• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zipang

Years

• The newest, most advanced destroyer in the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, the JDS Mirai, sets sail from Japan on a training exercise with the United States Navy. Enroute, they encounter a strange meteorological anomaly. The Mirai loses contact with her sister ships and finds herself sailing by the unmistakable silhouette of a Imperial Japanese Navy battleship, the Yamato.

The Mirai eludes the Imperial Japanese fleet and, reluctantly, the crew realizes that they have traveled sixty years into their past to the early days of World War II. Their first desire is to return home, and to ensure that they have a home to which to return they decide to do nothing that will change history. That good intention does not last long, however, and gradually they are drawn into the conflict, though they continue to refuse to choose one side over another. The struggle of the crew from a modern, peaceful, and wealthy Japan to resist the nationalistic appeal of defending their country, knowing that in this time it is ruled by a brutal, totalitarian and militaristic government is the central theme of Zipang. Their rescue of a Japanese navy officer from the past, Lt. Commander Kusaka, who would have perished in the normal timeline, causes unstoppable and devastating changes in the past when he seeks to create a stronger Japan no matter what the cost.

Well I've finally got around to watching this series last night. And it really did meet my expectations. Actually the movie that it's been compared to The Final Countdown was what tipped me off this series a few years back.

But I've put off watching or reading this series due to other things cropping up, and instead read the book series Axis of Time which rather than the modern USS Nimitz being sent back, it's a coalition of future 2020's warships from a timeline where the War on Terror rages on is sent back.

So yes, to me this series is quite deep. Thoughts?

Edit: Found a summary of the ending here. I love it.

Last edited:
    Back