< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub Discussion What inspired you to make a Pokémon ROM Hack?

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply Post Reply
Old November 24th, 2013 (4:32 PM).
Nature: Mild
Well I grew up with pokemon and I noticed that lately it has become repetitive for me you catch the same pokemon beat the same trainers whatever so I decided to make my own that is a pokemon game and it's not. I wanted a pokemon game that has aspects of the original games but also had ideas that gamefreak has never touched and I felt that I could make that happen.
Old November 24th, 2013 (9:28 PM).
Well, I came to it because I have my own minecraft server with a unique map and other stuff..So recreatong that would be the coolest stuff ever, with unique fakemon for every guild (team) on our server. Sadly, we arent that good at spriting though
Old December 14th, 2013 (12:31 PM).
Hacking newbie
Nature: Adamant
Well... one of my dreams is to make a Emerald rom hack. Mostly because I really liked and started playing pokemon in Gen 3. My experience playing hacks is kinda old lol. My first pokemon game was a Emerald that I got from Santa Claus. However that wasn't a "regular" cart. It was a fake cart. The game was the same as Emerald but pokemon, attack, character and city names were all different. For example: Rayquaza was called "mumu" in that game and tackle was called "bump" lol. And the worst of all: The first shiny I saw was a purple Whurple and caught it but then I discovered that the game couldn't save :'(

Some years after I get a new Gen 3 game. It was a Sapphire. I played it for years and grinded on League to evolve my pokemons to level 100. At school I came across a strange kid which was playing a strange pokemon game. It was "Pokemon Naranja" and had a Celebi in the cart image. I was surprised and traded my original Sapphire for that strange game. Then I played it inside my class(lol) to a certain point where there isn't any way to go further. I was stuck in a island and didn't had any HM. Then I felt tricked and later I found the same kid and we traded games again. I got my original Sapphire back.

Then I stopped playing pokemon hacks and played Platinum and Black1 and Black2 (stopped in Elesa's gym due to DS breaking)

Then recently I started playing GBA games in my phone and had the idea of playing pokemon hacks again. And then I found a walkthrough of Victory Fire on shofu's channel. I downloaded it and I already beat it 100%. I really liked Victory Fire Version. It inspired me to make my own hack since I saw interesting features on it like day and night, black market, character images when they speak and gen4&5 pokemons. I'm now playing it's sequel: Pokemon Resolution Version. I'm liking this game as well. I already got my second badge in it.

That's how I got interested in hacking
Sorry if it's too big.
One of my dreams is to make my first Emerald hack rom! I will do it!
Old December 17th, 2013 (3:44 AM).
I've been playing around with the idea of customizing a Pokemon game since I first played the original games in the halcyon days of my youth -- that is, before I even knew what hacking would constitute or that it even was possible. That said, due to the time commitment that hacking requires, I've never been able to devote actual resources to any such project -- my current and only attempt at a hack has been worked on sporadically for many years to little tangible result.
Old December 21st, 2013 (10:24 AM).
Nature: Quirky
To me it's a who.... Who you ask?
DJG and DRG, both amazing at hacking.
Oh and don't forget WesleyFG.... :3 (from what I heard he has a poll on his site which involves what kind of hack does he make next.... check the results.)
Old December 21st, 2013 (1:13 PM).
No problem here.
Well, for me, ever since I first played the Pokemon games I always thought that it'd be super cool to make my own 'custom' story that I can call my own like, "Hey, I made this!".
And, while I was playing I always used to think, "yeah, this is where *custom content* can go!" But the thing that always stopped me in my n00b days was, "Well, I don't think I can just cut open cartridges and rewrite data, that's stupid."
Then I discovered ROMs and those custom stories that look super-cool. So, other's ROM hacks have inspired me to finally make my own! :3

I have a Pokémon hack currently in progress! I promise my siggy will be cooler when it's finished
Hacks I support:
Every hack known to man, Pokémon, and Saturn-kind.
Old January 18th, 2014 (12:57 AM).
Kik: spazzyda59
Nature: Lonely
What inspired me to make a pokemon hack was coolboy man and dany ee.Danny e's graphics patch inpired me to make a tough mod of pokemon red called tough red
Old January 23rd, 2014 (11:14 AM).
Nature: Quirky
What inspired me the most were things like Vega, Blaze Black/2, and Dark Violet. I was also inspired by some now-obscure hack in progress Tailes is making called "Pokémon Jade." I also like playing top-notch hacks like YAFRH with the Nuzlocke rules, so there's also that.

