• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(?) Ikue Ootani; 8/1965 - 7/2010 (Pikachu's VA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I didn't know where else to put this, anything related to the Seiyuu for this anime would seem to go here, so.. xD;

There are a loooot of rumors going around that Pikachu's voice actress Ikue Ootani passed away earlier today. A lot of you guys around this section are huge fans of this series, so am I the only one of whose heard of this, and it's false? The date of death started showing up on Wiki pages, and other sites, but I'm still skeptical.

Has this been totally confirmed anywhere, and I'm missing it?

Wikipedia says : Ikue Ōtani (大谷 育江, Ōtani Ikue?) (August 18, 1965 - July 12, 2010)

I think it would be huge news on a number of sites, if it were true though.
Kinda freakin' out. D;

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
OK, right now it's just Wikipedia. There are 3 possible outcomes:

Spoiler:

Because the Japanese don't cover up anything. (Or so I hear, anyways) Absolutely no site that I know of has this confirmed.

Edit: Taken care of~

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
It was on her IMDB profile earlier too, so I started like mad searchin' Google.

People on myspace were flippin' out before.. idk.

It's not like random deaths don't happen, but Ikue? What are the chances. D;

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
It's really not that likely. The internet is just that.

Another possibility is that the company is trying to cover a suicide. And for Pikachu they simply reuse voice clips. Anyone with some professional audio software could probably prove or disprove that for any incoming episodes.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Even if it's attempted to be covered up, I figure word'll get out eventually if it IS true.

I dunno, I hope it's just some troll.

If it is one, enough people are freaking out, I guess they've succeeded.

I'm just glad no one's replied to this yet with "Yeeep, it's true. D8".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back