The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Umbreon is for grown ups. Think about it. The pokemon games are aimed at kids but you have to evolve eevee at night to get an umbreon. The last thing parents want is there kids up late at night playing video games!

So the only logical explanation is that umbreon is a pokemon for grown ups cuz grown ups can stay awake as late as they want.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:04 AM
adventure
satellite physician

Nature: Naive
Haha, that is something I've never thought of before. However, since it's "night" pretty early in the games, 6 pm in Gen II and 8 or 9 pm in later Gens, I don't think GameFreak meant for Umbreon to be more of a grown-up directed pokémon than Espeon or others. Sure, in Japanese "dark type" was translated from "evil type" so the whole Dark type is shady and questionably child friendly already.

I used to play my Gameboy games before I fell asleep, in bed :3 And it was night by then in the games, even if you go to bed as early as 8 or 9 pm. So even if it's fun to think about, I wouldn't call Umbreon more of a pokémon for grown-ups than others.
paired with : abnegation
roleplay: CLOUD v2.0
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:12 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Yeah, certainly in the games Umbreon was first in, 6pm is pretty reasonable to wait for imo. And in later gens, there was the option to change the DS/3DS clock as well to manipulate things like this, leastways if you didn't mind screwing over with things like berries.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

As has been already said, in Gen. II, night comes at 6PM, and besides, some kids might stay up late anyway, especially if they're on a school break, or (in some areas), school is closed due to an emergency (such as a snowstorm) the next day according to the radio or television broadcasts.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Nature: Gentle
Oh please, like no kid has ever stayed up late one night under their covers with their Pokemon game. You know we all did that at least once, hee hee. XD I know I stayed up late one night to grind levels in the hopes of beating Misty before going to sleep (yeah, didn't happen. I started with Charmander and it didn't occur to me to just go back to the Viridian Forest to get extra Pikachus)....
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Jackey View Post
Oh please, like no kid has ever stayed up late one night under their covers with their Pokemon game. You know we all did that at least once, hee hee. XD I know I stayed up late one night to grind levels in the hopes of beating Misty before going to sleep (yeah, didn't happen. I started with Charmander and it didn't occur to me to just go back to the Viridian Forest to get extra Pikachus)....
If you can even go back to Viridian Forest once you've gotten to Cerulean City since there is a ledge blocking you from going back to mt moon. XP

Anyway, it's pretty much agreed that the night requirement could be for older ages, but maybe it's just them taking a logical approach to it's evolution.(if Espeon evolves by day, than it's opposite counterpart is obviously supposed to evolve at night.) And they tried to make the clock as early as they can if the night back in Gen 2 starts at 6 PM

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:44 AM
LuminescentUmbreon
Eeveelution Trainer

Nature: Mild
I've never thought of that, haha. I think it was just Game Freak introducing the day/night cycle into the games so they decided to put in an evolution that used it to show it off.

"Winning isn't everything, its the only thing." - Vince Lombardi
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithel_Celestia View Post
If you can even go back to Viridian Forest once you've gotten to Cerulean City since there is a ledge blocking you from going back to mt moon. XP
Ah yeah, that's right! I forgot about that little ledge. No wonder I was like, "Welp, maybe if I try attacking her with a Charizard since Pikachu quit listening....." instead of getting more Pikachus.....
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Shadeh
KABOOM!

LOL! and you couldn't breed until you beat the game either. Mega sad face :C
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Bruce Banner
Unleash the Beast
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
Eh, I don't really see Umbreon as a pokemon for adults, but I gguess on could view it as that. Umbreon does seem to be the ruler of the night.
Old February 4th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
We could pretty much say the same about Kyurem as it also has legend because of which kids had to be closed in homes so Kyurem wouldn't eat them =D
I don't think any Pokemon is for children/grown-ups... every Pokemon is for everyone =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:39 AM
PumpJack
Gentleman Thug

Dunno 'bout anybody else, but I'd regularly be going to bed at 11 o'clock-midnight as young as 8-9. I also remember pulling an all-nighter beating the Elite 4 in Gold.
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Orogenes

