The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: What topic should I cover after Gameplay & Balance?
Post-Game 6 60.00%
Personality and Fun 4 40.00%
A Different Genre, All-Together 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTiKi View Post
YEAAAH AN UPDATE AGAIN. On Fakemon. So what's up? Sorry I wasn't updated yesterday, like I said I would, but got caught up in my ROM hack(which you can check out in signature, hint-hint ;).) I know shameless plug. So for now, I'll ask another question..

Do you have any ideas for hacks that break away from the Pokémon norm(8 badges journey whatever)? If so, tell us a little about it, I love hearing about your ideas :).
I'll check out your hack after I get a working beta for mine lol.

For alternate 'chapters' here are my thoughts:
  • Recruitment
  • Unique story quests which reward with 'Gym' badges
  • Quest Point System
I'll go into more detail on each in the following spoilers.

Recruitment
Spoiler:
Find and capture specific Pokemon as related to the story before the player is allowed to progress to new areas.

Might be a bit difficult without a bit of ASM, but I'm quite new to scripting and hacking in general, so I don't really know what would be required.

The events could probably be set up similar to Legendary Pokemon scripts, each with it's own flag.

Story Quests
Spoiler:
Similar to the above, this would require simple flags. This would replace the Gyms by allowing the player to complete quests related to the story of the hack and be rewarded with Badges, thus allowing them access to new areas.

I suppose it might be comparable to obtaining a new HM so you can access new areas, but that might be a poor comparison.

Quest Point System
Spoiler:
I'm quite certain that this will require a more seasoned scripter, but I think it's the best of the 3 suggestions I've come up with. Complete optional quests to gain quest points which would be added via addvar and prevent the player from moving to core areas without sufficient Quest Points.

I think this one is the best, since it allows for more immersive game play. It allows the hacker to create a number of side quests, and make better use of many of the NPCs in the game, but without forcing the player to do things they may not want to do.

Some quests could be as simple as having more than 1 Pokemon, other quests might require the player to defeat certain trainers, or catch a certain Pokemon.. Or if the hacker has a lot of experience with ASM, you could make minigames and such for the player to compete in!

I think this one has the most room for growth, and also moves the farthest from the classic 8 gym experience.

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:08 PM
DJTiKi
Just Some Average Anthropomorphic Gallade

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to DJTiKi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Prixy View Post

Quest Point System
Spoiler:
I'm quite certain that this will require a more seasoned scripter, but I think it's the best of the 3 suggestions I've come up with. Complete optional quests to gain quest points which would be added via addvar and prevent the player from moving to core areas without sufficient Quest Points.

I think this one is the best, since it allows for more immersive game play. It allows the hacker to create a number of side quests, and make better use of many of the NPCs in the game, but without forcing the player to do things they may not want to do.

Some quests could be as simple as having more than 1 Pokemon, other quests might require the player to defeat certain trainers, or catch a certain Pokemon.. Or if the hacker has a lot of experience with ASM, you could make minigames and such for the player to compete in!

I think this one has the most room for growth, and also moves the farthest from the classic 8 gym experience.
Gotta say, this is a very good idea :D. I was thought of a way to implement sidequests in hacks, just couldn't really good grasp on it. Maybe a checkvar of some sort to check, if a specific sidequests was done, so that other branches wothin the same sidequest arc is open(like talk to this guy to get the sidequest to get a legendary or this sidequests has so and parts to it). It really adds a layer of depth, that really be taken advantage of. i'm also stealing your idea and will not give credit....jk xD

Nice idea on the matter. It'll be a fresh breathe, if a hacker, can take full advantage of. I think I should, maybe, perhaps, talk about immersion and NPC interaction on a future update, now that I think of it.

Got a knack in Hacking? Then you should probably click that picture. I'm still waiting....sooooooo nice weather isn't it?.

