The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Pokémon UnovaHGSS
Rom info:
Hack of: Pokémon SoulSilver (USA) (HeartGold will be supported at a later date)
Language: English
Current Version: Alpha v1.1 (goes up to Ilex Forest)
Last Updated: 10th April, 2012

Summary
UnovaHGSS is a hack of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver that integrates the new fifth generation Pokémon from Black and White into the game. The new Pokémon are not meant to replace the original 251, rather, my intention is to have them alongside the original Pokémon. Not all Pokémon will be included in this hack – very few third and fourth generation Pokémon appear. To include the Unovian Pokémon, I had to replace existing Pokémon, so most third and fourth gen Pokémon are gone. This is my first actual hack, so I’m still new at this.

The battle sprites for the new Pokémon are placeholders, simply taken from Black/White and put into the game until I create original sprites for them. All but a few overworld sprites for the new Pokémon were created through a community endeavor over at DeviantArt; I made a few myself, notably the larger Golurk sprite. Shiny Pokémon are also fully supported, in-battle and overworld.

Features:
-Every Pokémon from Unova will be obtainable in this game, alongside every first and second generation Pokémon! Some third and fourth generation Pokémon also available!
-All Unovian Pokémon will follow you around for the first time!
-Slightly increased difficulty – stronger trainers, wild Pokémon, etc.
-More features will be added in future versions

FAQ:
Spoiler:

Q: How long is this first Alpha release?
A: This release will be playable up to and including the 2nd Gym. I’ve hired a security guard to make sure you don’t delve into places I’ve not edited yet.

Q: Will we travel to Unova?
A: No, the name UnovaHGSS stems from the Unovian Pokémon being in HGSS. Unova will not be in this game, just Johto and Kanto, like the original games.

Q: Are there fifth generation abilities/moves in the game?
A: No, not yet. Moves will almost certainly be put into the game at a later date. Abilities, I’m not entirely sure. Depends on whether or not I can do it – if I can, it will be done, sometime.

Q: How about the new Pokémon? Are they just sprite replacements, or are the stats actually changed?
A: Every new Pokémon has their true stats from Black/White. Their movesets are the same as well, barring any new moves introduced in the new games. Those moves are for the most part replaced by other, still relevant moves (eg. – Ember replaces Incinerate in a Pokémon’s moveset for now). The only things that are not changed about a Pokémon’s stats are their height/weight (for calculating damage for moves such as Low Kick), and simple aesthetic anomalies (such as a Pokémon’s sprite being horribly off-center in a battle, or their animations being ridiculously silly. I still need to figure out how to change that). Pokédex entries are also in the game for every Pokémon, though the order for the Pokédex is obviously not the same as the true National Dex.

Q: Are there any crazy changes to the Pokémon, such as new types or changed types (such as Serperior being Grass/Dragon)?
A: While I have nothing against new types or changing a Pokémon’s type in a hack, I have done nothing of the sort in this hack. All Pokémon retain their Arceus God Gamefreak-given stats.

Q: Do Pokémon such as Machoke and Boldore still require trading, or otherwise impossible methods as a single player, to evolve?
A: No – I have changed evolution requirements for any Pokémon such as these, though the option to evolve them through trading is still there. These edits are not final, nor do they necessarily represent what requirements will be in the final version.

Screenshots:

Videos:
(Might be loud - complete silence for a few seconds, then music starts)

Credits:
Tools used:
Spoiler:
• Hex Workshop (hex editing many things)
• CrystalTile2 (creating Pokémon Icons)
• PokeTEX (importing Pokémon overworlds)
• thenewpoketext (editing text)
• Tile Molester (creating Pokémon overworlds)
• PPRE (editing Pokémon, trainers, maps, etc)
• Kiwi (NDS file extractor)
• Pokémon DS/Pic Platinum (importing Pokémon battle sprites)
• Windows 7 Paint (creating Pokémon battle sprites)
• Windows XP Paint (retains palette of exported battle sprite image – allows me to copy and paste a new sprite into the game over the temporary sprites without worrying about palette screw-ups)
• Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (compiling Pokémon battle sprites to 8bpp)
• Xdelta (creating patch)
• DeSmuME (testing game on computer)
• Pokesav HGSS (editing save file for testing purposes)

DeviantArt community – for making all the Unova overworld sprites. Link

Chaos Rush – for his wonderful endeavor in creating resized sprites. I’m using the Reshiram and Zekrom in the game for now - Link

