• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Point Above the Clouds (Flying-Type Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psystar63

☆ || [The Wandering Star] || ☆
Years
tumblr_m7xpbsFaM81r8xu0yo1_1280.png

tumblr_m7xqo5IkNK1r8xu0yo1_1280.png

Username:
Nickname:
Favorite Pokemon:
Favorite Move:
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name:
Answer to the topic (you only have to answer one):
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? YES/NO

tumblr_m7xs5aBPCF1r8xu0yo1_1280.png

1) Spearow/Fearow or Pidgey/Pideotto/Pidgeot? Why?
2) Which generation had the best Flying-Types?
3) Who's your favourite Flying-type Gym Leader: Falkner, Winona or Skyla? Why? If they had to battle each other, who would be the best?
4) Which of the starter bird lines is your favourite and why?

5) Did anyone else notice that the size of Birds like Pidgeot and Fearow vary dramatically between the games and anime? Like in Colosseum, I had both of those and they were like half my height but in the anime (from what I remember of it) These birds could swoop down and pick up Ash easily. Thoughts?
6) Your best and worst experiences with Birds in battle, both metagame and competitive?
7) Which Flying-type has the best shiny sprite?

tumblr_m7xrgwm2HJ1r8xu0yo1_1280.png

-Snowdrop
225.gif

-Olli97
016.gif

-Sector Revenge
227.gif

-Avishka
icon628.gif

TwilightBlade
492.gif

-Mentalii
145.gif

-Megamasher3
icon567.gif

-Rainbow Arcanine
Ani334MS.png

-ShinyUmbreon189
dpiconani164.gif

(New Owner) -Psystar63
dpiconani144.gif

-Formula380
dpiconani169.gif

-Hikari10
dpiconani468.gif

-Seraphimon-sama
dpiconani398.gif

-Umbr30n
dpiconani250.gif

-SummerSkies
dpiconani018.gif

tumblr_m7xtftm5eq1r8xu0yo1_1280.png

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Username: Olli97
Nickname: Olli
Favorite Pokemon: PIDGEY OMG!
Favorite Move: Aerial Ace, it has saved me so many times, I don't even know.
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: "Pidgey the Pidgey" the Pidgey :>
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? Yes

Spearow/Fearow or Pidgey/Pideotto/Pidgeot? Why?

Though I do like Spearow's aggressive nature, the Pidgey line overshines that by so much. I've pretty much always loved Pidgey, ever since the first playthrough of Blue that I actually remember. It was the first Pokémon that I ever caught and fully raised apart from my starter, and just that gave me so many reasons to love. Though it may not be that strong in comparison to the other starter birds, I've always love it for its simple yet stunning design, as well as the moves it learn. This may all be because my nostalgia goggles are set a bit too tight, though I'm sure I'm not the only Pokéfan who has taken a nostalgia filled liking to Pidgey.

Spearow on the other hand, apart from liking its concept, I don't really like it at all. I just never found it as a Pokémon I'd ever like to be part of my main team, and thus I've never really trained one. I do remember that I once borrowed my Leaf Green out to a friend, and then he ended up wasting my Master Ball on a Fearow because someone told him it was a fourth bird to the legendary trio. Oh believe me I was mad, though yeah. The Spearow line has never been anything I've liked, and I probably never will.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Username: Sector Revenge
Favorite Pokemon: Skarmory, Lugia
Favorite Move: By far its Aeroblast. Doesn't get anymore real than that!
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Falco the Skarmory!
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? YES

Topic: Pidgey family vs Spearow family
Pidgey family, I've really only used the Pidgey family, never really focused on the Spearow family. I think Pidgeot is a lot easier to train and battle with than Fearow, though both of their designs are just really good.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Might as well fill it out xD

Username: Snowdrop
Nickname: Skitters
Favorite Pokemon: You know, I used to really love Mandibuzz but I'm thinking Delibird now. It's just so cute <3
Favorite Move: Sky Attack. However, only in the case of Pokemon Colosseum, Air Cutter because it looks so cool when used.
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Delibird and her name shall be Merri <3
Answer to the topic: I think they're both pretty cool... I guess I'll go with Fearow's. As the final evolution, Fearow just looks so menacing. This is really close though.

