• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [FIRERED HACK] Pokemon: The Springvale Legacies

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
    • Seen today
    [FIRERED HACK]

#Updated: November 27 th
    Been busy studying and having a life guys, no time for hacking lately, maybe over Christmas I can continue but have January exams. Getting into to a Finance or Business Management degree is a far higher priority than this and so is partying and having a social life, shame I can't ROM hack on my iPad... Sorry peoples!

Pokemon: The Springvale Legacies (My First Hack)

Introduction + Basic Story
    Springvale Isle. A large island inhabited by many a Pokemon, with over 300 species accounted for in total. It's lush green landscape and generally decent weather makes great living conditions for Pokemon and Trainers alike. Central to the island is a large Ruin, rumoured to having been there for thousands of years, sealed off by a small door that no Pokemon or Machine, however powerful has been able to force open. Along the cliffside this door lies upon is a small cavern in which 8 placeholders lye, fit for what are known as the 8 pieces of the legendary Regipuzzle.

The pieces of the Regipuzzle were once part of an ancient tablet depicting 3 great gods made of Ice, Rock and Steel. These 3 powerful creatures however are all standing around a single, large figure, a god who of which has never been seen before, but is known as none other than the creator. The Tablet however was said to possess great power and attracted villains from all over the place, including Team Magma and Aqua in the past, and so the Spingvale High Council destroyed the tablet with the summoning of Mewtwo and it fell into 8 pieces to the ground, and was shared out between the council and hidden in secret locations across Springvale Isle.

So, you start off as mere student at the PokeCollege on Springvale Isle, the College that plays rival to Springvales other place of study, Springvale Academy. You are reaching the days of graduation and so you are given your first Pokemon, given the task of earning Final Graduation and setting off on your own journey.

However, things quickly turn messy... Springvale Isle is rumoured to be upheld and kept intact by the three PokeGods, made of Ice, Rock and Steel. However, the no-good remains of Team Rocket have set up base here and plan to disturb and capture these gods for their own power, all under the name of Giovonni's old Executive, known only as Toxic. Your first encounter sees Team Rocket stealing rare starter Pokemon from PokeCollege graduates, and so the story begins. Can you, a humble adventurer, along with the Springvale Council stop Team Rocket before Springvale is lost? Can you retrieve all 8 pieces to the Regipuzzle before team rocket!?

Features of the game (decided so far)
    - Custom Palette Colours
    - New scripts (ofc)
    - Completely new region (Springvale Isle)
    - Abra, Larvitar and Beldum featured as starters also (currently 6 in total)
    - Returns to maps from other regions! (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Orre, Sinnoh!?)
    - 4 Regipuzzle pieces obtainable through Council Gyms, other 4 earnt in unusual manners
    - New Character OW (Coming soon!)
    - Some Pokemon have edited stats/types
    - Legendary battles between yourself and opponents
    - No Gym badges.

Game Completion
    Mapping: PokeCollege
    Isle (Route) 1
    Isle Caverns
    Isle (Route) 2
    Maple Town
    Isle (Route) 3...

Scripting : PokeCollege (With problems)
    Isle 1...
    Isle Caverns...

Screenshots
    testknowledge.png
    pokecentre.png
    bulbasaur.png
    abra.png
    beldum.png
    Contestpassthrough.png
    chikoritano.png
    hoothootbattle.png
    Rufio1.png
    rufio2.png
    pokedexyay.png
    isle1.png
    runningshoes.png
    isle1end.png

Videos
    None as of yet

Tiles, Palettes and scripts may change as hack progresses.
    I am attempting to uphold sixth form and succeed in order to go to uni, do 2 jobs and a drumming career whilst making this, as well as a very busy social life. Time may be a struggle as it's purely me developing this hack.

Downloads
    None as of yet, shall upload when first segment is complete.
    First Segment will consist of the first 3 towns, including PokeCollege Graduation, first encounter with Team Rocket, hidden rumours of the PokeGods and the obtaining of the first Regipuzzle Piece.

Credits - Me, and...
    Me.

Common Comment.

"The start looks like Pokemon Old White o.O"

- Genius. Just because one guy makes an impressive hack involving graduation in the intro also using the Cinnabar Tileset, doesn't mean others can't have similar ideas, the entire game isn't going to be similar.

