The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
snoopi888
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
^ And don't forget, the rival actually CARES for his pokes! He doesn't treat them as slaves, like the usual rival.

Snap, new page. Now my beautiful arrow won't make any sense.

I have nothing to say, ignore me.
Hurp hurp!

Last edited by snoopi888; August 16th, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to ~JV~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher DS View Post
I've just earned my second badge in your current demo. Not sure how relevant any commentary will be since you're releasing version 2.0, but here are my thoughts:

Highlights
-actual backgrounds in Pokemon battles (as opposed to a white vacuum or smears of colour)
-the tongue in cheek humor throughout the game: I love the self-degrading town signs, and all the kids who have given up on training Pokemon in order to play the video game adaptations of the sport. Haha, I'm glad you are liking that, Zephyr had the idea for most of them, and expect to see a lot more in the next demo!
-the dual-type starters. The extra element really gives them a lot more personality.
-the new rival scenario. A game where you start with the stronger Pokemon? Now there's something refreshing! I do see how the dual-type natures may help Theo to surpass you as his Pokemon rises in level. It should keep you on your toes. As Snoopi said, he also has an unique personality. We worked really hard on Theo =).

I'm not so keen on
-the diamond-shaped menu system. It's very odd and unintuitive to navigate (I instinctively want to use the left/right arrows to move around, as opposed to up/down). It's also very, very sluggish. Haha, many people complained about it. That custom menu was actually just a way I could prove my eventing skills on rmxp back there. Our new menu is pretty simple and really intuitive.
-"vendor trash" fakemon. Owten and Chyinmunk strike me as the Uranium version of Ratatta or Bidoof - normal type Pokemon you pick up at the start of the game to fill your team roster, and abandon as soon as stronger and more interesting elemental types appear. But maybe I'm just bringing in some bad assumptions - as the game designer, how do you envision 'mons like Owten being used in battle? What special abilities do they bring to the mix, and what niche would they fill on a team?
Well, Chyinmunk is pretty bad but it's evo Kinetmunk can be very useful early on the game, since it has quick attack and thunder shock. Owten is the only flying pokémon yoyu can catch till after the second gym, and it's REALLY useful against Terlard.

Most importantly
Thank you for finally breaking the the "Monotype Gym Leader" mold! I think that by now everyone has mastered the type advantages of Pokemon, making it far too easy to stack a team of surfers for a fire-type gym, or to earthquake your way through an electric gym. When each of your opponent's 'mons present a different type challenge, you really have your work cut out for you.

I'd be very interested to face these polytype gym leaders in 2-vs-2 matches, especially if they train Pokemon that guard each others' type weaknesses. (grass & rock; psychic & fighting, etc.) Don't worry because there will be 2-vs-2 gym battles! I always thought Gyms were a bit tad too easy on the official games, so that + higher levels to their pokémon made the them way more challenging. I bet everyone had a hard time against Davern haha.
I really like this kind of post =). Bold commented!
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
koby1
The M4's Best Freind

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher DS View Post
I've just earned my second badge in your current demo. Not sure how relevant any commentary will be since you're releasing version 2.0, but here are my thoughts:

Highlights
-actual backgrounds in Pokemon battles (as opposed to a white vacuum or smears of colour)
-the tongue in cheek humor throughout the game: I love the self-degrading town signs, and all the kids who have given up on training Pokemon in order to play the video game adaptations of the sport.
-the dual-type starters. The extra element really gives them a lot more personality.
-the new rival scenario. A game where you start with the stronger Pokemon? Now there's something refreshing! I do see how the dual-type natures may help Theo to surpass you as his Pokemon rises in level. It should keep you on your toes.

I'm not so keen on
-the diamond-shaped menu system. It's very odd and unintuitive to navigate (I instinctively want to use the left/right arrows to move around, as opposed to up/down). It's also very, very sluggish.
I didnt like the daimond menu either it confused me.

