• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What makes Linux so special?

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
Years
  • I've tried looking at the website and I just don't get it, what set's linux apart? I've heard people say it's so much better then Windows but why? And what does it look like?

Sorry, I'm not the smartest tool in the shed ^^;;

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Linux is more secure, stable, free, flexible, and more customizable than Windows or Macintosh. Linux comes in many different distros which suit people with their own taste and it's open-sourced. There is only one and one only downside to Linux, program supports. Most programs will only work with Windows and nothing else. This is the problem Linux has. It's getting better, but not by much. Of course, there is WINE, Crossover Office, and Cedega which tries to get .exe's working on Linux and they do a fairly good job on it.

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
  • Yep,and the wonderful thing about linux is that you are in control,not the evil Bill Gates. Like me for example,I compiled the 2.6.10 kernel from source yesterday,actually compiled acceleration for this old Voodoo 3 card I have. And the choices are endless....you can be a minimalist like me and run window managers such as Fluxbox,Blackbox,Enlightenment,Windowmaker...or you can go for the gusto and run KDE or GNOME,or any combination of them. That what makes Linux so special.

Attached is a couple of screenshots of Fluxbox with the Fluxbox Desktop Icons

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
  • But what would you rather live with,unstabiltity and the BSOD,or stability,and the notion that you are running an os that is not controlled by a person who only cares about himself,and the only reason he builds this os is to rack money in from technical support calls and viruses galore. I would choose Linux over winbloz for that reason.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    a1337a said:
    Linux however, will never be the primary desktop OS in the world. It just won't happen, because you have to posess some level of masochism to want to use Linux on an everyday basis.
    In lamens terms, imagine you've got two cars. One of them is brand new and for the most part, works. When it breaks down of course, you take it in for repairs, but you don't need to know anything about it to make it work. It just does.
    The other one though, instead of turning the key and having it start, you have to kick over each part of the ignition process manually. Then, instead of pressing the gas and having the car move, you have to take apart the engine and tell it exactly how fast you want to be going, an aproximation of how far, and what speeds in what areas. Then, you don't just wind down a window. You have to install the window winder yourself, because it doesn't come as stock, incase someone else didn't want it. Also, forget about the radio because you just don't speak FM/AM. No tuning dials here. Now that the car is started, moving, and maybe has the window wound down, you want to turn? Oh shoot, thats a steering wheel that other drivers haven't included support for, looks like you just cant turn. Oh well ^_^
    Now, given this crude example, which car would YOU rather drive?
    There are other Linux distros than Gentoo. Gentoo is for the extreme Linux expert. With the other distros, you don't have to customize every single thing. Just the things that you want to. Like Fedora, Mandrake, and Mepis. But to me, Mepis sucked because it was some much like Windows where it won't do what it tells you and Fedora is so buggy. It's like it's in beta. Though I have heard that mostly everyone other than me who used those two distros liked them. So, I guess it's my falut. Maybe it's becuase I'm looking for the perfect OS that doesn't exsist.

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    Okay, I think you're missing the point. You seem to be one of these "I'm gonna hate windows because it's COOL to", people.
    I live by the notion, why make things more difficult than they need to be? Yeah, I run a tato box, but certainly not as a desktop OS. Yeah, when Windows was still gripping to the 16bit codebase, it was unstable. But since Windows 2000, and especially with XP, such things as instability and bluescreens of death are seldom. A thing of the past, or a fault with outside influence.
    And thanks, but I'd rather run an OS coded by a large team of professionals, than by a massive team of amatuers who seek for the most part to be as much like Windows as they can, anyway.
    Look, Linux is groovy from a server point of view. You want a box to stay up forever, run a nix box with no GUI.
    You want a desktop OS that everything is released on, and just works?
    Get Windows.

OK,I'm not running linux b/c it is cool,I'm running it b/c I prefer it. Thats all. I'm not really "forcing" anyone to use it,it is just a suggestion. And you should know windows has more holes than swiss cheese.