Looking for...
    - Scripting helper
    - Player OW creator :)

Last edited:

Tan and Teal

DS ROM Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2019
    Wow. I really like the story. There aren't many hacks with the regis. Will you be adding Regigigas is the future?

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    Wow. I really like the story. There aren't many hacks with the regis. Will you be adding Regigigas is the future?

Thank you, and well... This is still something I'm considering, but it's looking very likely.

I don't want to open up too much about the legendaries involved. :) I have an idea, but nothing is definite.

Skizzieren

- to outline; design
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    Alright, a new hack is up! I always like the idea of having the protagonist graduating some sort of school at the beginning of the game, but I haven't played any hacks that have made significant progress on that type of storyline. Hopefully, you'll stick with this for a long time. I really like the new palette for routes, too! Everything is more lush-looking.

Do Gym Leaders have pieces to the Regi-puzzle, or do they give you badges? The features say badges, but the story implied puzzle pieces.

Tan and Teal

DS ROM Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2019
    Thank you, and well... This is still something I'm considering, but it's looking very likely.

I don't want to open up too much about the legendaries involved. :) I have an idea, but nothing is definite.

Yup. That's a good way to start. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    Alright, a new hack is up! I always like the idea of having the protagonist graduating some sort of school at the beginning of the game, but I haven't played any hacks that have made significant progress on that type of storyline. Hopefully, you'll stick with this for a long time. I really like the new palette for routes, too! Everything is more lush-looking.

Do Gym Leaders have pieces to the Regi-puzzle, or do they give you badges? The features say badges, but the story implied puzzle pieces.

Hey, thanks for the comment. Yeah, I've always liked the idea a form of Graduation start to a game, and Palette wise, I cannot stand FR/LG's original colours, and I'm not a huge fan of inserting tiles either so custom palettes appeals to me most.

And yeah I've changed that now, I meant to change that. Yeah you earn the Regipuzzle Pieces through Gyms and many other eventful ways.

I do intend to stick to this, but as I said, progress will be slow, until I maybe get myself a laptop too, so I have more time in my own to work on it.

Skizzieren

- to outline; design
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    That makes more sense! Haha Sometimes palettes are tricky to get just right, but like I said, the routes' palette look pretty decent right now.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    testknowledge.png
    Contestpassthrough.png

These two places look exactly like Pokémon Old White (I'm betting on hering 'never heard of it' excuse here)
    rufio2.png

Again, it's how you graduate on Pokemon Old White.
    So, you start off as mere student at the PokeCollege on Springvale Isle, the College that plays rival to Springvales other place of study, Springvale Academy. You are reaching the days of graduation and so you are given your first Pokemon, given the task of earning Final Graduation and setting off on your own journey.
    Same as Old White?
    pokecentre.png

PAllette error. and looks familiar (Old White?)

Overall? Some of this reminds me too much of Pokémon Old White.
    After the main College bit it appears to take it's own shape (as long as Team Aqua do not appear).

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    testknowledge.png
    Contestpassthrough.png

These two places look exactly like Pokémon Old White (I'm betting on hering 'never heard of it' excuse here)
    rufio2.png

Again, it's how you graduate on Pokemon Old White.

Same as Old White?
    pokecentre.png

PAllette error. and looks familiar (Old White?)

Overall? Some of this reminds me too much of Pokémon Old White.
    After the main College bit it appears to take it's own shape (as long as Team Aqua do not appear).

A lot of inspiration from the start of my game has come from Foullumps Old White, that being the Idea of a college sort of area with graduation, graduation being a gym challenge, however the Gym is likely to change internally as well as the leaders OW. However, from there and the events of my game are nothing like Old Whites, as I said, the only ideas sparked from Foullumps are the college idea.

Also mentioned above is the fact no game reached very far at all, never mind completion with such an intro, and so until someone actually makes a lengthy game worth playing from it, I do not see it as a problem, at all.

Edit: Team Rocket are in the game, if Aqua appear it'll be alongside Magma + Rocket. I will also look into that palette error.

And the fact I used the same Tileset (A Firered default) and completely improvised and custom map has nothing to do with Old White. Of course they look similar they're the same default tiles, even though foullump added d/p tiles.

leews24

ha
    Years
  • Although I do not quite understand what you mean by, return form other regions,
    It looks good so far. It does remind me of Old White, but come one, alot of hacks are similar.
    But I just dont get why you added Beldum and Abra to the starter lineup...