Oh, wait. The 64x64 sprite resources on this site. I knew I was forgetting something!
knuck knuck is knockles
3DS Friend Code: 2208-4585-5395
Vivillon pattern: Modern

Old February 3rd, 2014 (11:05 PM).
Legendary Trainer ZX
Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
Pokemon Shiny Gold (Beta 5) had been one of the first rom hacks that I had ever played and I was awed by how such extensive modifications could be done to a rom. It literally didn't even feel like a "rom hack" per se. It felt as if I was playing a official Game Freak 3rd generation game. Everything was professionally done, even down to the grammar. Now I want to follow in that game's footsteps.
Old February 4th, 2014 (10:51 PM).
Confused on what to put here.
Nature: Calm
The reason I started rom hacking is that I just thought that the original games didn't bring enough in. I wanted a Pokemon world that has more to offer, a new story that isn't the same every time.

I'm not great at hacking, all my hacks are simple like "151 and 251 and 386" as I can't script for anything.
But I am still planning on making a full hack, but I'd need scripters.
Red hack - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=341988
Blue hack - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318622

Hacks I support:

Old February 7th, 2014 (7:16 PM).
I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Nature: Jolly
I saw these YouTube tutorials on ROM Hacking as well as these video series and stuff, so I decided to join in and I've been doing it ever since. I also told my friends about it on several occasions and how I was going to make a Pokemon Game and all that kind of stuff. I constantly printed screenshots to show to my 5th grade friends and they thought it was amazing. Although sadly enough, I never did get to make a ROM Hack. I still have the book of ideas I had for my original, so I might make something from that.

Old February 15th, 2014 (7:28 AM).
Nature: Serious
I played Shinygold and Naranja, and I fell in love with hacking. I tried to do my own at the time (2004 I think) but failed. Then few years later (now), I tried again, and finally made my own hack
Old February 22nd, 2014 (10:32 AM).
Rikura Intensifies
Nature: Brave
My inspiration of start in the hackroms was when I play Pokemon Quartz, a good hack, I remember this hack as filled the 386 pokemon with fakemons.

And I start in the GBC hacking when I play pokemon prism, and recently playing pokemon christmas
Old May 16th, 2014 (10:24 PM).
I wanted to always make my own pokemon sadly i have a mac so i can't plus i don't have the artistic ablity to do what my mind imagines. if you could, could you hack ruby to have a new legendary that my dreams has always wanted which is a human form John Lennon that I can catch as so as I get my starter pokemon. it has always been my dream to see John Lennon in Pokemon. If I was to make the hack I would call it Pokemon John. sighs the dream will never live outside of my mind.
Old May 17th, 2014 (1:09 AM).
Nature: Brave
The very first hack I played was Pokemon Generations (Red) in the far 2001. But the inspiration became the last year, watching a Pokemon Blue Kaizo Nuzlocke. It was very interesting seeing how much difficulty has the game with those rules, but something there was missing. Then I decided to make a hack with Pokemon Yellow. Why Yellow? Because I just loved back in the days the fact you were able to have all the three starters.
Old May 17th, 2014 (1:38 PM).
Glaceon Lover ~
Nature: Gentle
Well, actually, I found the original games cool of course, but sometimes I was sad because a certain legendary Pokémon wasn't available (without events or not at all), so I wanted to make a hack where you could obtain all legendaries.