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Username: Avishka
Nickname: Avi
Favorite Pokemon: Lugia
Favorite Move: Aerial Ace
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: brave the Braviary :P :P
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? yes why not?
Answer to the topic:
Pidgey family vs Spearow family
i like the pidgey family bcuz it has a better design than the spearow line and i love the GEN 1 <3 <3
391980.jpg

Snowdrop

Years
Add-diddly-added! Nice picture post by the way :D And your comment gave me an idea for a new topic: Which Generation has the best Flying-Types? Personally, I think either Hoenn (for Salamence, Altaria, Swellow, TROPIUS <3, etc.) and probably Johto.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Username: TwilightBlade
Nickname: Blade
Favorite Pokemon: Articuno and Altaria are lovely birds
Favorite Move: Aeroblast, the definition of cool
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Skymin (can I have it?)
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? No thank you.

I've used Pidgeot in my team several times... I've never used a Fearow! I dunno, Fearow looks okay but it isn't for me. It's kinda thin and not majestic enough to carry my butt around in the sky. :(

Which Generation has the best Flying-Types?
Arghhh can't decide if I love the Kanto bird trio or Lugia&Ho-oh more... But then there's Staraptor, Togekiss, Gliscor, Yanmega, and Skymin in Sinnoh! GUH.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

Well it has taken kind of a turn over the generations, so it's kinda hard to say. I personally prefer second generation due to Ho-oh, Lugia and Skarmory, though looking at the journey, I think the fourth generation has the best by far. Pokémon like Staraptor and Drifblim whose pre-evolutions you could get pretty early in the game, are both pretty strong, Staraptor being the best starter bird by far, and they would both serve as great Flying types for your team, as well as with all the other strong Flying type Pokémon you can find across the game. So with all that, I'd probably have to say Sinnoh, since Johto just didn't have enough, and the other generations weren't really anything notable to me.

megamasher3

Quizzical Enthusiast
Years
Username: Megamasher3 (whatthechuck3)
Nickname: Chuck
Favorite Pokemon: Archeops (yeah its 5th gen...sue me)
Favorite Move: Acrobatics (w/o an item, its a beast of a move)
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name: Malcolm the Archeops
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club? Yes I would

I've gotta be honest, I'm more of a Fearow person...Now hear me out, when I first started playing way back in the days of Red and Blue in 1998 I was wholly a Pidgey kinda guy. Never even touched a Spearow except to trade it to that guy in Vermillion City for Farfetch'd's pokedex data. However, as the years have gone by...I've sort of switched over into the other camp. As far as the beginner birds go, Fearow is a beast! It's super fast and has awesome attack...plus Pidgeot NEVER gets a move that Fearow can't learn as powerful as Drill Peck. Sorry, but points go to Fearow. Love ya Pidgey....just not as much :P

Once again, I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say Gen V...I'm sorry, but there are some cool flying types in Gen V. When I first saw the pokemon designs for 5th gen, I had the sane typical reaction as the majority of pokemon fans (they have since grown on me, however). But, I never once doubted or scorned the designs of any of the flying types. Woobat is unbelievably adorable, Braivary is awesome, Swanna's so elegant, and Archeops is my new favorite pokemon of all time! (I'm a dinosaur fanatic...so...). In second place, though, I do have to give my respect to Gen 1...the birds in that game are so iconic and synonymous with the franchise as a whole.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Nice club, I love the design !

Username:
Mentalii
Favorite http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285475#
Pokémon: Zapdos <3
Favorite Move:
Aerial Ace
Partner Pokemon and Pokemon's name:
Electhor the Zapdos
Would you like to be notified when new features, games, and competitions are added to the club?
Yes of course !

The first generation. It has the legendary bird trio, Pidgey's and Spearow's family, the incredible Gyarados... All my favourite flying Pokémon are from the first gen !

