Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 19th, 2010 (01:38 PM). Edited April 19th, 2010 by PureGoober.
PureGoober
Minecrafter

I can't find a trainer editor for pokemon Emerald.
Does anyone have a link to one of them that is in english?

Also, does anyone know a program that you can add trainer's into the game and what not?

I can't find a trainer editor for pokemon Emerald.
Does anyone have a link to one of them that is in english?

Also, does anyone know a program that you can add trainer's into the game and what not?
Old April 19th, 2010 (02:09 PM).
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Look at the guy above you's Signature. Click tools factory. Look there.
Accept no imitations!
Old April 19th, 2010 (02:55 PM).
Muffin™
Knows your age

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Muffin™
I've searched this whole thread, but no luck; When I enter this new map I made using a warp, the game resets it's self. Then, when I try to go to the new map again, the game freezes. Help would be appreciated
Old April 19th, 2010 (03:23 PM).
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote originally posted by Muffin™:
I've searched this whole thread, but no luck; When I enter this new map I made using a warp, the game resets it's self. Then, when I try to go to the new map again, the game freezes. Help would be appreciated :)
Could be an AM problem. Try importing the map over, and/or change the size of the map and see if it helps.
Old April 19th, 2010 (03:53 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Is there a way to extract SSEQ files (of music) in Pokemon DS games without loosing the loop data? I'd like to know how.

@Matteron (96): In your sig, there is something that bothers me. The Dodaitose (Japanese Torterra) is incorrect. It's Dodaitosu. I'm not trying to be Mr. Perfect here, but it bothers me.
Bumping. If there isn't, than I will find a way.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old April 19th, 2010 (03:59 PM).
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Anyone know what Tool I use to edit the Pokemon Sprite and battle back images?

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old April 19th, 2010 (04:07 PM).
PureGoober
Minecrafter

Thanks.
One more, the main text editor is Advance Text, that is not compatible Pokemon Emerald. I'm not sure why. Is there a good text editor to go with Pokemon Emerald?
Old April 19th, 2010 (04:39 PM).
Aljam
Pierce the heavens
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by PureGoober:
Thanks.
One more, the main text editor is Advance Text, that is not compatible Pokemon Emerald. I'm not sure why. Is there a good text editor to go with Pokemon Emerald?
I'm afraid you are going to have to script. Some good scripting programs are XSE and PKSV. There are tons of tutorials in the Documents & Tutorials section.
Old April 19th, 2010 (04:41 PM).
Petz94
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Petz94
How would I go about removing scenes from the intro scene? Like I want to remove the option to name your rival.

Hack Tools I Use:
Advance Map 1.90
Advance Text
Advance Mart
Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor
Advance Pokemon Icon Editor
A-Trainer
Intro Ed
YAPE
Overworld Editor
XSE
FSF
Old April 19th, 2010 (04:45 PM).
PureGoober
Minecrafter

Quote originally posted by Aljam:
I'm afraid you are going to have to script. Some good scripting programs are XSE and PKSV. There are tons of tutorials in the Documents & Tutorials section.
There is no program like that? Ugh..
Old April 19th, 2010 (05:22 PM).
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Thanks.
A hex editor and table file.

Quote originally posted by Aljam:
He said text not scripts

Quote originally posted by Petz94:
How would I go about removing scenes from the intro scene? Like I want to remove the option to name your rival.
All ASM from what I know.

There is no program like that? Ugh..
A-text sucks. A hex editor is the best way to go if you only want to edit text. To make a more interesting hack try to learn scripting kay.
Accept no imitations!
Old April 19th, 2010 (05:34 PM).
PureGoober
Minecrafter

Quote originally posted by Gamer2020:

A hex editor and table file.

He said text not scripts

All ASM from what I know.

A-text sucks. A hex editor is the best way to go if you only want to edit text. To make a more interesting hack try to learn scripting kay.
Do you know where I can get a download link and some tutorials?
Old April 19th, 2010 (07:06 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Do you know where I can get a download link and some tutorials?
I don't know of any tutorials, but it's rather straightforward. Hex Workshop is good, but it has a restriction: the trial only lasts 30 days. I still need to uninstall it from my PC... I don't know if Crystal Tile works or not, I'll have to look into that. Also, if you are going to edit it, look for Pokeadv.tbl. It's going to be your best friend here (for hex editing, that is...)

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old April 19th, 2010 (07:43 PM).
Zeffy

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Could anyone explain how to use the preparemsg command in XSE?
Thanks, in advance.
Old April 19th, 2010 (08:31 PM).
Xirr0
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by Noririn:
Are you trying to edit overworld sprites or trainer sprites?

