• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Graphics: Sugimori Palettes: The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
As many of you will know, Chaos Rush created a resource for properly resized DS sprites,
and before you assk this is not a blatant rip off of Chaos' thread. Instead this is an alternative
collection, based directly off of his work, using altered palettes taken directly from the
Sugimori artwork, as well as less saturated Shiny sprites to match the style of the GBA
battle backgrounds and trainers.

While I am not Chaos, I have contributed alot to his resource and with his permission am
offering an alternative to the original DS-Style resource.

There are a few different sprites to the ones present in the DS-style 64x64 thread, due
to my personal preferences in poses.

Another difference between these threads is the presence of second frames for Emerald.
The motivation for this, is that Emerald hacking is starting to become more popular, and
while it is possible to disable animations, Emerald was quite unique in having animations,
as such I'm doing my best to create second frames.

Due to second frames, some Pokémon's positions need to be changed, so I have decided to
have two slightly different sets for Fire Red and Emerald respectively!

Fire Red
Spoiler:

Emerald

Spoiler:

Icon Sprites
Spoiler:

Completed Sets:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Also, before anyone asks, you ARE allowed to use these for your hack, this is the entire
point of the resource!

Downloads:
Spoiler:

Finally, check out Chaos' thread if you haven't already, to understand more about this resource!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267728

as well as my other thread for DS-Style Gen VI Sprites
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314422

Last edited:

KeyRogue

No theme for now...
Years
Finally you made a thread of this, and i'm first to comment. :P

I can't wait to see the result of Gen. IV & V (VI will take long I belive), anyway good luck with the recolors! ^^

GOLDstandard

Eclectic
Years
If you wanted to make a brief tutorial about how you go about making the second frames for Emerald, I could try to help :) I would imagine that it's not just making new second frames from scratch

MrDollSteak

Years
If you wanted to make a brief tutorial about how you go about making the second frames for Emerald, I could try to help :) I would imagine that it's not just making new second frames from scratch

The main reason I didn't put any information on that, is that I plan to do them all myself, I never really thought about help in the sense that its often a combination of resizing, positioning and scratching slightly. Though here's the information you'll need.

For the 1st to 4th gen Pokemon that use sprites from DPPT or HGSS it's a matter of finding the respective second frames and resizing them to the same degree as the original. Ie. Nidorino is from HGSS and resized to 92%, therefore you need to get the second HGSS frame for Nidorino and resize it to 92%. The problem is that its not necessarily a matter of JUST resizing it, you have to constantly compare it to the first frame sprite, to see that everything matches up, in the same way that the unresized frames do.

The 5th gen Pokemon and other Pokemon that use BW sprites are made either entirely from scratch, from a few different frames in the original animation (such as Nidoking), or based upon existing Gen 3 or 4 second frames (such as Chaos' Venusaur).

The 6th gen Pokemon will be completely scratched and done once I've finished the original resource.

Once you think you've got an acceptable sprite, you'll need to recolor it to match the new Sugi palettes.

So as you can see it makes a lot of sense that I'd do them all myself. But feel free to attempt some.
I'd probably do ones that haven't been resized (things like Kabuto, Pichu, Oddish, etc.), not because a lack of ability, but just because you need to constantly check against the original sprite.

GOLDstandard

Eclectic
Years
So if someone is willing to try and help you with one of your spriting projects, would you prefer help on this or on the gen 6?

Also, there are some second frame sprites hidden towards the start of chaos' thread for some gen IV pokes in case you didn't see and wanted to use them

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Years
So if someone is willing to try and help you with one of your spriting projects, would you prefer help on this or on the gen 6?

Also, there are some second frame sprites hidden towards the start of chaos' thread for some gen IV pokes in case you didn't see and wanted to use them

They are already being used.
I don't mind. I'll receive help for both if its done correctly. It's just most people dont.

MrDollSteak

Years
View attachment 73619
I tried to do kangaskhan with a scale factor of 85% from the heartgold.
I hate the stupid baby, it took most of the time and still looks bad.
Base quality...maybe?

