The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old August 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Emburn
<3

Nature: Bashful
In every game, you receive the master ball and you have a choice of what Pokemon to make with it. What do you do? Do you use it on the first legendary you see? Do you wait for that certain legendary that you want? Or do you save it for a different reason, maybe in case you run into a shiny.

I'm not gonna lie, I hate battling legendaries. They annoy me. Therefore, I always use mine pretty quick.
In FireRed and LeafGreen I use it on Articuno.
In RSE, I use it on Rayquaza.
And in Diamond I used it on Dialga. The other games I haven't really played enough to recall what I used it for.
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:47 PM
Crackle
A Rite of Passage

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Crackle
Most of the time, I use mine on a legendary that's hard to catch (like Azelf, Kyurem, or a roamer).

There's not much else i'd think to use it on, except maybe that shiny that can end battle at any second.
Masuda Method #1 - Shiny Noibat, 2/12/14, 174 eggs
Credit to Lilith for the avatar!
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:48 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
I save them for important situations. And never end up using them...
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
I often will forget to use my Master Ball because I just use other balls to catch things. I like the challenge of battling and catching Pokemon with normal balls such as Dusk and Ultra. I do however use it if I encounter a roamer because I am too lazy to put forth the effort to tracking it down and trapping it. I'll also use it if I encounter a shiny Pokemon.

Old August 21st, 2013, 03:51 PM
Squidchan
The Lady Cthulhu

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
I save them for important situations. And never end up using them...
This. In every single game ever.
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:56 PM
lmcde22

I don't really like using it. I have used it before but i really like legendary battles. I remember resetting about 12 times to catch Rayquaza before giving up and using the Master Ball. But the victory felt so hollow that i decided to try not to use it anymore...
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

I've never used a master ball. I save them for shinies that cannot be caught with the other 100 of each pokeball I have, such as selfdestructing 'mons.
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:23 PM
ImBlue
dabbadeedabadai

As someone who goes to great lengths to complete his Pokedex, I save them for roamers to take out a lot of unnecessary struggling. Although it would probably be a good idea to save them for shinies, as the only one I've ever seen selfdestructed on me when my first ultra ball didn't work.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:10 AM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

In the older games, I would generally use the Master Ball on one of the main legendary Pokemon (Mewtwo in Yellow, Lugia in Gold, Kyogre in Sapphire). After having an unfortunate encounter with a Paras in FireRed though, I began relegating my Master Ball to my last resort if I ever found a shiny Pokemon. Thankfully, this plan helped me in catching a shiny Ducklett on White, though it does look a little ridiculous to see that I caught it with my Master Ball.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:10 AM
Starlight Sprite
Resident Moon Fairy

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight Sprite
I just use it on a roaming Pokemon to save myself at least a couple of headaches. I don't mind dragging out fights with stationary legendaries since they can be caught with Ultra Balls, even if the catch rate is low. I can't stand chasing roamers around only for them to move on by the time I get to where they were.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Orianna
♡So strange, they scream.♡

Nature: Timid
I don't really hunt down my Legendaries or anything and when I really have to catch them I usually do it without using the Master Ball. So 99% of the time, I end up not using it at all.

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:
Midori Kuramoto in Hoenn Diaries

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Emburn
<3

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
I don't really hunt down my Legendaries or anything and when I really have to catch them I usually do it without using the Master Ball. So 99% of the time, I end up not using it at all.
It'd be cool if you can transfer them to later generations and stock up on them.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I only use Masterballs on Shinies and on roamer legends
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I only use my Master Balls on roamers or on legendaries I want if all else fails.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

I only use the Master Ball on some Legendaries if my other catching methods fail. Roamers especially since they are a pain to catch!
And not forget where you’ve come from

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:54 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

"The Master Ball is the ultimate Poké Ball. It will unfailingly catch any Pokémon in the wild. But it is not anything that I require. Unlike you Trainers, I do not make Pokémon my friends or partners. Unlike other Team Galactic members, I don't use Pokémon as tools. Instead, I make the power of Pokémon my own." (Cyrus)

I've never seen a situation in which I had to use the Master Ball. The other Balls are usually quite effective at what they do. Dusk Balls make catching legendaries almost too easy, and Quick and Repeat Balls have very good catch rates as well.

