• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can Golem Get Taken Out By Thunderbolt?

Years
  • I have been wondering about this for a long time now.

For the last nine years I have been wondering why......

In the opening of ''Pokemon The First Movie'' Ash battles a Trainer with Donphan and a few other pokemon. (Machamp, Venamoth and Golem)

After Ash defeats that Donphan & Machamp, the trainer through's out his other three pokemon, one being Golem.

Pikachu then uses Thunderbolt and destroys all three pokemon.....Even GOLEM?

I also noticed that when The team seen the passenger Dragonite they werent excited at all that a rare pokemon was standing right before them.

Years
  • Crosman said:
    I have been wondering about this for a long time now.

In the opening of ''Pokemon The First Movie'' Ash battles a Trainer with Donphan and a few other pokemon. (Machamp, Venamoth and Golem)

After Ash defeats that Donphan & Machamp, the trainer through's out his other three pokemon, one being Golem.

Yes, it's a little wierd, but do notice that Golem was in the air when Pikachu struck all three Pok?mon. If you really want to know how Golem was affected, refer to the episode where Ash captures his Treecko. (five seasons later!) Brock mentions that all Pok?mon who are resistant to Electric-type attacks are only so because they can ground the attack. When they aren't on the ground, the attack should do damage.

Considering that Golem normally don't have high Special Defence, it's no suprise Pikachu knocked it out in one shot.

Crosman said:
    I also noticed that when The team seen the passenger Dragonite they werent excited at all that a rare pokemon was standing right before them.
    Well, before the movie even took place, back at Bill's lighthouse, the gang did see a Dragonite... 20 times larger than a normal one!

Still, the gang should be a little suprised, considering that Dragonite are somewhat rare Pok?mon...

Rayquaza 55

Dragon Master
    Years
  • Yes, it's a little wierd, but do notice that Golem was in the air when Pikachu struck all three Pok?mon. If you really want to know how Golem was affected, refer to the episode where Ash captures his Treecko. (five seasons later!) Brock mentions that all Pok?mon who are resistant to Electric-type attacks are only so because they can ground the attack. When they aren't on the ground, the attack should do damage.

Considering that Golem normally don't have high Special Defence, it's no suprise Pikachu knocked it out in one shot.

Well I would think that thunderbolt would do nothing but when you put it that way it makes sense.

Years
  • Yeah, I still dont think it should have knocked golem out.

I have that episode ''Mystery at the lighthouse'' To bad Dragonite isn't really that big.

I also have the episode were the group goes to Hollywood in Kanto.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • dqle said:
    Yes, it's a little wierd, but do notice that Golem was in the air when Pikachu struck all three Pok?mon.
    Actually it wasn't. It running just like Pincer towards Ash and Pikachu. Pikachu was the one jumping in the air and fried them.

It was probably because Pikachu was stronger. A small analogy: water can extinguish fire, though I highly doubt that someone could put out an entire forest fire with just a bottle of water...

If I remembered it correctly, an explanation was given for the one-hit-KO. It was in the part where the dubbed version goes like:
    Ash: We did it!
    Misty: Well, that sure was a shocking ending.
    Brock: Shocking that Ash moved so fast.

Where as the original version goes like:
    Ash: We did it!
    Misty: It was just because your opponent was weak.
    Brock: He didn't even raise them well.

Hitokiri

Banned
    Years
  • Crosman said:
    I have been wondering about this for a long time now.

Nine years is a long time to be thinking about something like that XD

That doesn't really make sense though. You'd think that any ground pokemon wouldn't take any damage on the show. Come to think of it, you'd think that a Steelix in real life would be invincible O_o;;

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2007
    The cartoon series is full or BS inconsistencies. Don't worry about it.

(((Watch your language

The Weez.)))

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitokiri

Banned
    Years
  • Whoa dude, you don't need to swear o_o;;

But I sort of agree, the cartoon is a typical childrens anime. And with all children's anime's, they have a tendancy to have outlandish things in them. Like a pidgeot beating a rhydon XD.

Years
  • Do we really need to see Ash lose even before the movie starts???