Sorry it's not base quality.
As I explained before it needs to be resized at the same ratio as the first frame, and requires constant checking against.

A quick paste over shows it doesn't work.

As I said, I would stick to ones that don't require resizing. This is the case for most small Pokemon, and quite a few others. Before you start any more second frames I'd check this.

If for some reason you really want to do one that's been resized ie. Kangaskhan, do a quick divide of the dimensions of the sprite against the original sprite to find the correct ratio. Which in Kangaskhan's case is about 90%. (This won't fit into 64x64, in which case you need to be creative with the claws).

In the mean time, I've uploaded a lot of second frames for some more Kanto Pokemon!

Pikachu
XedMrzk.png

Raichu
4F8L6pr.png

Sandshrew
llm93CP.png

Sandslash
mMkQIf5.png

Abra
7cYOvJd.png

Kadabra
iE7YYSm.png

Alakazam
Gtmkmwo.png

Magnemite
QCU1Stm.png

Magneton
GozkY45.png

Pinsir
zQQ85uG.png

Last edited:

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I do not know if you will refuse my help again, but I still try my luck. I once had worked on the second animation for the sprites and canceled it because it was too much for me.

However, I want to share my intermediate level with you. I have about 150 sprites I want to make available.

Have fun.

Spoiler:

MrDollSteak

Years
I do not know if you will refuse my help again, but I still try my luck. I once had worked on the second animation for the sprites and canceled it because it was too much for me.

However, I want to share my intermediate level with you. I have about 150 sprites I want to make available.

Have fun.

I'll definitely be using some of these! Thanks!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
This makes a great addition to the resized sprite resources out there, for people like me who have no spriting skills.

MrDollSteak

Years
This makes a great addition to the resized sprite resources out there, for people like me who have no spriting skills.

Thanks!

Here's the newest batch of secondary sprites. The post has also been updated to have all Gen 3 sprites for Fire Red up.

Caterpie
o9D5I1u.png

Metapod
tHw9cCW.png

Butterfree (credits to Chaos Rush)
VNCBYd1.png

Weedle
owV3J5X.png

Kakuna
2tdbAiZ.png

Beedrill
CNXJ3Ii.png

Vulpix
XGYLcbg.png

Ninetales
45ysxoJ.png

Psyduck
nQoW6gH.png

Golduck (I might resize both sprites by 95%)
PW2VSXF.png

Shellder
Mu0FGDR.png

Cloyster
rYCBcEl.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Wow!!! Finally that there is a resource of second frame sprite resource for Emerald hacks. I hope you can complete them until 721. Don't ever cancel doing it dude. I have been looking forward for that (can you make Gen III starters, Salamence, Metagross sprites for now? Haha... just kidding. I'll just wait for those then.).

MrDollSteak

Years
Wow!!! Finally that there is a resource of second frame sprite resource for Emerald hacks. I hope you can complete them until 721. Don't ever cancel doing it dude. I have been looking forward for that (can you make Gen III starters, Salamence, Metagross sprites for now? Haha... just kidding. I'll just wait for those then.).

Thanks! I'm probably going to finish Gen I first. Then I'll do Gens II, III and IV together. I've actually finished the Gen III starters already but I'm going to do some quality control on a few of them before I upload them.

Gen V and VI will take longer because all of the sprites will need to be custom basically.

Anyway here's the next batch.

Tentacool
DxFT1Qo.png

Tentacruel
6LDSvh5.png

Geodude
6EBD01B.png

Graveler
oldebKw.png

Golem
kleTdBa.png

Grimer
JCGwdtI.png

Muk
C9sBpb0.png

Koffing
NOi5c0A.png

Weezing
Dlypqma.png

Magikarp
a1ezi6j.png

Gyarados
Srus5zK.png

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Since this thread can contribute a custom Gen V second frame sprite, here's one (Gen V's Deino):
686_2_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7g9iah.png

Credits to Chaos Rush for the Deino base. Well, that's the only sensible second frame sprite for Gen V Pokemon I made so far... I'm not actually good in pixel art but I wanted to make one or more. Hope this helps. If it doesn't match sugimori palette, just edit it along. Gonna make more... if I can. :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
*This might count as a double post... just bear with it. I posted a new topic and a new next contributions.

