Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks
Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Post Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth

Advertise here
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SACRED PARADOX
A FireRed Hack



Hey guys. Some of you may remember me from back in the day with my Mewtwo Strikes Back hack that was cancelled. Most of you won't know who I am, however. Anyways, that's besides the point.

What if there was a Zelda hack of Pokemon that had no Pokemon, instead, only Zelda creatures, and their moves were based on what they'd have in the Zelda games?

I demand a Zelda fan-service game in Pokemon format. Looks like for that to happen, I gotta make it haha.







I know there have been other Zelda Pokemon hacks in the past, most or all of which never made it to fruition, but this idea is slightly different.


STORY:


Imagine the game doesn't play like a Pokemon game at all. Instead, it's like a Gameboy Zelda game but with Pokemon battles as the new game mechanic. There are no gyms, instead, there are dungeons. There's no Pokemon League, but a final boss. No Pokemon Centers, instead, Fairy Fountains.

In this story, you'd assume the role of Link, but without a sword.
Instead, as we've been coming up with in this thread, Link will use his Triforce of Courage to use the power of Farore to capture creatures in Gems. The higher quality Gem, the higher catch rate.

Here's a rough draft to the beginning of the game:
Spoiler:
The Festival of the Sages is happening at Saisei Village outside of Hyrule Castle. Link is to play a role in escorting the Princess Zelda from the Castle to the festival. After going north of Saisei Village to the castle and meeting up with the princess, she waits for him in the castle courtyard while the King's adviser briefs Link on the ceremony. When Link exits the castle, he immediately notices the castle guards have been slain aside from the one still guarding Zelda, and Ganondorf approaches. A storm starts and Ganondorf thwarts the guard protecting Zelda by summoning a minion. Link runs in to save her, but is knocked out.

Link awakens in a fairy fountain. Farore explains that Ganondorf has found a way to corrupt the Sacred Realm, using Zelda as a catalyst to open and maintain his gate. Monsters have appeared all over Hyrule, and citizens have become delusional. They all believe Ganondorf is the ruler of Hyrule and very few know of the Sages. Link must retrieve the Artifacts of Age from the far reaches of Hyrule to ultimately enter the sacred realm and rescue Princess Zelda, and restore Hyrule. To do so, Farore bestows Link the power to use magic crystals found through the land to tame monsters and raise them to defeat Ganondorf's evil forces.

Farore gives Link the choice between one of three companions to start his journey, a Deku, Zora Baby or Goron Kid. Link chooses one and Farore leaves on a note that if he does not stop Ganondorf before he takes control of the Sacred Realm then Hyrule will perish.

When Link leaves the Fairy Fountain, he finds himself back in Saisei Village. The citizens are all hiding in their homes, as Ganon's Castle Guards terrorize them. He cannot leave the village until he visits the Happy Mask Shop, where he meets the Happy Mask Salesman.

He has been sent on a mission by Nayru to assist the Hero of Time. The Mask Salesman will act as a guide to Link for where to go and for what. Mysteriously, he will appear in towns across Hyrule and offer to store Link's companions until he needs them again. Link will need to visit the fairy fountains to heal his wounded companions. Crystals to obtain new companions will be found scattered around, and some merchants will sell them (Beadle maybe, maybe the Goron merchant too?).

Link's first quest sends him through the Lost Woods to the Deku Palace to retrieve the first Artifact of Age, the Artifact of Flora.




SCREENSHOTS:




This isn't yet inserted as I feel it's missing something(Like the sword behind the logo, but something unique to this game), but here's a mockup of the titlescreen:


CREATURES:

Not based on one specific Zelda game, it could have monsters from all of the Zelda games, obtainable and trainable, and also evolving.

-Here's a page where you can find Zelda enemies-

Different evolutions that don't exist in the Zelda games could be created, if they seem to be in a Zelda style.

