The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Ninetales
Japan-flavoured Europhile

Send a message via AIM to Ninetales Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ninetales
So lemme get this straight... You guys have been comparing Fennekin to Eevee and Growlithe on recent pages, but there's been little mention of another fire fox Pokemon that's existed since Gen 1. *points to own username* I'm especially interested to see how Fennekin's evolutions will turn out, especially to see how they'll compare to Vulpix and Ninetales. Ninetales remains as one of my favourite Pokemon overall, so it just might disappoint me to see another fire fox rival it...

And then Froakie has two other water frogs to compare with: Politoed and Seismitoad. Oh wait, my bad--they're toads, not frogs. Well, Politoed looks like a frog despite having toad in its name... never mind. Anyway, I'd also be curious to see how Froakie's evolutions compare to those other water frogs. Especially if it became more prince-like in its evolutions. That would be awesome.

Chespin, meanwhile... Oh hey, looks like there are no Grass-type rodents yet! Chespin has officially won the prize of most original starter of the sixth generation. Of course, now I have to hope it doesn't gain a Ground-type upon evolution and become more Drilbur-like. I personally would like a Grass/Dark-typing for its evolutions, or maybe even Grass/Fighting. The latter hasn't been done before, so that should be even more interesting.

[size=1]Banner by me!
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:33 AM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
So lemme get this straight... You guys have been comparing Fennekin to Eevee and Growlithe on recent pages, but there's been little mention of another fire fox Pokemon that's existed since Gen 1. *points to own username* I'm especially interested to see how Fennekin's evolutions will turn out, especially to see how they'll compare to Vulpix and Ninetales. Ninetales remains as one of my favourite Pokemon overall, so it just might disappoint me to see another fire fox rival it...

And then Froakie has two other water frogs to compare with: Politoed and Seismitoad. Oh wait, my bad--they're toads, not frogs. Well, Politoed looks like a frog despite having toad in its name... never mind. Anyway, I'd also be curious to see how Froakie's evolutions compare to those other water frogs. Especially if it became more prince-like in its evolutions. That would be awesome.

Chespin, meanwhile... Oh hey, looks like there are no Grass-type rodents yet! Chespin has officially won the prize of most original starter of the sixth generation. Of course, now I have to hope it doesn't gain a Ground-type upon evolution and become more Drilbur-like. I personally would like a Grass/Dark-typing for its evolutions, or maybe even Grass/Fighting. The latter hasn't been done before, so that should be even more interesting.
Breloom is a Grass/Fighting type.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Ninetales
Japan-flavoured Europhile

Send a message via AIM to Ninetales Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ninetales
Gosh, I knew I was missing something... I was about to say Grass/Dark hasn't been done yet either, but then I remembered Shiftry. Okay then. Make Chespin's evolutions Grass/Electric. THAT hasn't been done yet. I'm sure of it this time. And that'll appeal to those of you comparing Chespin to existing Pikaclones as well.

[size=1]Banner by me!
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:31 AM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Quote:
Gosh, I knew I was missing something... I was about to say Grass/Dark hasn't been done yet either, but then I remembered Shiftry. Okay then. Make Chespin's evolutions Grass/Electric. THAT hasn't been done yet. I'm sure of it this time. And that'll appeal to those of you comparing Chespin to existing Pikaclones as well.
Rotom can become Electric/Grass with a lawnmower attached to it, but there is no other natural Electric/Grass or Grass/Electric mix. Chespin could just be a pure Grass-type and maybe its evolutions too but they may become Grass/Ground like Torterra.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Garoucher

Nature: Timid
The 3º evo of Fennekin will be a giant fox with boxe gloves. You will see.
But it is my favourite of the 3, Fire types FTW!

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:42 AM
*Shiny*Monster0198
~ Just chillin'

Nature: Mild
Lol, I think it's a given that a majority of people will choose fire-types.

I usually like water-types, but I don't really like Froakie, but I think Chespin looks pretty cool.

Old February 15th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoucher View Post
The 3º evo of Fennekin will be a giant fox with boxe gloves. You will see.
But it is my favourite of the 3, Fire types FTW!
A boxing fox?? But that'd make it fighting, and people don't want fighting... :(

Something majestic, though? Yes please!
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:11 AM
wilso
Grass Master

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
u also forgot cacturne... umm anyway why are the fire type starters so overrated the water ones are alright because they can learn ice moves 2 counter grass i also liked the way they did the 4gen starters
(grass) ground->(fire) fighting->(water) steel
beside all that imo chespin is my fav and i hope he will be grass (steel/fighting/rock/flying)
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

I'm gonna have to go with Fennekin, he's so cute and I really want him to be a fire/psychic type, and have him be a powerful special sweeper, much like Sceptile except less Atk and more Spd and SpAtk . I even have some base stats for his fully evolved form:

Hp: 75
Atk: 60
Def: 75
SpAtk: 125
SpDef: 75
Spd: 130

Base stat total: 540

You know how most starter pokemon have their own signature move? Like Blaziken has blaze kick, and Samurott has razor shell. I have a move for fully evolved fennekin - Pyro Ball. This is basically a more powerful fire type version of electro ball, and with his insane speed AND special attack stats, this signature move should work great for him.