Links For All The Things:
DJTiKi's Guide To Planning Your Awesome ROM Hack! Planning For Dummies
The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things!
A (Very) Short Dictionary To ROM Hacking Lingo!
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Quote:
Gotta say, this is a very good idea :D. I was thought of a way to implement sidequests in hacks, just couldn't really good grasp on it. Maybe a checkvar of some sort to check, if a specific sidequests was done, so that other branches wothin the same sidequest arc is open(like talk to this guy to get the sidequest to get a legendary or this sidequests has so and parts to it). It really adds a layer of depth, that really be taken advantage of. i'm also stealing your idea and will not give credit....jk xD

Nice idea on the matter. It'll be a fresh breathe, if a hacker, can take full advantage of. I think I should, maybe, perhaps, talk about immersion and NPC interaction on a future update, now that I think of it.
Firstly, I don't need credit. You can if you want, but it's not required. (That goes for everyone reading this as well, if you choose to use such a system) Too much work needing to be done, and I've only given a basic idea. So that's that lol.

About checkvar: Is there a way to see if a variable is OVER a certain number? I only know of a way to check to find exact values, not greater-than-or-equal-to values. That's the one reason I was a bit leery as to suggest it.

NPC Interaction: This might be a bit useless for most hacks. Many players don't bother talking to NPCs. I'm ecstatic when I talk to NPCs and find them saying funny or exciting stuff, because it's a tiny little extra that I get out of the hack. However, I find that many players won't stop to talk to the NPCs unless they are stuck, so it might be a wasted effort on your part to focus on that too greatly. It's a wonderful concept, and a feature that many ignore completely, but that's also because the typical player won't talk to most NPCs.

Immersion: This has got to be the most important factor in hacks! Without proper immersion every hack out there is just a remake.. but with immersion most of those hacks become their own story, independent of the Pokemon series. Instead of being a mere canon to the main series, immersion based hacks have their own story and really give the player a feeling of playing a new game! I can't explain it in words, but I truly feel that this is the most important factor in hacking, and luckily, most hackers seem to think so as well, since we rarely see "dev notes" in game, except in early betas.

Well, that's all for this post. Thanks for the hasty and thoughtful feedback, and for accepting opinions of others~ Thanks! Looking forward to future updates~

Old July 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Wendle
Not So Standard Trainer

Nature: Modest
Theres one thing I've been curious about is the limitations of hacking and the ROMs space etc. The reason why i bring this is because when designing a hack you will need to learn what you can't do from (lack of knowledge) or you ;itteraly can't do. Now I will agree that most of this comes from experience but it would still be a valid point to raise IMHO

Manic Street Preachers
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Project Battlekin

Wait what...
your updates say you've added the fakemon part but it doesnt come up for me.... its only up to 'the pokemon themselves'

Looking for Gen 3 Fakemon spriter.
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
DJTiKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Battlekin View Post
Wait what...
your updates say you've added the fakemon part but it doesnt come up for me.... its only up to 'the pokemon themselves'
Sorry for the confusion, my Fakémon updates are on Page 2. I reached a character limit on my first post, so future updates will be there.

Got a knack in Hacking? Then you should probably click that picture. I'm still waiting....sooooooo nice weather isn't it?.

Old July 29th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Project Battlekin

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, my Fakémon updates are on Page 2. I reached a character limit on my first post, so future updates will be there.
Fufufu... should have made reserved posts huh?
Still AWESOME guide bruh.

Looking for Gen 3 Fakemon spriter.
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:59 PM
DJTiKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Battlekin View Post
Fufufu... should have made reserved posts huh?
Still AWESOME guide bruh.
I did reserve posts, until I thought it'd be more convient for everything to be on the first post, then there was a character limit .

Glad it's working out for you though.

