• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen V - Overdark Dragon

Years
  • Overdark Dragon!

Team Overview

1481592-vsgiovanni.png

560.png
    373.png
    635.png
    612.png
    462.png
    437.png

Welcome to the next evolution of Overdark Dragon. With the banning of Garchomp, I was met with a familiar temptation of taking a leave from the battling atmosphere, as I had done years ago for the same reason. However, unlike generation four, I have new Dragons to utilize and the selection is varied enough for me to overlook this absurd banning this time. I decided I would revisit and old strategy I used to implement back in the day. The concept known as 'Mag n' Drag' which stands for Magnezone and Dragons. For those who do not know, the idea is that since only the steel type resists Dragon type attacks, Magnezone can electrocute those steel types, clearing the path for my dragons to unleash their terrifying onslaught without being walled.

Team Construction

I first started off with Magnezone, as he is guaranteed to be in this team.

462.png

Now I require around 2-3 dragons to take advantage of the vulnerability that Magnezone exposes by removing the enemy steel types. Hydreigon is an obvious choice for me. He's my favourite Pokemon and he is also incredibly good in my opinion.

462.png
    635.png

The concept of Haxorus intrigues me. With steel types removed, he should be able to two-hit knock out pretty much anything. Such power cannot be denied, and so he makes the cut.

462.png
    635.png
    612.png

I opt to use three dragons for this team. For the final dragon, I am looking for one with great speed. Garchomp used to fill that role but now I seek something different. I did contemplate Latios but decided to go with Salamence instead. It's not amazingly fast, but it should get the job done.

462.png
    635.png
    612.png
    373.png

Two spaces remain. I know I require one more Steel type for the team. With three dragons, I am going to need something to take those opposing Outrages and Draco Meteors. The Pokemon should also be able to learn Stealth Rock as I currently do not have that on this team. I settle down to a choice of either Skarmory or Bronzong. In the end I settle for Bronzong, though either one would have sufficed I think.

462.png
    635.png
    612.png
    373.png
    437.png

That leaves one last space for another of my favourite Pokemon who can also take advantage of the lack of steel types around. Scrafty has tremendous potential and when played corrently, can single handedly end games.

462.png
    635.png
    612.png
    373.png
    437.png
    560.png

Team Analysis

1481587-giovannihgss.gif

General Lead

635.png

VAN'DALGYON (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast

I wasn't sure of what my usual lead with for this team should be, so I chose Hydreigon. I considered Bronzong to get those rocks up nice and early but decided to go with a more aggressive opening. Do you remember the power of Specs Mence? For those of you who were around when Specs Mence was popular, I'm sure you can recall how destructive it could be, when played correctly. Specs Dreigon is even more devastating - the power is enough to take down even the most specially defensive Tyranitar with a single Focus Blast - a feet which is actually difficult for a special sweeper to accomplish. I dislike U-Turn so don't even suggest it to me. The move doesn't jive well with my style of play to be honest. I'm pretty happy with how this runs.

Sweepers

373.png

RAGNAROK (Salamence) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Brick Break
    - Roost

This is the Pokemon I am playing around with the most at the moment. I decided to try a mix mence set and it's been doing OK. It makes a good Conkeldurr counter as Draco Meteor is a surefire OHKO. Still, I can't help but think that I could do something better with Salamence to benefit my team even more.

612.png

DAKAMARYU (Haxorus) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Dual Chop
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break

WHEN HAXORUS ENTERS THE BATTLEFIELD, SOMETHING DIES. My revenge killer and what a hell of a revenge killer he is too. Unlike most Scarf Pokemon, Haxorus still boasts an incredible attack score. Any Pokemon that dies from this thing, dies TWICE. They don't even get to enter the afterlife because they fricking die there too, in a matter of mere microseconds after dying in this world. The moveset is pretty standard but I've been contemplating X Scissor over Dual Chop, but Dual Chop has been really useful in testing, for breaking those subs. Plus, I don't think X Scissor is really that needed, but it is a possibility. I was tempted to use Rivalry here for even more potential power, but realized that Mold Breaker is probably better - It lets me use Earthquake with a bit more ease as only flying types will be completely safe from it.