Alright more Gen V second frame sprites:

Lillipup:
559_lillipup_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kdx.png

Herdier:
560_herdier_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kdv.png

Darumaka:
607_darumaka_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kds.png

Yamask (might be effortless, I just adjusted parts):
615_yamask_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kdo.png

Cofagrigus (I gave effort on it. My second favorite sensible second sprite I made):
616_cofagrigus_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kdi.png

Klink (just turned gears... kinda bit messy):
652_klink_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kdf.png

Klang (just turned gears... the big one didn't... kinda bit messy):
653_klang_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kd8.png

Klinklang (just turned gears... the big one didn't... a lot messy at the gear with a red dome):
654_klinklang_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kd5.png

Eelektrik (also gave effort... my third favorite... slight messy):
656_eelektrik_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kd2.png

Litwick (I just got an idea of turning flames... and a little adjustment):
660_litwick_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kd0.png

Lampent (I just got an idea of turning flames... and a little adjustment):
661_lampent_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857kcx.png

Chandelure (I just got an idea of turning flames... and a little adjustment):
662_chandelure_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d857keb.png

----

EDIT: More sprites for this day:

Salamence (I just found my unfinished Emerald hack in my Google Drive and ripped Salamence sprite and edited to fix some parts... Well, I remembered that this sprite is older than my Deino LOL I liked BW Salamence's sprite stance more than DPPtHGSS Salamence's sprite. So I made a custom second frame for it):
373_salamence_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by9.png

Snivy:
495_snivy_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by8.png

Vanillite:
582_vanillite_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by7.png

Vanillish:
583_vanillish_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by6.png

Vanilluxe:
584_vanilluxe_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by5.png

Emolga:
587_emolga_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by2.png

Shelmet:
616_shelmet_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d858by0.png

Alright! Just edit the colors to match Sugimori palette (I just leave the colors to you since I don't know guidelines). Same credits (as the first Deino). Gonna make more.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Years
*This might count as a double post... just bear with it. I posted a new topic and a new next contributions.

Alright more Gen V second frame sprites:

Alright! Just edit the colors to match Sugimori palette (I just leave the colors to you since I don't know guidelines). Same credits (as the first Deino). Gonna make more.

These are all fantastic (as is Deino).
Definitely accepting them! Salamence and Cofagrigus are amazing.

New batch of Kanto sprites:

Gastly
01XBeTs.png

Haunter
bdl5UpA.png

Gengar
zNHUQRV.png

Voltorb
26RBCFQ.png

Electrode
os4KXbA.png

Rhyhorn
UokS5TI.png

Rhydon
06Ksi3i.png

Horsea
nlLQwZy.png

Seadra
udKCtTK.png

Goldeen
QDoWsis.png

Seaking
dpdTsMe.png

Staryu
WMbjjMA.png

Starmie
nIwC7JD.png

Also one thing to note.

Because Emerald has a lot of animations that have scaling, the sprites may not always work with the animation.
A good example is Gengar. It has a magnification affect, and because these sprites have different dimensions
some of the lines can look very pixelated.

What I plan on doing is, once the first 386 Pokemon are finished that is,
tweaking the animations to work better with these sprites and creating a
patch that will be present in the same Zip as the completed sprites.

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Very Nice work. ;) But I have a one Please. Can you make the animations codes puplic, but i want use the animationscode in a german emerald.^^

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Very Nice work. ;) But I have a one Please. Can you make the animations codes puplic, but i want use the animationscode in a german emerald.^^

Animations code? Hmm... check this out. I hope this helps you:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324207

----

Alright! More Gen V second frame sprites... sorry for the slow and few work because I have school with classes for the entire week (I have weekend classes). I still make sprites but nice and slow (and few LOL). I have found out that the rest of my upcoming edits are needed to be scratched (I've seen few animated sprites without having their stances changed such as Reshiram and Zekrom) so that would be a heavy work. I'm on Zweilous and Hydreigon now. Anyway, without a further ado...

Spoiler:

Back