Gamefreak, if you ever read this, I want to know why you troll Pidgeot. Talonflame has Gale Wings, Staraptor has good stats and Close Combat, Swellow has Guts, even freaking Fearow has Drill Run. And you troll Pidgeot with Big Pecks, Hurricane, and 10 measly base Speed points. Why, Gamefreak? Is the original bird not good enough for you?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
I usually catch the main legendary Pokémon with Ultra Balls. It takes a lot of time to catch them with those, but I do it anyway. I tend to save the Master Ball for roaming Pokémon like Latios, Latias, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Cresselia, and so on. They are very hard to find, and they're even harder to catch. If you don't have a good strategy, then it's highly unlikey for you to be able to catch these Pokémon without a Master Ball. D:

Last edited by Peitharchia; August 22nd, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
MIAU
Purr~

Nope, I never use my Master Balls. I actually like it when Pokemon are playing hard to get, hehe. I like battling the legendaries, so I always use Dusk Balls or Ultra Balls on them, though I have caught Uxie in a Quick Ball in B2, hehe. It is tougher if it's a roaming legendary, like the user above said, they're actually hard to catch without a good strategy to prevent them from fleeing, but I just love the thrill. Back in my White run, I insisted chasing after Thundurus and capturing it without using the Master Ball, and it was a great feeling in the end when I finally got it.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Mister Oshawott
The hidden otter of awesome :P

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emburn View Post
It'd be cool if you can transfer them to later generations and stock up on them.
Actually, my brother has like, twelve Masterballs in his Pokemon White 2 version *he hasn't obtained his in White 2 yet*. It started with trading a Pokemon that held the Masterball from his ruby to his sapphire. Trading two Pokemon that held the two Masterballs to his Firered. Trading three Pokemon that held the three Masterballs to his Leaf-Green. Pal-parked all four Masterball carrying Pokemon to his Diamond Version. Traded five Masterball wielding Pokemon to Pearl. Six to Platinum, Seven to HeartGold, Eight to Soulsilver. Transferred Nine to Pokemon White. Traded Ten to Pokemon Black. Traded Eleven to Pokemon Black 2, and finally traded all twelve over to his White 2, where he will soon gain his Thirteenth.

All in all, he could develop two teams with all of the ones he has currently. It is possible, just time consuming. He probably won't ever use them either .

As for me, I used to use it for Roamers, or Mewtwo in Firered. However, I have recently slowed up on using the Masterball, and much like my brother, keep it for collection purposes.

Thanks for reading the above post!
Big thanks to Maxresh for signature image
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Autumn Reverie
d a y d r e a m

Location: Above Singapore, below Thailand. Hm, you don't know where that is?
Nature: Modest
I save my Master Ball for shinies that have the tendency to explode or flee. Not that I've actually used it on any shiny before - I've always managed to catch it with a normal ball. I actually don't prefer catching any legendary with the Master Ball, roamer or not. It takes all the challenge out of running into it randomly, battling it and catching it with my own efforts.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
like most. i save them for roamers. i stockpile them also so i can catch them all in one little adventure. i dont think anything would be worse then coming across a shiny graveler without a masterball and the little ****** using self destruct. i dont think i could live with myself if that ever happened.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:17 AM
Falsever
I'm back. :3

I always use the Master Ball for the first Legendary I meet.
I'm afraid I'll waste the Ultra Balls.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
Savant
Natural Born Breeder

I don't use it at all. In Emerald I kept it, cloned it and kept the clones unless it was something extremely annoying to catch.

Otherwise, I catch everything in Pokeballs. Even if it takes a million tries, I must use a Pokeball.

3DS FC: 1564-2977-3425
Friend Safari: Psychic (Drowzee - Espurr - ???)

my.anime | my.manga | Circle of One | Pokemon Breeders FC | Fire Emblem FC

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:45 AM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I use it on a roamer. Everything else I can catch easily enough with some patience while roamers would make me want to rip my hair out. Saves me a lot of stress. :D

pair | family | irl pair | lovelies
club 1 club 2 club 3 club 4
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Aeroblast
웃웃웃웃웃웃웃

Nature: Serious
I never really come around to actually using a Master Ball despite my insistence on saving it for an important Pokemon. In Emerald, though, I cloned like a dozen of them and I use it fairly often to catch those pesky legendaries.

Sponsored Links