• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HELLO! WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHANGE RELIGIONS? I HAVE A FREE BOOK WRITTEN BY JESUS!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • What are people's opinions on musicals, whether on stage or screen? I get the impression from reading other threads in C&M that some people aren't particularly fond of them at all, whereas some people love them.

(The title comes from the opening song from The Book of Mormon, shown below. Give it a listen!)

Years
  • I find most musicals aren't worth watching. In the golden age of musicals Hollywood churned them out like a factory and so you can expect to see a lot of the same thing over and over. That's boring. Today you get a lot that are supposed to be edgy and controversial, but I find that you end up with a lot of the same problems of yesterday since everything under the sun gets made into a musical. Again, that's boring, not edgy at all. The biggest problem I have comes from the music itself not being very interesting. I'll stop complaining now and point out some musicals I do like.

I always liked Phantom of the Opera because it's nostalgic for me and a little while ago I saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch which I also fell in love with. I wish I could find more I could like, but I just have so little tolerance for them that I can't watch more than once a month at best.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm a fan of some musicals, but generally I'm not a fan of stage productions in general so I like the on-screen ones. When a TV show I watch does a musical episode, I get apprehensive and severely hope they do it well. Buffy and Grey's Anatomy are examples of fantastic musical making for their one-off attempts.

I also watch Glee :D and I saw Mamma Mia. There's something about musicals that just makes you feel happy and bouncy. But they have to be done well.

Nyokou

Global Generation
    Years
  • I'm really interested in watching The Book of Mormon actually, since I'm a former Mormon myself.

Well, I love musicals, but my boyfriend absolutely hates 'em.

Musical films anyway, I have never seen one in person, sadly. However, out of the musical films I've watched I'd have to say my favorite is Cats simply because it's the first one I ever watched... plus I love kitties. And I know all the songs. Other ones I've watched are Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (I know all these songs too), Annie, Enchanted, Chicago and Sweeney Todd. There are multiple others I never finished watching all the way through though.

How about animated musical films - specifically from Disney - would those count too?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm really interested in watching The Book of Mormon actually, since I'm a former Mormon myself.

Well, I love musicals, but my boyfriend absolutely hates 'em.

Musical films anyway, I have never seen one in person, sadly. However, out of the musical films I've watched I'd have to say my favorite is Cats simply because it's the first one I ever watched... plus I love kitties. And I know all the songs. Other ones I've watched are Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (I know all these songs too), Annie, Enchanted, Chicago and Sweeney Todd. There are multiple others I never finished watching all the way through though.

How about animated musical films - specifically from Disney - would those count too?
    I'm hopefully going to New York some time next year, and at the top of my list is seeing Book of Mormon. I listened to the cast recording online and it was so good that I just went out and bought it as soon as I could. It's wonderfully foul-mouthed and yet with a sweet core in the middle. I highly, highly, recommend it... even though I haven't actually seen it!

Of course animated musicals count. When I ask this question to my friends, most of them end up saying either The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I actually like musicals; for example, I went with my family to go see the musical Mamma Mia! and it was pretty darn impressive; considering the time it took as well! I'm not sure if this counts as a musical: I also went to see The Lion King a musical in a theater in downtown Toronto; it was REALLY nice.

I guess the only problem I have with musicals is the length of time; I'm usually the type of person who doesn't like to sit and listn to something in a long period of time. @.@

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I love musicals, but most of the musicals made into films I don't really watch... I love going to the theatre, but those plays written for the stage I find often aren't done justice through film. From my experience anyways...

I have actually been in two musicals throughout high school, Sweeney Todd and Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience, a chorus member for both, but with some little solo moments for both.

My favourite musical is definitely The Lion King and is actually mu favourite soundtrack as well! I saw the performances 3 times and absolutely loved each time to bits. I saw it twice in Australia, and once on Broadway in New York where I was sitting on the aisle, when the animals walked down which was a brilliant experience!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • I saw the Lion King on Broadway when I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I absolutely loved it. The one musical I'm dying to see is Wicked though, I have the original soundtrack (Kristin Chenoweth is a goddess, just saying), and the music is just amazing and so dang catchy.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Wicked is a great musical! Very stunning musical from a visual perspective, and the songs are wonderful too!

At my high school, the drum teacher was actually the drummer for the Australian performances of Wicked, which is pretty insane!

Years
  • What are your favourite musicals?

As the name suggests, what are some of the musicals that you may have watched over the course of your life that you liked something about it so much?

My forever favourites would be The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Mamma Mia!, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Hairspray. Enchanted, Grease and Chicago are also in my good books. :3 Whats yours?

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2011
    I love Mamma Mia!, the musical, the movie, and the songs too! My absolute favourite forever.

I love Mamma Mia!, the musical, the movie, and the songs too! My absolute favourite forever.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Musicals! Granted, I pretty much watch the same ones as everyone else, but that doesn't diminish my love for the, does it? Grease, Phantom of the Opera, Annie, Enchanted etc forever <3

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Okay, now that I've seen Wicked (Youtube videos with original cast? I'll take it haha), I'm even more in love with Kristin Chenoweth. Mind blowingly good.

Rocket Grunt Cali

Prepare for trouble!
    Years
  • I'm a theatre major with a focus in musical theatre performance. Does that tell you anything? XD I love any and all musicals (except Rent and Phantom because I think they're overrated), and it's been my dream for YEARS to someday be Elphaba in Wicked. I also love Jekyll and Hyde, Shrek the Musical, all six Disney Broadway shows, Little Shop of Horrors, Annie, Spamalot, Sweeney Todd, Avenue Q... the list goes on and on!

Some of my favorite movie musicals (not counting animated ones because if I did we'd be here all day) are Little Shop of Horrors, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, Repo! The Genetic Opera, and Sweeney Todd, and Chicago. And now I'm going to shut up :P

Back