Bosses will be like Legendaries



COMPLETED SPRITES:


Spoiler:


(As of 8/29/14)


(As of 8/27/14)




ITEMS:

Here's a list of all the items in FRLG but with notes on whether or not it'll be used and what the new names will be. (?) means I don't know yet, and (-------) means I'm leaving it out of the game.

Spoiler:

Potion (Small Heart)
Super Potion (Heart)
Hyper Potion (Large Heart)
Max Potion (Red Potion)
Full Restore(Mushroom)
Fresh Water (Fresh Water)
Soda Pop (---------)
Lemonade (---------)
Moo Moo Milk (Lon Lon Milk)
Energy Root (?)
Energy Powder (?)
Berry Juice (?)
Sacred Ash (Blue Potion)

RECOVERY
Ether (Sm. MagicJar)
Max Ether (MagicJar)
Elixir (-------)
Max Elixir (Green Potion)
Revival Herb (Same)
Revive (----------)
Max Revive(Fairy)

STATUS RECOVERY:
Antidote (Same)
Awakening (Same)
Burn Heal (Same)
Ice Heal (Same)
Paralyz Heal (Same)
Full Heal (Deku Food)
Lava Cookie (Goron Food)
Heal Powder (Zora Food)

ABILITY ENHANCERS:
Calcium (same)
Carbos (same)
HP Up (same)
Iron (same)
PP Max (MP Max)
PP Up (MP up)
Protein (same)
Rare Candy (Heart Container)
Zinc (same)

BATTLE ENHANCERS:
Dire Hit (?)
Guard Spec (?)
X Accuracy (?)
X Attack (?)
X Defend (?)
X Special (?)
X Speed (?)

HOLD ITEMS:
Amulet Coin (Sakon's Coin)
Black Belt (?)
Blackglasses (?)
Bright Powder (?)
Charcoal (?)
Choice Band (?)
Cleanse Tag (?)
Deepseascale (-------)
Deepseatooth (-------)
Dragon Fang (?)
Dragon Scale (-------)
Everstone (?)
Exp Share (?)
Focus Band (?)
Hard Stone (Goron's Rock)
King's Rock)
Lax Incense (-------)
Leftovers (?)
Light Ball (-------)
Lucky Egg (Windfish Egg)
Lucky Punch (-------)
Macho Brace (?)
Magnet (Same)
Mental Herb (?)
Metal Coat (?)
Metal Powder (-------)
Miracle Seed (Deku Seed)
Mystic Water (Zora Charm)
Nevermeltice (?)
Poison Barb (?)
Quick Claw (?)
Scope Lens (?)
Sea Incense (?)
Sharp Beak (?)
Shell Bell (-------)
Silk Scarf (?)
Silverpowder (?)
Smoke Ball (?)
Soft Sand (?)
Soothe Bell (?)
Soul Dew (-------)
Spell Tag (?)
Stick (-------)
Thick Club (-------)
Twisted Spoon (?)
White Herb (?)

CONTEST SCARFS
None. No need.

MISC:
Black Flute (?)
Blue Flute (?)
Red Flute (?)
White Flute (?)
Yellow Flute (?)
((These gave me an idea that I wouldn't know how to implement with ocarina songs for warping....))

EVOLUTION STONES:
Moon Stone (Moon Tear?)
Fire Stone (?)
Leaf Stone (?)
Thunderstone (?)
Sun Stone (?)
Water Stone (?)
Upgrade (-------)

SHARDS:
Maybe they can be replaced with dungeon keys, I dunno.

OTHER:
Escape Rope (Magic Rope)
Fluffy Tail (Deku Nut)
Pokedoll (Yoshi Doll? Link's Awakening anyone?)
Shoal Salt (-------)
Shoal Shell (-------)
Repel (?)
Max Repel (?)
Super Repel (?)

ORNAMENTALS(Sell for Money)
Big Pearl (?)
Big Mushroom (?)
Heart Scale (?)
Nuggest (?)
Pearl (?)
Star Piece (?)
Stardust (?)
Tinymushroom (?)