-Desired Moveset-

Fire STAB: Pyro Ball/Fire Blast
Psychic STAB: Psychic/Psyshock/Shadow Ball
Coverage: Earth Power/Focus Blast/Energy Ball
Stat Boosters: Agility/Calm Mind

Hope you liked!

Gen 6.
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

Nature: Calm
I always choose grass starters and this one didn't disappoint! Chespin all the way!
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Sweet Smoochum
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Bashful
Fennekin or Froakie, because Chespin is just a Patrat with a hat on its head.
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Chaos Fork
So I heard you liek Mudkipz

Nature: Calm
°Chespin looks pretty original, being the only grass type starter that's not a reptile. Looks like a grass/rock type
°Fennekin is already the Charizard of Gen 6, being pretty overrated. Looks like a fire/psychic type
°Froakie just looks weird. Looks like a water/ice? type

My NEW black 2 FC: 0347-8844-0065

Last edited by Chaos Fork; February 17th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:14 AM
ZePokemonGuy
PokeTuber Novice

Nature: Impish
I love them all but I'm gonna have to go with Chespin. Apart from Treecko and Bulbasaur, not any of the Grass starters appeal to me, but Chespin definitely look like it can deliver. :3

You can now watch me explore Kanto in my FireRed LP, now on the PokeCommunity:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296942

Finally finished Pokemon Black!
Now accepting BW Wi-Fi Battles, mainly Free Battles, I just wanna have fun. :D
BW Friend Code - 2967 8409 8496
If you want a challenge, HeartGold is my best game yet.
I like fossils as well as you can see by my team. :3

#TeamDeoxys
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Student D1
De-Wott?

Location: It's where the sun rises, but it's smaller than Japan.
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Student D1
It was a tough decision; I was deciding if I should go with Fennekin or Chespin, but in the end, I'll be going with Chespin. Grass-type starters are okay, but I'm mainly a person who chooses a Water- or Fire- type starter. Chespin, however, seems fitting for the upcoming sixth generation and I'd like to choose it as my starter Pokémon once Pokémon X and Y releases.

And besides, it's about time for me to choose a Grass-type rather than the other two.

Profile | PM | Intro Thread | PokéSpe | White 2 FC
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Smoochum View Post
Fennekin or Froakie, because Chespin is just a Patrat with a hat on its head.
Yeah I kinda thought that they looked similar somewhat too :( But on the plus side, Chespin will hopefully be waywayway stronger, so Patrat loses out. n_n
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Chespin, although the gut feeling is telling me he's gonna be the ugly bulky one of this gen. I would go for Froakie, but the water starter finally disappointed me. Somehow.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Caelus
Gone

Ultimately it depends on their final evolution since that's what I really go, but based off of these three I'm liking the grass type the most - surprising considering I almost always choose the water type, but it hasn't really grown on me yet.
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Plusleminun
Togepi

Nature: Quiet
Chespin, because they're cutsie and wootsie and quick as can be. OR maybe because I usually play with grass-starters first run. : )
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plusleminun View Post
Chespin, because they're cutsie and wootsie and quick as can be. OR maybe because I usually play with grass-starters first run. : )
Given that you bring up quick, it comes to mind as to whether Chespin will actually be the quickest given what it is. I mean sure it could be fast but frogs and foxes in particular can be fast, and I'm just wondering whether its evolutions might be slower than the others to kind of defy what people would expect of starters and make the choice a little different, especially if it is a really creative typing for the final evolution!
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Synthet

Nature: Careful
Of the three I prefer Fennekin, but it really comes down to their evolutions.
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Given that you bring up quick, it comes to mind as to whether Chespin will actually be the quickest given what it is. I mean sure it could be fast but frogs and foxes in particular can be fast, and I'm just wondering whether its evolutions might be slower than the others to kind of defy what people would expect of starters and make the choice a little different, especially if it is a really creative typing for the final evolution!
I could easily see Fennekin being the fastest of the three. Between Froakie and Chespin though, I see Chespin's evolutions being a bit more quick on their feet than Froakie's. All of the Pokémon we've had based off of frogs so far don't really have good history for being fast; Poliwag and Poliwhirl being the fastest with a Base Stat of 90.