Right now, the answer would be: because I am watching the series, and I want to 'remake' the series (not fully, but at least some of the events and persons).
Old May 20th, 2014 (8:17 PM).
Wanted to make a cool, personalized game for my friends. I occasionally put signs around saying, "Alex, you probably still haven't evolved your spheal" (he never evolves spheal. Gives it an everstone.) or "Harry, this next gym is gonna suuuuuck for you"

Fun stuff like that
Old June 17th, 2014 (5:11 PM).
When I was a little kid, I bought a "Pokemon Jade" cartridge from a used game shop for $10 using money I'd saved up from my allowance. I was really young, and I remember I had heard there was a 'green' Pokemon game in Japan (the very first Pokemon game, before it was translated as "Pokemon Blue" here). But, it turned out to be a pirated, hacked, badly Babelfish-translated copy of a Japanese game known as 'Telefang.' It was really, really awful.

Needless to say, when I realized what I had, I was the happiest kid ever! A super-secret hilariously bad pirate cartridge? NEAT-O! The hack was so bad that saving was disabled(!!!) so I could never progress past those first couple hours of gameplay at most, but I played it over and over anyway.

I found that old Jade cartridge a couple weeks ago and just thought, I should make my own super-secret hilarious Pokemon hack. (This time I won't disable the save function.) In the mean-time, Telefang is just... Amazing. Please look it up!
Old June 17th, 2014 (5:29 PM).
Pokémon Aureolin
Crystal Tier
Nature: Timid
These videos... and Shiny Gold ofc. :p I joined PC to download Shiny Gold okay? ;o;
Old June 17th, 2014 (8:20 PM).
Angel of Death
Crystal TierEO
Nature: Impish
Well it started when I randomly stumbled across Pokémon Brown one day and I was like: you can make your own Pokémon game? And then I saw Pokémon Ice and remember being blown away. It was like the coolest thing ever. And I wanted to do that too. I literally had been writing down ideas for my own Pokémon, regions, etc. for ages.

Then, when I finally got my own laptop, I joined PC, and the rest is history.
The Angel of Death
Old June 23rd, 2014 (11:29 PM).
Nature: Hasty
Well I started playing Pokemon fire red 6 years ago and then started playing hacks but POKEMON PLATINUM for gba inspired me to make a pokemon hack and I am currently working on my first hack and It will be completed (may be) at start of 2015 :D
Old June 23rd, 2014 (11:37 PM).
Nature: Relaxed
Back in 2006 I played a gold hack, which's name I forgot. What actually put me to rom-hacking is the hack Light Platinum by WesleyFG which I found on this site. Since then, I wanted to make my own Pokémon game. Programming experience and experience as an engineer helps me a lot though.
Old June 24th, 2014 (8:01 AM).
Nature: Careful
I was never able to play Generation IV and up games, because of the emulator issues. But one day I joined Pokémon Showdown and seen how cool those Pokémon were and I decided to find a way how to cheat them to my Fire Red, untill I learned that the only way to get them is thru hacking (guy on Yahoo Answers told me that and linked me to Pokécommunity). I started to hack since then, but at the time you couldn't insert new Pokémon without deleting other ones, so I quit after one month. But now when G3HS offers me ability to add them without replacing existing ones, I'm back again.
Completed Challenges:
Cradily Solo-Run
First level 100 Pokémon on Emerald: http://imgur.com/a/DN6ZL#0

Old June 24th, 2014 (8:33 AM).
Nature: Hasty
Kind of Same story here also bro
Old June 24th, 2014 (10:05 PM).
I technically qualify for this topic I suppose.
I started Pokemon hacking today.

The hack I did for today was a test run based off of an idea I had earlier last year that somehow resurfaced.
The idea started with me thinking about what a Pokemon adventure in space would be like. Which then lead me to the idea of Pokemon as an open world styled game.
It's something I've never seen but it seemed plausible. And based on the results from today I definitely think there's room for it being a viable idea.

I've been pretty aware of the hacking community for a while. I was probably first exposed to it back at TRS Rockin' with the bootleg games. I also knew about some of the tools available thanks to Tamashii Hiroka and a few other YouTubers whose videos I glanced through.
MissingNo avatar created by Bajilla over at DeviantArt.
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links