Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 16th, 2014 (01:56 AM). Edited January 16th, 2014 by Til The End.
Til The End

Like the title says, I've never played gen 5. It was just simply due to my lack of interest in Pokemon at the time. After getting back into the games with X and Y I would really like to experience these games. I've been thinking about getting Black 2. After playing through gen 6 do you think it will devalue gen 5 for me? What sets the gen 5 games apart from gen 6? What did you enjoy from gen 5 that you wish was in gen 6?
Old January 16th, 2014 (02:13 AM).
Introvert
Banned

Don't worry bro it was by FAR the worst gen ever.

- Crap legendaries (except Zekrom)
- Horrible designs for most Pokemon that gen
- Awkward graphics that weren't quite 3D but were definitely an eyesore
- Lame protagonist designs especially for the male
- Next to no post-game activity
- Uninspired music

Give it a miss I say. X & Y are much better all around. 5th gen was just filler in my book.
Old January 16th, 2014 (04:11 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
You will regret it Till The End.

Anyways... 5 generation was especially interesting because of the storyline and the graphics but now that 3DS games overwhelmed the graphic part, 5th generation games can only offer good storyline and you can get familiar with Pokemon. If you don't really plan on getting some 5th generation Poke into your X/Y team, you can pretty much skip the generation.
If you like Pokemon you would want to play something from each generation, though xD

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 16th, 2014 (04:17 AM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Well, a bunch of that is a matter of opinion. Crap legends? Some people like them, some people dislike, simple as that. Same as your claim of uninspired music - while some of the legends did look pretty similar to each other, I really have to disagree that the music was 'uninspired'. Same goes for designs for Pokemon and protagonists (which is a pretty darn minor reason to not get a game, let's be honest). But each to their own.
Quote:
Next to no post-game activity
This is more objective however. True for BW, but certainly not for B2W2. (Musicals, Movies, Join Avenue, Battle Subway, medals, white hollow/black tower, dream world, missions... I think it had a lot to do.).

My advice? If you find it cheap, go for it. You'll add a bunch of Pokémon to transfer over to 6th gen games when Bank finally comes out, at the very least. And there were a bunch of features in the game I wish were in X&Y (medals, join avenue, even many parts of the dex. Being able to see what you are missing for each part of each route? Dang). My preference is B2W2 due to more content, and it's not necessary to have played BW to be able to play its sequels. (It does help, but you won't get too lost on the plot, I'd wager).
Newest article: Gym Reviews: Hoenn!
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old January 16th, 2014 (04:40 AM).
Til The End

Quote originally posted by bobandbill:
My preference is B2W2 due to more content, and it's not necessary to have played BW to be able to play its sequels. (It does help, but you won't get too lost on the plot, I'd wager).
That's good to know. I was about to ask that. I would also like to be able to transfer my Pokemon from SoulSilver to my copy of X. I don't mind skipping Black 1 and going straight to Black 2 because there seems to be so much more end game content. There's so little to do at the end of X that it left me wanting more.
Old January 16th, 2014 (05:09 AM).
Pendraflare
DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
I would say it's definitely worth going for. As bobandbill said, there is a lot to like about Gen V, especially BW2. Other than what's already been mentioned, battling N and Ghetsis at the end of BW is almost up there with Cynthia from DPPt in terms of epic fights, for one. (Alder and Iris, the Champions, maybe not so much, but I certainly had fun with the latter.)
Old January 16th, 2014 (06:09 AM).
Chibiterasu
愛はただの幻想で

Nature: Docile
It's jsut a matter opinion. If you think you might enjoy it, go for it. I don't think BW2 even cost that much anyore. Even though it was one of the worst Gens in my own opinion, that shouldn't affect what choice you make. I'd say go for it, it wouldn't hurt to try it out. BW2 was a LOT better than BW, but I still don't like Gen 5 as much. There's also some post-gmae activity and you even have the chance to trasnfer your Gen 5 pokemon, (BW2 as previous gen pokes as well) and you can have them in your or Y game. It really isn't that good anymore, but I'd say go for it. Again, it wouldn't hurt to try and it prolly doesn't even cost that much anymore.