Sure the anime is heavily influenced by the games, but not completely! If that were the case, the show would be pretty boring. They have to add stuff to keep the audience interested and not just some replay of a game that most kids already know the storyline to.

A constant theme that always appears is that impossible things happen. As in Pikachu's case, it easily knocked out Golem and the rest of that guy's Pok?mon. A normal Pikachu probably couldn't handle three at once, but this goes to show why Jessie, James, and Meowth keep trying to capture that little yellow mouse: Ash's Pikachu isn't just any ol' Pikachu.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • The show can make impossible things happen. Just look at the last two gym battles. Those things are impossible.

Still I like the theory that Dqle brought up. The thing is what about Gligar? He is flying and groung but he never touch the ground if he is gliding. What happens if he shot with a Tunderbolt in the air?

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • Erm... yeah. It's pretty much the same answer from me. The anime just starts out the movie with some incredible battle for Ash to show off while the credits roll. Eh, I think the anime's made it clear that sometimes type disadvantages can be ignoed for Ash's sake.

And I hear ya' about the last two gym battles Reyna. It still amazes me that Swellow can swim (XD), let alone fly through the water, get all of his feathers completely soaked, and then still be able to fly in the air. I... don't... think so. X_X Unless Swellow is part duck/another bird with a large oil gland.

Years
  • Not everything.

Will Ash be a Pok?mon Master at this rate? I don't think so!!!

Reyna_fire said:
    Still I like the theory that Dqle brought up. The thing is what about Gligar? He is flying and groung but he never touch the ground if he is gliding. What happens if he shot with a Tunderbolt in the air?
    I can't recall Pikachu ever shocking a Gligar, so I can't give you a difinitive answer. Do notice its tail, however. Looks like that thing could be jabbed into the ground fairly quickly, since it is a flying scorpian. Can't say if the Pok?mon is in the air...

Oh and to add on to the grounding theory: Pikachu may have either knocked Golem off its feet or decimated the ground underneath it. Either way, the Golem would have lost its grounding capabilities the instant it isn't touching it.

And if that doesn't satisfy your question, do consider that lightning bolts can heat the air around it to 50,000 degrees Farenheit (or 27,760 degrees Celcius) in a split second. To compare it, think the surface of the sun, only 5 times hotter. Also consider how long Pikachu can maintain a Thundershock, Thunderbolt, or Thunder attack.

That's pretty hot...

Guest123_x1

I've been asking myself this question since I first saw the suspcicious scene. BTW, nine years? The movie was originally released in Japan back in 1998, which would be nearly 8 years ago. Nine years would be 1996-1997.

-ottermi619-
    The situation is probably as absurb as birds getting zapped to 'FNT' status while in mid air, yet they can safely sit on 345Kv transmission lines without getting themselves blown up.

Years
  • Who said that cartoons had to make sense?

I guess that electric-type attacks work differently than just electricity by itself.

That could explain why nobody dares to drink water from a water-type attack...

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
    Years
  • Guys, there's a simple explanation for the complete impossibility of an electric attack doing ANY damage to a ground type, let alone OHKOing it, as well as every other thing ash does that violates the rules of the games.
    ASH USED GAMESHARK.
    End of story.

Roy-Kun

t i t l e g o e s h e r e
    Years
  • Now that was the stupidest reply that i had seen...

Well i think that law of "Anything in the anime is possible" is only for Pok?mon, not humans, well maybe, do you remember how Ash was hitting that diamond thing to free Larvitar and he managed to break it? Heh.

Syaoran-Kun

Wave Master
    Years
  • The anime is trying to be more realistic in the battles-department. In the games, the Pokemon that are Ground/Rock Type aren't effected by electrical attacks.

In the anime, the Pokemon with the most experience ( no, not Experience Points) and skills win. In this case, Pikachu was much stronger than Golem, so it could've taken it down with a Thunderbolt.

And about the "Team Rocket not suprised about a Dragonite standing right in front of them" thing, remember, these are the guys that ACTUALLY needed a REASON for catching Datsura's Freezer. @_@

Last edited:
    Back