Old July 29th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Nice addition to the guide brah. This actually got me thinking to change a few things concerning a certain endgame Fakemon in my hack (actually one of only 2 Fakemon), who is designed to be super-powerful. I think I may have made him TOO powerful though. Base 180 attack stat plus Tough Claws. xD
Old July 29th, 2014, 01:56 PM
DJTiKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
Nice addition to the guide brah. This actually got me thinking to change a few things concerning a certain endgame Fakemon in my hack (actually one of only 2 Fakemon), who is designed to be super-powerful. I think I may have made him TOO powerful though. Base 180 attack stat plus Tough Claws. xD
Yeah, there is a point for TOO powerful. At least, it didn't have Huge Power. xD

Old July 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000

Quote:
Yeah, there is a point for TOO powerful. At least, it didn't have Huge Power. xD
Funny thing is, I planned for it to have Huge Power at first, but have a really terrible Speed stat to offset that. Plus its signature move would make it rest a turn. xD

I'll probably give it Pressure, which is standard for many legendary Pokemon.
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Quote:
Funny thing is, I planned for it to have Huge Power at first, but have a really terrible Speed stat to offset that. Plus its signature move would make it rest a turn. xD

I'll probably give it Pressure, which is standard for many legendary Pokemon.
Just don't give it Wonder Guard.

Wonder Guard is so overpowered, it's not even fair. (Can something that is defense oriented be Over Powered? Huh.)

Old July 29th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000

Quote:
Just don't give it Wonder Guard.

Wonder Guard is so overpowered, it's not even fair. (Can something that is defense oriented be Over Powered? Huh.)
I'd never consider Wonder Guard. I can't stand that ability. Nobody wants another Wondertomb situation (though a well-aimed Moonblast could take it out). xD

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for a defense-oriented Pokemon to be OP. Mega Venusaur is a perfect example, as its ability gets rid of 2 of its major weaknesses. That and the fact that it possesses healing in Synthesis makes it one of the more annoying Pokemon to battle. Or Cloyster, whose Skill Link ability + Shell Smash can be very devastating, especially if it's holding a White Herb. And when used effectively, Skarmory can be pretty b0ss. I'd also give honorable mention to Florges, if you can set up a few Calm Minds.
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Quote:
I'd never consider Wonder Guard. I can't stand that ability. Nobody wants another Wondertomb situation (though a well-aimed Moonblast could take it out). xD

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for a defense-oriented Pokemon to be OP. Mega Venusaur is a perfect example, as its ability gets rid of 2 of its major weaknesses. That and the fact that it possesses healing in Synthesis makes it one of the more annoying Pokemon to battle. Or Cloyster, whose Skill Link ability + Shell Smash can be very devastating, especially if it's holding a White Herb. And when used effectively, Skarmory can be pretty b0ss. I'd also give honorable mention to Florges, if you can set up a few Calm Minds.
I was thinking of Salamence, actually xD Ran into a wild Salamence Lv83. I had a team of 6 level 100's. I lost. So yeah.

That reminds me, DJTiKi did you plan to add a section dedicated to custom abilities/moves/animations/etc? Just thought I'd ask, since you have a Fakemon section.

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:42 AM
DJTiKi

Quote:
I was thinking of Salamence, actually xD Ran into a wild Salamence Lv83. I had a team of 6 level 100's. I lost. So yeah.

That reminds me, DJTiKi did you plan to add a section dedicated to custom abilities/moves/animations/etc? Just thought I'd ask, since you have a Fakemon section.
Haven't really thought of it, actually xD. But if that's what you guys want, I'l do it, in its own section.

Old July 30th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000

I think it's a good idea. We don't want people creating 100% accurate moves with base 200 power and no repercussions. xD
Old July 30th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Quote:
Haven't really thought of it, actually xD. But if that's what you guys want, I'l do it, in its own section.
I think it definitely deserves mention, though I don't really see a need for a tutorial here. I've seen a few others around, so I think just adding a small section mentioning the options and the pros/cons of adding such.

Old July 30th, 2014, 06:28 PM
DJTiKi

So I guess I definetly should then. :p

Alright I will. Btw, I haven't updated in a while....I really need to soon. Tommorow, hopefully,

Old August 1st, 2014, 11:25 AM
DJTiKi

Well that does it, for Fakémon The deed is done. Now since there is a new update, I'll ask another question:

Do you prefer your starters to be Fire, Water, and Grass, or something else?

Old August 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Quote:
Do you prefer your starters to be Fire, Water, and Grass, or something else?
I think that the starters should always revolve around the plot.