Go for it, but only if you want to. If not, you can save your monies for something else.

Milk and Cookies :s
Old January 16th, 2014 (06:17 AM). Edited January 16th, 2014 by Til The End.
Til The End

Quote originally posted by Chibiterasu:
it was one of the worst Gens in my own opinion
Just wondering, what didn't you like about it?
Old January 16th, 2014 (08:51 AM).
viriagan

Nature: Sassy
Personally, I liked B/W a lot! The storyline was the most enjoyable out of all Pokemon games IMO, which I'm sure many players can agree with. If this + other characteristics already mentioned in the thread sound appealing to you, go for it. There are lots of cheap second-hand cartridges available online.

"The unwary... I chomp!"
Safari: Trapinch / Marowak / Palpitoad
Old January 16th, 2014 (08:52 AM).
LyokoGirl5000
Lyoko Princess

Nature: Careful
Gen V had some of the worst Pokemon games I've ever played. Black 2 and White 2 had some postgame stuff and the Dream World was fun when it was around, but I stopped playing gen five after I got the Shiny Charm in Black 2 and started playing Gen II again.
Old January 16th, 2014 (09:36 AM).
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

I actually like Gen 5. The lack of old Pokemon in the regional dex in B/W disappointed me at first, but this was fixed in B2/W2. I did grow to love plenty of Unova mons, though. Serperior, Samurott, Chandelure, Volcarona, Ferrothorn, Krookodile, Haxorus, Hydreigon, the list goes on.

Other than that, I loved Pokestar Studios, and Team Plasma was a big step in the right direction.

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old January 16th, 2014 (10:21 AM).
Dragonite1v1

Nature: Adamant
Honestly I enjoy playing fifth gen, there is a lot of post game things to do after you beat it. You just have to look around for them, Its not something there staring in your face.

I mean there is PWT and Join Avenue for instance. That's just two of my favorite past times on here but the breeding mechanics is so simple, that's really the only thing about fifth gen that gets me.
Old January 16th, 2014 (10:29 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Gen 5 was the best generation I played until Gen 6 came out. Loved everything about both Black/White and Black2/White2.

If you want, Black2/White2 is alright to start as they don't intertwine as much as most would think. Just like any Pokemon Game before it the story is separate enough to not need to have played before. For full Gen 5 experience, I do recommend doing both sets, originals first and then sequels, but you don't have to do so.

Gen 5 was the best before Gen 6 though.
Old January 16th, 2014 (11:34 AM).
Til The End

Thank you for all the comments everyone. I decided to get Black 2. I'm looking forward to playing it. ^-^ I'm also glad that I'll be able to transfer my SoulSilver pokemon over to X.
Old January 16th, 2014 (12:15 PM).
Pendraflare
DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Glad you decided to pick it up! Hopefully you'll find it enjoyable. As I said, there is a lot to like about it, and while some people don't appreciate it, it's worth at least trying since it has plenty of Pokémon and other side-quests to keep you occupied.

Off topic but I didn't expect you to be a girl o:
Old January 16th, 2014 (12:45 PM).
Axeliira
Buoysel is best 🍐

Nature: Brave
Many of our opinions were different once the 5th generation was announced. At first we weren't as fond with the Pokemon than we were now. We waited till the games came out, we tried it out, and our thoughts have changed. It happens sometimes.

I'm glad you decided to try out Black 2. Although I do recommend the first Black game so you can fill in any plot holes you may have missed out, but that's just my $0.02. I'm sure you will love not only the game, but what this generation had offered. Best of luck!
that lights up the dark.
Old January 16th, 2014 (01:05 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I strongly recommend 5th gen. They're really fun to play through and even replay once in a while.

B2W2 is HUGE. "Some" post game content is a gross understatement. There's A LOT to do after you finish the game, and the PWT gives it enormous replay value.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old January 16th, 2014 (01:53 PM).
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by bobandbill:
My advice? If you find it cheap, go for it. You'll add a bunch of Pokémon to transfer over to 6th gen games when Bank finally comes out
Not to mention Gen. V games are required if you want to use the PokéTransferer.
Old January 16th, 2014 (02:01 PM).
Flourish
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
It's too bad that you skipped it.
Gen 5 was, let's say okay. I personally liked BW better than BW2; I decided to play one original and one sequel again. I enjoyed BW2 better after trying everything for the first time.