-"vendor trash" fakemon. Owten and Chyinmunk strike me as the Uranium version of Ratatta or Bidoof - normal type Pokemon you pick up at the start of the game to fill your team roster, and abandon as soon as stronger and more interesting elemental types appear. But maybe I'm just bringing in some bad assumptions - as the game designer, how do you envision 'mons like Owten being used in battle? What special abilities do they bring to the mix, and what niche would they fill on a team?

Most importantly
Thank you for finally breaking the the "Monotype Gym Leader" mold! I think that by now everyone has mastered the type advantages of Pokemon, making it far too easy to stack a team of surfers for a fire-type gym, or to earthquake your way through an electric gym. When each of your opponent's 'mons present a different type challenge, you really have your work cut out for you.

I'd be very interested to face these polytype gym leaders in 2-vs-2 matches, especially if they train Pokemon that guard each others' type weaknesses. (grass & rock; psychic & fighting, etc.)
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Poison Master
Poison'd You.

Kinda beat ALMOST the whole first demo, but worse comes to worse, i'll wait for the newly updated one.

I also love the new Cave Graphics, for the light. 100 Times better, than the original Pokemon. ( most recent one i've played is FireRed ), so Yeah.. Enless they added that too.

Any way, Peeaace.

Also contact me if I get rejected for Beta Tester as well..

- Ryan
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Cypher DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JV~ View Post
Don't worry because there will be 2-vs-2 gym battles! I always thought Gyms were a bit tad too easy on the official games, so that + higher levels to their pokémon made the them way more challenging. I bet everyone had a hard time against Davern haha.
Let's put it this way - remember that scene from the first Austin Powers movie when the nameless henchman is frozen stiff and screaming as he's about to be squished by the steamroller? That's pretty much what I felt like when Davern pulled out Tofurang, the massive, flying hippopotamus.

NOOOO!

Old August 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
I don't know why but I don't hate Tofurang...quite odd.
FLYING PLEASE!!!
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Cypher DS

Well, you know what they say in the Church of Arceus - "Hate not the pokemon, hate the pokemon trainer".

Old August 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

^You were the one who doesn't like tofurang, not me!
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Cypher DS

Haha. It's a challenging foe to overcome, but I wouldn't say I hate the bugger. Weird looking, but I wouldn't mind trying it out on a team.

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
snoopi888
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
^I love how your convo kind of suddenly silenced the thread. Or maybe it's just me?
I don't mean anything bad by saying that, I thought it was funny.
Just sayin'.

I have nothing to say, ignore me.
Hurp hurp!

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Fr0ZeN-LIgeR
recovering facebook addict

Nature: Adamant
is it just me or isnt there that many ice or dark types in this?? :/

i may be wrong and JV has them up his sleeve but from what ive seen there hasnt been that many

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:29 AM
AceDragonite
Champion

^well the Baashaun and Tancoon lines are dark and JV hasn't even shown 1/4 of the Pokedex yet....
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:17 AM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0ZeN-LIgeR View Post
is it just me or isnt there that many ice or dark types in this?? :/

i may be wrong and JV has them up his sleeve but from what ive seen there hasnt been that many
Actually, there are plenty dark types, sometimes I even feel there are too many. But you're correct about ice ones, there is only one so far (which I haven't shown)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDragonite View Post
^well the Baashaun and Tancoon lines are dark and JV hasn't even shown 1/4 of the Pokedex yet....
Exactly =)

Well guys, maybe I'll show one more fakemon later today.
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM
AceDragonite
Champion

^JV, maybe you could give us a snippet of plot with the fakemon, I mean what we've seen for the story is minimal.

Oh and btw....

MOAR MOAR MOAR FIGHTING FIGHTING FIGHTING!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:15 AM
phantominoid
The Darkness Addict

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to phantominoid Send a message via Skype™ to phantominoid
gonna play the demo now, cuz its pretty much epic.

