The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
This is a HUGE win for the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and an 800-year precedent!!!

http://paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=645
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
A... 800 year precedent?

Your going to have to explain that.

Come play Runescape
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
A... 800 year precedent?

Your going to have to explain that.
I'm referring to the right to trial by jury, which is an 800-year common law precedent.
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I'm not sure about where the discussion lies here though this is certainly not game changing at all. As a matter of fact I never thought that this was an issue before, with a few exceptions; people who get life sentence usually deserve it (Especially murderers, 35 years is nothing for taking a human life, life sentence is the only justified punishment). Though that is not exactly my argument.

This seems like a small conflict resolution rather than a huge win, considering the issues of today are not related to this at all. Also while we are mentioning the bill of rights/constitution and such, I really think it should be noted that the documents are very old, and people think differently than today. Not only this but America is too busy putting their faces in them to see that today's problems are not all in those documents.

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The Senate can get together and vote to repeal this and yet they won't come up with anything to stop us from dropping off the fiscal cliff?

The repeal of infinite detention is miniscule to the real problems right now.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:01 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khawill View Post
I'm not sure about where the discussion lies here though this is certainly not game changing at all. As a matter of fact I never thought that this was an issue before, with a few exceptions; people who get life sentence usually deserve it (Especially murderers, 35 years is nothing for taking a human life, life sentence is the only justified punishment). Though that is not exactly my argument.

This seems like a small conflict resolution rather than a huge win, considering the issues of today are not related to this at all. Also while we are mentioning the bill of rights/constitution and such, I really think it should be noted that the documents are very old, and people think differently than today. Not only this but America is too busy putting their faces in them to see that today's problems are not all in those documents.
I think you misunderstood what is meant by indefinite detention. Basically, what was going on was that the NDAA for 2012 had authorized the federal government to detain US citizens without a trial for an indefinite amount of time. Or so I've read. Which, if true, is a violation of a citizen's constitutionally guaranteed rights, with it bypassing due process, among other things.

At least Congress has agreed on something benefiting US citizens.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Livewire
League Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario The World Champion View Post
The Senate can get together and vote to repeal this and yet they won't come up with anything to stop us from dropping off the fiscal cliff?

The repeal of infinite detention is miniscule to the real problems right now.
It's really not the Senate who needs to come up with anything, It's more on Speaker Boehner's shoulders than anybody else's right now.

While I agree that this was pretty minor compared to some other issues, it still needed to happen.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khawill View Post

Point of the act is if the government thinks you could be doing something in the name of Terrorism they can detain you without a jury.

Example if you bought a sandwich at a grocery store if the government thinks that sandwich could be connected to terrorism they can detain you the sandwich and the shop that made the sandwich permanently without any due process. This thing shouldve been challenged but repealing is good too.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links