The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:19 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Well I suppose she isn't an out and out villain but for the purpose of the film she probably will be.

I think they built upon something with Scarecrow and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he was killed off.
Scarecrow wasn't killed off, no. In either movie.

Ra's was though. Batman said something to the effect of "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you either" and then the train collided.

Which always seemed a little strange to me given Batman's golden rule. So, maybe Ra's never died. Somehow.
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post

Well, she doesn't have to be a villain. She's kind of ambiguous; neither good or evil. She's a bit of an antihero-type foil to Batman.

I think that grey area would be interesting for Nolan to examine.

But, yeah, I am a bit concerned. I hope the movie doesn't suffer from threequelitus. I don't like the title. "The Dark Knight Rises". TDK was great and popular, but I don't think this movie should tie itself to it so strongly. It'd be like if Return of the Jedi was called "The Empire Strikes Back Some More". Bane was also difficult to understand in the footage we've seen so far, so I hope they address that. The eight year gap between this movie and the story of the last one just seems strange to me.

Also, if you think Catwoman goes against the trend of the last two movies... if they do bring Ra's back, that would just be the kicker. The Lazarus pit does not fit in Nolan's world.

But, at the same time, its Nolan. I love his movies. I don't think he'll screw it up.

What worries me most about Catwoman is Hathaway. Nolan doesn't seem good at casting female characters. Katie Holmes as Rachael in the first movie was boring, but... appropriate I guess. And Maggie Gyllenhaal was not appropriate for that character at all in the second movie. Way to peppy. I hope Hathaway doesn't make Selina peppy.
I wouldn't expect much from Nolan with Catwoman. He doesn't really know what to do with female characters except have them die so they can motivate the main male character. See also: Memento, The Prestige, Inception.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I wouldn't expect much from Nolan with Catwoman. He doesn't really know what to do with female characters except have them die so they can motivate the main male character. See also: Memento, The Prestige, Inception.
lol Ellen Page in Inception was just "I'm here so that the main characters can explain stuff to me as if they were explaining it to the audience who can't follow along"

Yeah... female characters isn't Nolan's strong-suit.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
So... I finally decided to change the title. Agree/disagree?

(Also, hi from Japan. Ryokans and cat cafés are A-MA-ZING!)
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Oh thank GOD you finally changed that damn title. It was deterring me from coming here because it was disrespectful!

On the topic, I have faith in Anne Hathaway to not mess up the role of Catwoman! But if she does it's no big deal, considering nearly everybody else has before her.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:18 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Hey do you have any songs I would like on iTunes? I have $11 left and I would really like to spend it

Um, my two favorite songs right now are Cozza Frenzy and Voodoo from Bassnectar.

My most-played album is in general, Discovery from Daft Punk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
[SIZE="a"]Looking for dubstep other than Skrillex. I know some dubstep besides Skrillex like Nero and Flux Pavillion but I want to expand my library.[/SIZE]
I'm really disappointed he didn't point out Excision. A great song to start out with is Ohhh Nooo.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
So... I finally decided to change the title. Agree/disagree?

(Also, hi from Japan. Ryokans and cat cafés are A-MA-ZING!)
Agree 110%

Just imagine how things could have been if we had Adam West around for the current movies.

And I can't believe you went to a cat cafe.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Sсott

Nature: Lax
Did anyone happen to catch the first episode of Sakamichi no Apollon? I am not much of a fan of music-themed anime and certainly not jazz music, but for some reason I was drawn by the show. I enjoyed every bit, every minute and it somehow softened my dislike for music anime. Sentarou has to be one of the most unique characters EVER.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sсott View Post
Sentarou has to be one of the most unique characters EVER.
I thought the same exact thing. I was half expecting him to fall into one of the usual stereotypes. Definitely already loving this series.

And your warming to the music is because it's Yoko Kanno and she is a goddess of music.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Scuki
Trainer

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sсott View Post
Did anyone happen to catch the first episode of Sakamichi no Apollon? I am not much of a fan of music-themed anime and certainly not jazz music, but for some reason I was drawn by the show. I enjoyed every bit, every minute and it somehow softened my dislike for music anime. Sentarou has to be one of the most unique characters EVER.
Oh what's this anime about? It sounds interesting... I never saw a music- themed anime before...
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I shall get to that tonight, Pokey commented on how well it was animated, I'm excited.

You haven't seen Beck, Nodame Cantabile, Nana, Detroit Metal City or K-On!?

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Sсott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I thought the same exact thing. I was half expecting him to fall into one of the usual stereotypes. Definitely already loving this series.

And your warming to the music is because it's Yoko Kanno and she is a goddess of music.
I anticipated a generic impression of him, to be honest, as well. But, somehow, he caught my attention instantly, and that rarely happens to me.

As for Kaoru, he seems like a character that will be a focus of much development, especially now he's with Sentarou. Ritsuko strikes me as an annoying character; I generally dislike overly optimistic, [too] friendly anime characters, but her 'role' seems okay I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuki View Post

Oh what's this anime about? It sounds interesting... I never saw a music- themed anime before...
Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The beginning of summer, 1966.

Because of his father's job situation, freshman high school student Kaoru Nishimi moves by himself from Yokosuka to Kyushu to live with relatives. Until then, Kaoru was an honor roll student who tended to keep to himself, but meeting notorious bad boy Sentaro Kawabuchi starts to change him. Through his devil-may-care classmate, Kaoru learns the attractions of jazz and finds the first person he can call a "friend". He also discovers how much fun it is to play music with a pal.