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Well, sorry for not updating for so long, but I bring some cool news to you guys. Firstly I bring screens of the revamped Trainer Card and the totally new Badge Case:

Also, here is the list of the people that were already chosen to play the closed beta:

- Poison Master
- PokemonOI
- AceDragonite
- Koby1

Those lucky guys will receive the PM containing instructions and the beta download link sometime soon =). If you have any questions or something to say, post here. Also, I'm posting a fakemon later!
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Quote:
Well, sorry for not updating for so long, but I bring some cool news to you guys. Firstly I bring screens of the revamped Trainer Card and the totally new Badge Case:

Also, here is the list of the people that were already chosen to play the closed beta:

- Poison Master
- PokemonOI
- AceDragonite
- Koby1

Those lucky guys will receive the PM containing instructions and the beta download link sometime soon =). If you have any questions or something to say, post here. Also, I'm posting a fakemon later!

I am honored to test the beta and I swear I will not distribute it in any way and will try my best to find any errors, even if I have to spend an hour in Moki Town, so this game can be more enjoyable to its players. I like the badge style you are doing btw.
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Just posting to announce that I just sent the PM containing the information and download link to the testers! I hope they do a good job =).
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Riceeman
Spriter Guy

Nature: Lonely
Awesome! Must say JV, that I've kinda gone off Pokémon for a while, but I'm still eagerly awaiting this demo. Hope the demo testing goes smoothly. :D
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM
AceDragonite
Champion

^haha I'm enjoying every moment right now, Riceeman. When all the bugs are fully fixed you'll have quite the gaming experience!
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
koby1
The M4's Best Freind

I totally agree with Ace... Here is the bug list i have so far...

`NOTE* EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE`

MY RATING 9.35/10

AND NOBODY HAS A BUG LIST SO HERE'S MINE

I Also took screens of bugs but idk if Jv would want me to post them.

Koby1's Error/Bug list:

~Note* I am only up to defeating theo for the first time~

Spoiler:

!~NOT IN ORDER~!
########################
1.) Resolution error (name/help).

MY FEEDBACK
General:
In general I find the game most impressive. It incorporates the use of a tropical climate/feel that not only adds diversity from other fan games but adds a more of a fantasy effect. The tiles all fit together in a well organized way. The mapping is pretty good and not cluttered with unnecessarily things. (|'Not a tile out of place.'|)

Positive:
The positive things about this game is that the battle system has more of a texture and detailed background system. Another thing that also caught me is that the simplicity of the Poke Pod unlike other fan games (not mentioning any) the Poke Pod is a user friendly system that will make using the map and all other features as easy as pie. The new menu is way faster than the old octamenu that was featured in the Beta 1. The new hg/ss style tileset helps brighten the concept of a developing/laid back theme of Tandor(MY IDEA OF TANDOR). The Fakemon also play a factor in the game , it makes the player want to find out and try to see what that pokemon has to offer his/her team, where as to the remakes i.e Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Hg/S, and Pokemon Platinum where you already have a good knowledge on the pokemon nintendo has created. The new PokeDex and Bag screen layout are better than the old ones from nintendo. Most of the GFX are pretty much "Up to date". PokeCenter and PokeMarts are re designed!
THE MUSIC IS FANTASTIC BETTER THAN ANY OTHER POKEMON MUSIC IVE EVER HEARD!
There are many more things i have yet to see in Uranium

Negative: Some of the negative features in this game is the lack of trainer battles... I find that due to the fact that many fan games have a lack of trainer battles people must spend extra time on trying to find wild battles. Another negative is that some people may find "New Pokemon Intimidating" I know that may sound hypocritical but it might play a role on if players get frustrated or not. The lack of a player/enemy base makes the PBS a little weird. OVERPRICED STUFF!!!!! Potions used to be like $200 now its higher.... :'( (Not really a negative but I spent alot on potions and I had no idea till after I actually paid attention to the prices.. I was too late I already saved:'() SOME OVER WORLD'S Are smaller than the player.....

~ Koby's Report!

MY TEAM:

ELECTUX Lv 15 Male
CHYINMUNK Lv 13 Female

Old September 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by koby1 View Post
I totally agree with Ace... Here is the bug list i have so far...

`NOTE* EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE`

MY RATING 9.35/10

AND NOBODY HAS A BUG LIST SO HERE'S MINE

I Also took screens of bugs but idk if Jv would want me to post them.

