• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creative Writing 101 Week #3: Dialogue

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Sorry for getting this out a little late. It's been one heck of a Monday, so this is the first opportunity I got to post it. Anyway, this week is all about dialogue, so enjoy!

Dialogue​

You may be wondering why I'm spending an entire week on just dialogue, but trust me, we have a lot to go over. Dialogue is extremely important to your story. Often times, it's where your character's personality really comes out. I'm not just talking about what your character says, but how they say it. Besides that, there's the grammar. There's so many things to keep in mind. It's almost as confusing as commas, but I don't think there's anything as confusing as commas.

Anyway, let's start with what your characters are saying. Dialogue can be a great way to convey what your character thinks, feels, and all of that stuff. However, there are good ways, and bad ways, to go about this. The most important thing to remember is that your characters are going to be saying these things. Which means, your dialogue has to sound like real people are going to say it. Otherwise, your character will sound fake, and that's never a good thing. If this is something you struggle with, try acting out your scenes. If you have a hard time saying what you're writing down, it may be time to reconsider.

One common thing I've seen is that writers will use a conversation between two people to convey the history between the two to the reader. Just so that I'm clear, I'll provide an example between an old married couple:
Barry gazed across the room to his wife on the other side. Her eyes were glued to a book, and she was mouthing the words as she read, something Barry always found cute about her. He smiled.

"Do you remember the first time we met, Martha?" Barry asked

Martha looked up from her book. "I think so. Oh, it was so long ago."

Barry stroked his face in a thoughtful manner. "It was back in 1963, July, I think. The sun was shining, but I was stuck inside the mall shopping with my mom. I was browsing the clothing aisles when I saw the most beautiful girl I had ever seen."

Martha chuckled. "And I saw a creepy boy who wouldn't stop staring at me. But, he was kind of cute, so I said 'yes' when he asked me on a date."
Okay, so we now know how the couple met, and roughly how long they knew each other. It seems like a great way to get this information across, but don't. This hardly ever works. I want you to tell me the last time you talked with your best friend about when you two first met. I can say with complete confidence that you can't, simply because it's not something people really talk about. The trick with dialogue is to make it believable, and about things that would seem appropriate at the time. In fact, if you're writing out a conversation correctly, it almost writes itself. You have to let the conversation flow, and the dialogue comes naturally.

Now, it's time to get to the part of writing we all love to hate, grammar. Since dialogue is a flexible part of writing, it can get pretty complicated when it comes to structure and grammar. I'll just start with the basic form:
Billy said, "I love cookies."
"I love cookies," Billy said.
There's two parts here. There's the actual dialogue, and the part that identifies the speaker. To stay away from the obvious, you'll notice that the two parts form one sentence. However, you have to capitalize both parts as if they formed two sentences. It's like the comma that splits the two is actually a period, but it's not. Confusing yet? Now, if you're putting the dialogue first, you only replace the final punctuation with a comma if it's a period. If it's an exclamation point or a question mark, you leave it there.

"I love cookies," Billy said. "There's nothing better than a cookie right out of the oven."
"I love cookies." Billy said, "There's nothing better than a cookie right out of the oven."
When the dialogue is interrupted like this, the only difference would be where the comma is placed. It can go after the first segment of dialogue, or after the identifying segment. It's really up to the writer. One thing to keep in mind though, is flow. In the above examples, I would personally use the top line, simply because it flows better, and it makes the most sense. If I were to use the bottom, it's not wrong, but the flow is interrupted and it sounds, for the lack of a better word, weird.

"I love cookies."
Yes, you can have just dialogue. It's a little riskier because you're not specifically stating who's talking, so make sure you make it obvious with the context of the story.

And that's pretty much all there is to dialogue. It's an important part of any story, you just have to be careful when you go about using it. Make sure that whatever you're writing sounds like something someone would actually say. If you're having trouble with that, try acting the scene out. Grammar can be really confusing, but just remember what I pointed out, and you should be fine. Just keep your head and you'll get the hang of dialogue before you know it.

Homework Assignment:
Alright, it's time to get in touch with your inner critic and fix this following conversation. There will be multiple errors, and I haven't covered all of them here, so make sure to pay attention. I know some of you are a little skeptical about your reviewing skills, so we're going to be working on that as well. Which means, I not only want you to fix it, but point out the mistakes and tell me why it's wrong.
" So, what are you up to?" Henry asked.

" I am up to nothing." Alex replied. "I am playing video games."

" Which game?

" Zombie Takedown 3,"

Oh man, I stink at that game." Henry said, "Hey, you wanna go get sum pizza?"

"Okay, but no pepperoni." Alex replied, pausing his game.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I start by offering up a link to a really old thread here (don't post on it unless you want to try and break bumping records!) http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132528 It's a useful in-depth guide on punctuation and etc with dialogue.

On realistic conversation, I would suggest reading it out loud, as if you are saying it yourself (for bonus marks, pretend you are the character and say it how they would speak). It helps you figure out if it sounds authentic or not.