POKEBALLS: As a rule, items are limited to 12 characters. Calling them a 'crystal' takes up 8, because of the necessary space, leaving room for only 4 more characters. That's why they'll just be called gems.
Pokeball (Faded Gem)
Great Ball (Weak Gem)
Ultra Ball (Great Gem)
Master Ball (Farore's Gem)
Dive Ball (-------)
Luxury Ball (Lon Lon Gem)
Nest Ball (Nest Gem)
Net Ball (Net Gem)
Premier Pall (?)
Repeat Ball (Repeat Gem)
Safari Ball (?)
Timer Ball (?)

MAIL:
No.

KEY ITEMS:
Aurora Ticket: (?)
Berry Bag: (Seed Satchel?)
Bike: (Epona)
Bike Voucher: (-------)
Card Key: (?)
Coin Case: (-------)
Dome Fossil: (?)
Fame Checker: (Either unused or Bombers Notebook. Will probably not be used though.)
Gold Teeth: (?)
Good Rod: (?)
Helix Fossil (?)
Itemfinder (-------)
Lift Key (?)
Meteorite (?)
Mystery Ticket (?)
Oak's Parcel (?)
Old Amber (?)
Old Rod (?)
Pokeflute (If I can get songs working instead of fly, Ocarina)
Powder Jar: (?)
Rainbow Pass (?)
Ruby (?)
Sapphire (?)
Secret Key (?)
Silph Scope (?)
SS Ticket (?)
Super Rod (?)
Tea (?)
Teachy TV (-------)
Tri Pass (?)
Vs Seeker (?)



CREDITS:

Graphics:
The Spriter's Resource
Zeldapedia
AlBryce(Titlescreen Background)
hikolol35(Epona)
DragonDeplatino(DekuGuard OWs)

Tutorials/Important Tips:
DiegoIsAwesome(A lot. Thank you Diego!)
Itari (Textcolor Hex tip, Bootscreen editing Tutorial)
Team Fail(Seriously, music hacking just got 10,000x easier, how can this method not be the norm?)
Magnius(Also a lot haha :D)
Teh Blazer(XSE Mr. Miyagi)
karatekid552(Hex Editing the Start Map from JPAN's engine)
NarutoActor(Tile Animation Tutorial)
Bela(Beginning dungeon scripting, thanks so much Bela!)
Le Pug(Those shop scripts seriously help, thanks a lot Le!)


Special Mention:
Machomuu
DJTiKi
GoldfishHorde
DarkSneasel
MrMako
Josefig
kboy6
LinkAndZelda
Zeikku
AvatarKris

Tiles and overworld graphics will be in a revamped variant of the Gameboy Color Zelda games, drawing inspiration from other 2D Zelda games, particularly the Capcom games Oracle of Seasons and Ages. For now, I'm only inserting the basic tiles with new palettes, as later in production they may be revamped, but we need the basic building blocks for something to start, right?


So...
Instead of a bike, Epona.
Instead of Running shoes, Pegasus boots.
Surfing could be changed through ASM to using a key item, flippers.

And since I mainly do mapping, graphics and music inserting, I'd need the assistance of people who do scripting and ASM hacking, other things could be possible, such as bombs for opening walls, or maybe HMs would be the way to go for puzzles.


FAQ:


Q) Are you going to have items such as the arrows or bombs as battle moves?
A) No.

Q) Why did you change the name from Echoes of Time to Sacred Paradox?
A) There's a final fantasy game called Echoes of Time, and there's another very popular Zelda fan game in production called Echoes of Aurelia. To limit confusion and to give this game a unique name, it was changed.

Q) Are you adding in new moves from Gen(x)?

A) Nope. Some moves will be renamed, all are decapped, but they'll remain close to FireRed.