Poryhack – for pointing me in the right direction for hex editing Pokémon icon palettes (whenever I learn how, I will make a program that will make editing the icons and palettes easier than hex editing them). Also thanks to Poryhack and the Project Pokémon community for creating a list of the HGSS File system - Link

Stratocaster - for creating a guide on how to change every aspect of a Pokémon. This hack would not have happened without it - Link

PokeCommunity – for giving me the desire to hack Pokémon games back in 2007 when I knew even less than I do now

MediaFire – for continuing its services through this stupid anti-piracy craze…

Bugs:
Spoiler:
- Though not really a bug, all new Pokémon (and consequently, the Pokémon that I have repositioned in the Pokédex) have incorrect battle animations, offsets, and cries. These will hopefully be fixed in a future release. Their sprites are also temporary – these will be changed in a future release.
- A couple overworlds may have incorrect shiny colors – if you find any, just let me know. Though I didn’t find any through much testing, other graphical errors may exist – let me know!
- As this is HGSS, random freezing may occur if played on the computer. This is not a fault of the hack, but of the actual game itself. Just make sure to save frequently, and you should be fine.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
- Alpha 1.1: Same as 1.0, except freezing has been fixed. Plays up to Ilex Forest - Mr. Security Guard will not let you pass, akin to Gandalf (do not be mistaken - I am the only wizard in this game!)

- Alpha 1.0: Changed ALL the things! This includes the new Pokémon, etc. Due to scripting corruption, the game will freeze whenever an overworld triggers a script. As such, this version will not be released on here… unless you really want it. It is the same as Alpha 1.1 except buggy, so there’s no point to upload it.

Downloads and Documentation:
Link to patch and xdelta (used to patch the original rom)

List of Changed Pokémon
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
itari
普通の魔法使い
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Wow, this is really impressive. It's nice to see more hacks for the 4th generation.
Great work.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:38 AM
KingDrapion
dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.

Nature: Relaxed
For a first time hack, this is really good. You have my support in this, I can't wait to see the finished product! But I hope you keep at it, as ROM hacking at this level can be exhausting and uses up a lot of time. But anyways good luck!
Also, that Golurk Over World is HUGE!

Last edited by KingDrapion; April 12th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Hacker Bisharp
Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
Wow, fantastic hack!
I really like it
This is fantastic Heart gold hack
Good work man, You have my support!

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old April 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
TheDemetrious1
Beginning Trainer

I am supporting you 100% on this hack. Love the idea and it is good to finally seeing someone producing a hack with 4th gen and the capability to have your pokemon follow you. If you need any help or beta testing contact me. Much support on completing this hack!
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
That's brilliant, the OW'S, sprites great job!

Old April 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
purin123
Beginning Trainer

A very good hack!!
I was watching tutorial video yesterday and I learned how to change the pokemon's overworld sprite (the pokemon that follows you) . It takes me a long to finished one overworld sprite~~ Therefore I did appreciate you for making lots of Unova pokemon's overworld sprite!

Last edited by purin123; April 15th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Thanks everybody! Glad to see you all enjoy it so far!

And yeah, I probably spent around 4 months on the overworld sprites alone, figuring out how to do them, and how to do them fast, but it was a labor of love.

New video, showing gender differences in overworlds, shiny overworld compatability, and large overworld sprites. Also includes complete Pokedex (except for footprints):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4sjeGXX_E
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:58 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Why replace only 3rd and 4th generation Pokémon? There are plenty of useless Pokémon in the first two generations that people hate and will almost never use anyway. For example, almost all the Pokémon on this list:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...y_Pok%C3%A9mon
You can also remove Pokémon like:
-Sunkern/Sunflora
-Dunsparce
-Stantler
-Delibird
-Corsola
-Pidgey family (Fearow and Dodrio are superior in every way)
-Rattata family (you can find lots of things better)
-Drowzee/Hypno (who uses them? ever?)
-Zubat family (seriously? we can't go through a cave seeing something more interesting?)

And then there are Pokémon only useful in competitive battling, so there's no point in putting them in a fan hack:
-Ledian
-ALL LEGENDARIES, ESPECIALLY ARCEUS (You get them all very late in the game at very high levels, and they take forever to level up. Movesets are generally terrible and they're pretty much only useful in wifi battles, where they're usually banned!)
-Shuckle (even if it's a wall, its base HP and speed are terrible)
-Anything that relies on Baton Pass

Just to name a few. If I were to look at the National Dex I'd add another hundred to this list, half of which are from the first two generations.