Mentalii

Back
Years
Who's your favourite Flying-type Gym Leader: Falkner, Winona or Skyla? Why? If they had to battle each other, who would be the best?

Snowdrop

Years
Add-diddly-added! I've never played against Winona. Let's check out who is on her team...

Okay, I'm going with Winona. Falkner was weaker than a dead gnat. Skyla might put up a good fight against her though. Overall I think Winona's team would win in the end.

megamasher3

Quizzical Enthusiast
Years
Wow, that's a good question...Team wise, I'm gonna have to go with Winona. She has a really good spread...plus, I'm a huge fan of Tropius. However, I have always thought Falkner was really cool. I remember as a kid always wishing that there was a flying type gymleader (and when playing pokemon with my elementary school friends I often pretended to be one, lol), so having the first gym leader of GSC being a flying type user was pretty darn awesome. Plus I love his storyline, always wanting to live up to his father's image. And his team does get better in the HGSS post game...so there ya go. Falkner for Stlye, Winona for Substance (sorry Skyla :()

Mentalii

Back
Years
Who's your favourite Flying-type Gym Leader: Falkner, Winona or Skyla? Why? If they had to battle each other, who would be the best?

Falkner all the way ! He's one of the cutest gym leader to my mind. There are very beautiful fanarts of him. Then I love his personnality in the manga. He's an interesting character. And, anyway I particularly like Johto Gym Leaders.
However, I believe the strongest would be Winona. I think Skyla's team pretty weak, and in the game she was the easiest for me to beat out of the three. And, if they had to battle each other with their World Tournament's team, Winona would win to my mind. Her team's seems to be the toughest.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Name : Rainbow Arcanine
Nickname : Rainbow
Favourite Pokemon : Altaria, all the way xD!
Favourite Move : Fly, convenient in and out of battle.
Partner Pokemon : Aerial the Altaria
What generation has the best flying types? : Generation III, there are some amazing ones out there including Altaria and Salamence.
Would you like to receive updates when there are new features,events and competitions are added to the club? : Of course!

Snowdrop

Years
Added you after a long time, Rainbow xP

Time for yet another new topic!

Competitively, which Flying-Type has served you the best and which one has served you the worst?

Mentalii

Back
Years
Competitively, which Flying-Type has served you the best and which one has served you the worst?

Zapdos was the most useful flying-type competitively. Each time I'm building a strategy team, I choose it. I love its double type, the best combination that could have a flying type to my mind.
Then, the one that served me the worst was Noctowl. I had the memory of a strong flying type from Silver version, but in Soul Silver it was very weak. Well, I didn't expect it to be the best neither, but I didn't think it would be that bad for strategy :/ Despite this fact, it remains one of my favourite flying type Pokémon anyway, nostalgia thinks for me :P

Snowdrop

Years
I don't fight competitively, so within the metagames I'd say Salamance was actually both my best and worst fighter for Gale of Darkness. She could destroy opponents with her monstrous attack stat, but if there was an Ice Type on the other team... bam. Gone in a second. I should've withdrawn her more :<

megamasher3

Quizzical Enthusiast
Years
Well I dabble in the competitive curcuit (emphasis on dabble), however I don't really use flying types when I compete...(I usually go for weather strategies and flying types don't do so well in those, outside of legendaries, and I don't like to compete with them). However, in game I'd say the bird that benefited me the best would have to be a toss up between Zapdos (thanks Mentalii lol) and Archeops. Zapdos's typing is killer, and helped me sweep against many an elite 4 member in RYB and GSC. Archeops, however, has done the same for me in the Gen 5 games (so long as I never let it get below half health, but with its speed and attack power that was never really a problem).

Hey, snowy, I got an idea...why don't we have a little contest (just for fun). I'm working on a fan game, and while Im not a really great artist, I do like having to design my own pokemon...Why don't we see who can come up with the best fan made flying type pokemon? (compelte with pokedex entry for good measure, lol). Just an idea. We don't have to. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back