As some people have pointed out, "night" starts quite early in the games; I often went to bed around 9 p.m as a child so it was never really an issue to catch or deal with any "night" pokémon. From a design perspective Umbreon isn't particularly scary/evil or insinuating to anything adult. Also, if you forget the game aspect but analyze it from some sort of ecosystem perspective, there is nothing inherently adult about being a night creature.
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:43 AM
CanalavesHermit

Nature: Docile
It might have been at first, but with the ability to manipulate the DS/3DS clock, I think it lost it's adult exclusivity ._.
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Aiden Blue
Cincinnati's Trainer

Nature: Brave
Umbreon for the win! lolz. Never really ♥♥♥♥♥♥ with the Eevee'lutions after Gen 1. They all look pretty, and interesting, but by the time I beat the game, and start competitive battling, I don't have time to focus on evolving Eevee's.

Umbreon has always peaked my interest, along with Noctowl, because well... I'am a bit of a Night Owl myself.

Last edited by Brendino; March 9th, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: censor bypass
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Burakki Tsuki
Now playing Pokemon again! :D

Oh yea Umbreon! I don't think it's only for grown ups I stayed up pretty late to get mine back in the day. I guess if you have extremely stick parents you wouldn't be able to get them. I would wait until everyone was asleep and grind it out in the night, and umbreon owned the night!

These days I play more at night then anything so I don't have to try to get a Umbreon its always night when I play unless it's the weekend.

Old March 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Platina Berlitz
Pure bliss

You could always just reset the clock on your DS. Nighttime did come early in early ggenerations . Also I used to sneak gameboy games when I couldn't sleep xD

Old March 9th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Aiden Blue
Cincinnati's Trainer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakki Tsuki View Post
I would wait until everyone was asleep and grind it out in the night.
... This is so GIGGITY! I can imagine a little boy under the sheets, making noises, and a parent walks in thinking he was doing "you know what", and pulls down the sheets to see him playing a Game Boy. XD That would make for a great comic. =P
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
Yoooo Umbreon is my favorite. I have no problems staying up late to get Eevee to evolve into one. Then again though, I'm 21 so if someone tries to give me a bedtime, it won't work.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Omicron
we are bonded forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminescentUmbreon View Post
I've never thought of that, haha. I think it was just Game Freak introducing the day/night cycle into the games so they decided to put in an evolution that used it to show it off.
This. ^

It started as a novelty evolution method because the night and day cycles were introduced that generation. Just like Inkay evolving while holding your 3DS upside down thanks to the gyroscope incorporated in the 3DS.
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Azire
Mr. Premier Ball

Nature: Naughty
Actually something similar to this has annoyed me for awhile. As a kid growing up and now an adult, I can't ever seem to get much time in to play during the day. The morning is even worse!! Pokémon that appear in the morning? Fat chance at that.

I mean this problem has followed me since Gen 2. I still have a Shiny 5IV Timid Eevee with Egg Moves that I'm trying to evolve into an Espeon, I can't find the time!! I've had Umbreon for awhile now!! I suppose I could change the clock, don't want to mess up any of my stuff though...
Please Leave A Review If We Trade
Trader Review Thread
Pairs: Champion Lunis
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:59 AM
MadKing
The only verdict is Vengeance.

Umbreom itself looks more "Grown Up" than the others Eevolutions he he.
It has a classy/mtsterious looks that none other eevolution gets (well, maybe Espeon, but the pinky color kills it).
Pokémon Blaze Black 2 Egglocke: Complete
Pokémon Emerald Nuzlocke Randomizer: 5/8
Pokémon Sacred Gold Full Team Challenge: 8/16

Old March 12th, 2014, 10:41 AM
-Nai-
Dope Calypso

Nature: Relaxed
Umbreon is only for the cool kids that are allowed to stay up after 10 XD

Old March 13th, 2014, 01:14 PM
orangeralts21
Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet

Nature: Serious
Umbreon requires a little more strategy than other Eeveelutions, or at least the other 4 I know of, if that is what you mean by the adult idea. If you really want to only believe that because of the Day-Night cycle, go ahead, but I think that was pretty smart.

Cassandra's name came from Fading Tree, thanks for the input!

My Zetaboards Nuzlocke Forum Account
Old March 15th, 2014, 05:33 AM
JayGokani

Umbreon is one of my favorite Eeveeolutions but I don't think that it is just for adults
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links