If you want to have a lot of legendaries in this game, what I recommend is putting half of them as event legendaries or catchable in the wild relatively early in the game. Also tweak the catch rate so they're more catchable (this early), and tweak their exp. growth so they grow faster. That way they'll actually be useful. Otherwise, most people will go through this game like they do in regular games, with the same 3 or 4 Pokémon they caught early on plus one or two HM slaves. I mean, if they want HM slaves so badly, why not give them two really early so they don't have to constantly switch around?

One huge problem I consistently see with hard hacks is how fast levels go up from route to route, and how slow your Pokémon grow in comparison. It really makes no sense to level grind for several hours after every Gym battle. And it makes even less sense to triumph over a Gym leader and so many Trainers, only to get whited out by wild Pokémon in the next map. Also, would you rather level grind with the same Pokémon that you had a few minutes ago, or catch from the wild these new untrained Pokémon that are 10 levels higher? Then you still have to grind them another 5-6 levels EACH if you want to have a chance of winning. I played Blaze Black and Bloody Diamond, and had this dilemma after every Gym battle on both.

What are some features I'd like to see changed in a hack?
-Most of the hard to find, useful TM's (like Brick Break) are only obtainable once per game.
-Move tutors can only be used once.
-More stones
-Many items (heart scales...) are hard to find and require massive treasure grinding. That just becomes a waste of time. If you want your Charizard to learn Heat Wave, why not just learn it faster? It's not fun when you have to spend hours and hours in a game to grind and get the exact right combination of things TO USE IN COMPETITIVE BATTLING in a game where no competitive battling will take place.
-Exp. growth faster (grinding is always a pain, and the least tedious games tend to be the ones that require little grinding or the characters level up quickly)

Before you say anything about the Battle Frontier, they're much easier to beat than the people who read Smogon and hang out on Shoddy Battle all day.

Last edited by InMooseWeTrust; April 25th, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
Spoiler:
Why replace only 3rd and 4th generation Pokémon? There are plenty of useless Pokémon in the first two generations that people hate and will almost never use anyway. For example, almost all the Pokémon on this list:
You can also remove Pokémon like:
-Sunkern/Sunflora
-Dunsparce
-Stantler
-Delibird
-Corsola
-Pidgey family (Fearow and Dodrio are superior in every way)
-Rattata family (you can find lots of things better)
-Drowzee/Hypno (who uses them? ever?)
-Zubat family (seriously? we can't go through a cave seeing something more interesting?)

And then there are Pokémon only useful in competitive battling, so there's no point in putting them in a fan hack:
-Ledian
-ALL LEGENDARIES, ESPECIALLY ARCEUS (You get them all very late in the game at very high levels, and they take forever to level up. Movesets are generally terrible and they're pretty much only useful in wifi battles, where they're usually banned!)
-Shuckle (even if it's a wall, its base HP and speed are terrible)
-Anything that relies on Baton Pass

Just to name a few. If I were to look at the National Dex I'd add another hundred to this list, half of which are from the first two generations.

If you want to have a lot of legendaries in this game, what I recommend is putting half of them as event legendaries or catchable in the wild relatively early in the game. Also tweak the catch rate so they're more catchable (this early), and tweak their exp. growth so they grow faster. That way they'll actually be useful. Otherwise, most people will go through this game like they do in regular games, with the same 3 or 4 Pokémon they caught early on plus one or two HM slaves. I mean, if they want HM slaves so badly, why not give them two really early so they don't have to constantly switch around?

One huge problem I consistently see with hard hacks is how fast levels go up from route to route, and how slow your Pokémon grow in comparison. It really makes no sense to level grind for several hours after every Gym battle. And it makes even less sense to triumph over a Gym leader and so many Trainers, only to get whited out by wild Pokémon in the next map. Also, would you rather level grind with the same Pokémon that you had a few minutes ago, or catch from the wild these new untrained Pokémon that are 10 levels higher? Then you still have to grind them another 5-6 levels EACH if you want to have a chance of winning. I played Blaze Black and Bloody Diamond, and had this dilemma after every Gym battle on both.