Q) Are you adding in new types from Gen(x)?
A) Also no. I'm fairly confident that most Zelda monsters can fit into the categories listed in the original game, though I may add in a type for humans such as the Gerudo.

Q) Why didn't you use Emerald as a base?

A) Actually, depending on how things go, I may switch to Emerald at some point.

Q) How many Pokemon will be in the game?

A) I'm aiming for around 100 creatures, maybe 150 by final release.

Q) Why didn't you use Minish Cap graphics?
A) I prefer the oracle games, and with the graphics being more retro production time is seriously helped.

Q) Can I be a beta tester?

A) Sorry, the demos will be released to everyone at the same time.



SUPPORT:

Code:



Last edited by Meowth; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:27 PM.
  #2    
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:35 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
The heck? Meowth in the Rom Hacking section? In 2014? Clearly a lot has gone down in the past 5 years that I missed out on.

I like the idea, but I do have to ask for clarification: are you a monster tamer? I mean, it's not completely unlikely that one of Link's incarnations would drop the Master Sword for the Master Ball, but I do wonder how that would work out.
  #3    
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Hah, yeah, I know, not in the Game Dev section this time around. I've renewed my appreciation in Rom hacks thanks to playing LaZ and Zeikku's Liquid Crystal. But anyways, yeah, this is my first time back here in years.

Anyways, yeah, Link would be a tamer of sorts. I'm not sure exactly how that could go down in the storyline, as he wouldn't be fighting as himself and he'd be using some sort of variant of a Pokeball, but should be many ways to do this. (Maybe bottles, like when you capture the Deku Princess? Just kidding haha, but suggestions are appreciated.)

As for villains and rivals, Zelda is FULL of characters... shouldn't be hard either. And the legendaries can be the bosses... or depending on how people feel about it, maybe even Din, Farore and Nayru as the BIG Legendaries.


EDIT:

I have stuff to do, but working on Moosh from the Oracle games now. Think of a Snorlax who can learn Fly hahaha


Spoiler:
Actually, there may be a different system to fly than the move.
Spoiler:
If I can get an ocarina to work.

Last edited by Meowth; August 17th, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
  #4    
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:51 PM
! AvatarKris !'s Avatar
! AvatarKris !
Progress is DEAD...
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caribbean !!!
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Please bro, I want some more Deku shrub lovin'!
It's me AvatarKris, I'mma that crazy dude who was stalking you .... whut, you remember me ? *Stalking Fail*


Support
Pokemon Manga Red
  #5    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:13 PM
eeveeandmew's Avatar
eeveeandmew
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
This seems cool, but you forgot floor masters! I wont play it if it does not have Chugga's most hated zelda enemy
x fc: 5327-1324-7691
grass type safari
I support Meoth's newest hack!

Join my new RP!
Want to battle this team? Tell me if you do!
  #6    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:13 PM
GoldfishHorde's Avatar
GoldfishHorde
Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outside of a Sewage Treatment Plant
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Oh boy, this sounds interesting! Perhaps have Ganondorf have a similar role to Giovanni?

Also, for the fairies(assuming the sprite with two is a basic stage Pokemon), perhaps have them evolve into a swarm of different colored fairies before evolving into a Great Fairy(like the ones in Wind Waker). Since Fairy type isn't in FireRed, Psychic/Flying could be a good typing. Just throwing ideas out there!
  #7    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:16 PM
eeveeandmew's Avatar
eeveeandmew
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishHorde View Post
Oh boy, this sounds interesting! Perhaps have Ganondorf have a similar role to Giovanni?

Also, for the fairies(assuming the sprite with two is a basic stage Pokemon), perhaps have them evolve into a swarm of different colored fairies before evolving into a Great Fairy(like the ones in Wind Waker). Since Fairy type isn't in FireRed, Psychic/Flying could be a good typing. Just throwing ideas out there!
You should use these! I like them
x fc: 5327-1324-7691
grass type safari
I support Meoth's newest hack!