560.png

DRAKOW (Scrafty) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Dragon Dance

The Dragon Dancer. Capable of single handedly sweeping teams, a true threat for those unprepared. I have been contemplating on adding Taunt somewhere in an attempt to block status and get an additional Dragon Dance up. The cost of this is coverage though, and I do love the coverage I have at the moment.

Eliminator

462.png

MAGENATO (Magnezone) @ Leftovers / Air Balloon / Chesto Berry
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
    - Thunderbolt
    - Charge Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Substitute

I used to run Magnet Rise over Flash Cannon to take on Excadrill more effectively as well as making Magnezone even tougher to eliminate. I feel with Airballoon, this move can be swapped out and I wanted to include Flash Cannon as a strong STAB move which can at least hit the Ground types for neutral damage. I am currently experimenting with Leftovers and Charge beam to combat Jirachi better as I would say that Jirachi is the most frequent steel type I am running into nowadays and I wanted to gear my Magnezone specifically to take it on as effectively as possible. Depending on the Steel type that gets trapped, the opportunity to set up a Substitute may be available to me, and this makes revenge killing Magnezone even tougher for the opponent. If I can get a few Charge Beam boosts, Magnezone has the potential to eliminate two of my opponent's Pokemon which is fantastic. Throughout my testing, there have been times when I have gotten off a +6 with Charge Boost and KO'd at least two of my opponent's Pokemon. Hidden Power Fire does tremendous damage against Ferrothorn and massacres Scizor and is staple on Magnezone.

The last line of defence

437.png

MECHAZOR (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock

Decided to go with the Smogon standard moveset here and I haven't looked back since. It's an incredible moveset in my opinion and it makes my wall agressive which I like too. Hidden power ice is incredibly troll and lets Bronzong take on its common switch ins like Gliscor for example. The coverage is good on Bronzong and actually lets me get a few KO's in for the team. Bronzong in my opinion is one of the best walls in this game currently - I used to run him in 4th generation with great success too. Now he's back and I think he's a keeper for me.

Team Threats

530.png
    Excadrill- Bronzong does a good job here. Magnezone can take it on too. Scrafty is also capable of withstanding an Earthquake and doing decent damage with Drain Punch.
    534.png
    Conkeldurr- Salamence resists his stab and can OHKO with Draco Meteor. Need to watch out for Stone Edge though.
    635.png
    Hydreigon- Scrafty can take most of Hydreigon's attacks and counter attack with Drain Punch. Salamence can outspeed it. If I'm feeling risky, I could go in for a Hydreigon mirror match, but this is generally a last resort.
    637.png
    Volcarona- This thing is a problem if it sets up too much. Ideally I will have Stealth Rock down before he hits the field. Salamence can potentially outspeed it and do massive damage with Draco Meteor. Salamence also resists both STAB attacks, so he is a good choice. Haxorus can outspeed it and OHKO with Outrage too, providing it has no Quiver Dance boosts.
    639.png
    Terrakion- Bronzong can handle this guy OK, but it will wear out quickly. Salamence can also be used here but need to watch out for Stone Edge. Haxorus can outspeed and OHKO with EQ and Outrage too I believe.
    645.png
    Landorus- Salamence can outspeed and KO, Bronzong is a good match here and Scrafty can KO with Ice Punch too.
    609.png
    Chandelure- Magnezone and Bronzong are the only two who can't handle this.
    612.png
    Haxorus- Hydreigon and Salamence. Bronzong but I have to be cautious of Mold Breaker. Possibly mirror match.
    640.png
    Virizion- I think Bronzong is decent here and same with Salamence - resisting both stab moves and outraging for the KO.
    642.png
    Thundurus- Haxorus and maybe Salamence. Bronzong is a good choice too. Possibly Scrafty.
    560.png
    Scrafty- Haxorus is probably my best bet, as he is my hardest hitter. Bronzong should do well here too. Salamence is an option but must watch out for Ice Punch.
    579.png
    Reuniclus- Hydreigon and Scrafty mainly.
    494.png
    Victini- Any of the dragons I think.
    620.png
    Mienshao- Bronzong, Haxorus and Salamence.
    555.png
    Darmanitan- Dragons.
    647.png
    Keldeo- I'm not sure. Bronzong maybe.
    649.png
    Genesect- Magnezone can trap it if it's choiced. Otherwise, he's probably going to be difficult for me to handle as it is quite fast and has a wide movepool.
    641.png
    Tornadus- Bronzong, Magnezone and Salamence.
    380.png
    Latias / Latios- Salamence outspeeds and OHKOs.
    373.png
    Salamence- Mirror match, Haxorus or Scrafty.
    091.png
    Cloyster- Hit him hard before he can Shell Smash is key. If he already has Shell Smash, Bronzong and Scrafty are my best bets.
    186.png
    Politoed- Dragons pretty much. Magnezone can be decent too.
    003.png
    Venusaur- Steel types should do well here I think.
    038.png
    Ninetails- Dragons.
    454.png
    Toxicroak- Bronzong and Haxorus. Perhaps Salamence too.
    286.png
    Breloom- Dragons.
    132.png
    Ditto- . . .
    212.png
    Scizor- Magnezone mainly.
    272.png
    Ludicolo- I dunno. Who gives a crap about Ludicolo anyway ¬_____¬
    376.png
    Metagross- Possibly Magnezone but it's dangerous. Bronzong is safer. Salamence and Haxorus can be used too.
    392.png
    Infernape- Salamence and Haxorus.
    485.png
    Heatran- Dragons. Scrafty too.
    149.png
    Dragonite- Outspeed it with dragons and go for the KO.
    547.png
    Whimsicott- Lol.
    385.png
    Jirachi- Magnezone. If it has U-Turn like a dick, then I'll melt it with Hydreigon or quake it with Haxorus.
    479-wash.png
    Rotom-W- I hate this thing. But Haxorus can quake it for an easy OHKO. Hydreigon and Latios can also put large dents in him.
    130.png
    Gyarados- Magnezone, but I need to watch out for enemy quakes. Outspeed with dragons and do massive damage works too.
    245.png
    Suicune- Magnezone or smash it up with dragons.
    141.png
    Kabutops- Bronzong and Scrafty can take a hit and retaliate with super effective moves.
    248.png
    Tyranitar- Hydreigon and Scrafty.
    472.png
    Gliscor- Scrafty, Hydreigon, Salamence, possibly Haxorus and Bronzong.

