Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation
Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:11 AM
TroubleH
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to TroubleH

Advertise here
Hey guys!

I started playing pokemon again some time ago. I decided to play from old games, to new games once again. I started with Pokemon Red, and now I'm on gold.

Anyway, my question is: Are berries really important/necessary,? I would just like like some replies to know what you think. Me, I would say, they can be necessary, but only at the beginning of your game, the more you advance into the game, they become useless...
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
I feel that in the Metal and Color generations, that it was mainly just used for a cure, but now they're used as stat enhancers/friendship enhancers, pokeblocks, poffins, etc. but back then I think useless unless you couldn't spend a few 200 for a Full Heal xD
Credit |Kitty Pair | VM/PM | Photobucket | Theme
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
And I don't really use them then, I just sold it because a young me thought that they were useless.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:48 AM
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I don't really use 'em. I have Potions, Hyper Potions, Antidotes, etc. that I find lying around that I use more than the berries. The only time Out might use a berry is when I don't have an antidote and my 'mon got poisoned. I don't grow 'em or even give 'em to my 'mons to hold, there are more useful items that could be held.
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Cassino
no

MysteryBerries were the first reacquirable Ether, something I've found very useful with Leppa in future generations.
Berries and Gold Berries are things one may as well give their monsters to hold (as the only things inarguably more worthwhile are Leftovers and Amulet Coin) because they provide free-action healing. I think the problem with berries in the second generation is that there aren't enough trees for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuAddict View Post
I don't grow 'em
One can't grow them in the second generation. They grow automatically, one per day, from each tree.
DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Cassino; January 11th, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Penta Penguin
Penta is here to stay

I thought that berries were quite useful, I mean, didn't they work just like the usual status healers? I always used to keep a lot of berries because I thought they were useful in the long run.

Arkanoid
: The lost levels compact - 40% done
~Twitter~ ~Youtube~
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Seppy
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
The one to heal hp were useless, the one for the status instead could come in handy without you noticing.
This signature has been disabled.
Your signature exceeds the height limit. Max height is 350px.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Device-Sasuke
Unhatched Egg

I never ever use berries. I find them completely pointless.

Best Pokemon ever. Period.
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
The only ones I ever really used were the status-healing berries, and that was just before I could afford Full Restores early on. Even though some berries are much more useful in the current games, I still find myself using them sparingly, usually for the same reason.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old January 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Kawaii Pikachu :3
"The Cutiest Pokemon Gamer!"

Nature: Gentle
I use HP berries a lot at the beginning of the game. Especially when I'm trying to lvl new Pokémon I just caught. I normally try to get my starter to lvl 10 before I am able to get pokeballs just because it makes things easier later on. So if I run into another Pokémon I want they are normally in the lvl 2-6 range. So I lvl them to lvl 10 before I move on. Berries save me time from going back and forth from the pokecenter and the grass and also saves me money on potions. It also saves my Pokémon from fainting at times while I am lvling them. But once they get a lvl where their HP is high enough so the berries don't do much then I don't use them. The status ones are nice so you don't have to spend money on antidotes and etc but there is a point where you are rich in the game so spending a few bucks on antidotes and paralyze heals is nothing.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'd harvest the status-healing ones from the easily-accessible trees as often as I could, but that was it. The HP berries became obsolete later on. It was just easier to spend money on high-end Potions.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Denny Hamlin
i can f e e l again

Nature: Brave
Bitter Berries are awesome to use back then, because they are the only berries that can cure confusion and there wasn't an item other than that to cure it. All other berries were useless, because I always relied on items like Antidotes and Awakenings. lol
MOD of FC&G & battle server // paired to Buoysel & Kanzler // rival of Jeff Gordon
[14:19] Slate...: yes megan is an independent black man who needs no shower & black woman to lead his new transsexual life
Old January 18th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I never wen't all out to collect them but now and then I'd pick them up along the way. I don't remember using them in battles, maybe the ones that healed by 10HP but none of the others really.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
I mainly care about them now due to Pokéblocks etc but in Silver when I'd run out of say a Parlyz Heal it was such a blessing discovering I had back-up berries lol
http://www.pokecommunity.com/signaturepics/sigpic155452_1.gif
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Yeah, I use them to cure paralyze etc...but I mostly use Oran berry to heal my pkmns when i don't have potions...etc.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
The_Consumer

Hardly ever used berries in these games.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here