Join my new RP!
Want to battle this team? Tell me if you do!
  #8    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeveeandmew View Post
This seems cool, but you forgot floor masters! I wont play it if it does not have Chugga's most hated zelda enemy
Well I can't have forgotten them because I only listed a few monsters for an example lol

But my understanding is they're practically the same monster, just one turns into 3 smaller monsters when you kill it. That would be really hard if not impossible for me to do in a Pokemon battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishHorde View Post
Oh boy, this sounds interesting! Perhaps have Ganondorf have a similar role to Giovanni?

Also, for the fairies(assuming the sprite with two is a basic stage Pokemon), perhaps have them evolve into a swarm of different colored fairies before evolving into a Great Fairy(like the ones in Wind Waker). Since Fairy type isn't in FireRed, Psychic/Flying could be a good typing. Just throwing ideas out there!
The story isn't intended to just be Pokemon with Zelda characters, it's intended more to be a Zelda game using Pokemon as it's new combat mechanic haha. So Ganondorf would be like Giovanni in the way that Giovanni has Mewtwo, and when you fight Ganondorf maybe you'd fight Ganon instead. Maybe you even automatically receive certain monsters after battling them? Little things to work out, but keep the ideas rolling! And yes, the fairies will turn into a great fairy I was thinking those fairies would be the first evolution, maybe these as a second before the great fairy?



Or maybe they'll be a different monster altogether, like Caterpies and Weedles.

Last edited by Meowth; July 14th, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
  #9    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard the Arc-Gurren
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I like this idea! Link being a monster tamer this time around is a pretty good concept.

If you're still thinking about capture devices, there are a lot of possibilities, from the Bug Catching Net to the Empty Bottle. Or, how about his fairy/companion (if you choose to give him one) would attempt to "purify" the monster. xD

If you end up wanting to include the Master Sword, why not make it into a "Pokemon" like the monsters and you'd get it late-game? Though it might make the game too easy, being the Blade of Evil's Bane and all. xD

And nice sprites, by the way. I definitely support this. :D
  #10    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:24 PM
eeveeandmew's Avatar
eeveeandmew
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
Master sword= an Aegislash XD would be cool.
x fc: 5327-1324-7691
grass type safari
I support Meoth's newest hack!

Join my new RP!
Want to battle this team? Tell me if you do!
  #11    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:32 PM
GoldfishHorde's Avatar
GoldfishHorde
Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outside of a Sewage Treatment Plant
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
I like this idea! Link being a monster tamer this time around is a pretty good concept.

If you're still thinking about capture devices, there are a lot of possibilities, from the Bug Catching Net to the Empty Bottle. Or, how about his fairy/companion (if you choose to give him one) would attempt to "purify" the monster. xD

If you end up wanting to include the Master Sword, why not make it into a "Pokemon" like the monsters and you'd get it late-game? Though it might make the game too easy, being the Blade of Evil's Bane and all. xD

And nice sprites, by the way. I definitely support this. :D
I imagine it would pretty awkard for Link to throw a Bottle into battle and have explode, revealing a monster. But it could work.

That reminds me, Pokemonfying certain items within the Zelda franchise could lead to some interesting Pokemon. For example, Hookshot to Longshot to Clawshot or Arrows to Fire Arrows or to Ice Arrows or to Light Arrows, making it a branched evolution. Just try and make these items Pokemon like so they'll fit. Think Honedge, not just a floating sword with googly eyes slapped on.
  #12    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:36 PM
eeveeandmew's Avatar
eeveeandmew
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
The 3 little ones together could be a different form? Or similar? As long as Floor masters and redeads are both in, i will play it so that I can have Chugga's worst zelda nightmares on my team!
x fc: 5327-1324-7691
grass type safari
I support Meoth's newest hack!