As for who's going to turn out bulkier, Froakie or Chespin? I really hope it's Froakie more so than it is Chespin ─ mostly because I prefer the slender and more agile Pokémon and despite liking all three, Chespin is my first choice. Although, if Chespin can have a bulky evolution and still look as awesome as Torterra, then I won't be upset about it.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Well, this is sort of a stretch, but, I'm going to throw sort of a curve-ball speculation here:

People have been betting on the starter trio evolutions are probably going to be part Dark-Psychic-Fighting, or at least expecting that Fennekin's evo will be Fire/Psychic, or at the very least that Fennekin's evo won't be part-Fighting? What if that's a little too obvious? Game Freak really isn't. They love curveballs. I remember that the wildest guess people would make at Piplup's final form was of a Water/Flying penguin, but most expected a Water/Ice. Needless to say, Water/Steel was quite a surprise. No one expected silly Turtwig becoming Torterra. Some people only bet on Oshawott becoming a Water/Fighting samurai otter after we saw that rough sketch which showed Iris, Ash, Axew, Dewott and Servine, and Game Freak's designers even admitted they wanted Oshawott not to look like it would evolve into a samurai, AND that its samurai form weren't so straightforward in design. Obviously no one expected Tepig would become bipedal, much less that it would be yet another Fire/Fighting, or that Snivy would lose its legs and only its legs, or that the cute Mudkip would become that Swampert, or that sweet Torchic becoming Blaziken.

Well, I dunno, while it's fine to expect Chespin will become a hedgehog because of its names, there's no way we can be sure of their final designs or typing because we don't know what Sugimori had in mind when designing them, and we probably won't until a couple weeks before release, or perhaps a few weeks or months from now, when they might give some interviews on the matter.

With this in mind, What if Fennekin's evo will be Fire/Dragon? And I know, before someone says, "oh but that will be early dragons!" Take a look at Altaria and Vibrava -- they were available at level 35 in RSE by the 5-6th badge. If only Fennekin's final form is part-Dragon, then players will only get it at level 36 or so. You could get a Gible in Platinum by the fourth badge too, so it's not that far-off to expect Dragon as a starter's final form. The experience rates are also alike (Altaria was Erratic, Garchomp is Slow, starters and Flygon are Medium-Slow), so there wouldn't be any difference in the training.

While Altaria and Vibrava don't have the same BST of a starter (Altaria is 490, Vibrava is 340, starters are 525-535), even if the Draco evolution of Fennekin had huh good stats (unlike those two), I don't see how would it be unfair, considering we've had Technician Scyther in Platinum, Infernape/Staraptor using Close Combat in DPPt, Magnemite resisting everything in BW2 and Sturdy Sawk in BW. The only real problem there could be is "type design", but I don't buy it too much because I know that, as a kid, I knew Kingdra was a dragon, and it's a cool dragon!, but not as dragon as Dragonite, which was the real deal. I'm sure no one would think of DracoFennekin as anything more than "a cool dragon!". Unless, of course, people can think Dragons should be "rare", but again, look at Trapinch evolving to Vibrava and Swablu evolving to Altaria.

Maybe considering Fennekin's final evo will be Fire/Dragon, I would also bet on Chespin's final evo being Grass/Steel and Froakie's final evo Water/Ground; this way, Froakie can hit both SE; Fennekin hits Chespin SE but has some problems with Froakie; and Chespin walls the "overpowered" part of Fennekin while beating Froakie. This is... balanced, in my opinion. Sort of. It doesn't need to be perfect, never did, never will. Or maybe Grass/Steel and Water/Fighting; it also has a good, "different" dynamic (Froakie can't hit Fennekin SE but can hit Chespin's final evo; Fennekin's final evo beats Chespin's but can't touch Froakie's; Chespin's still walls the "overpowered" part of Fennekin's while still beating Froakie's, but can be beaten by both. Reminds me of Empoleon), and all three have excellent complementary types.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:37 AM
AmericanWonderland
Sassmaster

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanWonderland
If it wasn't obvious from my avatar, I'm definitely going with Chespin, which is strange because I always pick the water type, but maybe it's because of Chespin's resemblance to my beloved Oshawott that I really like Chespin out of the three starters.

3DS Friend Code: 3540-0523-4819
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:43 AM
dreamcatcher
Lump Appraiser

Nature: Naughty
As much as it completely shatters any degree of self-respect that I have left at this point...I'm not going to be able to choose the Water starter for once. I'm sorry if this offends anyone - but I think that Froakie is hideous. Nothing against its design - it looks just fine, it's just that...erm...frogs aren't exactly the most attractive creatures ever. Cute little turtles, sassy crocodiles, squishy salamanders, adorable baby penguins, kawaii little sea otters; those were perfect for me, and don't get me wrong - I love frogs, I just don't think they're cuter than Fennec Foxes. Sorry, Froakie, you might have to sit this gen out...
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
zondar77
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Relaxed
Fennekin! Just hope that it doesn't end up being a Fire/Fighting...

Sponsored Links