Other characters include Sentaro's kind childhood chum, Ritsuko, who is the daughter of a record shop owner; the mysterious upperclassman, Yurika; and Brother Jun, the much-admired leader among their peers. Set against the backdrop of a seaside town with a scent of American culture, this series is a drama about young people coming into their own, crossing each other's paths, and finding friendship, love, and music!

Source: MAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
I shall get to that tonight, Pokey commented on how well it was animated, I'm excited.

You haven't seen Beck, Nodame Cantabile, Nana, Detroit Metal City or K-On!?
I don't prefer that kind of animation actually, but in this anime, I kind of liked it. From that list, I only watched Detroit Metal City. I might try out others sometime.

Other shows that I found interesting enough to perpetuate were Sankrea, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka of the Dead ,Kuroko no Basket, Jormungand and Nazo no Kanojo X. I'm still not sure about Medaka Box; it's an incredible yet weird combination of generic-ness (is this a word?) and intrigue. Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna is also on my maybe-list; the first two episodes were fine, but I prefer the older series. I might stick with it for the nostalgia and Mine Fujiko.

I still have Tsuritama on my list. This should be interesting and I'm hearing excellent views on the art.
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

The first Medaka box arc is pretty boring but it does improve. I can't help but feel whole series is a parody of shounen although not in a Gintama way, anyway you'll see as it goes on.

MGX is my favourite so far, it's like we went back 15 years visually, I love it.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I'm sad that recent anime seasons have had little to offer me. Any suggestions for shows I can watch this spring besides Saki Achiga-hen and Natsuiro Kiseki (since I already plan to follow those two this season)?

Remember I like high school romance/slice of life, and mahou shoujo.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

The cute girls doing cute things series look boring this season and the only new mahou shoujo is the new season of Jewelpet, I would like to watch that but the first series in the franchise still isn't subbed. D:

Although it's not airing now have you seen Hidamari Sketch and Aria? If not, go watch them.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Sсott

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia is a high school romance but with added elements like horror and mystery -- although not much like Another. There might be hints of a love triangle. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san might be grouped in a school/romance genre; however, it has sci-fi and parody as genres and the romance part is a little vague and minimal at the moment. Sankrea is another; however, zombies are a major element of the show, but there definitely is a romance/school theme. You could try Tsuritama; it looks like a slice of life mixed sci-fi. Not quite sure yet.

Tomorrow, Hyouka should be released and it looks like a romance/slice of life/school anime.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I didn't mention the ones with horror elements but I guess they might be ok, Ghost one started better than Zombie imo. Both were pretty to look at though design wise.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Sсott

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
I didn't mention the ones with horror elements but I guess they might be ok, Ghost one started better than Zombie imo. Both were pretty to look at though design wise.
I agree. Did you watch the second episode of Sankrea? I was seriously disturbed by the premise. It ticked me off.

Someone recommended I watch Steins;Gate. I know of its overwhelming popularity, but when I saw it is a side story of Chaos;Head which I utterly loathed, I wasn't too sure about it. Is it worth the watch?
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I haven't yet but I was somewhat spoiled
Spoiler:
child abuse or something?
anyway I'll watch that later.

As for S;G, the source material was by the same game producers and they are set in the same universe. No connections between the two bar a couple of references. I didn't like S;G as much as some people but story and execution of the story was far better than C;H. Certainly one of the better things to air in the last year or 2.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Sсott

Spoiler:
Yup, and more. A creepy father who exploits and molests his daughter by taking inappropriate photos of her. He is not particularly abusive as in physically but he has a disturbing obsessive nature toward his daughter.

Well, despite that ^, I was impressed with the adaption. They portrayed every detail exactly as in the manga with even more detailing and scenes.

Ah, thank you. I might watch it if I have time before my final exams.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Sounds like a charming man.

Just looked at it's MAL rating....3rd highest rating on the site ahead of titles like LotGH and Clannad AS....wow. Yeah, if you do decide to watch it don't expect the 3rd best anime of all time.

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sсott

I watched the first episode of S;G, and I can say that I was a little lost but it definitely was interesting, to say the least. I might have to put it on-hold for now and come back to it later when I am not watching a lot of shows at once.

So, I saw this new anime that apparently just aired called Shining Hearts [something-something]. It was rather weird, and all about bread. Dropped.
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I decided not to even bother with that, DEEN + uninteresting looking plot does not sound good.

Just watched the second episode of Sankarea, certainly not the comedy I was expecting. Perhaps the darker stuff is over now though, still as long as the quality doesn't drop off too much I'll enjoy this series.

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sсott

Yes, I hope that's over. It bothered to see a sudden shift in 'moods' in the anime. Ranko is growing on me; I can't see her as one of the main cast, but I'm guessing she likes Chihiro, too.

Oh, and I forgot about Zetman. Do you believe the pacing? My god, the anime is just fast-forwarding the manga's plot. The artwork is good, the fighting scenes are okay, and the characters (except Kouga) are likeable, but I can't believe how much of the plot they are altering/skipping, and this is just after reading the first couple of chapters of the manga. I like superhero-related shows. I really do. I am trying to assume the anime is a side story or a fast-forwarded version of the manga, so I wouldn't drop it.
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch or read Zetman, will probably read and then watch if I like it.

Can't say I have much of an opinion on the Sanka cast yet, don't dislike anyone which is a good start.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links