Join my new RP!
Want to battle this team? Tell me if you do!
  #13    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:42 PM
DJTiKi's Avatar
DJTiKi
The Pokémon Idealist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Where The Sun Don't Shine
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to DJTiKi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishHorde View Post
I imagine it would pretty awkard for Link to throw a Bottle into battle and have explode, revealing a monster. But it could work.

That reminds me, Pokemonfying certain items within the Zelda franchise could lead to some interesting Pokemon. For example, Hookshot to Longshot to Clawshot or Arrows to Fire Arrows or to Ice Arrows or to Light Arrows, making it a branched evolution. Just try and make these items Pokemon like so they'll fit. Think Honedge, not just a floating sword with googly eyes slapped on.
The arrows could potentially be the "eevee" of that game I like this idea alot, butnof course, you'll need to look into a lot of different Zelda enemies. But you have to do something about Gohma's "reincarnations" in later entries.
  #14    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:47 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I really don't think making items into Pokemon is a good idea, it would take away from the immersion of the hack and wouldn't really feel like Zelda. It'd feel like...well, Pokemon with a Zelda texture.

If the items were really going to be used in battle, why not just use them as separate versions of Link (as in, in Sprite and moveset)? This was an idea I had for one of my other non-Pokemon ideas, but creating a separate version of Link that uses that item would work just fine, as it's basically Link equipping the item.
  #15    
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeveeandmew View Post
The 3 little ones together could be a different form? Or similar? As long as Floor masters and redeads are both in, i will play it so that I can have Chugga's worst zelda nightmares on my team!

I could have the Floormasters evolve into the Wallmasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishHorde View Post

That reminds me, Pokemonfying certain items within the Zelda franchise could lead to some interesting Pokemon. For example, Hookshot to Longshot to Clawshot or Arrows to Fire Arrows or to Ice Arrows or to Light Arrows, making it a branched evolution. Just try and make these items Pokemon like so they'll fit. Think Honedge, not just a floating sword with googly eyes slapped on.
I don't know if there'd be a point in turning items into monsters. I always hated that about the newer gens... Call me a genwunner(even though I like the first 3 gens) and sure, we had Magnemite, but magnets are a naturally occurring thing. Trashbags and icecream cones lol... so yeah I don't know about the inanimate objects being used for pokemon battles. However, if there was a way to do ASM hacking and allow for Key Items to be used for HM moves, I could see the master sword being used for cut, maybe even if you cut the grass it has a higher chance of a battle, and if I'm REALLY lucky and find someone who knows what they're doing, the L and R buttons could be used to switch between items or something. Just a thought, really really reaching there haha. I still think those key items should be found in a chest in the dungeon though. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
If you're still thinking about capture devices, there are a lot of possibilities, from the Bug Catching Net to the Empty Bottle. Or, how about his fairy/companion (if you choose to give him one) would attempt to "purify" the monster. xD
I was thinking about that, what if Link received an item, such as a staff or something that needed a certain type of crystal or something to capture and use the monsters? There could be weaker crystals(or whatever), like the pokeball, etc etc etc to the Masterball type crystal? the animation for him sending out the Pokemon would be him using the staff or something. You'd need to buy the crystals from the shops of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
I really don't think making items into Pokemon is a good idea, it would take away from the immersion of the hack and wouldn't really feel like Zelda. It'd feel like...well, Pokemon with a Zelda texture.

If the items were really going to be used in battle, why not just use them as separate versions of Link (as in, in Sprite and moveset)? This was an idea I had for one of my other non-Pokemon ideas, but creating a separate version of Link that uses that item would work just fine, as it's basically Link equipping the item.
You're on the same page as me I see. There's the open Fishing animations, as I probably won't need that.... maybe. I dunno yet, but it could be used for the sword I guess.


Thanks for the replies guys, you're really helping me flesh this thing out.

