• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: ~~Pokemon Lapis Lazuli~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
Years
POKEMON RUBY HACK

POKEMON LAPIS LAZULI​

Intro​
Hey guys, Exo here. First up, I'm not the best hacker ever. This is my first attempt. This hack was made as a gift for my friend, and she liked it a lot, so she's been pressuring me to share it somewhere. I really want to finish this as a side project. (I'm in college, so yeah.) I may not have lots of time, but your guys' feedback/advice would definetly help me finish it. Now, let's get on to the good stuff.

Story​

The pokemon world as you knew it has been ruined by a mysterious disaster that happened 300 years ago, leaving the world in ruins. Hoenn was struck hardest, and is home to warring tribes that only recently united under the banner; The Hoenn Army. Kanto is now dense forest that has overgrown almost every city. East Johto was destroyed by a masive earthquake, leaving only Cianwood City and Olivine intact. Unova has dissovled into civil war. Sinnoh is the only region with high technology and most of its cities left.

Shuyu, however, is a small continent that overlaps some of Hoenn. It was created during the same disaster 300 years ago. Though it is a relatively new region, it has ruins and small towns aplenty to explore. Shuyu has also just rediscovered apriball technology, and hundreds of trainers are cropping up everywhere.

You are a young, 17-year-old who lives in the quiet Herb Village, surrounded by the sinister Soul Forest. One day, you leave to gather herbs and berries for your mother, who is the herbalist in town. You find a mysteriously lost bag full of three pokemon, and your adventure spirals from there.

Shuyu is a land based in the principles of balance between Earth, Water, and Sky. The three pokemon in the bag you can choose are of the Earth, Water, and Sky. There are two Guardians within most majors towns that will accept your challenge in your quest to find balance, and give you marks. No one knows where this obsession with balance came from, but Shuyu is riddled with it.

But Shuyu has a dark secret, and only the soul stone known as the Lapis Lazuli may be able to bring the region back into the light...

Features​

-All Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn capturable.
-New Female OW sprite, with male coming soon.
-Choose a Dratini (Sky), Horsea (Sea), or Trapinch (Earth) starter!
-Increased difficulty. THIS IS POKEMON: HARD MODE. I'm not joking. If you don't like a challenge, you won't like this game. If you're looking for something to blaze through with Ubers, please find some other hack.
-All new items, All Medicines are now Herbs/Food and Pokeballs are old fashioned.
-New TMS include; Curse, Water Spout, Magical Leaf, Revenge, Drill Peck, Shadow Punch, Tail Glow, Dragonbreath, Extremespeed, Eruption, Covet, and Body Slam
-More coming soon!

Screenshots​

Spoiler:

Known Bugs​

Please let me know if you find more, provide a detailed description and a screenshot for proof.

1. Due to some weird tiles, if you play as a guy you'll start out stuck in a fence. I never tested this because I kept playing as a girl. I apologize profusely, and it'll be fixed in the next release. fixed in alpha 0.2 release.
2. You can walk into the grass at the start without a pokemon, but you'll die. This is due to my bad scripting.
3. You can get multiple copies of the pokemon from the starting bag. Please don't do this, as it ruins the difficulty and experience of the game. However, you can if you wish to, but I strongly advise against it. That's not how it was meant to be played.
4. Some tiles may be displaced. This is due to my bad mapping.
5. In Mine 3, talking to the Lapis Lazuli and then trying to talk to people in the mine will freeze your game. Sorry about this...just exit the map and come back in for it to be fixed.
6. Dying before you reach Ruin City will result in a weird glitch - you white out and find yourself in your old Ruby home. When you exit the house, you're back in Soul Forest where you started out at the beginning. Won't break the game, just kinda funny.

Completion Status​

5/25/11: Alpha 0.1 released, up to fourth Guardian available. Six towns and all the routes between for you to explore!~

Upcoming/Wanted Features​

Upcoming:
1. New attacks/abilities on every pokemon.
2. 4 more gyms/Elite Four (Known as 'Sky Guardians').
3. All new OWs for all types of trainers.