BW - The lack of previous Gen Pokemon grossed me out, because of that, I thought it was very boring.
The Post-game kinda sucked too.

BW2 - The lack of previous gen Pokemon was finally fixed. There were many things to do before and after beating the game.
Old January 16th, 2014 (02:59 PM).
The Feves
Pikamon Pokéchu

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Til The End:
Like the title says, I've never played gen 5. It was just simply due to my lack of interest in Pokemon at the time. After getting back into the games with X and Y I would really like to experience these games. I've been thinking about getting Black 2. After playing through gen 6 do you think it will devalue gen 5 for me? What sets the gen 5 games apart from gen 6? What did you enjoy from gen 5 that you wish was in gen 6?

As someone who also did this and ultimately gave in and went back to Gen 5 games, I would have to agree with the majority of you: All around not worth the time if you're already invested in X/Y.

When you start X/Y without having played B/W (1 or 2), you feel like you're getting a lot more new pokemon, which can be either overwhelming or very exciting. The design style in X/Y actually does a justice to a lot of the added Gen. 5 pokemon.

The male main character look in B2/W2 is really ridiculous, and as soon as I opened my new file, I put it on hold. I just couldn't deal with the choppy aesthetic that the game has. The Unova Pokedex is nothing to write home about either.

I will say that it would be worth getting one of the Gen. 5 games if you were a Pokefan before, and want to see some of your older Gen characters in your new X/Y, since Gen. 5 is the only game that allows you to transfer Pokemon from previous generations into the game, and then send them to the Pokemon Bank (once it's finally released).

Friend Safari: Dragon - Noibat, Gabite, Sliggoo
Old January 19th, 2014 (06:49 AM).
Kratosx
Flareon Master

Nature: Modest
Some people hate gen 5 but I love them all legends were awsome and the pokemon designs unique people who say they were bad designs forgets about gen 1s bad pokemon idees like voltorb, electrode, grimer, muk and a seal pokemon named seel very original indeed....

Currently doings:

Breeding for Shinys

My friend safari pokemons: Shuppet, Pumkaboo, Drifblim

my 3DS FC is:
0216-2224-5730
Old January 19th, 2014 (07:03 AM).
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

To be, Generation 5 was one of the better games. The storyline was a lot better than most other games, if you plan to get B2, I would go ahead and get B1 as well, B1 only has 5th Gen pokemon till after the main storyline.

And BW did have a good amount of post game at the time, there was 3 areas you never even got to explore until after,but you will explore them in B2.

People say they didn't like the first game because you didn't get older pokemon till after the E4, that is what made the game fun for me, it was a fresh start.
Old January 19th, 2014 (10:34 PM).
Hikamaru
i am a fire escape
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't think 5th Gen is bad, in fact they had some of the most epic stories in a Pokemon game (Black/White I'm looking at you and your very strong storyline) and the Pokemon introduced are among my faves, or at least most of them. As the others stated, you should give them a try because a true Pokemon fan always tries to at least play every generation.

Plus, you will need the 5th Gen games for when Pokemon Bank finally comes out. And B2/W2 also has a really good postgame, and you can always opt for that if you don't like B/W. I do recommend both sets of games, they are worth playing.
Old January 20th, 2014 (05:03 AM).
awolfsquared
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I'm glad you're getting Black 2. I think you'll enjoy it. There's a lot much to do in it than Black and White. Admittedly , I think Black and White has the better storyline. I know alot of people hate gen V, but I really enjoyed them much more than gen IV. While Generation IV wass nice, I couldn't get into to it's games as much. But Gen V really stood out for me. Although Gen III will always be my favorite, but gen V is 2nd for my favorite generation. They're just really unique games compared to the others and I hope you enjoy Black 2.
Old January 20th, 2014 (05:14 AM).
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
I've been playing an emulator for it and I like it. Your Rivals are kinda lame, but other than that, it's pretty cool. The pre-game is very slow and stuff, but other than that, I'm sure if you get into it you'll like it.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links