What are some features I'd like to see changed in a hack?
-Most of the hard to find, useful TM's (like Brick Break) are only obtainable once per game.
-Move tutors can only be used once.
-More stones
-Many items (heart scales...) are hard to find and require massive treasure grinding. That just becomes a waste of time. If you want your Charizard to learn Heat Wave, why not just learn it faster? It's not fun when you have to spend hours and hours in a game to grind and get the exact right combination of things TO USE IN COMPETITIVE BATTLING in a game where no competitive battling will take place.
-Exp. growth faster (grinding is always a pain, and the least tedious games tend to be the ones that require little grinding or the characters level up quickly)

Before you say anything about the Battle Frontier, they're much easier to beat than the people who read Smogon and hang out on Shoddy Battle all day.
Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it

The new Pokémon are not meant to replace the original 251, rather, my intention is to have them alongside the original Pokémon.

I'm replacing only third and fourth generation Pokemon because I want to keep the Pokemon that were originally in G/S/C in the game. I don't care about them being novelty; some 5th gen Pokemon are novelty, but I'll still keep them in.

I agree about the legendaries, but none outside the ones originally in the game will be available until the Beta release. I'll explain my planned releases later in the post. Rest assured, I have almost all of them planned out, or at least an idea about how they should be integrated into the game in a way that makes sense.

Please report here if the level curve seems too high. I'm just trying it out, and if it doesn't work, I'll put their levels back to their original ones. I just know that Johto had the weakest E4 in the series, and I wanted to make it a little stronger by a gentle curve in levels through the adventure. All things considered, the levels by the time the player reaches the E4 shouldn't be higher than 15+ the original levels, if that high.

I'm actually planning on making TMs infinite like in the 5th gen games if I can figure out how to do it. So far, I'm no sure how to do it, so that's something that's still in limbo. As of now, I don't plan to touch the move tutors. I do plan to include more stones (maybe even a new one or two if I can get it working).

I hate having to use Heart Scales to use the Move Re-learner as well, and so I'm planning on just making him usable whenever the player wants to. Any other items I can think of, I'll try to make a reasonable way for the player to get them.

The level curve is also something I put in to hopefully cut down on the amount of grinding. I haven't playtested this must (not enough time, only played through 3 times. this is a one-man hack), so I'm sort of relying on the input of others to see how that is.

I plan to release Alpha 2 by the end of May. I hope to have this playable up to and including the E4. After this release, I will have a Beta version released sometime after the release of BW2. This Beta version will NOT be compatible with any save file created with any Alpha version. This is because the Alpha version is only a playtest of the game, meant to introduce the public to the general idea, as well as receive feedback for the future version of the hack. The Beta version will include custom sprites (in the style of 4th gen, ie full back sprites) and script events. Also, if I figure out how to do so, it will have most 5th gen moves and abilities, new items, and other things I won't mention right now.
Old April 25th, 2012, 04:05 PM
HeroesAndCons

It looks excellent and I would love to play it. Only problem is, I can't for the life of me find a properly-working SS ROM

Since links are against the rules, please can you tell me what you searched on Google to find a working SS ROM?
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:44 AM
KingDrapion
dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroesAndCons View Post
It looks excellent and I would love to play it. Only problem is, I can't for the life of me find a properly-working SS ROM

Since links are against the rules, please can you tell me what you searched on Google to find a working SS ROM?
Search on youtube for a patched rom.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Beebeeson
A wild Beebeeson appeared!

Nature: Quirky
This looks awesome. Those overworld sprites are gonna take forever though, good luck with that! XD It will be nice to have Gen 5 Pokemon walking alongside the trainer, finally. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this project
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebeeson View Post
This looks awesome. Those overworld sprites are gonna take forever though, good luck with that! XD It will be nice to have Gen 5 Pokemon walking alongside the trainer, finally. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this project
I'm actually already done with all the overworld sprites (save a few that I plan on redrawing). The only graphical work that's left to be done is the custom back sprites (and possibly front sprites). Shiny colors are also already put in
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
I put things in Spoiler tags to make them easy to read.

Spoiler:
One good thing I like about Blaze Black is that they kept it fresh by changing around the Pokémon. Useless ones become more useful and have better movesets, for example. And one good thing that Pitch Black did is change a lot of the dialogue, giving at least a little bit of depth and freshness to the story. And one good thing Bloody Platinum did is change around a lot of the sprites. For example, it introduced a lot more gender differences and added shadow Pokémon.