Wanted: (If you can help out, that would be awesome!)
1. Someone who can put a few Sinnoh evolutions in.
2. Someone who can make support banners
3. A scripter who knows how to script much better than I do, mostly so we can script the confrontation/events at the end/go through my effed up scripts. >__<;;
4. Someone who can make a title screen awesomely. (The Icon Pokemon of Lapis Lazuli is Metagross.)
5. I wanted to include a spawning resources gathering/reward system. Like, gather four coals get one protein kind of thing.

Credits​

Scripting: Me
Mapping: Me
Spriting: Me

No outside sources used except a few tutorials here and there.

Help/Hints​

Feel free to ask if you're stuck. But here's a few tips for this game just incase;

1. Look EVERYWHERE. Hidden (rare) items are in every single map, even the starting map. This becomes easier once you get the Item Fork, though.
2. If you're stuck on trainer levels and difficulty, train up! This is pokemon! People are tough, and I made Lapis Lazuli to be very tough without proper preparing.
3. Guardians are super tough, even the first two. If you're having trouble, go to new areas and beat trainers there.
4. You can catch the water starter pokemon in Ruin City's well, the second level where you find Wooper. They're very rare.
5. To get the ability to run, talk to the woman at the starting screen who's guarding the graves.
6. Pokecenters are no more. Each town has a Healer's hut. Usually these healers are older women. Talk to them to heal your pokemon. There's a salvaged PC in the corner, too.
7. If you're stuck at low levels before the first gym (or are just getting your butt handed to you by the trainers in Mirage Desert as I have a ton of times, lol) the basement of Moss Cavern is PERFECT for levelling. There are high level Gastly that give lots of EXP. Also, if you can sneak past the Mirage Desert trainers, check out the Old Ruins. Unown at high levels are there.
8. Some rare/useful pokemon in the beginning are;
-Ralts in Soul Forest
-Shroomish in Moss Cavern
-Skarmory in Route 10's sand
-All water-type starters in the City Well (Ruin City)
-All fire-type starters are in the underground spa ruins (Haven City)

Support Banner​

None so far. ;__;

Download​

Pokemon Lapis Lazuli Version alpha 0.1 is below!

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Great storyline, and great tiles.
This is definiately a hack that I'm gonna try.
And a little question. Are you gonna make this hack by yourself, or are you making a team?

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
Years
i'll play this. good story line maps and sprites good luck on finishing it
EDIT:about the scripting trouble you most likly forgot to add a flag r used a flag which is already being used

Last edited:

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
I love the storyline, it sounds very exciting! :) But I found a lot of tile errors in your maps, maybe you should fix them first?

I'm a decent scripter, in case you need one.

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
Years
Olli - Thanks! I was definetly thinking of putting together a team, but I don't want to trouble people eheheh. I'd really just need a scripter and a spriter, because mine seriously, SERIOUSLY suck. Maybe? Thanks again!

aperso - Yeah, Prof. Birch's bag at the beginning messed me up. I tried a billion different flags lawl. None of them seemed to work. Thank you so much for trying this hack!

Alex - Yeah! I've got quite a few tile errors. If people want to take a quick screenie and show me, or just tell me, I'll go in and fix them right away lol.

Oh! You're a scripter?!~ It would be awesome to work together, if you wanna be in a team. :D

--Edit--: I'm replaying it too and noticed the herb shop sign got overwritten by Silk Town's game corner sign lol. Sorry about this guys...I'm really one of the worst hackers ever lol.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Even though I would really like to help you script, I really suck at ruby.
I'm getting too used to scripting in FR, and comming to ruby with a lot of different things just makes it hard.
But I'll give you my full support on this one ;D

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Well, I tried to test this, but I walk out of the truck and into a fence, from where I can't move from. This Ruby rom has worked for every other game I tried, and I'm using VisualBoyAdvance to read the ips, not actually patching it. So. I don't even know.

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
Years
Snakebite - Yikes! I think that's maybe because you chose to play as a guy! Dang! It moves the tiles over. I'll fix it right away. Until then, maybe play as the girl? I'm so sorry!