SIDE NOTE:
Still working on Moosh's shading, here's the progress.
  #16    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:03 PM
GoldfishHorde's Avatar
GoldfishHorde
Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outside of a Sewage Treatment Plant
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
When this comes out(assuming it does get made), I'm naming Moosh, "Charmin". And he'll hold a Cleanse Tag at all times.
  #17    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:06 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowth View Post
I don't know if there'd be a point in turning items into monsters. I always hated that about the newer gens... Call me a genwunner(even though I like the first 3 gens) and sure, we had Magnemite, but magnets are a naturally occurring thing. Trashbags and icecream cones lol... so yeah I don't know about the inanimate objects being used for pokemon battles. However, if there was a way to do ASM hacking and allow for Key Items to be used for HM moves, I could see the master sword being used for cut, maybe even if you cut the grass it has a higher chance of a battle, and if I'm REALLY lucky and find someone who knows what they're doing, the L and R buttons could be used to switch between items or something. Just a thought, really really reaching there haha. I still think those key items should be found in a chest in the dungeon though. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
It's definitely possible, it's actually a...I don't want to say relatively common feature, because you actually don't see it too often, but it is implemented into various hacks and it's at least a widely acknowledged technique. I've always been a fan of it myself due to the difficult and spacious nature of HMs, and in this context it would work great, especially thanks to Select Hotkeying.

Quote:
I was thinking about that, what if Link received an item, such as a staff or something that needed a certain type of crystal or something to capture and use the monsters? There could be weaker crystals(or whatever), like the pokeball, etc etc etc to the Masterball type crystal? the animation for him sending out the Pokemon would be him using the staff or something. You'd need to buy the crystals from the shops of course.
Crystals would actually be a good idea. I'm just spitballing here, but if there were...say, crystals that were in some way in affiliation to one of the Goddesses that created the planet (Din, Naryu, and Farore). They don't necessarily have to be special crystals, but they vary in quality (and the quality represents their catching power.

And, for the sake of lore, their capturing capabilities are available to Link only because of the Triforce that he bares. That's one idea, at least.
  #18    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:11 PM
GoldfishHorde's Avatar
GoldfishHorde
Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outside of a Sewage Treatment Plant
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post

And, for the sake of lore, their capturing capabilities are available to Link only because of the Triforce that he bares. That's one idea, at least.
Then how would we have trainers if only Link could use their capturing capabilities? Perhaps Trainers are instead "mobs" of enemies? Or maybe no trainers at all. I'm just spitballing here.
  #19    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:26 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishHorde View Post
Then how would we have trainers if only Link could use their capturing capabilities? Perhaps Trainers are instead "mobs" of enemies? Or maybe no trainers at all. I'm just spitballing here.
That's actually exactly what I was getting at. The idea is that it's a capability only available to those with the Triforce, and as such, it isn't some widespread phenomenon. The trainers wouldn't need to be other people, they could just be groups of monsters, as you say.
  #20    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
That's actually exactly what I was getting at. The idea is that it's a capability only available to those with the Triforce, and as such, it isn't some widespread phenomenon. The trainers wouldn't need to be other people, they could just be groups of monsters, as you say.
Yeah, true, because Link never really fights against other humans anyways unless they're a boss/miniboss. I like that idea, but on the other hand, it may get a bit boring without some sort of human trainers... so maybe the triforce of courage can be used, but in some other way? Hmm. This one needs some thinking on. Because I'd like to have sprites for some of the other NPCs to show up in-game at some point, at least for the artistic appeal of the game.... gotta think on both sides of this.

Like, defeat Malon to obtain the useless monster, the Lon Lon Cow or something. haha. (Though maybe it knows rollout? :D :D)
  #21    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:40 PM
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 'Murca
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowth View Post
Yeah, true, because Link never really fights against other humans anyways unless they're a boss/miniboss. I like that idea, but on the other hand, it may get a bit boring without some sort of trainers... so maybe the triforce of courage can be used, but in some other way? Hmm. This one needs some thinking on. Because I'd like to have sprites for some of the other NPCs to show up in-game at some point, at least for the artistic appeal of the game.... gotta think on both sides of this
Well what I was thinking was that trainers could be just about any enemy, be they field mobs, important characters such as...say, the Twinrova sisters, and bosses. I mean, when it comes down to it, I think it only seems like it would be boring if you confine yourself to the idea of a trainer.

