• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • Yeah.. I've noticed a LOT of swearing and censor bypassing lately especially in the time since I've been more active on here. A lot in chatty-areas, or areas where postcount doesn't matter as much, and also a LOT in the blogs.

I was wondering if mods just stopped caring about this, or if you guys just want to be more lenient.. but I feel like if the forum is really stressing that it be G-rated... then it really should be enforced. If it's not a big deal, then why is there censors in the first place?

What I'm trying to say is.. perhaps it can be enforced a little harsher.. Warnings actually being given.. or maybe one of those "Reminder" announcement things at the top every once in a while stating that it's against the rules and people should report any that they see.

I don't see swearing as sacrilegious or anything.. but I just find it kinda.. disrespectful to the mods and the rules if people feel like they can say whatever they want and not regard the rules.

Any other suggestions on enforcing it a bit more? Can mods maybe actually give warnings about it? What does everyone here think about this?

Edit: and pardon my sentence structure in this post... it's late and I'm tired ;_;

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • As long as they aren't using the language like "F THIS GAME THOSE F'ERS AT F'ING NINTENDO SUCK" or swearing at another member, I usually ignore it. I think that's the general policy as well.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • So it's okay to come into a thread randomly and say "My life is *beep*-ed up" or something along those lines?

Or something like "I *beep*'n stubbed my toe the other day?"

Or something like "Oh man those Canadians are a bunch of *beep*s"

:/ Is that really okay to do nowadays? Not even given a verbal warning or a PM telling them to watch their conduct?

:/ Man I can see this becoming an emblem soon.. person with the biggest pottymouth.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Just another note...we've never aimed for a G rating. A lot of Disney/children's movies don't even get G anymore, so G is stretching it a lot. We've always aimed to keep PC within a PG-13 rating, so occasional swearing is tolerated to a certain point. Of course there are some words that are off-limits, swearing to insult another member is not allowed, and if every other word is a swear that's going overboard, but for the most part we're pretty lenient when it comes to it.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • It all depends on the context and person's history. If I notice they're swearing a lot, I'll send them a VM asking them to cool off a bit on the swearing. If it's just an occasional thing, I really don't see it as that big of a deal.

Years
  • Errr.
    I don't see what you're saying here. The censor system here filters out swear words so they are replaced with asterisks, like many forums do. You're saying we should warn/infract on top of that when stuff isn't even there?
    For something as petty as swearing? D:

I don't really see how it's harming anyone if it's censored. That's what the censor is there for XD;
    Now if people were bypassing the filter, I'd see reason to be annoyed, but what hurt is an asterisk or two? :p

/twocents

.Bullet

My Valentine
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    Damn.

With me, as long as it's not the F word or S--t (Excuse censor bypass, but some might not know if I just said "S word"), I don't really mind, since Hell and Damn have their origins from the Bible and deal with the Christian religion.

Of course, that's just me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I don't really like swearing in general. I think it is rude and very disrespectful. But I have to jsut suck it up and deal with it. That's life. And I sometimes swear only if I am furious. But that's proably the only time I have sworn. Other than the occasional S--t or Ar-e I hate.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I hate swearing but I'm gonna say the same as Curious. I avoid using bad language of any kind really, the only thing i think i said was the b word a few times and a couple of others but i think it's pretty disrespesctfull especially because there are members on here as young as 10 or younger that can pick up from the foul abussive language, use it thinking it's alright but get in to trouble because of what they picked up. but really I can see what your view is on this case.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • As long as all the naughty words are censored by asterisks, I don't see the problem. XD

I'm no saying that people like me that curse quite often IRL should use the same vocabulary here, but it's alright to use the words to express emotional extremes. XD

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • This explains why I've been seeing more swears and no action on censor bypass even when I report it. I'll keep the new policy in mind from now on when reading posts so I won't be reporting something the staff has already has deemed to be inside the rules.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Plus, if we really were aiming to be a G-rated community, do you really think there would be discussions about sexuality and such?

Yoruichi

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2010
    I have also noticed alot of trolls along with swearing. The moderators don't do anything about them. So I guess it's okay to troll a pokemon forum.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    The Mods actually enforce these rules, and give warnings (I have seen it. O.o)
    So it's not like they just ignore it and let people get away with whatever the heck they want. And of you feel posts are offensive, just report em. I doubt the mods go around lurking in every thread searching for the slightest rule bypass by stalking convos. XD

Also, I post in the community almost everyday, and I never really find somebody I want to report because of word abuse. I think some of you are just a little more....offended than others. =)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I really don't care, to be honest. As long as a person doesn't go dropping F-bombs on me or another person like mad, I'm pretty chill with it. I tend to curse A LOT IRL, but on PC, I hardly do.

And Erick/twocents pointed out the asterisks substitution, so they mainly are censored. So, yeah, I really couldn't give a damn about curses.

So, in the end, your idea/suggestion really wouldn't cut it there, would it?

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I honestly do not care about people that cuss.
    As long as they use it in a mature manner (which is practilly impossible), it is fine with me.
    If someone is like "Go F your shiny caterpie and GTFO of my thread!!!!111!11one!"
    That deserves to be reported.
    But when it is like "Fs orgins means For Uncarnal Knowledge"
    That is alright in my opinion. But who would say it that way right?

Back