• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When writing...

sceptile2G

Vote for Pidgey!
Years
Where do you have to be when writing your fics?
What about sound in the background?
Do you write on the computer or on paper?

Usually I prefer writing in my room, maybe looking outside, especially in the spring. I like to have music on too, country or classical. I write on a nice notebook I have with a four colored pen.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I write whenever, wherever. I have a blue notebook that contains my current fanfic, a purple folder that has my novel, and a three subject that has all my peoms. I have pencils EVERYWHERE! (Seriously, I found one in my underwear drawer this morning...) The backround never matters because I tend to space out when I'm writing. *giggles* Yay for selective hearing!

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
I write fanfics on the computer, but regular stuff on paper, for some strange reason. @_@ Music's good, but not required. Preferred though. Just my regular playlist - punk, rock and emo.

Songwriting is pretty much -always- on paper. There are notebooks and pencils all over my room... and musical instruments, too. @_@

emoBill™

† мазохист †
Years
Often I write the stories I'm not so sure about or that I think up in my spare time on paper... because often I don't put them on the computer. I write the stuff I'm sure I'll put on Fanfiction.net or here on the computer, no sense to be rewriting it for the computer ^^;

I never really pay attention to anything in the background. Usually, it's nighttime at 10:00 and I am just writing in my bed.

sceptile2G

Vote for Pidgey!
Years
I write on paper so that when I retype it I edit and revise it. Editing and revising is my weak point, so it helps alot.

Muse

'The Underdog Trainer'
Years
Generally, when I'm writing, I'm downstairs in my very chaotic room with my very chaotic desk. All very messy and I like it! >=D

In the background I'll usually have music going, preferably that fits with the mood of my story. I'm usually spacing out when I listen to music, though. ^^; I like to keep it on because if I do accidentally not space out, it'll feel way too quiet and it drives me nuts.

Lastly, I almost ALWAYS write straight on the computer. I've noticed that anything I write on paper first is a little...ewww...I get lazy when writing on paper and I just can't write as fast as I think, so my writing is confusing and...yeah...On the computer, however, I can almost type as fast as I think, so my ideas don't turn into random jumbles and it all sounds about ten million times better.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
I type all my stories...my penmanship is simply too messy. Besides, the work always gets exceptionally tedious.

I can never successfully write with music on. o.o Music, to me, has this message that must be followed/written at all costs. Every single tiny note of it must incorporate a word, thus resulting me in typing away furiously, trying to keep pace. xD Never works~

Poetry/Lyrics I do well on paper (or the corners of my notes in some random binder).

Quackerdrill

quiet, huh?
Years
I usually start writing on paper, in whatever notebook I have at the time, but it usually doesn't get me very far. The times I use paper are usually the times where that's the only thing available, so I often end up re-typing it all up and finishing the job on Word. Where? Most of the time I write in my room, because I have this awesome window right above my desk where I'll put my laptop and just look out at the sunset. I do listen to some music or the most recent video game related podcast I downloaded... XD But sometimes it gets distracting and my writing runs itself into a wall. Yeeft.

And sceptile2G, you are awesome- country or classical? I thought I was the only one! ^_^ I was worried that the world had lost all tate with all its depresso-thon music...[/tangent] XD

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
And sceptile2G, you are awesome- country or classical? I thought I was the only one! ^_^ I was worried that the world had lost all tate with all its depresso-thon music...[/tangent] XD
Actually I'll gladly listen to the closest thing to country or classical while I'm writing but usually I like it quiet
I always write in my bed, with my laptop (which is what I'm doing right now). I hate writing with a pencil because it makes me hand tired, I cant erase mistakes nearly as easy, it's so slow and I hate my handwriting. I'm a super fast typer and almost nevr (I mean never) make mistakes.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
I type everything straight to the computer if at all possible. I take long enough to write something as is, and the fact that I write ridiculously slower by hand makes writing to paper (and then having to retype later) extremely efficient. The computer being right outside my room at the top of the stairs, that's where I do all my writing.

I may or may not listen to music; usually, it has little relevance to what I'm typing, since when I get going I don't notice anything in the background. It doesn't really matter what I listen to, so I just pop in whatever I feel like or whatever's already in the computer.

