The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
I just picked up the Dororo omnibus from Waterstones, anyone here read this? looks pretty awesome.
I've been thinking about this for a while since my friend was talking about it and it sounded pretty interesting, but never got round to it... Very indifferent on the idea at the moment tbh :x Would you recommend it after having purchased it?
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Hmmm....long time since I posted here.....might as well pipe in seeing as I'm here.

Ano Natsu de Matteru
Onegai Teacher
Onegai Twins
Da Capo (All seasons)

R+V - Ah, my first and only true love.

Anyone think anime isn't how it was back in the day? Kind of a let down.
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Just adding this little tidbit of information to the chat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malefic...ve-action_film

Angelina Jolie is playing Maleficent in an upcoming film about, well, Maleficent. Any thoughts? I don't know anything specific about the plot, but god, this has been in the back of my mind for a couple of years, so I'm excited.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
My first thought is 'who is Maleficent again?'
My second thought is "OH MY FREAKING GOD AN ANGELINA JOLIE MOVIE I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED"
My third thought is 'is there no costume or hairstyle in which Angelina does not look amazing?'

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I can't say yet as Dororo was a random buy. Will comment when I read it in the coming weeks.

Trends have changed in anime but I don't think it's gotten worse. This currently airing season is proof of that, there area at least 6 or 7 good looking shows.

And as for the shows you mentioned, I didn't like Ano Natsu de Matteru and well R+V is R+V (it's better as an average fighting shounen than it ever was as a comedy/harem/whatever.....yeah I'm not counting it as a fighting shounen before as Moka transforming and kicking someone isn't really a fight)

Also I've loved some recent shows in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Tatami Galaxy and Nichijou. Anime is fine right now.

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

I really don't think animes getting worse or anything, I just think since there is so much now it could be a bit harder to find the ones you like the a lot but theres definitely been some fantastic ones in the last 2 years.

FMA:B is fantastic I can not agree more on that.

Recently I've started watching angel beats and its a fairly new anime (I think) and I think it's great so far! Definitely worth watching.

Is anyone up on Soul Eater? I finished it on the weekend and enjoyed it but I hope they remake it like they did with FMA with the second installment following the manga more closely, so it may be a while away but I still think it'd be great if they did, what do you think about that possibility?
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

My main qualm is the current trend for making a 11 - 13 episode series with no closure. I know you can sometimes go and continue on with the manga but there are times you can't, very annoying.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Haven't seen much of the new anime, just some PV's, so I admit, too harsh of a judgement on my part.

ANdM, is....pretty......well, it's okay. Not bad per say, but not good. Wavering around the middle.

Going to be starting the 'Shana' series, anyone have any input on how they liked it?

Also, anyone read Dogs Bullet and Carnage? (?)
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:21 PM
CarefulWetPaint
Time to Say Goodbye
Community Supporter

Yeah it is a bit sad that they arent going past 20 episodes for a season anymore I miss the 24-25 episode seasons. More content is more better! (Haha.)
I wonder what the reason for this trend is though.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

It's odd, back in the 70s and 80s it was the normal thing for a series to run a for a year. It's gotten less and less ever since.

I guess it's down to less money being in the industry. People will pay stupidly high prices for 4 volumes of the same series but not 16.

As for Shana. I din't hate the first series, the second was boring and the 3rd was the worst anime I've completed. I did watch the first series years ago so I would probably not like it now. If you want a similar but better series, in my opinion you should go for index. Much more punching women in the face and Misaka is a much more bearable tsundere.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Seen Index. And all related anime. About three times. Haha. I need a life. At least I'm volunteering at my local zoo now.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Fair enough. I could still give you over 400 things better to watch than Shana though.

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Okay, I'm all ears! Haha. Just kidding.

Got anything that falls into 'sudden girlfriend appearance' and/or harem/ecchi. Haven't seen a good ecchi in a while.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Chobits is the only show in that genre I really love.

Old June 20th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Absol
Community Supporter

I am currently into bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch, and Linkin Park. I would definitely like to find more bands like them since I've already listened to every one of their songs and I need something new. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

From what I've read, it has the lady who played Umbridge in the Harry Potter movies (I can't remember her name as of this instant, something Staunton) in it as well, so I wonder if Maleficent will contain a big bunch of evil women as well as Jolie herself. I sure hope so!
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:23 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Imelda Staunton's currently playing Mrs Lovett in a West End production of the Sweeney Todd musical; apparently she's been called 'deliciously evil'!
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:57 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Well she was deliciously evil in Harry Potter as well; perhaps she's been typecast lol

Old June 21st, 2012, 04:19 AM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

The movie has Elle Fanning.
Okay, bye! Peace out! It was fun being excited with you all! Party's over! Go home!
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Esper

There must be at least a dozen other actresses who could play Maleficent better than Jolie. /notafan

But Imelda Staunton, now that makes me want to see it. Don't care what part she plays, I'm sure it will be good.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf
There must be at least a dozen other actresses who could play Maleficent better than Jolie. /notafan
ANGELINA JOLIE IS AN ACADEMY-AWARD WINNING ACTRESS HOW DARE Y--

You're right. We never could have a movie night together. It would end in one of us with our throat torn out

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Esper

I would be throwing popcorn at you within 15 minutes, but I would make sure it's unbuttered because throwing buttered popcorn is just uncouth.

Actually, I prefer unbuttered popcorn when I watch movies. I have to stop and wash my hands halfway through if I don't.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Popcorn needs to be salty otherwise I will not eat it is the dicta I should get tattooed on my stomach, I just find unsalted popcorn bland and tasteless and I do not like it at all. I don't care about whether it's buttered or not, but as long as its not heavily buttered and all I can taste is butter and I'm not trying to taste the world without butter then it's fine. But, I need salt.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Popcorn must be chicken salty! Chicken popcorn ftw! All others = no thanks.

I'm not much of a fan of popcorn anyway, and I never eat it while I'm at the movies or even watching a movie at home. I just eat candy and drink slushies

I have IMDb alerts on my phone, and just as I was typing this post another one came through: "New Trailer: Hotel Transylvania - Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez."

I already know this is a movie I will never ever see. I mean, I guess it's good for Adam Sandler that he keeps trying. It's good for him to get out of the house, you know? But every single thing he does is a miserable failure of the cinematic experience and I kinda wish he'd stop now

Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:02 AM
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg in the same movie? Is Hollywood trying to make me cringe like never before? I know I won't see it but I imagine I'll be seeing trailers on TV and those are going to PISS ME OFF. After Jack and Jill, it's amazing that this epitome of bad acting, Adam Sandler, keeps getting work. Not to mention Samberg, who was the unfunniest member of SNL in my 'humble' opinion. Yeah, I'm done.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links