• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who's that Pokémon? (Week 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Who's That Pokémon? (Week 7)

It's time to put your Pokémon knowledge to the test with our weekly contest of "Who's That Pokémon?"! Once a week every Sunday I'll post a zoomed-in section of a Pokémon and it's your job to tell me which Pokémon the art belongs to. All of the art used will be from the Pokémon's official Dream World art and will be a 30x30 px section of the art cropped and zoomed in 8x. Once you think you have an answer, send it to me in a PM and you could be our next prize winner!

Overview

• Guess the Pokémon whose art is being featured!
    • The clue is a 30x30 px section of the Pokémon's Dream World art cropped and magnified 8x.
    • Send Squirrel a PM with your answer once you've figured it out - answer as many times as you want per week but only your final answer counts!
    • Do not post answers in this thread - you don't want other people to use your answers do you?
    • Feel free to chat about the puzzles and how easy/hard you find them, that's the fun of this game afterall!
    • Submit your answers before midnight (GMT) on Saturday after the picture is posted if you want them to count!
    Rewards!

A winner is a winner and a winner is you - assuming you won! Here's what you can expect to win from correctly guessing each week's Pokémon. (Hover over for descriptions!)

KyqhOAr.png
    Lr1vkr8.png
    lL8F9ql.png

Clue - Week 7

r3bXEdj.png

Good luck, and feel free to also discuss last week's answer and winners in this thread! :D

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'm think I got this, I actually did a fist pump when I saw the picture and recognized the pattern xD'

Last edited:

dest

Boneash
    Years
  • hu, this weeks answer really reminds me of a little part of an old comedy series I used to watch in the late 90s ^^

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Just as a general question, how do you guys go about finding the answers? Do you ever think the pictures might look like a certain Pokémon and try that, or do you just browse the art list until you see something that looks like it? Knowing things like this will help me find more interesting clues :)

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I typically try to go by colour scheme, as well as if I see any standout features. But the clipped art is so zoomed in, it's usually small/minimal details. :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Another question to answer on top of the last one - I'm planning some 'special edition' rounds of WTP soon like megas, shinies, etc, but I'm wondering how you guys would feel about non-art based rounds? eg identifying a Pokémon's cry, footprints, riddles about them, lore-based trivia, etc - what do you guys reckon about these kind of rounds? Would you want to see them mixed on regularly with the current games, or would you prefer they came up every so often (if at all) like once per 5 or 10 rounds?

dest

Boneash
    Years
  • Finding the answers:
    If I think I recognize the pokemon right away I browse directly to the picture to compare, if that doesn't fit follow these steps:
    1. a) Quickly browse through all the pictures and see if the main colour of the given frame fits with any of the main colour of those (usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes if you fail to find anything until the end). Switch to the pic in the thread every 1/3rd of a page to get another look at it.
    1. b) If yes, see if you find the pattern. (when in doubt open the picture to get the original size)
    2. a) If 1. has no success take a bit more time. Look at each picture and try to see even smaller - tiny patches of the colour in the given frame. Also, have the picture open in another window to compare.
    2. b) repeat 1. b)
    3. (only on week 2 so far) Don't exclude anything that has even a tiny slight shade of the colours given without directly comparing with the other window. == if the picture has some blue in it compare anything that has the slightest amount of blue on the pokemon (even if the shade of blue doesn't fit on first sight) and drag the extra window to that spot to compare

Special rounds:
    well ... if you make a mega round you shouldn't announce that it is a mega round until the solution is actually posted, else it'll be far too easy since 95% of everything can already be excluded ... and most propably guess the right pokemon on the first sight of the posted frame ... if anything I'd suggest throwing megas just in the regular game pool :)
    shinies ... well, why not. What would make that very interesting is giving the shiny frame and just a list of regulars to compare thus we'd have to rely on the patterns alone and not the colours ^^
    a cry ... well, don't ask me, I can't hear properly atm due to an accident I had last September and that wont be repaired until somewhen end July / August I presume :/
    to be honest, I don't see footprints being something ... depending on the setup they should be far too easy or almost impossible to get (== guess 1 out of 356463+-2 possibilities ^^) ... if you can find a midway setup, do it, at least I can't imagine anything atm :D
    and I'm terrible at riddles or lore, if you want to see me fail, do it ^^

if you intend to do specials, do them irregularly, that way the surprise factor is a bit better

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Just as a general question, how do you guys go about finding the answers? Do you ever think the pictures might look like a certain Pokémon and try that, or do you just browse the art list until you see something that looks like it? Knowing things like this will help me find more interesting clues :)

I look at the picture and often a few Pokémon come in my mind, I check those first, but they're mostly all wrong. If the color looks like it could be the main body color I sometimes check the lists of Pokémon by color for quick ideas for Pokémon to look for next. Otherwise I'm just scrolling through the list scanning for colors that fit the pattern, enlarging pictures if they could be the solution. I often use Paint to enlarge the picture eight times and check whether the pattern fits.