For overworld sprites use Overworld Editer RE which you can get in HackMew's tool thread (sorry I can't post links yet).

For trainer sprites, use unLZ GBA, you can also get the hacked version from HackMew's thread. Trainer sprites start at 1499 in unLZ GBA for Fire Red, not sure about other roms but they should be in that general area.

Thank you for your help. (Sorry, I have to type more because it keeps telling me my message is too short.)
Old April 19th, 2010 (11:52 PM).
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote originally posted by Zeffy:
Could anyone explain how to use the preparemsg command in XSE?
Thanks, in advance.
What about decompiling some in-game scripts and figuring it out yourself? :)
Old April 20th, 2010 (09:12 PM).
lmdst
Blast From the Past

Well, figures my first post here would be a question.

All right, so I've searched this place upside down to find out a means of changing whether a type is physical/special. Oh, I know what you're thinking - not this again! - but don't worry, I'm not going to ask about it. I gave up trying to find an answer for that one.

In my project, we've agreed that Ghost and Dark make more sense being the opposite of each other (in other words, Dark would be made from Special to Physical, and Ghost would be made from Physical to Special). Since I couldn't do it the easy way, I went with the hard way - switch around everything about the types.

It worked out, except for the name of the type during a battle when picking a move. (Because it's the only part of the game that doesn't use the icons) I figured - okay, let's just use Advance Text and change those around!

Weeell... I found the offsets and all, but. While the original text for ghost has like 8 characters I can use (It has some blank spaces for some reason), Dark only has four (no blank space). I figured this wouldn't be a problem since A-Text can repoint, but well. Once this is done, no text shows up during a battle when I have a Ghost(formerly Dark) move selected. (It just says "Type/______")

Any idea what might be causing this, or how it can be averted? I figure the best thing to do would be switch the pointers around instead of replacing the actual text, but I have no idea how to work with pointers in the first place (I can figure out my way with a hex editor but repointing is something I couldn't find a guide on). For reference, the rom I'm working on is US FireRed Version, the Ghost text is at 24F1CE and the Dark text is at 24F217. Thanks.
Old April 21st, 2010 (02:16 AM).
Bozster
Chief Lunatic

Does anyone know where the offsets start for footprint image data on Emerald? I know I've asked a question about footprints before, but I was hoping I could try a different method.
Thanks
Old April 21st, 2010 (06:14 AM).
metapod23
Hardened Trainer

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by lmdst:
Well, figures my first post here would be a question.

All right, so I've searched this place upside down to find out a means of changing whether a type is physical/special. Oh, I know what you're thinking - not this again! - but don't worry, I'm not going to ask about it. I gave up trying to find an answer for that one.

In my project, we've agreed that Ghost and Dark make more sense being the opposite of each other (in other words, Dark would be made from Special to Physical, and Ghost would be made from Physical to Special). Since I couldn't do it the easy way, I went with the hard way - switch around everything about the types.

It worked out, except for the name of the type during a battle when picking a move. (Because it's the only part of the game that doesn't use the icons) I figured - okay, let's just use Advance Text and change those around!

Weeell... I found the offsets and all, but. While the original text for ghost has like 8 characters I can use (It has some blank spaces for some reason), Dark only has four (no blank space). I figured this wouldn't be a problem since A-Text can repoint, but well. Once this is done, no text shows up during a battle when I have a Ghost(formerly Dark) move selected. (It just says "Type/______")

Any idea what might be causing this, or how it can be averted? I figure the best thing to do would be switch the pointers around instead of replacing the actual text, but I have no idea how to work with pointers in the first place (I can figure out my way with a hex editor but repointing is something I couldn't find a guide on). For reference, the rom I'm working on is US FireRed Version, the Ghost text is at 24F1CE and the Dark text is at 24F217. Thanks.
My guess is that maybe it's a text that can't be repointed? Because I'm guessing A-Text repoints dialogues, so that it adds that dialogue to some free space, then changes the enclosed dialogue script, like:

msgbox 0x111111 msg_face

the 0x111111 would be repointed to say 0x800000 and then I guess A-Text change the above script to "msgbox 0x800000 msg_face". But presumably the type descriptions you're talking about don't work the same way. They might not even have pointers, really. I don't know.

If I were you, I'd do a little more research. Use A-Text to find the offset for the Dark-type text in the game. Then open a Hex-Editor and go to that offset. Also, try viewing that offset in XSE's Hex Viewer and see where it's located and what's around it. In your hex editor, try reversing the offset (like, if it was offset 0x24F217, make it 17 F2 24 08) and doing a search for it to see if there are any pointers to it, and if it looks like there are, try manually changing them in the hex editor to the pointer to your own text.

