• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the big deal of Atheism?

NDogg45

Skrillexmon is best Pokemon
Years
  • Most people hate Atheists such as myself. I mean, what is the big deal? We don't have the same beliefs as you, do not try to convert us... If you want to, leave us be to believe what WE WANT.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I assume it's because it's just quite a jump to say that "I don't believe in God." There are some non-religious people that at least believe in a divine power out there, so it's still like...some glimmer of hope, I guess. But to straight up not believe, it's just...I don't know the right words. So...straightforward, I suppose. I believe in God, but I don't hate atheists. That's your belief, and I have my own. Respect mine, I'll respect yours. It's simple as that. I don't see any reason to hate another person for their religious beliefs, or lack of. If this post makes no sense, I'm sorry, lol. It's 2 AM.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
    Years
  • In most cases, it boils down to how they were raised. A lot of people were raised to believe that their God is truly the only way. But, they were raised being taught about their religion as flawless, perfect, and the only right way. So, this being the case, they genuinely freak out when they hear someone doesn't believe what they believe. Anywho, this is just what I've seen at my school.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I did not know people hated Atheists on mass.

Some can be annoying because they look down on those who believe like they're stupid. But the same can be said about annoying overly religious types who try to convert people.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I couldn't imagine myself being atheist, I mean, dying would literally be the end for them. (No afterlife)

We already have one life here to make the most out of. I'd rather worry about this one and be happy. If it turns out there is an afterlife, well, I'll look into that once I'm there.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I don't think people hate atheists as a whole, just the select few who take it too far just as religious extremists. There's a difference between simply mentioning you don't believe in god when it comes up and then full on being condescending to others beliefs. I know someone who doesn't let us say "bless you" after he sneezes and laughs every time we pass a church.

I'm agnostic myself, so it's not like i'm sitting here mad that atheists are running down my beliefs, it's that they're doing that at all. And that goes for anyone who tries to convert or talk down peoples beliefs, certainly not just atheists.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
  • I did not know people hated Atheists on mass.

Some can be annoying because they look down on those who believe like they're stupid. But the same can be said about annoying overly religious types who try to convert people.

We are statistically the most hated and distrusted minority in America. Heck, even if you type 'atheists' into a site like Openbook, the number of statuses about atheists being stupid of all things is overwhelming.

People are just tribal and aggressive I guess. We're different in what many people consider extremely important ways, so they think we're deviant and dangerous.

cazzler said:
    I couldn't imagine myself being atheist, I mean, dying would literally be the end for them. (No afterlife)

It's really very simple. The human mind cannot imagine what it would be like to not be able to perceive anything; that would not make sense. So people tend to try and come up with something that must happen to one's consciousness or whatever after death, even though the consciousness and identity in question is as much a part of you physical brain as anything; it's more likely than not a pattern and a set of predispositions that dictate how you respond to things. In the end, all we are is matter. We're definitely very complex and interesting, but so are jellyfish and venus flytraps. We have an evolutionary quirk that makes us the way we are, self aware and successful. But that's what it is; not some supernatural component.

Personally, I think that's incredibly beautiful. I am a part of this planet, this universe...Just as much as the earth, every animal and plant, every grain of sand. And some day the elements and chemical compounds that make up my body and mind will gradually be distributed again to feed and be parts of other things, life will still exist, and the world, the galaxy..the universe will keep moving and evolving, just as it has before any of us came into existence, and after countless people and creatures have lived and died. There may be no 'afterlife' for you as an individual, but life will continue to exist in the universe for, if not forever, a very, very long time. That is good enough for me.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, you've got to put it in perspective. To many people not believing in God pretty much equals not believing in the existence of air. They know they can't see it or hear it, but they still feel it.

Of course, atheists and non-believers ideally should just respect each other just as Real Madrid and Barcelona FC fans do.

Oh wait... they don't.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
  • Atheists feel god?

No.

Also, the existence of air can be proven scientifically. That's kind of an important point to that argument that people seem to miss. Is it deliberate or are people just that oblivious?

Years
  • Because Atheists are a group of people who don't believe in supernatural things such as God (at least the ones I know), angels and such. I see their point, why believe something that we can't even see, whereas those who are Religious and such believe they have no fate whatsoever.