Spoiler:
The guy who made Blaze Black got the level curve idea done reasonably well. Maybe you can ask him for some advice? He also changed around the Gyms. They all have 6 on 6, and some are singles, some doubles, some triples, some rotation, etc..

Spoiler:
HGSS doesn't use 251. It actually uses the first two generations and MOST (not all) of their later generation evolutions. Doesn't it seem quite a bit overdone, if we've all played the same "JOHTO REMAKE OF CLASSIC DAYS WITH SOME LATER GENERATION FEATURES" that have been churned out nonstop since Shiny Gold?

Spoiler:
To make the game really interesting and memorable, you really need to go above and beyond what 4th and 5th gen hackers have typically been doing. That doesn't mean you need to make any 3D maps from scratch or have 65,536 Pokémon. We've all played the same redundant stories again and again. And we've all played the same redundant 151/251/386/493/649 hard hacks where all the event legendaries are catchable and no trading is required.

Spoiler:
Your hack does have potential, but in order to truly shine, one way to start would be to eliminate or reduce a lot of the redundant bits. For example...

-Instead of TM's being reusable, why not set really high prices and make them all purchasable in marts? Same goes for move tutors. They will teach you infinite times, but they cost ¥6000 (or something like that for popular moves like elemental punches). And generally speaking, certain TM's like Double Team should be dirt cheap and others like Thunderbolt should be way more expensive.
-At the beginning, items and balls are way too expensive. Then after several Gyms and an Amulet Coin, you have more money than you will ever use.
-Pikachu should be able to learn Surf and Fly.
-Bug Pokémon need to be stronger and evole later, to make them more playable. And they need better movesets.

Spoiler:
-Potions and other healing items are quite inconsistent. Vending machine items don't appear until the first Department Store. Before that, you only have Potion and Super Potion. After that, a ¥200 Fresh Water heals as much as a ¥700 Super Potion, but the drinks require a lot of wasted minutes tapping A in front of a vending machine. Antidiotes, Burn Heals, etc. take up space and you need very few of them anyway unless you're going on a long journey, and Kanto and Johto doesn't have that many insanely long routes with no Pokémon Center. And don't get me started on herbal potions...
-Certain items like Mails are completely useless. Why not just replace them in Marts with better items? Like Stones, perhaps? That includes Sun, Moon, Oval, Shiny, Dawn, Dusk, etc..
-More in-game trades (easy with scripts, just use an empty NPC that says something useless like "I use a Wingull to deliver mail!"
-"Yo! Champ in making! I'm going to tell you something you already know anyway about this Gym!"
-Better shiny ratio. Now you have what, like 1 in 8196 chance? Most people will go through an entire round not seeing ONE. And if the one they see explodes or runs away... How about 1 in 128? 1% of Pokémon being albino-equivalents makes more sense as this is what you see in the wild.
-Shiny sprites could be more than just simple palette swaps. Many are just slightly lighter or darker, or have an ugly green color that makes them not worth looking at.

Spoiler:
-TOO MANY EVERSTONES!!! Has anyone else noticed this?
-"TRAINER TIPS: Press START to open the menu!" How about some real tips about this hack, like how certain Pokémon evolve, or a certain thing that you have to remember to do in this route/city?
-How about NPC's saying things that are useful, funny, thought-provoking (like proverbs that relate to Pokémon in some way), or downright outrageous?
-More in-game trades, with better options. Again, with scripts.
-Some way of joking/****ing with players. It can be good if you add tricks and riddles here and there, but it can be overdone (like the Mario hacks with invisible blocks everywhere).
-Berry growing is too tedious, especially in Johto and Unova. Why not make berries (the useful ones, like Leppa and Sitrus) available in Marts for high prices? We only get like like 6 Ethers and 3 Max Ethers in the whole playthrough, but Leppa Berry can be grown? Does that seem reasonable?

