The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
audinowho
我是谁?

Intro
It might just be me, but I really love the tile-based puzzles and tricks that come from Pokemon games. I decided to make a program exploring their design and creating them out of random. This is just a demo. I don't really know where to take it to be honest.

Demo is made in C++, using SDL.
Can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6s...q5a2d/Demo.zip

Overview
In its current state, the idea is simple. Get to the stairs that go up to complete the "level". The map then refreshed itself and never ends. In order to get there, the player must get through a randomized puzzle.

Features:
-Use of Ice tiles
-Use of Strength Boulders
-Use of Ledges
-Use of Rocket Base Arrow tiles
-Use of Switches
-Use of Warp Panels
-Combining concepts.
-Artistic design of maps.

-Maybe an actual game out of this.

Screenshot

I'll put this on git. Maybe. If people want and I feel like I've added enough.

Credits (also mentioned in the executable)
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen tiles, Black/White sound effects, and HeartGold/SoulSilver tiles and music (C) Nintendo/Game Freak
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

This is really cool. I enjoy the puzzles too, and it's harder than it seems to make good ones (particularly in a restricted area).

I'd love to know how you generate the maps. Obviously you start off with full ice and the walls and then place objects (floor/holes/rocks/entrance/exit) according to some random system. How do you figure out where to place the exit? Do you make the rest of the map and then simulate a play-through for X steps and place the exit where you end up? The random placement system may also be interesting in itself, depending on whether and how you deviated from a purely random approach.

The other puzzle types you've written down are also fun. I'd like to know how you're thinking of making them.
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Dragon-Tamer795

This is awesome. It continued to amuse me for about an hour before I had to go and do something else.
Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Also, may I ask where you got the music from? Never did I think a Forest theme would fit better than an Ice one.

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links