I will have to disagree on one point though, Nolafus:
"I love cookies," Billy said. "Especially if they have chocolate chips."
"I love cookies." Billy said, "Especially if they have chocolate chips."
When the dialogue is interrupted like this, the only difference would be where the comma is placed. It can go after the first segment of dialogue, or after the identifying segment. It really doesn't matter.
I feel that it can matter (it doesn't always, but that depends on context). Not because it's incorrect (it isn't), but more because the second case sounds off to me when he's saying both lines. In the first case he's clearly continuing (indicated by the second dialogue being within the same paragraph as the first, i.e. same speaker), but the second case seems odd in using said there, because it indicates that he may not have said the first line despite the paragraphing rule suggesting he had. Nitpicky I suppose, but it did sound odd.

Of course, a few changed words does demonstrate the point you intend that grammatically it doesn't matter:
"I love cookies," Billy continued. "Especially if they have chocolate chips."
"I love cookies." Billy continued, "Especially if they have chocolate chips."
But then something does actually change. The first case suggests he spoke earlier, the second one does not. Then you could probably flesh it out...
I love cookies." Billy licked his lips and continued, "Especially if they have chocolate chips."
And that wording wouldn't work as well in terms of flow if you swapped the comma and full stop, imo. All depends on when you decide for a sentence to end and if it makes sense for it to end there.

The point is that dialogue is easy to screw up. I did so myself until someone taught me in a review about mixing up full stops/commas and when to use them at the end of dialogue, haha.

I'll just post this now, and edit in my homework (or post again) later with my answer. Got to do my extra interview questions anyhow. No peaking at other people's responses until you give it a go, everyone! =p

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I see, Bobandbill. Alright, I would have to agree with you. The point I was trying to make was that it could go either way and still be right, but I'll add a little blurb about flow. Thanks for pointing that out!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Someone actually told me to use a comma. D: Like for example:

That's how I've always written my dialogue since I was told that adding the period was incorrect, but now I'm just really confused. ._.

No, that's correct. Which part had you confused? Some of these sections were hard to word properly, so I apologize if there was any confusion.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, it can be easy to get confused about it. Dialogue is a tricky thing.

Here's another way to look at it; maybe that can help.
"I can't believe you did that," I said.
If you wanted to use a full stop after 'you did that', then you would be ending the sentence there. That means that the part following the dialogue would work by itself as its own sentence.
However, 'I said' doesn't work by itself, especially as it's referring directly to the dialogue.

Ergo, you cannot treat that part as a separate sentence, but rather it and the dialogue as one sentence. That's why you cannot use a full stop there. You can use a comma, or exclamation mark, or question mark... just not a full stop in the above example.

An example of when a full stop is fine:
"I can't believe you did that." I then stomped my foot.
"I can't believe you did that!" I then stomped my foot.
'I then stomped my foot' does work as a separate sentence and has no direct reference (or reliance, if you will) to the dialogue, and so you can use a full stop at the end of the dialogue, as a new sentence begins straight after. Likewise, you can still use other punctuation like a ! in this case. But if you are treating 'I then stomped my foot' as a separate sentence to the dialogue, then using a comma would be incorrect.

In the end it always depends on the dialogue and what directly follows it in what punctuation is correct to use.

Spoiler:

In short, you were told correctly, RainbowSky, but hopefully you understand why now. :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2014
I edited the things. Hopefully my explanations for the changes are good enough~

Spoiler:

Vincent

Often moronically charismatic
Years
So yeah, this is what I think was wrong, hope its right to be honest.

Spoiler:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years

Martha looked up from her book, "I think so. Oh, it was so long ago."

Barry stroked his face in a thoughtful manner, "It was back in 1963, July, I think. The sun was shining, but I was stuck inside the mall shopping with my mom. I was browsing the clothing aisles when I saw the most beautiful girl I had ever seen."

Martha chuckled, "And I saw a creepy boy who wouldn't stop staring at me. But, he was kind of cute, so I said 'yes' when he asked me on a date."

Actually, the most of the dialogue in that old people conversation grammatically incorrect.

It should be:

Martha looked up from her book. "I think so. Oh, it was so long ago."

Barry stroked his face in a thoughtful manner. "It was back in 1963, July, I think. The sun was shining, but I was stuck inside the mall shopping with my mom. I was browsing the clothing aisles when I saw the most beautiful girl I had ever seen."

Martha chuckled. "And I saw a creepy boy who wouldn't stop staring at me. But, he was kind of cute, so I said 'yes' when he asked me on a date."

One way I always tell my writers is that if it's not a speaking action, then don't use the comma. This includes actions like chuckling, sighing, laughing, etc.

Also with:

"I love cookies," Billy said. "Especially if they have chocolate chips."

The best way to write that sentence would be...

"I love cookies," Billy said, "especially if they have chocolate chips."

Now if you wanted to give an example of a split...
"I went to the store yesterday," Bob said. "Did you know that milk was on sale?"
Those are two separate sentences.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
You know what? This isn't my week. XD

Thanks for pointing that out Phantom, I'll fix it. I guess that this is further proof on how confusing dialogue can be.

Don't worry, I'll get to the homework soon. It's just been a long day, so I'm going to procrastinate on it a little bit.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Spoiler:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Alright, better late than never! Sorry about that, but I was making sure I had everything down.

@ xXx~MahouShoujoFruitieBasket~xXx
Spoiler:

@ Thy King Slate
Spoiler:

@ Bobandbill
Spoiler:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Spoiler:

Easier assignment, hope I did ok. Sorry its late!

Back