That's how I would start trying to solve the problem anyway.
Old April 21st, 2010 (06:38 AM).
saintsalive
Beginning Trainer

I have a question that most of you will probably laugh at me for. XD
I am very, very new to ROM hacking. The most I've been able to do is make some fakemon (that I am very proud of), change the title screen, change names, change the map. Nothing beyond that.
AdvanceText or whatever it's called crashes on me, and Thingy-32 or whatever does the same. How do I edit text without one of these programs? Could anyone direct me to a tool that would work better for my computer (Windows Vista by the way)?
Thanks!
Old April 21st, 2010 (08:50 AM). Edited April 21st, 2010 by lmdst.
lmdst
Blast From the Past

Quote originally posted by metapod23:
If I were you, I'd do a little more research. Use A-Text to find the offset for the Dark-type text in the game. Then open a Hex-Editor and go to that offset. Also, try viewing that offset in XSE's Hex Viewer and see where it's located and what's around it. In your hex editor, try reversing the offset (like, if it was offset 0x24F217, make it 17 F2 24 08) and doing a search for it to see if there are any pointers to it, and if it looks like there are, try manually changing them in the hex editor to the pointer to your own text.
Ah, all right, that makes sense. I don't suppose anyone got around to changing type names and would know specifics, though?

But, then again, I just realized a big flaw in my plan. The move Curse now has its special effects to Dark-type pokémon as opposed to Ghost-type ones. This.... is an issue. I don't suppose there'd be a byte somewhere that determines the type this move affects?

EDIT: All right, I got it. These are my findings:

- Looking at the offsets for the GHOST and DARK text in a hex editor I found out it was just as I expected: the type names are all close together, separated by an FF, in their in-game order (Where Normal is the first, Fighting is the second, etc., and Dark is last). Some types have 00s in front of their names for some reason. So, assuming the FF is what tells the game to end the string and start with the next type's (shot in the dark here), I went and removed one of the 00s in the GHOST string, pulling everything back, and adding an extra character to the DARK string. (for this test, I simply repeated the last K)

- Testing it in the emulator and... just as I expected. The text for ghost now reads "HOST", and the text for dark reads "ARKK". This means the game calls upon the address of the first character through a different means, and the extra 00s between the names must be a result of changing character lengths around when translating the game from japanese to english. Thankfully for me, there are a couple 00s after the "DARK" text as well. I am not sure what their purpose is, as the data after that is for something else, but I'll take a shot in the dark and assume that at least one of those 00s has the same purpose as the 00s in the other type names, and can be successfully overwritten.

- I replace the FF after the DARK string with a text character, and the first 00 after it with an FF. The result? A resounding success! Aside from the unfortunate problem with Curse, Ghost and Dark have been fully switched around! Thanks, Metapod23, for opening my eyes.

For reference, the data begins at 0x24F1A0 with the string "NORMAL".

Quote originally posted by saintsalive:
AdvanceText or whatever it's called crashes on me, and Thingy-32 or whatever does the same. How do I edit text without one of these programs? Could anyone direct me to a tool that would work better for my computer (Windows Vista by the way)?
Thanks!
What do you mean it crashes on you? Does the program just won't open because it lacks a specific file (an .ocx or a .dll)? That could happen because it uses some kind of runtime library. All you need to do is obtain that file and put it either in the program's folder or in Windows\system32. I am not sure what the rules about that sort of thing here are, though, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to obtain the file you need.

I think I remember specifically using AdvanceText on Vista, so I don't think it's an OS issue.
Old April 22nd, 2010 (08:38 AM).
Petz94
Beginning Trainer

Does anyone know a way to remove the scene with Oak's Parcel in the Viridian City Pokemart?

Hack Tools I Use:
Advance Map 1.90
Advance Text
Advance Mart
A-Trainer
Intro Ed
YAPE
Overworld Editor
XSE
FSF
Old April 22nd, 2010 (11:55 AM).
Buizark
Always looking for an OU match

Nature: Calm
Delete the level script under header
Old April 22nd, 2010 (12:15 PM).
Petz94
Beginning Trainer

Quote originally posted by Buizark:
Delete the level script under header
Thank you. I enjoy easy solutions.

Hack Tools I Use:
Advance Map 1.90
Advance Text
Advance Mart
A-Trainer
Intro Ed
YAPE
Overworld Editor
XSE
FSF
Old April 22nd, 2010 (02:00 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
I'd like to edit specials. I know it requires ASM, and that the specials are located in a table somewhere. Can somebody tell me where the table is in Ruby version? And how to find the offset of where a special command is located?

Sponsored Links