-Minded?
    Yes

Most people I know are in the middle, but I've known a few people who were really tunnel-visioned.

Extremely tunnel-visioned people can really annoy me.

Never.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    On food, but it is not really my choice there because I have a really bad gag reflex. Still I'm probably avoiding foods that I could be eating.

2. Are You Open-Minded?
    I like to think so. But then again I used to think I was back when I wasn't. However I believe I am TRULY open-minded at this point. (although not fully, nobody ever is. D:) I am open to all kinds of music, and things like that.

Truth is, we are all both in some ways.

I get annoyed at close-minded people very easily. Even though I understand why somebody would think that way (as I have), we should be living our lives to the fullest.

It's very easy to judge things for the wrong reasons. Like "This is anime, it instantly sucks!", "Mainstream music is all bad!", or even "Classical music is boring!", and I just think it's bad to do that. Keeping an open-mind allows you to enjoy all kinds of things. Not all anime is weird, not all mainstream music is bad, and not all classical music is boring.

But one has to have an open-mind to even accept such things as reality at times. The mind is a very powerful thing.

So yes, having been at that stage before, it annoys me. I was missing out on so much. (although the examples I gave didn't really apply to me. Except a little bit of the mainstream one.)

It's just saddening to see somebody write off something for such ridiculous reasons. Keep an open-mind and give it a real chance, and you might end up liking it. :o When you have a closed mind you will look for every single flaw in it, instead of enjoying it for what it is.

No!

N/A

What do you mean?

I feel that being close-minded is only hurting one's self. I've been there, done that. So I try to be as open-minded as I possibly can. You never know what good you'll find in something that you shunned for so long.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    No
    2. Are You Open-Minded?
    Yes
    Yes my grandmother still love her to death though.
    Yes because then trying to discuss anything is pointless if they're close minded, just boring and frustrating.
    Not at all.
    *Blank*
    7. If You Are Open-Minded, What Do You Think Like?
    Too hard and long to explain.

Years
    There are some things I won't compromise on, things I've deliberately decided to be "tunnel-visioned" about, things that have taken years for me to reach the conclusions I've come to. I'm a pacifist and a vegetarian. I'm sure I'm not completely aware of other things I'm close-minded about.

2. Are You Open-Minded?
    I think I'm very open-minded, but when I was younger I thought that as well and I know I wasn't nearly as open as I am now. Like how I used to think that being an atheist meant I could be a jerk about it and still be open-minded because I was "right" and I thought that's what made you open-minded, seeing the truth when other people didn't. I'm not a jerk about it anymore.

Yes, plenty of both types and everything in between. Who isn't one or the other about something?

When someone holds a different point of view from me and is tunnel-visioned about it of course that bugs me a little. I want to show them that they're wrong, but I know that is stupid. I just keep telling myself that most of the time people can't help being close-minded. If they're going to change they have to realize it for themselves. All I can do is present myself and let them see what I am. They have to make their own decisions.

I'm more happy with how I am than I would be if I were "the opposite" of me, whatever that means.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    I'd say I'm rather open-minded. I dislike stubbornness, and I feel rather upset when they think it's a good thing to continue to think the same thing even if it's wrong. (If they don't like abortions, fine. If they're refusing a scientific fact it's quite aggravating.) I am always open to hearing the truth, and I can handle anything that is thrown at me. My open-mindedness makes it easy for others to speak to me, for I don't get pissy if they did something I don't like. Most of the time I'm neutral to their secrets, so I can advise them through a situation without much of an explosion, if at all. Figurative speech, of course.

Apologies for not answering your questions directly at the start.

I believe my thinking is fake-randomness. Meaning I look at something, remember something from my past, notice something in the background of it, questions bubble up, and then I say something that people deem to be random. And then there's the alternative route. Synesthesia, (wiki it.) when hearing certain words make me taste certain things. And those trigger more thoughts, so it's an array of things. But this might just be me.

(Please note that just about everyone has some form of Synesthesia.)

Long winded for a meaningless reply. xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023

1. Are You Tunnel-Visioned?
    no
    2. Are You Open-Minded?
    yes, i am.
    i know quite a bit of my friends are open and tunnel.
    no, i actually like people who are.
    no. i love trying new things.
    blank
    i try to do many things and i think on the positive side. i enjoy many things, which is why i know im open minded. my mom says im open minded too :P

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • I listen to many people's ideas. And if they make sense to me, and I can apply them to my life, they become my own.

Sometimes I argue against people that think the way I do, just to see what kind of counter-argument they come up with. It helps them think about their beliefs, and it might help me see things in a different way.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    Probably.

2. Are You Open-Minded?

I think most of the people I know are tunnel-visioned. My dad's pretty open minded though.. I wish I could be more like him.

It's funny, really.. I hate it when I'm around people who are tunnel-visioned..

Yeah.. I'd probably be a lot easier to deal with. lol

I hardy want to do new things. I like routine. I've always tried to avoid change when I can. I like it when I do try new things finally.. but then when I get comfortable with that I want things to stay the way they are.. It really makes me a difficult person to be around.. .

Akari

Man
    Years
  • I think the concept of being open-minded is mistaken quite often. Some would consider themselves to be open minded because they can like new forms of music and/or are politically liberal, but still hold strong opinions. Being open-minded requires a bit of neutrality as one can't dismiss or accept any new ideas easily.

As for me, I consider myself half-way between tunnel-visioned and open-minded. Culturally, I am quite conservative about being the best I can be to repay the efforts made by my ancestors. I hold quite principled views on various political issues. However, I would never disregard anyone's opinions as wrong or impotent simply because they are different. Perhaps I will criticize them for being poorly researched or baseless, mind you, but never because they're different.

As for my friends and peers....I can't judge. They're probably in the middle like I am as well. Not many can occupy the extremes with ease especially in modern times like ours.

Cebalrai

Your Burmy Buddy!
    Years
    In many instances... Yes! I am. I am stubborn with clothes. I'm only attracted to individuals with rather specific characteristics. I will rarely venture outside of my musical realm (none of it is common place though!). The list goes on and on.

2. Are You Open-Minded?
    I'm not black and white, meaning I can't really be defined as either/or (Isn't everybody?). I LOVE trying new foods. And I'm keen on trying "new" things at times.

I'm boggled when people have such musically diverse playlists! How do they do it? Wait, that's not what this question was about.

Not particularly. Although I would probably lose my patience if someone refused to try the things I like. At the same time I hate it when push the things they like on me... Hypocritical!

Eh, at times I guess.

I covered the other questions earlier. :[

Back