Spoiler:
-PP Up and Rare Candy should be in Marts (really high prices). Enough said.
-Hidden items. Just make them visible. Itemfinder is a waste of a Select button (which is better reserved for Super Rod or Bicycle).
-Balls more interesting and varied. Most are Poké Ball but more expensive and only useful in certain specific conditions (like raising happiness).
-Rare healing items like Ragecandybar, Lava Cookie, etc. more widely available and more useful.
-New type combinations. With the physical/special split, Gyarados being Water/Flying is totally useless because it has high physical attack but learns mostly special moves. And it's not a Dragon. Water/Dragon would give it more dignity. Kingdra is vastly superior because it's Water/Dragon and has Special stats, and learns mostly Special attacks.
-Better held items on wild Pokémon, with some held items being more common. One really good way of annoying legendary catchers is to equip some of them with Sitrus Berry. Or how about Gym leaders with Pokémon holding berries that weaken certain super-effective moves? Even better: Gym Pokémon holding Leftovers!
-New type combinations to make Pokémon more interesting/powerful. Butterfree as Bug/Psychic. Charizard as Fire/Dragon. Aerodactyl as Rock/Dragon (that would be terrifying to face). Too many dragons are 4x weak to ice (Kingdra has no weakness except to Dragon, which, again, makes it better than Gyarados). Look at how many weaknesses Celebi and Paras have...

Spoiler:
-Scizor has the same base stat total as Scyther. And I think Scizor has more weaknesses.
-Several Pokémon in the first two generations have the exact same Cry, some unaltered and others have slight pitch differences. Has anybody figured out how to hack this in HGSS?
-Moomoo milk purchasable (Mart layout, not just buying one at a time) in Marts.
-Decapitalize the Pokémon names. This has been bothering me in the first four generations, but how many hackers are willing to touch it?
-It seems really elementary when people forget to add the "é" in custom dialogue they write.

Spoiler:
If you look here, these are all of the item indices in Generation IV. As you can see, you can simply the game by a huge amount by getting rid of the majority of them:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...neration_IV%29

Spoiler:
*I'm not sure how good the hack scripting community has gotten in HGSS, but it's worth considering in later versions of your hack.

And in case you were wondering, if you're interested, YES. I would like to help you implement some of these things in your hack.

Last edited by InMooseWeTrust; April 27th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
I put things in Spoiler tags to make them easy to read.

Spoiler:
For now, I want to keep the stats of the Pokemon the same as the official ones. But I do plan on making some new dialogue, as well as more gender differences in sprites.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I agree. This will be something that'll come closer to being perfect with time, but I'll check out the rosters in the hack and see what I can do to make it better.

Spoiler:
Yeah haha, but it's ok for right now. I'm going to make all the original Pokemon's new evolutions available as well. I will be adding some fakemon in, BUT I'm not going to shove them down the player's throat. Planning for them to just be easter eggs for the most part. Going to put in a couple new fossil Pokemon, and an evolution or two of existing Pokemon that I think would have fit in the time period.. but that's for later

Spoiler:
I'm not ready to talk about anything yet, but I do have plans on doing something not seen in any 4th or 5th gen hack as far as I'm aware (assuming I can successfully learn scripting, and so far, it's going well). This stuff will appear in the Beta version however, so the next release (Alpha 2) won't have anything new other than being playable up to the E4. The Alpha is just to give people an idea of the game. I'm planning on slightly changing some story elements, and if time/life/PPRE allows, huge changes to the story.

Spoiler:
All awesome ideas! I'm definitely making Pikachu learn Surf and Fly, though the bugs I'm keeping as they are, for now. Maybe in future Beta versions when I start changing more things.

Spoiler:
Great ideas, plus if it's possible, I'm going to replace the Mail in order to make new items. But that requires more testing and experimentation.
I can't figure out how the trades are scripted, unless I'm missing something. But that's something I want to include if I figure out how to do it.
Same with the shiny rate, if I find out how to increase it, I'm definitely making it better. And I agree about the shiny colors. I'm changing some to make them more interesting.

Spoiler:
I'm going to make some Youngster, somewhere, say "My Pokemon will Roggenrola your Sawks!"
And other funny/serious dialogue change, that's something I'm writing on the side for future implementation in the Beta version

Spoiler:
Again, for now the Pokemon's stats will stay the same. But everything else is stuff I want to change

Spoiler:
-I haven't tried changing cries yet, but I want to put the 5th gen cries in the game, so if that works, I'll attempt at making some custom cries for repeated ones (such as Charizard and Rhyhorn). Decapitalizing the names is actually quite simple. I forgot about it to be honest, it's just a simple find+replace in a text editor, so that's going to be in the next version. And yeah, I think the é is important as well, so unless I slip up and miss one, it'll be in.

Spoiler:
Yeah, some I'm removing, namely the Incenses (since I removed the baby Pokemon).

