• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Netbooks

Years
  • Some of y'all may have seen me discussing in the DCC last week about a netbook I acquired last week. So I want to know, how many of you guys have netbooks or have at least used a netbooks? What do you think about them? Any likes or dislikes you have towards netbooks?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Why would you get a netbook...?

I don't think there's really a place for them. They had a chance, but tablets kind of stole their thunder and now they seem pretty pointless. They were only ever useful for travelling and a tablet + keyboard attachment does that just just as well (if not better) nowadays. Plus, we have a lot of full-sized but very lightweight options that fill the gap between tablet and desk-based laptop. Macbook Air, Chromebook, etc. are all much more appealing to me than a netbook. A netbook is meant to be used as a temporary computer when you are away from your main computer and I think even phones do a good enough job of that now. They're expensive for little comparative benefit.

I have an MSI Wind U100 that I picked up many years ago, intending to get a netbook for travel/school and then a decent desktop for when I was at home. Circumstances meant I had to use the netbook as my only computer for roughly a year and those were dark, dark times. The little thing did everything I asked of it (even Photoshop on my 1024x600 screen... god I was desperate!) but I don't think I could ever go back to it. I had a better time of it than most people, too, since I made sure to get a netbook that still had a full keyboard (just smaller sized) and I have the tiny hands to boot. But I can't imagine using that anymore.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I find netbooks to be a lot more logical than tablets, given the fact that they're not tied down to some mobile operating system or stripped of the proper I/O that comes with a PC. For that reason they get to be in my book of electronics under the category of "full-fledged computers," unlike tablets, phablets, smartphones, smartwatches, et cetera.

I owned two separate netbooks that carried me through some tough times over the past year, actually. Though, the majority of that time was spent with one netbook – a Toshiba – that was my favourite little thing despite having a broken hinge and a tiny keyboard. I typed so fast on that thing, too. Even maxed out the RAM capacity and put an Intel Cherryville SSD inside it so it could run Windows 7 okay!

Eventually, I got a full-fledged laptop that had a big edge on that netbook. My Sony VAIO, this thing here, wasn't limited to the i686 (32-bit) instruction set, it came with 6GiB of RAM and could be upped to 8 (instead of shipping with 1GiB and going up to 2), it had a 16:9 768p screen over the netbook's tiny 1024x600 resolution, had Intel's VT-x technology that enables 64-bit virtualization, and also came with 4 native USB ports and a Blu-ray drive. So, I dropped the netbook in favour.

During some of that time in between Iunet (the netbook) and Waset (the VAIO), I had another second netbook my cousin loaned to me that I dubbed "Iunet II." It was very similar to Iunet I, except it was an Acer instead of a Toshiba, and eventually... I slapped XP on it and gave it back so my cousin could loan it to her sister out-of-state. It was fun while it lasted I guess – I just toyed around with different Linux and Windows installs on it to see what it could handle.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'd totally love to have a netbook to play around - think of it as a way to see how exactly cheap computing is like. The kind where everything is as cheap as possible.

Personally I'd love to get my hands on a "don't call it a netbook" ultra-low-cost laptops today, such as the HP Stream 11. They seem to be decent performers for what they are, but...

To be honest, I'd rather get a Windows tablet at that point. It mostly has to do with the display. :)

Years
  • Honestly, netbooks could probably have more power to them than they already do. My Dell Venue 8 Pro runs better than a netbook in terms of processing speed, yet the netbook I acquired recently is slow even with basic web browsing.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Netbooks were relevant, then people realised that tablets had the same (or better) guts in a smaller form fact with a touchscreen like the iPhone. Then, people realised you can't do shit without a physical keyboard, and now it seems netbooks are making a semi-comeback. Now that the chips inside smaller budget laptops are capable of doing more than Word and maybe a couple tabs, I think that tablets with become more of a niche market while smaller, cheaper laptops become mainstream.

As for my experiences with netbooks, I've used two. One is a eee pc 701, which couldn't run shit with it's old Celeron processor and 4gb ssd, but is ok with a light Linux distro. I also have a Packard Bell dot s which was pretty nice, had a spinning hard drive as well as a much better atom processer. The 1GB RAM was a huge bottleneck and the windows 7 starter it came with ran like hot garbage.

Back