Look at it this way, what is in Pokemon a "Trainer" could be a party of any sort, be they a group of guards, a couple monsters, or even a few boss characters that fight together. They wouldn't really be enemies so much as they would be parties or adversaries, and how fun or interesting they are would really depend on the context in which they're fought, just like in other Turn-Based RPGs.

Plus, assuming the Triforce were to have an effect on the crystals, Ganon and Zelda would be able to use them as well.
  #22    
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Well what I was thinking was that trainers could be just about any enemy, be they field mobs, important characters such as...say, the Twinrova sisters, and bosses. I mean, when it comes down to it, I think it only seems like it would be boring if you confine yourself to the idea of a trainer.

Look at it this way, what is in Pokemon a "Trainer" could be a party of any sort, be they a group of guards, a couple monsters, or even a few boss characters that fight together. They wouldn't really be enemies so much as they would be parties or adversaries, and how fun or interesting they are would really depend on the context in which they're fought, just like in other Turn-Based RPGs.

Plus, assuming the Triforce were to have an effect on the crystals, Ganon and Zelda would be able to use them as well.
Great point. I think that's how we'll go about it. Gotta keep some sort of a Zelda feel haha. And on that note, I was thinking... maybe I shouldn't keep the overworlds in the FRLG style at all, maybe I should revamp the old GBC overworlds with more colors? It would definitely change the style, and with the right colors it could be eye popping and nostalgic.

Okay, so I finished Moosh's front sprite. Which do you guys thinks looks better as the shiny variant, the green or the gray?



Or white maybe?

  #23    
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM
GoldfishHorde's Avatar
GoldfishHorde
Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outside of a Sewage Treatment Plant
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
I would say white, because POLAR BEAR MOOSH FTW.

Also, shouldn't shiny sprites have every color within the palette different, besides for things like eyes? I've noticed that by looking at other shinies, and just wanted to point it out. Although, I'm not complaining with what we got right now.
  #24    
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Meowth's Avatar
Meowth
That's Right!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TEAM ROCKET WAREHOUSE
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishHorde View Post
I would say white, because POLAR BEAR MOOSH FTW.

Also, shouldn't shiny sprites have every color within the palette different, besides for things like eyes? I've noticed that by looking at other shinies, and just wanted to point it out. Although, I'm not complaining with what we got right now.
They usually do, yeah, but not always. Besides, we don't really have to go by those rules lol....

EDIT: Though there could be this?


And this is what I meant before:



The middle one is what I was talking about, a revamped GBC Link instead maybe? Also just a concept.

The other overworlds would all be revamped as well, and between Seasons, Ages and Links Awakening there are plenty of characters that could already be there for editing.

EDIT: I might just go with this at least temporarily, unless something else better comes along. Minish Cap sprites are too big

Last edited by Meowth; July 14th, 2014 at 07:15 PM.
  #25    
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:14 PM
DJTiKi's Avatar
DJTiKi
The Pokémon Idealist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Where The Sun Don't Shine
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to DJTiKi
I can DEFINETLY see these enemies being "pokefied" especially with bosses from Twilight Princess. Argorok for Dragon/Steel with Levitate. I don't know if you would want help in this regard, pretty sure you already have it planned.

Scervo > Dreadfuse.

Got a knack in Hacking? Then you should probably click that picture. I'm still waiting....sooooooo nice weather isn't it?.

Links For All The Things:
DJTiKi's Guide To Planning Your Awesome ROM Hack! Planning For Dummies
The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things!
A (Very) Short Dictionary To ROM Hacking Lingo!
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 05:13 AM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.