Spoiler:
Thanks for the help! :D

This semester will be over in a couple weeks, and I'm going to have 2 months off to be able to work on the hack, so expect Alpha 2 by the end of May
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

I have final exams next week and then I'm done. Do you want some help?

And you can PM me if you have any requests or anything like that.

This has some info on hex data for shinies. And it's a 8/65536 (so 1/8192, not 8196) chance.

What encoding does HGSS use? You said it would just be a simple text edit so I looked in a hex editor and I can't find any common text strings like Pokémon names. Am I using the wrong encyrpted/decrypted ROM?

Has anyone figured out how to add fakemon to 4th gen?

How about one of these for a cry replacement?
http://www.hark.com/collections/rprvsykqfh-pikachu
Or another thing somebody could do is hack Stadium 1 and 2 somehow and rip those cries.

Last edited by InMooseWeTrust; April 27th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:43 AM
fallkitten
Running in the Shadows

Nature: Brave
Looks trully amazing*__* Good luck to complete it
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:39 AM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
I have final exams next week and then I'm done. Do you want some help?

And you can PM me if you have any requests or anything like that.

This has some info on hex data for shinies. And it's a 8/65536 (so 1/8192, not 8196) chance.

What encoding does HGSS use? You said it would just be a simple text edit so I looked in a hex editor and I can't find any common text strings like Pokémon names. Am I using the wrong encyrpted/decrypted ROM?

Has anyone figured out how to add fakemon to 4th gen?

How about one of these for a cry replacement?
http://www.hark.com/collections/rprvsykqfh-pikachu
Or another thing somebody could do is hack Stadium 1 and 2 somehow and rip those cries.
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if I need anything!
There's a program (thenewpoketex) that lets me open all the text in the game and edit it in Notepad, and I can just do a Find+Replace for all their names. And if those cries will fit into the game (I have no knowledge on how the roms handle sound files yet), I'd like to use those. And about the fakemon, well, each Unova Pokemon is technically a fakemon in Gen 4, so I suppose I've figured out how to put them in.

And to everyone who's played so far, and will play in the future, regarding the next release... I don't know whether to release an Alpha 2, or just wait until I get much closer to the hack's completion.

This Alpha was only meant as a playtest for the general public to showcase all I've done with putting Unova Pokemon in the game, and more importantly, to get feedback about the slightly higher level curve to see if it's too much, or too little. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. If I do release another Alpha, it'll still be for testing purposes only, such as testing the difficulty and ironing out bugs, as all that will be changed will be the wild Pokemon and Trainer rosters, and not much else really. I'm working on implementing a new story into my hack (which will, among other things, also include a reason for the sudden appearance of non-native Unova Pokemon :o ), and this will not be in any Alpha. Any newer version after the Alphas won't be compatible with previous saves, which is why I'm hesitant to release another Alpha, lest players get really far into the game and become annoyed that they'll have to start over What do you all think?

Last edited by ascension7; May 29th, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
davel777
Beginning Trainer

Why can't I Find any Gen 5 Pokemon! Are the starters still Cyndaquill, Totodile, and Chikorita because Even if I patched it, it's still them.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel777 View Post
Why can't I Find any Gen 5 Pokemon! Are the starters still Cyndaquill, Totodile, and Chikorita because Even if I patched it, it's still them.
Yeah they're still the starters. There should be gen 5 pokemon available in the wild in each area.
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
davel777
Beginning Trainer

And I still didn't find any gen 5 pokemon in here . BTW thank you anyways

Can It be changed if I Pokesav it?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by davel777; June 1st, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
And I still didn't find any gen 5 pokemon in here . BTW thank you anyways

Can It be changed if I Pokesav it?
Yep. You can use the list of Pokemon from the first post, to get any certain Pokemon. For example, I replaced Dialga and Palkia with Reshiram and Zekrom, respectively. Remember, all shiny forms are in the game too (my favorite is Reshiram, because it was pretty difficult to get working correctly haha)

Are you trying to patch HeartGold? If so, this only works with SoulSilver for the moment. Once I progress further, I'll make it for both versions.

After patching, is the rom around 120 MB? It should be smaller than the original SoulSilver rom.
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
davel777
Beginning Trainer

The rom is soul silver but the save game is Heart gold..

Old June 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
ascension7
Creator of UnovaHGSS

Quote:
The rom is soul silver but the save game is Heart gold..
The save file is probably compatible between games, but do you mean you're using a save file created by the original game and not the hack?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links