• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Does it Take Two? The Sequels and Why We Have Them

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    This article will detail Gold, Silver, and Crystal Versions, and Black Version 2 and White Version 2. It will compare and contrast the two sets of games as being "indirect" and "direct" sequels, respectively. In doing so, it will detail the different approaches they take to their characters and narrative in relation to their prequels. The article will also detail reasons as to why gen 1 and gen 5 received sequels, whereas other games, such as X and Y, did not. This will put a focus on the gen 1 games being the most "devoid" of story (in regards to the Pokémon series), compared to gen 5, games which are generally considered to have the best story in the series, and how they "prepared themselves" for their sequels. There will also be discussion of whether or not sequels are inherently better than the retellings provided by "third versions," and go over how sequels should be done on a case-by-case basis, rather than be an obligatory replacement for the enhanced version.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    This looks really interesting to me, and looks like a good article to read through. I know that there have been some fans that wondered why some main series games received sequels but others haven't.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • You may want to look at the "improved" versions (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) as well. Looks like something I would read!

Years
  • You may want to look at the "improved" versions (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) as well. Looks like something I would read!

That's not really a sequel so I wouldn't recommend doing that this time round. As a seperate article it would be cool though.

Aside from that, I think this sounds excellent. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    This looks really interesting to me, and looks like a good article to read through. I know that there have been some fans that wondered why some main series games received sequels but others haven't.
    Thank you! I do think there are some key elements that determine if a game will garner sequels; I think it will be fun discussing them!

You may want to look at the "improved" versions (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) as well. Looks like something I would read!
    That's not really a sequel so I wouldn't recommend doing that this time round. As a seperate article it would be cool though.

Aside from that, I think this sounds excellent. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.
    I'll likely compare sequels against enhanced editions in the sense of "should sequels replace them altogether?" But discussing third versions against their originals I'll save for a supposed future article.

Thanks for all your support!

Back