The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful

Advertise here
How book smart are you? Do you/did you get good grades in school? Feel free to expand on the topic if you wish.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Esper

I'm pretty book smart. I went to college, studied English and history, got a degree, and I read a lot. I was certainly more book smart while I was still in school though It kind of leaves you unless you keep it up.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:16 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
School wise. i'm pretty bad. The only thing I'm really good at is History, geography, english and P.E. The rest I'm horrible. My knowledge outside of school is pretty good tho.
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I do pretty well in school, but I don't consider myself all that book smart. I tend to study a lot, which is the smart thing to do, but I guess it kinda seems like I'm less smart than those who don't study yet still get straight A's.

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:07 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

I'd say (especially throughout school) I'd consider myself pretty book smart. I basically coasted through school with minimal effort, yet graduated with honors. However, I think there is a difference between being intelligent and being smart. Using myself as an example, I consider myself intelligent to a degree, yet I've done some dumb things and made decisions that didn't make me look smart at all.
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:29 AM
♣Gawain♣
Onward to Music!!!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ♣Gawain♣ Send a message via Yahoo to ♣Gawain♣
Yes, I'm book smart. I easily memorize facts and important figures especially about science. The only thing I have trouble with is calculus and philosophy of man.

VM Δ PMPairsDeviantArtPlaying...ClubsTheme
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:42 AM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
I think I pretty book smart. I'm the highest academic scorer out of my college for 2009, 2011 and 2012! I work hard though to maintain my work standard. Someone can be smart, but if they don't put in the dedication and effort success needs, they won't achieve anything. Diligence, Discipline, Determination.
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I get decent grades in school, and I'm pretty smart, as an eleven year old.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old January 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I did not do that bad in school but do not think I am book smart to be honest.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:50 AM
Cassino
Meduka Meguca

Intelligence isn't 'book smarts', it's a capacity for learning.
I am thusly intelligent, but not exceptionally so.

DA | YT | More like Havel the #Rekt

Last edited by Cassino; January 21st, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
I'm book smart, I guess: I have a 1st Class Honors Degree, and (so the preliminary marks tell me, and my experience with my University tells me preliminary marks are final marks) a Postgraduate with Merit, and I always performed well in School/College - I was very competitive - so I guess that makes me intelligent in that regard.

Although I've never really thought of myself as intelligent because of my achievements: I lack life experience, for one, and there are plenty of things I don't have even a basic understanding of. I have a high capacity for learning, but applying that knowledge is something else entirely...
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:04 PM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I'm not bragging but I am really damn smart. I pick up most topics like magic, like as if I'm some sort of academic sponge. And I also learn how to do things on the spot real fast too, so it isn't just book smarts. My IQ's pretty high so.

I can't learn how to speak a foreign language worth **** though. I actually was delayed when it came to speaking English though, so it's no surprise.

I spend a lot of my time doing freelance research and thinking about ideas in physics and biology so I'm pretty much what you'd consider a nerd.

I'm really lazy though. So my grades are lower than what they should be. They're still really good though.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:11 PM
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I did very well in school. I learn things out of books well, especially when in the classroom. Tests and most assignments were a breeze. I got nearly straight As in high school and got an assortment of As and Bs when I was in college. If I had actually applied myself more I probably could've aced everything.

Took a test last Monday for work, and I was honestly amazed at how well I did on the test after being out of school 4 years.

So I got the book smarts down.

Street smarts? Weeeeeeell in that respect I am stupid. So I wouldn't call myself intelligent. Just good at school. >___>;
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

I don't think I'm smart at all.

Sure, I'm 3.0 in college and my last I.Q. test placed me at more than 120 (one unofficial one gave me 131), but that doesn't mean anything, at least not to me. I feel as though everyone around me is smarter than I am, so I think those tests and my GPA are inaccurate.

Last edited by CarcharOdin; January 22nd, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I don't consider myself to be particularly smart in general. I've done relatively well with school, though.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
People say I'm pretty smart, but I don't think I am. Sounds a bit pessimistic but that's kinda how I feel. Sure, I get pretty good grades in school, but I have my ways on how to pass the classes. xD

KASEY KAHNE
oral-b usa 500 winner | atlanta, georgia | august 31, 2014
moderator of fan clubs & groups | battle server moderator

Shining Armour
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

I think I'm pretty smart, I like school except for when it cuts into my time at home, I'm a little lazy xD However, I used to not get good grades so I'm trying harder now since I know I'm smarter than what I put out at school xD
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Caelus
Gone

I don't ever think about if I'm intelligent or not. I know a lot of things (random stuff) and friends tell me that I'm very smart but I don't have any idea if I'm, say, someone with a very high IQ or even an average one.

As for being book smart I have a 3.1 GPA with only one semester of high school left. I consider anyone with a GPA over 3 to be book smart.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Penta Penguin
The forgotten/ghost member of PC

I'm not sure, I would say I was split 50/50 on this. Some things I'm smart at, other things I'm not. I got a majority of C's in my grades, and never got any higher than a C. got 2 D's and 2 E's also.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Whistler
Questioner

Nature: Gentle
I'm a nerd. NERD. NEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRREDDDDDDDDDD!!! And proud! Since being stupid is dumb!
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Logically? No.. I'm horrible at maths and sciences.. but with most other things I have gotten good grades with. I graduated university with high honours and with a silver medal, which means I got the highest grades through all 4 years, out of everyone (120 people) in my course. I like to think I also have a lot of common sense and I am smart financially and with making decisions. I'm no genius, though, I work towards these goals and I study.
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Evanlyn
Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!

Nature: Relaxed
How book smart are you? Do you/did you get good grades in school?

Yeah, I got really good grades growing up... usually an A+ or A. Sometimes a B, and even rarer, a C.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I graduated about a month ago from Grand Valley State University with a little over a 3.4 GPA.

Knowledge on its own is only marginally useful. Being able to figure things out on your own, the desire to understand why things work the way they do, being able to use logic to explore any problem, these things are much more valuable than rote memorization.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I think I'm pretty book smart. I'm good at math and can conjure some sensible things to create essays/other things fairly quickly and well. I just don't like doing it.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:55 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I'm of average intelligence, even though I'm good at math. I don't get the best grades, but they're still enough to let me pass.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here