Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Reload this Page Worst fakedex

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Old April 10th, 2011 (10:14 AM). Edited September 22nd, 2011 by Equinoxe.
pleeease listen to meee

Nature: Naughty
I'm trying to sprite a whole dexful of fakes, revamping some designs me and my older sister made sometime before gen 4 came out, I think. I'm not that good with making these exactly pokemon style, so I'm mostly concentrating on making the whole bunch of them harmonious in terms of shading and such.
I'm not that great a spriter and there are several things that give me trouble, such as shading (how do I make shadows ugh). :B

I've previously done spriting for fangames but not anymore because they tend to give me massive motivational issues. These aren't for any game, nor do I have a deadline, so they're much more fun to do.

I apologize for the watermarks; I'm kind of paranoid and overly protective of my work (especially on bigger forums such as this one).
As you might've guessed, you may not use these for any hacks or fangames, and I'd be really happy if you didn't steal the designs or ideas either (not that anyone would want, but... you know).

(sprites marked as m or f are merely gender differences, not separate pokemon)

This is all I've finished so far, I'll add more to this post as I make them. Feel free to criticize if you see something really wrong with these, and I may or may not edit them depending on what you're suggesting :D

Old April 10th, 2011 (10:20 AM).
HONK HONK

Nature: Jolly
Question:

Why are you making all of the starters become Dragon types? T_T

Other than that, it looks fairly good.

Old April 10th, 2011 (10:32 AM).
Thanks Mulczhar for Avatar:D

Nature: Hasty
I really like most of these but, you should try to change the pals of the grass starter because it look like a fire Pokemon, change the fire starter just the first one completely because is does not look remotely close to the evolutions it has.
What i do like is The last stagiest of the starters they are very good and well made:D

Hope you keep up the great work:D
Old April 10th, 2011 (10:38 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

The dragon type is there to balance out the fire>grass>water triangle P:

The typings are mostly set in stone because they have all kinds of other reasonings behind them too (water starter is partially based off the chinese dragon, for example, which explains the pearl too). And there's also the fact that these will never be in a playable game, haha :D

Thanks C:

@ lalo0101: "change the pals"? Not sure if you mean the coloration of Aromild or something else, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna change that (sorry!). The flower should make it painfully obvious that it's a grass type, plus I don't think grass=green should always be the case.
Also, I'm not sure if I want to change Oisera either, it's a hawk anyway like its evolutions, just quadruped. Maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I can see it evolving into its evolutions (it has sun-horns, last stage has horns and is yellow like the first).

(oh man I'm sounding so defensive right now, sorry about that)

Old April 10th, 2011 (10:39 AM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I would say that the water starter needs more dynamic posing. Right now, it's just...standing there. I like the grass except for the first coloring, because it doesn't match at all with the rest. maybe make the flower on its back green to balance it more?

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old April 10th, 2011 (10:44 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

I know, I'm pretty bad with poses :U I'll see if I can do something about it later (though as my defense, most B/W sprites have pretty neutral poses, but then again they're animated, ugh).

For the grass starter, I can't change it because it's based on cloudberries and that's the colour of the flower in real life. Changing it would take away the idea behind it :C

Old April 10th, 2011 (10:49 AM). Edited April 10th, 2011 by lalo0101.
Thanks Mulczhar for Avatar:D

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Equinoxe:
@ lalo0101: "change the pals"? Not sure if you mean the coloration of Aromild or something else, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna change that (sorry!). The flower should make it painfully obvious that it's a grass type, plus I don't think grass=green should always be the case.
Also, I'm not sure if I want to change Oisera either, it's a hawk anyway like its evolutions, just quadruped. Maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I can see it evolving into its evolutions (it has sun-horns, last stage has horns and is yellow like the first).