Digiko

The l33t lurker!!!
Years
I usually write in study hall at school. Unless my homework isn't done. But usually I can't finish my fanfics, so no one gets to see them. I'd love to actually finish a fanfic one day. xD;; I wrote a two pager fanfic(front and backs) on Friday, but of course it's not finished. I'd love to write with music on.. But if I bring my CD player to school I'm afraid it'll get stolen.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
Years
[SIZE="-7"]I always seem to type my stuff on the computer. I can't write it well...it just doesn't come to me there. Like no inspiration at all comes on paper. And it's gotta be completely quiet. Otherwise, I'll subconsciously rip off whatever I'm listening to. I'm not lying here...I sometimes type whole lyrics to songs accidentally and then realize it and be like "Ah crap". XD[/SIZE]

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
When I write, I can't be in my room. Seriously. I seem to write best or conceive the quirkiest ideas in either the shower or someplace else (especially at someone else's house). When I get an idea, I like to write the first part of it in a notebook or whatever other paper I have, and when I'm done or near a computer, I transfer all of my ideas (with some editing along the way) into a word processor. Therefore, my stories are usually 50% handwritten first.

I also can't have music in the background. It's too much of a distraction. Occasionally, I can write stories inspired by music (One of my best was spawned from four different songs.), but I just can't sit down and actually write while music is being played in the background.

Toadsworth

I'm bored..... Blerk...
Years
I always write on the computer... I got a story on the internet about pokemon... I have maked it with my friend. But we think about ti in summer vacation and type it out in the autumn and put it on the internet... But making it outside also sounds good.. But under the shower!?!

Hmph.. I got to sleep now anyway.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011
I don't think I could ever write my stories on paper, ever. I have extremely notorious bad-handwriting and sometimes I can't even decipher my own writing. I only write on paper when I have a line or two stuck in my head that I have to get out lest it be lost forever. Otherwise, I just type it, as I'm a ton faster typing and it's just easy in that way. As for music, almost always yes. Granted, I'm not the type for "lyricy" music, with only a few exceptions. I prefer listening to instrumental music from animé and video games and movies. ^_^ It helps me write.

Blazikens_Brushfire

The Blaziking!!
Years
Me, I type. Usually, its busy. I'm typing up a report, eating, playing video games, etc. but usually, i type fan fics. As of now, I'm finetuning one to post here. Music... eh, I don't listen to music a lot, but if I do, it's Gorillaz, or Linkin Park, or something.

Amy-chan

Has vacated the premises
Years
I write anywhere...no need to be picky...Once I wrote a fanfic while hanging upside-down from a tree(no lie). Inspiration can come at any time, any place, so I try to bring pencil and notebook wherever I go.

You probably would not be familiar with my fics(only the ones I shared on here back when I was a n00b...), but there are some I have yet to share with the public.

Breezy

Eee.
Years
I have two notebooks that I write in, one for one-shots and the other for my chaptered fics. Usually one of the two comes out during class, specifically U.S. History and Psychology. Because one is hella boring and the other I hate the teacher. =D Sometimes in Physics too, yeah.

Hell, all classes really. >>;

As for music, it's a given; I'm an Ipod whor- yeah. ^_^ It's a bad combination because I space out a lot when I have both of them out.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I write first on paper. I always have some sort of notebook and pen with me. Even in work. Inspiration could strike me at anytime. Besides, nothing says writing like the pen in your hand, the paper in front of you, and the blood on your forehead. (o_O;) It's easier to edit then too. I love the sight of all that evil red ink.

I write anywhere. Even in my backyard, sitting on the deck steps. Mostly I write in school though. When class gets out early, I sit at a little table in an alcove, the sun streaming in on to the paper. It's beautiful.

I listen to what's ever in my CD player. Mostly, like now, it's Phil Collins. Sometimes Aerosmith, sometimes Gordon Lightfoot, sometimes-but rarely-it's Japanese. Or else I listen to a mix tape of my favorite songs.

Last edited:

katiekitten

Is currently: Very happy
Years
I used to write my storie on paper, and still do if a computer is no way near. But I prefer to type, now. It's easier to edit. XD

Music? None. It distracts me. XD

Back