Magnezone can handle Jellicent which for some reason isn't on this list.

Team Evaluation

I think this team is decent but I'm not quite yet as satisfied with this as my previous team. There's still some work to be done before I will be completely comfortable in running this. Don't tell me to remove any of the Dark Pokemon either, because it's just not happening.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Welcome my Dark Lord and Master

Well, it may not mean much coming from me, as you are aware of my type bias.. but I love your team! <3

381.png

RAGNAROK (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Trick

This gives me enough speed to outrun a lot of threats. I contemplated using Timid here to outspeed Deoxys-S and maybe Excadrill (depending on how many EVs it invests into speed, but it's unlikely I'd outspeed it in Sandstorm in all honesty), but I decided to stick with Modest for the extra power. My moveset is probably rubbish, but I am new to using Latios and just legendary Pokemon in general. I usually stay away from them for a sense of pride I suppose. But I think he is the best for the task I have given him as a revenge killer so it can't be helped. I chose Psyshock over Psychic to help against those special walls like Blissey. I've seen a fair few Latios use Surf, so I added that over Ice Beam / Thunderbolt. I wanted to give Trick a go to cripple a wall, so I am going to test it.

Just a little thing here. As you may or may not have seen, I also finished a new team. This team includes Latias.

Thanks to Vrai, I feel like I have a deeper understanding of Latias. I am unsure of whether or not Vrai's advice applies with Latios but nevertheless, you seem to have everything covered relatively well.

The only this I can recommend is:
    381.png

- Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    / Grass Knot / Thunder
    - Trick / Recover / Calm Mind

I think Trick is a neat idea and I hope it works out for you. If not, then you have plenty of other options. Otherwise, your team is well constructed and thorough.

Well done!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Welcome my Dark Lord and Master

Well, it may not mean much coming from me, as you are aware of my type bias.. but I love your team! <3

Just a little thing here. As you may or may not have seen, I also finished a new team. This team includes Latias.

Thanks to Vrai, I feel like I have a deeper understanding of Latias. I am unsure of whether or not Vrai's advice applies with Latios but nevertheless, you seem to have everything covered relatively well.