I don't really care about Atheists to much. I see them as I see anyone else, besides Religion governs things too much. Plus, why should they believe in God?

But I find it hilarious that the same religious people who say their God is benevolent and merciful are the same people who refuse to accept Atheism, and say Atheists are going to hell. What hell?

Though at the same time I've known Atheists who blame religion on everything that's wrong. Those kinds I hate, they don't help the problem they just fuel it.

I rest my case.

In fact I find them intelligent, they're smart enough to not follow the pack, hence they're the black sheep in society.

Asrossk

The Incompetent
    Years
  • I'm atheist. All it means is we do not believe in a God; I don't see why someone would hate us for that. I understand and respect any theist's view, why would they not respect ours in turn? Death is an impossible concept to imagine, an ocean of eternal darkness. Being from the perspective of an atheist has helped me realise how precious your life is. It's your one shot to do something that counts in this world.

If I was a theist I would not believe in an afterlife. We are all very lucky to be alive and I will be content with just having the privilege to spend some time on this planet.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
  • Even thinking of death as 'an ocean of eternal darkness' implies the person somehow living after death (just in, well, darkness.)

You won't see darkness. You won't feel or see anything; it'd be just like before you were born. Can you remember that? Do you recall seeing or feeling or perceiving anything? Existing?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I don't hate Atheists. I fully believe in God and all that, and consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I fully respect Atheists' right to choose to follow (or not follow, in this case) as they want or believe, religiously, because the United States, where I live, was founded on Freedom of Religion. However, as far as Atheists who disrespect those of us who do believe in God, then I don't get along with them. Simply put towards Atheists: I won't try to convert you, because that is disrespectful. I expect the same respect in return.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Atheists feel god?

No.

Also, the existence of air can be proven scientifically. That's kind of an important point to that argument that people seem to miss. Is it deliberate or are people just that oblivious?
    You missed the point. He was saying that to theists, the concept of God is as natural as air. You can't (typically) see either, but you know they're there. That's just how natural theology is to them, just as you sit there and go "well obviously since I don't see any concrete proof, it means there's nothing". Two different viewpoints and sometimes even looking at the same evidence produces two different ideas. (Like the people who look at the Big Bang and see only science with no room for a deity, or the people who look at it and see proof of God setting the universe in motion.)
    Even thinking of death as 'an ocean of eternal darkness' implies the person somehow living after death (just in, well, darkness.)

You won't see darkness. You won't feel or see anything; it'd be just like before you were born. Can you remember that? Do you recall seeing or feeling or perceiving anything? Existing?
    Atheism just means you don't believe in a theological higher power, so no God(s). It says nothing about afterlife and if someone believes that after you die it's just a deep, dark abyss, they can still be an atheist. And you're sort of being one of those atheists in this thread, the ones that turn every discussion involving theology into "no, atheists are right because ____". D:

Though I guess everyone's sort of getting it wrong with thinking that all atheists belong in nothingness after life and all theists believe in heaven/afterlife equivalent. I look at (a)theism very literally, meaning for me, it's just whether or not you believe in any sort of deity and any superstition or lack thereof relating to a religion (or personal beliefs that don't align with a religion) is separate.

As for myself, I used to consider myself an atheist and then I realized later that I honestly don't care in the least. Maybe there's a god, maybe there isn't. What if I decide to believe in a god and follow a religion and I pick the wrong one and don't get into any sort of afterlife anyway? I don't feel that it directly affects the life I'm living now, and it doesn't interest me enough to ponder it deeply, so I'm just apathetic.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Even thinking of death as 'an ocean of eternal darkness' implies the person somehow living after death (just in, well, darkness.)

I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, let alone feeling something when I was in my mother's womb more than 19 years ago.

Years
  • Atheists feel god?

No.

I never said atheists. If your read carefully, I was talking about believers. And you just can't say they don't feel it, even if you don't.

Heh, it's called an analogy. I'm sorry if that wasn't awfully obvious. I was just trying to put how believers feel about atheism in perspective.

Years
  • Yay, let's hate people for their beliefs! Very forward thinking and progressive.

Let people have the beliefs they want, as long as they aren't trying to convert people en masse, and as long as they don't try to turn the US into a theocracy. That's the problem I have with missionary trips and the like.

Last edited:
    Back