(oh man I'm sounding so defensive right now, sorry about that)
Pals are the colors, i knew it was grass since its label but the colors you gave it kinda make it look kinda like a fire Pokemon, and i'm staring to see the fire starter now:D
But not at all

Edit
Never mind i just read what you wrote about Aromild but you should then try to follow through with the design and make nectrons(hope that the name) a little bit more of fall color

sorry for sounding kinda pushy:/
Old April 10th, 2011 (01:16 PM).
◔_____◔
Gold Tier

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to beca
Omg, that first one <3
Far better than most Pokemon around =] good job!

HG Friend Code - 2838 0040 0210
Black Friend Code - 1120 0113 3618
X Friend Code - 0920 0825 2286

◔____◔
Old April 10th, 2011 (06:57 PM).
no, i don't know milk drink

Send a message via AIM to Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Samson
your shading and coloring is amazing. great palette selection.

i know you said you use your sister's concepts, but do you do any concept sketching? if not, i highly suggest it!

[FONT="Calibri"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="gray"]FC: 3497 0883 2077
[/URL]
Old April 11th, 2011 (07:40 AM). Edited April 14th, 2011 by Equinoxe.
pleeease listen to meee

@ lalo0101: You're not being too pushy, I see what you mean :P

@ beca: Thanks C:

@ Samson: These are all collaborations, plus there are going to be ones that are completely designed by me. It's hard to say which ones are mostly hers and which are mostly mine because we've thought these particular ones up together.
In addition, I have made designs all by myself for some fangames before.

Added a new line to the first post, and might as well put it here too:

Obligatory first-route mammal thing, although not as weak as the usual ones.
I have no idea what I was doing with the shading here so it might be a bit weird.

Old April 13th, 2011 (03:27 AM).

Quote originally posted by beca:
Omg, that first one <3
Far better than most Pokemon around =] good job!
Talking about the very first Grass one? I have to agree! xD
That is one of the coolest pokemon I've seen.

But I honestly really like your pokemon , Too bad they won't be used for anything. I think it would be cool to see a pokemon game full of these types of creatures !
Old April 13th, 2011 (04:48 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

Thank you :D
Of course, it would be amazing to have my own creations playable, but the amount of work that a proper game/hack needs is just way too much. I'm a realist (and kind of pessimistic sometimes) so I'm not going to kill my motivation by attempting such a large-scale project.

Also, I want to say this (not directed at anyone in this thread): I will not join your hack/fangame/project no matter how nice it is or how much you need me, so no point in PMing me. I've already received three PMs from people I don't know asking me to join their projects, so apparently my subtle hint in the first post wasn't enough to ward these people off :I

On another note, here's the early route normal/flying line!

burds

Old April 13th, 2011 (11:30 AM).
Don't Make A Pigeon Angry

I really like them, but they seem more like Grass Types, or at least the second one does/

Supporter of:

Old April 13th, 2011 (11:50 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

Ah, yeah, the tailfeathers kinda ended up looking leafy, but I'm not sure what to do with them since I would love to keep that green colour :U I'll probably look into it later.

Now, here's a three-stage grass line, mirroring Seedot and the like (trufax: my sister made the concepts of the first and last stage before gen three, and Ocuseed was originally called Seedet).

Old April 13th, 2011 (12:23 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

I really like those new ones, especially the names. They flow together really well and I can see the logical progression from one to the next.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old April 14th, 2011 (07:44 AM).
Fly little Mockingjay!

WOW these are amasing! could you make a tutorial? it would reallyy help <3
Old April 14th, 2011 (08:27 AM).
Boss Carrot

I like your burds, but are you sure you want to go with that color scheme? Most people associate brown and green with grass-types. That aside, I love your designs! They all feel very different; Bountail, Flocular and Drusol seem Chinese, Japanese and north-African, respectively. Tangaroma and Woofresh are just... Well, you don't often see things like that, they're kind of alien.