The only this I can recommend is:
    381.png

- Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    / Grass Knot / Thunder
    - Trick / Recover / Calm Mind

I think Trick is a neat idea and I hope it works out for you. If not, then you have plenty of other options. Otherwise, your team is well constructed and thorough.

Well done!
    Surf >>>>>>>> Grass Knot. Always. Otherwise he can't hit Heatran or any other steel types. And why Recover or Calm Mind? It's a choice set, so he'll get stuck using these moves and will have to switch.

I honestly don't know why you have Latios and Hydreigon on the same team. If you want a scarfer to replace Garchomp then you're better off with Scarf Landorus/Terrakion. But if you want to use Latios then alright.
    Scarf Latios isn't that good so I suggest replacing it with a choice specs set. The only thing that checks Specs Latios is Sp.Def Jirachi and Bronzong and Latios is already fast enough without Scarf. I'm gonna say use HP Fire or Thunderbolt >>>> Trick since I think they'd help more.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I think your biggest trouble here revolves around your choice of revenge killer. Adamant Scarf Salamence sounds cool and all, but what happens if, say, a Jolly DD Mence comes in and sets up? It gets an OHKO on basically everything on your team save Bronzong, probably. And once it sufficiently weakens Bronzong, you risk getting swept by things like Excadrill, Landorus, etc. Keeping Bronzong alive is absolutely central for this team because it checks so many threats for you, most notably Latios and sand sweepers. This is why I'd consider using something like Scarf Terrakion - you still resist both of Volcarona's STABs, you still have an incredibly potent offense, and you also have a very good revenge killer if need be. You don't have to be worried about Scizor tbh because you have Magnezone. Terrakion also benefits from Skarmory being removed from play.

Beyond that, I dunno what to suggest. A reliable Conkeldurr check might be of interest to you since technically if conditions were positive for it, it could clear you out, but I'm unsure of what to suggest for you to get/replace. ;-;

Years
  • I think your biggest trouble here revolves around your choice of revenge killer. Adamant Scarf Salamence sounds cool and all, but what happens if, say, a Jolly DD Mence comes in and sets up? It gets an OHKO on basically everything on your team save Bronzong, probably. And once it sufficiently weakens Bronzong, you risk getting swept by things like Excadrill, Landorus, etc. Keeping Bronzong alive is absolutely central for this team because it checks so many threats for you, most notably Latios and sand sweepers. This is why I'd consider using something like Scarf Terrakion - you still resist both of Volcarona's STABs, you still have an incredibly potent offense, and you also have a very good revenge killer if need be. You don't have to be worried about Scizor tbh because you have Magnezone. Terrakion also benefits from Skarmory being removed from play.

Beyond that, I dunno what to suggest. A reliable Conkeldurr check might be of interest to you since technically if conditions were positive for it, it could clear you out, but I'm unsure of what to suggest for you to get/replace. ;-;

But I don't like Terrakion - he's a douchebag. And what is up with that justified ability, getting a boost from Dark attacks ¬________¬

Realistically Vrai, from my testing, I've rarely been outsped with Scarf Mence and I think the scenarios you listed should be fairly uncommon. I don't think Pokemon is a game where you can reliably check every single threat anyway. I think it's more important to sufficiently prepare for the common threats, rather than the ones less seen. Sure, I'll lose the odd battle to Wolf's Jolly Scarf Haxorus, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's such a big problem. Also, Salamence can be a good Conkeldurr counter, providing it does not have Stone Edge - I believe it usually carries Payback.

However, I have thought about something else from your post. My reliability on Bronzong. I am thinking it might be worthwhile for me to remove Stealth Rock and Hypnosis for Rest and Sleep Talk. A lot of teams I play don't really have much of a Stealth Rock weakness and with this team, I don't usually get rocks up until mid way battle, so I think I could justifiably remove Stealth Rock from this team.

------------------------------

Overbump! I have modified my Salamence and Bronzong now.

pokelooker

Staraptor guy
    Years
  • ummmmmm, cool!

its a fantastic team and i especilally admire the way you use such a small variety of different type pokemon yet it still seam like a truley awesome team.

ps:i would say you can test it out on my team but my teams quiet weak and you would proably oblivarate it:)

Back