If you have a plot based on the main series, it's probably best to keep Fire Water and Grass. But if your story focuses on evil you should have a Poison type, a Dark Type, and something else that's often used by evil for the third.

Doesn't make much sense to see a Grass type Pokemon in a land that's been burned to cinders (for plots that involve Team Magma having succeeded) or to have Fire Pokemon in a region with practically no land. (Team Aqua succeeded) So I think it comes down to plot.

I also worry about balance. What I mean is, if the region has a bunch of forests with Bug and Grass types early on, you shouldn't get a Fire Type so early. Not unless there is a good balance of non-grass, non-bug types to make you want to train other Pokemon.

Note: It also gets really annoying when I go into a forest and see nothing but bug Pokemon. Other types live in forest, but it seems like developers forget that sometimes.

I guess it's a bit difficult for me to really put it into words, but I think Starter Pokemon should always relate to the plot, at least on some basic level. For example:
Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander were given as choice starters to everyone who came of age in the anime. This created the back story for them to be chosen in the official games. (Yes, two different Pokemon worlds, but still) However, in most hacks there is little information as to why you are being given one of three Pokemon. Why these three? Why not a different three? And why are they giving Pokemon out for free anyway? But I digress.

tl;dr Starters should be based on the story of the hack.

PS Thanks for the update~

Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:09 AM
Darkrai Lv.1000

The starters don't always have to be Fire/Water/Grass IMO. It works though, because of the rock, paper, scissors effect between them. One always has an advantage and disadvantage to another, which is a great way for beginners to learn about weaknesses and resistances. Though another trio that works this way is Fighting, Dark, Psychic. xD

But should it always be a choice of three, however? If the story is done a certain way, maybe it makes sense for the player to only get one certain Pokemon (like Ash receiving Pikachu). Or you're playing as a bad guy whose team just stole a bunch of Pokemon at the game's beginning, and you can choose from, say, 7.

So starters and their typing all really depend on the atmosphere of the hack itself. I don't have a personal preference on the types though, but it should at least make sense.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
~Justified~
~Working On A New Rom Hack~

Nature: Brave
Love this guide. Reading it has helped me plan/organize my hack a lot better, and everyone's posts here are helping me learn what to do/not to do in my hack (what players want to see more of, what they want to see less of, etc) For example, after reading some of these comments, I've decided that I'll give NPC Interaction much more thought than usual, as well as many other things.

I look forward to more from this thread
John 15:13

Pokemon Rom Hacker
Looking For:
Anyone willing to help with the game.
Pokemon Team Building Guide
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
Prixy
The Vulpix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Guard View Post
Love this guide. Reading it has helped me plan/organize my hack a lot better, and everyone's posts here are helping me learn what to do/not to do in my hack (what players want to see more of, what they want to see less of, etc) For example, after reading some of these comments, I've decided that I'll give NPC Interaction much more thought than usual, as well as many other things.

I look forward to more from this thread:)
Seeing this post made me smile.

This proves that DJTiKi's guide, and our opinions, really get through to the hackers of PC and it shows that we can really improve the quality of the hacks PC's community produces, even if it takes a while to do so xD

Just wanted to say thank you to Magic Guard and DJTiKi for taking time to improve the quality of things around here.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:29 PM
DJTiKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Guard View Post

I look forward to more from this thread
Quote:
Seeing this post made me smile.

This proves that DJTiKi's guide, and our opinions, really get through to the hackers of PC and it shows that we can really improve the quality of the hacks PC's community produces, even if it takes a while to do so xD

Just wanted to say thank you to Magic Guard and DJTiKi for taking time to improve the quality of things around here.
Thank you guys, for being very supportive of the guide. You guys, are why, I continue to write it. Even if it takes me forever to do so xD. The support for this is so great, and couldn't thank you anyone, whether you just came by to read it, and give your opinions on the matter.

Thank you all.,

Old August 4th, 2014, 01:58 PM
DJTiKi

OMIGOSH I just updated :o now including Starters. And do you know what that means: I get to ask another question...

So Finales, are important to a game. Do you think that the Finale, should be based on the plot or should conclude at the Elite Four?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links