Koby1's Error/Bug list:

~Note* I am only up to defeating theo for the first time~

Spoiler:

!~NOT IN ORDER~!
########################
1.) Resolution error (name/help).

MY FEEDBACK

General:

In general I find the game most impressive. It incorporates the use of a tropical climate/feel that not only adds diversity from other fan games but adds a more of a fantasy effect. The tiles all fit together in a well organized way. The mapping is pretty good and not cluttered with unnecessarily things. (|'Not a tile out of place.'|)

Positive: The positive things about this game is that the battle system has more of a texture and detailed background system. Another thing that also caught me is that the simplicity of the Poke Pod unlike other fan games (not mentioning any) the Poke Pod is a user friendly system that will make using the map and all other features as easy as pie. The new menu is way faster than the old octamenu that was featured in the Beta 1. The new hg/ss style tileset helps brighten the concept of a developing/laid back theme of Tandor(MY IDEA OF TANDOR). The Fakemon also play a factor in the game , it makes the player want to find out and try to see what that pokemon has to offer his/her team, where as to the remakes i.e Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Hg/S, and Pokemon Platinum where you already have a good knowledge on the pokemon nintendo has created. The new PokeDex and Bag screen layout are better than the old ones from nintendo. Most of the GFX are pretty much "Up to date". PokeCenter and PokeMarts are re designed!

THE MUSIC IS FANTASTIC BETTER THAN ANY OTHER POKEMON MUSIC IVE EVER HEARD!

There are many more things i have yet to see in Uranium

Negative: Some of the negative features in this game is the lack of trainer battles... I find that due to the fact that many fan games have a lack of trainer battles people must spend extra time on trying to find wild battles. Another negative is that some people may find "New Pokemon Intimidating" I know that may sound hypocritical but it might play a role on if players get frustrated or not. The lack of a player/enemy base makes the PBS a little weird. OVERPRICED STUFF!!!!! Potions used to be like $200 now its higher.... :'( (Not really a negative but I spent alot on potions and I had no idea till after I actually paid attention to the prices.. I was too late I already saved:'() SOME OVER WORLD'S Are smaller than the player.....

~ Koby's Report!

MY TEAM:

ELECTUX Lv 15 Male

CHYINMUNK Lv 13 Female

Anyhow my list of errors is pretty big, though most of them are gramatical/tile errors. The scripting is really good and the menu is <3.
And the sprite difference is because he used RSE OWs and DPP OWs (RSE's are smaller). I got Eletux too!
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

@Koby1: I'm really happy that I chose you to test the game! That is EXACTLY what I wanted for it. A detailed, but easy to read and well organisated list of bugs and general comments of the game. I hope you're having fun while doing that =). What you have played is about 25% of the demo! There is much more to be played =p. As soon as possible I'll reply and explain all the bugs and correct them as well. I hope the other testers do what you did as well.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
AceDragonite
Champion

Quote:
@Koby1: I'm really happy that I chose you to test the game! That is EXACTLY what I wanted for it. A detailed, but easy to read and well organisated list of bugs and general comments of the game. I hope you're having fun while doing that =). What you have played is about 25% of the demo! There is much more to be played =p. As soon as possible I'll reply and explain all the bugs and correct them as well. I hope the other testers do what you did as well.
I am doing it in a screenshot LP to provide visuals, and who doesn't love LP's :D
Here's a little spoiler of the whole review. I've actually played up to Rochfale, but I'll finish putting the LP together later.
Spoiler:

I'm sorry if the text is too small to read. MS Paint did that

Enlarged the Pixel error but I have to go to bed now, SCHOOL STARTS TOMORROW!
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
koby1
The M4's Best Freind

Quote:
I am having so much fun with the beta. Its an honor to be a beta tester for Pokemon Uranium. 25% wow I should have a lot to look forward too, and im eagar to see whats past comet cave from demo 1.

@Ace Dragonite

I Love LP's but I wasn't sure if Jv would allow us to post some screenshot's that weren't errors. Also Electux is the best of the best combines 2 of my 3 favorite types water and electric. My third favorite is flying.. anywho good luck with the LP Ace...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here