They're all very close to B/W's style as well, with clean lines, even shading, minimal dithering (actually, I can't find any in your sprites), and almost no palette conservation. Some of the designs, like Ruffickle and Nectang, aren't very interesting to look at though. Bountail suffers from it a bit as well, with that largely featureless mane.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old April 14th, 2011 (08:32 AM). Edited April 14th, 2011 by Equinoxe.
pleeease listen to meee

Thank you all C:

@ Humm96: I'm not sure I could make a helpful tutorial O: I just kind of do things my way and I'm genuinely bad at explaining things. I could, however, take simple progress shots of a sprite the next time I do a new one, maybe that would help at least a bit?

@ Chesu: You have some good points (ones I have thought about myself!). I'm pretty sure I'll consult my sister this weekend and try to find a more working colour scheme for Rashop/Exbinar.
Bountail's mane bothers me too, I'm just not sure how to fix it (I tried adding a white stripe but it looked awful). Ruffickle and Nectang, on the other hand, can stay boring because middle stages are often a bit iffy (plus I can't think of anything to spice them up either, haha).
But thanks for the insightful comment! I like receiving feedback like this.

Today was a good day so I finished two lines!

First is one of my favourites design- idea- and namewise (all credit, except for the sprites, goes to my genius older sister)!
I think the sprites, especially Judom's, came out pretty good this time O:

(here's a little c/p from somewhere else, explaining the typing)
Now before you go WHY ISNT IT A GRASS TYPE, here's some dex info for you:
Karoto's body is mostly composed of chalk so it would collapse if it wasn't for the flower that it plants on its head. The roots of the flower keep its body together and allow it to move around without crumbling. The flower itself doesn't give the pokemon any special powers, it's merely a skeleton of sorts.
When it evolves, the roots have grown so so strong they allow the newly-evolved Judom to perform all kinds of kicks and punches. Judom is very flexible and bouncy because of the roots supporting it.

And the second one (why we have two eye-based part-psychic lines I do not know):

this one was rather challenging to sprite :U

Old April 14th, 2011 (12:44 PM).
Fly little Mockingjay!

Yeah screenshots would be better, then i can see what to do
Old April 14th, 2011 (01:46 PM).
Boss Carrot

Regarding Karoto... Well, that explanation doesn't really work. I'll accept that it gains no special abilities from its plant parts, but that flower still has to be vulnerable, right? Anything that hurts a Grass-type Pokemon should affect it as well...

Updated 11/07/10.
Old April 14th, 2011 (01:46 PM).

Love, love, love the Occuseed line! It's amazing.

Supporter of:

Old April 15th, 2011 (06:37 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

burd line revised, more fabulous?

@ Chesu: shush, that's pretty nitpicky, don't you think? :D Sort of like saying Blaziken should have the weaknesses of flying types because it has bird parts.

Besides, arguing about typings doesn't really help me with my spriting, now does it :U I'd be more delighted to hear something like 'fix that outline' or sth I don't even know

Old April 16th, 2011 (06:14 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

Double post because I have several new sprites (I'm pretty sure that's allowed).

We had a very productive brainstorming session last night with my sister so we redesigned all the legendaries (there are only three).

These are sort of like Kyogre/Groudon for this dex, 'Rayquaza' coming next.

Here's the promised step-by-step image of Cometrice's Active Forme:

(the sprite is a bit unusual, I don't usually have large full-black areas in them at any point)

I hope you like these as much as I do, they came out better than I expected!

Old April 16th, 2011 (06:24 AM).

Those are really cool! Based on Comet and Meteors, I presume? That kinda sucks, I was planning on using that in a fangame I was making Whatever, I can still use them, different name, different design. Great minds think alike, you know?

Anyway, love the new sprites, especially the Bloodaria!

Supporter of:

Old April 16th, 2011 (10:42 AM).
pleeease listen to meee

Yeah, no one's stopping you as long as you don't go blatantly stealing these designs and ideas :B I'm most likely not the first or last person to make meteorite/comet fakes.

Anyway, here's the promised third legendary!

FORMES FORMES FORMES FORMES

(it's supposed to be very alien-looking and eccentric since it's extraterrestrial like the comet/meteor ones)
There's a long story behind these legendaries and how they're connected but I'm not typing it since it's loooong!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links