BTW,RH,Mandrake,and SUSE are coded by professionals,and yes they do have technical support.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    PichuSecretBase said:
    Okies,I want the mac style, Two questions, can you easily get rid of linux and is it easy to install/run?
    To get rid of Linux, just reformat the partition which Linux is on or install another OS over it. Simple. For the installing part, depends which distro you want. Fedora, Mandrake, Mepis, and others have a very easy install and takes about 20-30 minutes to install. Could take longer if you wanted more programs, but on average, 20-30 minutes. Not all distros are like this. Gentoo isn't one. Unless you're a Linux expert, don't use it. There are distros, like Knoppix, that are a live CD distro. What that means you don't need to install anything. It runs off the CD. If you want a feel for Linux, get Knoppix.

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
    Years
  • Bleh, I'm not going to get it... I was looking around and it takes a lot of space and I'm happy with windows. I just want one of those shell thingers... any suggestions?

Last edited:

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
  • if you are concerned about space,just get knoppix....you don't have to install anything. It just runs off the cd

knoppix.net is the place to get it....just remember to get the english(EN) version.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Even Knoppix can be kind of challenging to someone who was raised Windows.

I think all he really wants is to change the appearance of his system, anyways. o_o

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • PichuSecretBase said:
    I've tried looking at the website and I just don't get it, what set's linux apart? I've heard people say it's so much better then Windows but why? And what does it look like?

Sorry, I'm not the smartest tool in the shed ^^;;

Well, it is open source, most people who hate Microsoft run it and it is free. It is also an absolute pain in the neck to use and probably holds the record for being unuser friendly.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Shining Arcanine said:
    Well, it is open source, most people who hate Microsoft run it and it is free. It is also an absolute pain in the neck to use and probably holds the record for being unuser friendly.
    That is changing so much. Linux is getting more user friendly by the day. Fedora, Mepis, SuSe, Mandrake, PClinuxOS are just to name a few that are user friendly.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Kip-kip said:
    That is changing so much. Linux is getting more user friendly by the day. Fedora, Mepis, SuSe, Mandrake, PClinuxOS are just to name a few that are user friendly.

Linux is a kernal. It is not going to become user friendly.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Shining Arcanine said:
    Linux is a kernal. It is not going to become user friendly.
    Then how about, "Linux Distrobutions?" Linux distrobutions are becoming more user-friendly by the day.

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
  • yep,Linux is just a kernel,and yes the distributions have become less painful to install. Of course,you still need a little knowledge to install it,but once you get it running,it breathes new life to a computer. Less crashes,more stable,less prone to spyware and viruses. That's what sets Linux apart from Winbloz(of course no offense to the BSD users out there,and I do respect them.)But with all this info,why not switch to Linux?

100th post....I feel special

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • Kip-kip said:
    Then how about, "Linux Distrobutions?" Linux distrobutions are becoming more user-friendly by the day.

Even so, Windows is far ahead of them in ease of use.

TSS_Killer said:
    yep,Linux is just a kernel,and yes the distributions have become less painful to install. Of course,you still need a little knowledge to install it,but once you get it running,it breathes new life to a computer. Less crashes,more stable,less prone to spyware and viruses. That's what sets Linux apart from Winbloz(of course no offense to the BSD users out there,and I do respect them.)But with all this info,why not switch to Linux?

To answer your question, probably because most of it is false.

Unless you're comparing a Linux distribution to Windows 9x you're not going be able to tell any difference stability wise. I myself leave my PC running 24/7 and it has only has crashed once since I installed SP2 because it overheated (Linux can't make your PC cooler). Prior to that it had only crashed when I had messed up (a handful of times).

As for security Linux is no less vunerable than Windows if it isn't properly secured. The newer distributions and Windows XP SP2 are a step in the right direction but they aren't panaceas to security issues. Luckily for Linux's reputation the people who use it are mostly people who know what they're doing so most Linux installations are pretty well locked down. Many people who use Windows have no clue what they're doing so they're Windows installations are extremely unsecure. If people who have no clue were to switch to Linux from Windows we'd hear more a heck of a lot more about security flaws in Linux such as the 48 security flaws found in Mandrake Linux 10.1 since it came out late last October.

To name something that Linux probably won't be able to match within the upcoming decades... Games. Windows has the widest variety of native games in the world. Sure you can emulate Windows but when people play games the last thing they would want are frame drops every few milliseconds (which in some cases is true).

Back