• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modnation Racers

Years
  • Modnation Racers

Anyone got this?

My copy arrived on Saturday and so far its quite fun, the track design is a little fiddly but it's looking to be an enjoyable game. The racing is actually better than Mario Kart (or at least the Wii version) in my opinion, all the reviews I've seen have complained about the controls but I found them to be fine. Weapons are quite fun and actually add strategy, the fact they upgrade makes you think in a risk/reward way.

If you own it feel free to ad me on PSN and we can race (assuming my wireless doesn't act up), failing that we can swap creations and stuffs. :3

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Hey, I felt the same way about the game, but now I just can't wait to get rid of it. I'll explain why.

First off, I found this game by being an avid LBP player/frequenting LBP's community stuff. I thought "No way, create game based on racing? Mario Kart will be dead!" That's how it was for me when I first got my hands on it 5 days ago. :/

Career
    The first tour in the career was easy (lulz understandable since it was mostly tutorial). So I flew right through all of those getting all tokens/challenges in my first try on the course, or a second try after learning the course. The second definitely kicked it up a notch with all those "boss" mods that you have to face on the courses. I thought it was interesting how the whole grudge match thing played out too. ;D Fun...I thought.

Next came the Grim Tour (3rd I believe) and I was having fun in the first two races, albeit the difficulty definitely kicked up even higher. Modobahn...oh man. I hated that challenge of hitting one person with the devestator. What a bunch of BS. First off, the opponents don't even go under them, and second, you have to come in first after waiting back for most of the AI to catch up. I eventually got it after I'd say 70+ tries on the course. :| Challenging? No. Luck Based? Yes.

Now I'm at the one challenge of sideswiping the Luchador boss (Dolor) while in a small little village area on the track. Sounds easy. Right. The only problem, Dolor tends to stay back in 10th-12th place the whole race, and so likewise, you have to hold back too just to hit him. Once you do hit him, he becomes godly at racing and TELEPORTS (yes, he teleported twice for me without Warp) into 2nd-1st place causing you to have to play catchup for the whole race. :| I managed to almost come in first, only to be nailed with four level 3 weapons on that last turn to the finish...

The career challenges and AI boss characters are rigged I say. Causes too much frustration for what it's worth and is causing me to strongly consider returning the game (also Nato's bomb challenge is BS too).

Create
    Now this is alright I guess. I just feel however that I'll make 5 pretty good or awesome tracks, and no one will look at them. So in a sense, I just wasted time. :/ Besides, the controls for the create are pretty clunky and annoy me sometimes. :P

[/end super rant] Had to get that out. Frustration >> Fun in this game.

Years
  • I've started having the same problems, the first part of the career was fun and was quite forgiving, then it becomes akin to banging your head on a brick wall.

Funny you should say it actually, I just did the Dolor challenge today, it's beyond stupid. Must have took me at least 20 restarts just get actually hit him, luckily I got first straight away cause I knew the track well after hot lapping it a while back. The Modobahn is horrible too, that must have took me 30-40 retries and just got it ouchof purcahse when i had a crowd of 6 all in front of me.

I love the game as a concept but the latter half of the career is just torture and takes all the fun out of it.

I intend on keeping it for the create aspect but I need to unlock stuff first which is where the problems lie. Once I've beat career mode I doubt I'll ever race the AI again, ever. It's so rigged, especially with their psychic shielding skills. :/

Back