Even though I would really like to help you script, I really suck at ruby.
I'm getting too used to scripting in FR, and comming to ruby with a lot of different things just makes it hard.
But I'll give you my full support on this one ;D

Hahah, thanks! After this hack I'm doing an FR one based in the ruined Kanto area. (Same universe as this one). So maybe then you can help lol. Thanks so much, and I hope you're enjoying the hack!

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Yeah, I just noticed that was it! The guy is like two tiles too far over, diagonally upper-left from the girl standing there. Playing as the girl now. :P

aperso

Years
Snakebite - Yikes! I think that's maybe because you chose to play as a guy! Dang! It moves the tiles over. I'll fix it right away. Until then, maybe play as the girl? I'm so sorry!

Hahah, thanks! After this hack I'm doing an FR one based in the ruined Kanto area. (Same universe as this one). So maybe then you can help lol. Thanks so much, and I hope you're enjoying the hack!

you like ruining the older regions don't you?

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Here's another one: Dying will take you back to your house, which doesn't exist, and leaving it will warp you to your starting point.

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
Years
aperso - Hahah, no!!! Kanto was my favorite, but I got into Fallout 3 and started to wonder what the pokemon universe would be like post-apocalypse...so yeah. I'm lame hahah.

Snakebite - WHOA. Okay! Thanks so much, that helps a ton. I'll get right on fixing that. This is so great, finding all these mistake I would've never thought of!! Thank you!

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
XD that's what I'm here for.

Here's another: While you've changed Premier Balls to Pearl Balls, the shopkeeper still says 'I'll throw in a PREMIER BALL, too.'

aperso

Years
aperso - Hahah, no!!! Kanto was my favorite, but I got into Fallout 3 and started to wonder what the pokemon universe would be like post-apocalypse...so yeah. I'm lame hahah.
that's good to know. but my favorite will always be sinnoh. by the way you are not lame the storyline mapping and sprites are all good. pokemon rom hacking has a bright future.

aperso

Years
Snakebyte - Alright! That's the only easy fix so far, lol!! Thanks!

aperso - Yeah dude, pokemon hacking is really fun. It helps me relax after busy busy life.

all they do for me is something fun to do and murdering time which is also fun

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
XD have another easy one then. The two rocks to the bottom-left of the doorway that takes you from 'Moss Cavern' to 'Moss Cavern - Exit' can be walked through. :P

Hope you don't mind me rapid-posting these, just doing so as I find them.

Exodus

Psycho with a Doughnut
Years
XD have another easy one then. The two rocks to the bottom-left of the doorway that takes you from 'Moss Cavern' to 'Moss Cavern - Exit' can be walked through. :P

Hope you don't mind me rapid-posting these, just doing so as I find them.

Don't mind at all! This is why I stuck this in progressing hacks! Thank you so much. Every little bit helps.

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Okay, time for more! XD

In the shop in Ruin City, you misspelled 'PLAIN BALLL', and when you move down to TM39 Psywave (which I am guessing it was not originally Psywave), the screen goes all wonky. Not fatally wonky, but... just try it, you'll see what I mean. I'm guessing Psywave wasn't originally the TM there. Also, the description is a bit too long for the box, so maybe that's what's causing it.

Making all the TMs available there, but for way high prices, is a neat idea though.

Also just for some more general feedback, thus far the ideas are really neat, and while it needs some polish, I personally always enjoy the hacks that differ from the typical GO FORTH, GET THING FROM PROFESSOR, GET BADGES IN NEW SHINY MAPS! model. So while this isn't as shiny yet, you've got a lot more worth polishing. :P

EDIT: Also, the guy in the very top right of Ruin City I am pretty sure has the wrong script. He is talking about guardians. I am guessing he is meant to be a sign in front of a gym in another city.

EDIT: ADKJDKASJDASDJASDK STARMIE

EDIT: Above the healer in Ruin City there is a tile that you cannot walk through, and says ! when you press A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back