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    Although I do not quite understand what you mean by, return form other regions,
    It looks good so far. It does remind me of Old White, but come one, alot of hacks are similar.
    But I just dont get why you added Beldum and Abra to the starter lineup...

I wanted to add more diversity, as a pose to nearly every other game where you only have 3 basic starters. Plus, abra is just the coolest pokemon ever.

They will have their stats modified to meet those of regular starters, evolution levels edited and also the levels at which they learn moves and which moves they learn changed. Basically completely modified.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Dude, why does this remind me of Yugioh GX? Anyways, I can't see the screenshots right now but the story seems to suffice enough.

Will the island be big, or will there be mini islands that you can travel to? How will you fit the entire Kanto region in an island?

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • Hmm... I'll tell you what I think. Remember, I'm like Banjora Marx in the way I will flat out rate your hack. Take none of this to offence. If you can take this, maybe this hack will become very successful.

First of all, graphics. Palette error on the PC. The mapping is okay, but I see some shading errors in the trees. Overall, just a few things to fix.

Next, storyline. This looks fine. I never would have noticed it until Nintendork pointed out the similarities to Old White, but now that I think about it... It is kinda similar. Try shaking it up a bit. The more original and new a hack is, the better it will become.

Now for the specifics. The region is fine, don't worry about it. I'm a bit perplexed about the puzzle pieces... If you wouldn't mind talking a bit more about that, it would help. Everything else looks fine. Have fun!

Haru

Wolf Simp
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    Regi story is pretty cool and i like the idea that its after college xD

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    Dude, why does this remind me of Yugioh GX? Anyways, I can't see the screenshots right now but the story seems to suffice enough.

Will the island be big, or will there be mini islands that you can travel to? How will you fit the entire Kanto region in an island?

The island is going to be pretty big yes, however there will be a part where you travel via boat to a small part of another region, Such as Cinnabar, Slateport, or maybe a part of Orre, seen in Pokemon Colleseum.

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    Hmm... I'll tell you what I think. Remember, I'm like Banjora Marx in the way I will flat out rate your hack. Take none of this to offence. If you can take this, maybe this hack will become very successful.

First of all, graphics. Palette error on the PC. The mapping is okay, but I see some shading errors in the trees. Overall, just a few things to fix.

Next, storyline. This looks fine. I never would have noticed it until Nintendork pointed out the similarities to Old White, but now that I think about it... It is kinda similar. Try shaking it up a bit. The more original and new a hack is, the better it will become.

Now for the specifics. The region is fine, don't worry about it. I'm a bit perplexed about the puzzle pieces... If you wouldn't mind talking a bit more about that, it would help. Everything else looks fine. Have fun!

The tree shading is such a hard error to notice, but I've gone over loads of it so hopefully it's all correct :)

As I said above, the only similarity is the fact your at a College/Academy at the start which uses the same Tileset, and the fact you need to defeat a gym to graduate. However, the storyline itself from there is nothing like Whites. And I'll add more about the Regipuzzle pieces soon, hold on :)

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    Major additions made to storyline, along with other changes to orignal post.

leews24

ha
    Years
  • I see you have added Larvitar to the starter lineup.
    Now that we know no one will be getting the original 3 starters(or not),
    why not just get 17 starters?
    I mean, if its all about diversity, why not?
    Of course, Larvitar and Beldum will have to be replaced...

Just sayin. Kinda thought it'd make more sense that way.

DaleFails

Years
    • Seen today
    I see you have added Larvitar to the starter lineup.
    Now that we know no one will be getting the original 3 starters(or not),
    why not just get 17 starters?
    I mean, if its all about diversity, why not?
    Of course, Larvitar and Beldum will have to be replaced...

Just sayin. Kinda thought it'd make more sense that way.

I see your logic. There are 3 of the original starters, one of each type from each Region (Sinnoh aside). I want to add pokemon the have a total of 3 Evolutions of every type by the end, this way a player can tackle the game in a large number of ways and start with any specific type they want, it's likely however that Ghost will NOT be on the list.

You choose your Pokemon by exploring the College and speaking to different teachers, who offer you different type Pokemon, this gets the player to at least venture around the entire campus.

Back