Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:53 AM).
Forever
let it go

Something that'd definitely be awesome imo is if type resistances were changed around a little in these games. For example, Water resisting Steel, Poison not being super effective on Fighting... certain things could be changed to even things up to the real world (sorta??). Do you think something like this is likely to happen? What types especially could do with altering? Would this affect in-game battling a lot, and how much would it affect competitive? Do you think it'd be okay if just one or two weaker types were changed, such as Flying, or Normal being super effective on something? Share yo thoughts.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:06 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Something I see as highly unlikely to happen, but personally speaking, I hope it doesn't. If there was ever to be a new-type this generation, then changing type resistances altogether would just be icing on a really nasty-looking cake, here. .___. It'd confuse people and re-learning the type chart isn't something I imagine a lot of people would find enjoyable, to be honest.

Though if anything had to really change, I always wondered why Water isn't super effective against steel, assuming water can erode steel like it can erode rocks.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:47 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Not all steel can be eroded by water. Only some alloys. Ships are made of metal and so are submarines and both can last for long periods of time in water without rusting.

I don't see anything that needs to be changed. Fighting types can overcome poisons. Take enough poisons and you eventually become immune to it. Get aid with a deadly poison can do the same thing. Same with various illnesses.

Other than changing a resistance with Ghost (only one is bug) so its no longer resisting one type shared with Dark would be the only thing I could see happening. This way Spiritomb, Sableye and any future Dark/Ghost typed Pokemon will have a weakness to exploit.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (08:49 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't see them changing anything with the new generation. I think the only changes they made after the first generation were to fix up the typing chart, and ever since it has remained the same. I don't really see the point of changing something that's been established that long, especially when it would only really bring confusion if anything. If they had a good reason to do so (and in my opinion they do not), then I'd be all for it. Right now I think the typing chart makes sense, so there's no point in changing anything.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (11:25 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Clever Girl

Nature: Quirky
You guys do realize that Ice and Poison types are currently the worst types in the series because of the lack of type resistances/type effectiveness. Ice is outclassed by Water for having access to Ice moves and no Stealth Rock weakness, whereas Poison only has one type advantage against Grass, even though Grass' other weaknesses are better. Because of this, Pokemon associated with these two types are in the lower tiers forever be ridiculed by players for being inferior to the Pokemon in higher tiers. Abomasnow, Cloyster, and Mamoswine are only in OU because Abomasnow is a perma-weather summoner, Cloyster is the fastest Shell Smash user, and Mamoswine has a secondary Ground typing to neutralize Stealth Rock's effects. Ice types are in need for more type resistances to balance out their weaknesses to the most common types, and Poison needs 1 or 2 more type advantage to increase the use of Poison moves.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (01:10 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Well if one thinks about it in a real life view it makes sense that ice is one of the weakest as it's quite fragile. I don't see any changes happening, other than maybe new type to shake things up.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (05:04 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Granted a new type is not on the table this generation, I don't think there will be any changes to the resistance or effectiveness of the current types. If there were, it would have happened long ago when GameFreak was cleaning up the rough edges of the type system in Gen II.
Old April 26th, 2013 (01:13 PM). Edited April 26th, 2013 by Pokedude3012.
Pokedude3012
Slayer of Milotics

Nature: Jolly
Yesterday, I was playing Emerald. I had my experience share on lairon to get him evolved into an aggron. Anyway, I had my Swampert out and in Victory Road, a wild magneton appeared. I accidentally used earthquake rather than surf and was confuzzled by the fact that not only did it hit the levitating Pokemon, but it was super effective. So what I want to ask here is: should this system be made more realistic? Should Magneton have levitate ability, or should he specifically become immune to that move?
Old April 26th, 2013 (01:30 PM).
Kaisersaur
Ranger

Nature: Calm
I dont think magneton or its evolutionary chain should have levitate. They aleady can use magnet rise. Although logically one would asume levitate as his ability.
In that case making it more realistic would be excluding some attacks as mud bomb, bonemerang, bone rush or mud bomb to be able to hit. Since really levitating wouldn't avoid them. In short it would have to even further classify attacks not only as status, physical or special. But to add also aerial, grounded or field affecting moves. They would need to adapt it individually for each pokemon's anatomy. And in my opinion that would be a nightmare. A cool nightmare though

Pokemon X FC: 3995 - 6607 - 6356
Old April 26th, 2013 (01:37 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
The topic of this thread can fit in nicely with another thread discussing type effectiveness, so I'm just going to merge the two.

My person opinion on the matter though, when has Pokémon ever tried to remain within the realms of be logically realistic?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links