• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] FR Intro rival walking OW

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
  • Does anyone know how to change the walking rival OW shown in the intro to FR when giving your rival a custom name? See the attached screenshot. There are 3 frames for the walking animation.

I've replaced the rival sprite (all frames) in NSE Classic (index 72) but I'm still seeing the original FR rival sprite.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • I apologize for bumping my own thread, but has anyone else seen this problem? Perhaps I'm doing something else wrong to cause it in the first place? I've tested multiple times on clean ROMs but I've always had this issue.

Again, I've successfully replaced all frames of the rival OW sprite in NSE Classic , and verified that the new sprites show up correctly in the game, but the old sprite is still showing up in the intro. Is the one in the intro stored in a different place?

FYI, I've also replaced the player OW, and that one shows up correctly in the intro.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    There are actually two copies of the rival's sprite graphics stored in the ROM. I never understood why but.....this could probably be the reason. I believe the second copy was somewhere around where the Aerodactyl skeleton's graphics are located, if you load it up in a tile editor. My memory's a little fuzzy!

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • Should probably add that I got the answer from Lost Heart in the Quick Questions thread:

The problem comes from the fact that the game uses a separate sprite for the OW there. You can edit it quite easily with NSE 2.X.
    Here's the relevant information:
    Code:
    Image Offset: 0x3E1980
    Palette Offset: 0xE98004

Width: 2
    Height: 36
    (those are for the width and height in NSE)

Back