• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scared yet?

Years
Piggybacking off the "blood in video games" thread, how are you with the thriller aspects of games (jump scares etc)?

Personally, I can deal with something knowing it's there, or things like Resi Evil where I'm in an area and can see the enemies are there. However, atmosphere and jump scares absolutely make me fucking NOPE out of games. I remember vividly initially playing Dead Space 2 and when I got to the Ishimura...............................................................

It took me several days to be able to actually advance the game.

Until Dawn, when you first explore the house as Chris and find the wolverine, with the house then being empty and dark? NO THANK YOU.

Meeting the first Regenerator in Resi 4, or in fact any, where you're in tight spaces and can just hear a low rasping that's always close enough to shit your pants but not enough to just deal with it? GET OUTTA HERE.

Last edited:
Years
Generally speaking, I don't scare easily so I manage alright. That being said, while the impact doesn't last long, I'm definitely vulnerable to the initial shock of a good jump scare.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I think everyone gets hit with a jump scare now and again, but that doesn't equate to fear. Dead Space did fear right, imo (the return to the Ishimura was HAUNTING). Same with the more classic horror games like Resident Evil, Amnesia, and Silent Hill.

As for my opinion on it, I love horror games! Alien: Isolation was a freaking masterpiece, and SOMA ranks among one of my favorite games to date.

Last edited:
Years
I can't stand Resident Evil games, so that applies to this thread, as well.

and Five Nights at Freddy's. Nope. No sir and/or ma'am. Definitely wouldn't touch those at night.

Last edited:
Years
i'm actually the biggest baby in the history of the world when it comes to this kind of stuff. i've never played a scary game. i've watched my boyfriend play resident evil, but...yeah. i just don't do well with jumpscares and whatnot in games lmao.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I don't scare easily and it's gotten more and more difficult over the years because I tend to indulge in a lot of horror -- stories, movies, games, writing my own, drawing my own, creepy pictures, real-life stories about actual horrors. So I've played my share of horror games as well.

I was obsessed with Re7 for a long while to the point where nothing was ever scary to me because I knew the game so well. Plus Lucas Baker ♥♥ My waifu, even though he's a dude xD He's the biggest reason that I played that game so much.

I was desensitized to the Fnaf games from playing the first two and watching Markiplier and John Wolfe. I can't play vr games but I'll admit I got jumpscared a few times from Mark's playthrough of the new one. Oddly enough, I did wind up having an episode of sleep paralysis where I saw Bonnie's exoskeleton, so there was that. I was less scared and more surprised to see him, but still a bit scared, haha xD

I've also enjoyed the Fatal Frame series, Silent Hill (PT included, rip ; -;), Dead Space (the first one ♥), Fran Bow, Outlast, among a few other scattered indie games.

Also, Mr. Resetti scared the crap out of me the first time I saw him as a kid. Dunno if that counts. xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
im a little bitch when it comes to horror games

and apparently i love being a little bitch because i LOVE horror games so so so much

Years
im a little bitch when it comes to horror games

and apparently i love being a little bitch because i LOVE horror games so so so much

THIS IS ME 100%! I still play these games knowing full well I'm changing clothes mid-way through the playthrough, because I am literally scared shitless.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i'm so dumb i just realized lol i freaking love FNAF...........i can't play it myself bc i just. i can't do those games, but i love watching people play it. i suppose i was more into it for the story and theories than gameplay, ofc.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I hate jump scares, maybe a couple are necessary and effective in horror games, but if it heavily relies on jump scares to be scary then I find it more annoying than anything. It's startling, sure, and I'll probably jump, but it's a cheap scare and I don't really appreciate that. Horror games that creep you out and unsettle you with the atmosphere, lore and story are way more captivating and more likely to keep me up at night even if I'm just watching (I'm also a wuss and I don't play horror games but I love watching LPs).

Bay

Years
Like a few others, I watch LPs of horror games than playing them and sometimes I get startled by jump scares. Funny enough, I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter a few years ago and while the blood and violence I didn't flinch much, the jump scare during the mine underground segment I'm like NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Years
Interestingly enough, I will refuse to play DMC1 these days because I find the marionettes far scarier than the enemies in 2,3 and even 4. x.x Mostly because they mostly jumpscare you and I hate that.

Years
I grew a little bit of disappointed in horror and scary games (and films on that matter) lately. It seems like developers decided to replaced scary atmosphere with cheap jumpscares.

I remember turning off F.E.A.R after the first cutscene when I was a kid and not playing it for years because I was too scared to play it and that game still gives me goosebumps to this day. I also have fond memories of playing Alien Trilogy on Playstation 1 even though I never made it through the first few levels.

For the more modern games I think last game that gave me eerie feelings were first Amnesia and Resident Evil 7 & 2. Outlast was also nice, but not on the same level as Amnesia. But that's pretty much it.

I tried FNAF and it was so boring game to play with nothing but predictable jumpscares to offer. I was looking forward playing Layers of Fear and Bendy and the Ink Machine, but none of them lived up to the expectation I had after hearing all the praising they got.

As for non-horror game that scared me, I remember getting scared by playing Gothic games. Exploring the catacombs under lighthouse in first and running into skeletons for the first time, getting Eye Of Innos (especially because I always play that quest at night) and randomly getting hit in the back by a dinosaur while being completely immersed in the third game.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
I for one hate jump scares, because it's forced fear. It's a sudden knee-jerk reaction to something suddenly happening.
But it doesn't get to me like an indie game called: Close Your Eyes. I wasn't even playing the game and i was freaked out. The atmosphere, The monsters, and the tension really got to me. But even then, when it was over it didn't have any lasting effects on me.
Unlike TLOZ's stealth sections. But those freak me out, and have scarred me on a deep psychological level, so much that I can't even get past them and enjoy the rest of OOT or MM, which I want to do because these games are classics. But I just can't get over that fear and get to the good parts of OOT and MM.

Back