Another question to answer on top of the last one - I'm planning some 'special edition' rounds of WTP soon like megas, shinies, etc, but I'm wondering how you guys would feel about non-art based rounds? eg identifying a Pokémon's cry, footprints, riddles about them, lore-based trivia, etc - what do you guys reckon about these kind of rounds? Would you want to see them mixed on regularly with the current games, or would you prefer they came up every so often (if at all) like once per 5 or 10 rounds?

I don't see why you don't throw Megas just in the normal rounds, there aren't enough of them to make a normal round challenging enough. Shinies could work, that'd be a real challenge. But how do you realize this? There are no shiny dreamworld arts, are there? You could recolor them, but DW art uses different palettes as the game sprites. Footprints won't work, because:
    Pidgey's footprint:
    F016.png

Spearow's footprint:
    F021.png

Cry is something you simply recognize or don't. If you do, you immediately have the answer, otherwise you have to check like every one of them. Personally I haven't played every generation yet, meaning I've hardly heard any cry of a Gen V or VI Pokémon. Knowing them all doesn't include knowing cries.
    Riddles and lore could work fine, as long as it's not easy to lazily Google the answer. But this does change the whole setting of WTP, so I'm not sure if adding it would be the best idea.

I'll be thinking about this. I'll get back to you if found something interesting.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    That's a really good point @ megas, I think as from next week they'll be included in the standard pool of Pokémon and I'll include an announcement about it in the next edition's OP so people aren't confused. I use a random Pokémon generator to select a Pokémon each week and megas are included in the generator (until now I've just re-rolled them) so I'll start throwing them into the mix too.

In the same vein as including megas - what do you guys think about including Pokémon like Deerling/Shellos with several different base forms, or Pokémon like Thundurus/Castform with additional forms?

As for the 'special' rounds I think you guys are right about my suggestions, none of them would work overly well, I'm just worried that using art each week could get boring haha. Maybe I'll start mixing it up with sprites and different generation editions etc so you have to look through things other than the same DW list each time...

As for the shiny contest I was intending to use the vector Gen 6 sprites for that :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!

dest

Boneash
    Years
  • In the same vein as including megas - what do you guys think about including Pokémon like Deerling/Shellos with several different base forms, or Pokémon like Thundurus/Castform with additional forms?
    I look over them even now, adding those to the list would just make something necassary that I unnecassarily do anyway all the time, so ... do it :D

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • identifying a Pokémon's cry

Wait, but some Pokémon have almost exactly the same cry, such as Rhyhorn/Charizard and Caterpie/Goldeen. It would take more than your average hearing to distinguish between such cries honestly.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Wait, but some Pokémon have almost exactly the same cry, such as Rhyhorn/Charizard and Caterpie/Goldeen. It would take more than your average hearing to distinguish between such cries honestly.
    Yes, you would have to use e.g. Audacity to notice the difference between such cries.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Basically I'll stick with various forms of art (sprites, dream world, etc) but won't venture outside of those based on what you guys have said, so look out for some of these rounds coming up in the near future! As for this contest...

~Only 8 hours left to submit entries - send in your final answers soon!~

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Hi guys, it's time for another answer! This week's contest is now over and it's time to reveal our winners...

217.png

Ursaring!

Specifically the cute mark on his paw! Congrats to those of you that got it right, now let's take a look at some of the other answers we saw...

This week's winners: Francois, dest, Pidgey, WriterRaven, Lycanthropy, jdthebud, Mewtwolover, NoOneAtAll, Revise Librarian, Sheerow, Ullion, Kiyoshi the Polar Bear
    Other answers received: Swinub, Vulpix, Hitmontop, Kangaskhan, Teddiursa, Piloswine, Hitmonlee, Numel

Please let me know if you're supposed to be on this list and I didn't include you (or if you haven't received your emblem within 3 days) and I'll check your answer PM and make sure to sort it! Also sorry for any old usernames, still getting used to the new ones ^_^

Another tough week but you guys are doing great - around half of the submitted answers were correct again this week so I think this is a good level of difficulty to stay at. I decided to bold the names of everyone who has guessed every week correctly so far, so congrats to you guys and let's see if you can keep it up! Stay tuned for next week's puzzle coming up later today and as always feel free to discuss your answers and the winners in this thread until then!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back